• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have loved an all-star cast in this film but yeah, the writers hardly ever know what to do with the companions so I'm sure most of them would have been sidelined in one way or another. But is having them reduced to small credits cameos better? Eh.

And I guess I understand the "back to the roots" thing, though I still think they could have accomplished it with familiar characters.

When can we expect the tracklisting?

My guess is shortly after the film premiers. I guess they didn't want to spoil the plot with the tracklisting. Though if most of the score is remasters couldn't they just use the old names for each piece and avoid spoilers?

Even what they did makes more sense than that because at least it treats Misty and Brock equally, and doesn't retcon Dawn's goal to that of a vagabond.

So Brock and Misty fans aren't left out any more than fans of May, Max, Dawn, Iris, Cilan, Serena, Clemont, Bonnie, or Lillie (and the rest of the SM cast) are.

You forgot about Tracey.

tumblr_osxzjhgyM71rupjr0o1_500.png

They should have stuck to the DP crew.

They should have stuck to the XY crew.

While it would be a wonderful dream to see every single one of Ash's companions together for one big event, it would be a hell of a hassle to do em justice since there's so many of em and some of them would be pushed to the sidelines (basically they wouldn't do much).

I wouldn't actually mind that. They can all have cameos with Pikachu and Ash as the main characters. Imagine, Ash and the SM gang going on a cruise, only to find that all of his past companions are on the same cruise as well. He has cute interactions with all of them. It is revealed that some legendary/mythical pokemon brought them all together because reasons. Ash defeats whatever evil there is and saves the day with the help of all his previous companions. They have an epic party on the cruise to celebrate.

And May's VA doesn't even do voice acting anymore, so they'd have to recast her.

May can have a sore throat throughout the movie. She'll only grunt and stuff.

They could have had the movie involve Ash's flashbacks - preferably with new scenes - that Ash would recall on his way to meeting Ho-Oh (see Lucario's flashbacks with Aaron). That way each cast would get at least 5 minutes of special screentime just among themselves. Also...

That dream about Ash in the real world would have featured all his real companions as classmates. That way having everyone together wouldn't feel contrived - it would be a dream.

For May, either all of her scenes would be old, or Kaori would be replaced just as Megumi and Ikue were during paternity leave...

Last edited:
While it would be a wonderful dream to see every single one of Ash's companions together for one big event, it would be a hell of a hassle to do em justice since there's so many of em and some of them would be pushed to the sidelines (basically they wouldn't do much).

True, it would have been difficult to handle such big cast. However, it didn't have to be filled with deep moments and interactions to be interesting.

Even the little things would have mattered, like having Misty and Lana partaking to a fishing competition. Or Mallow, Brock and Cilan exchanging recipes and tips about cooking. Or Sophocles geeking about Clemont's inventions. Or Max and Bonnie interacting and talking about their dreams as future Pokémon Trainers. Or May, Dawn and Serena challenging each other in a Contest match. And so on.

Basically, all those things probably would have taken around 30-40 minutes, before the true plot kicked in. We could have gotten something like… a mysterious shadow, aka Marshadow, attacking many Trainers (including Makoto and Soji, if we want to add them as movie-exclusive characters) during a trip, like a summer camp or a cruise, and the group investigating about this mysterious entity, which seems to be looking for something that will be revealed at the end.

It would have been feasible, but they preferred to follow a "back to the roots" approach. Not that it was a bad idea, since a retelling to introduce the origins of the anime to the newest generations is nice, but by looking at the reactions of the summaries it seems that this decision is backfiring hard, whether it is because of the execution of the plot, for missing nostalgia factor or for other reasons.

I'm going to wait and judge the movie by myself, but it's a pity that the 20th anniversary movie is receiving such terrible reception. At times, I wonder if the writers truly know what fans really wish and hope. Not saying that they should listen to all the fans' requests, because that would be impossible, but at least try to respect the general wishes of the fanbase.

The plot should have been like this:

1. An exact retelling of the first episode (20 minutes).
2. Flashforward to the gap between XY and SM. Ash is no longer as boring as in XYZ. Ash has been bestowed the Rainbow Wing and is motivated to find Ho-Oh after all this time. (5 minutes)
3. Team Rocket inform Giovanni of Ash's plan. They intend to let him summon Ho-Oh and then attack. (5 minutes)
4. During his quest on Mt. Tensei, Marshadow would draw out Ash's core experiences in his previous journeys. This would involve scenes featuring all the companions, main rivals (Gary and Paul) and at least the starters. (30 minutes)
5. Plot shenanigans with Marshadow, Team Rocket/Giovanni and Ho-Oh. Preferably with a better payoff than Ash losing to Ho-Oh as if the whole quest were pointless. (30 minutes)

Any questions?

Last edited:
If a reunion episode were to happen, it would be on Ash's birthday. Or if they used a timeskip featuring an older Ash, a wedding.

Though I will say that this negative reaction is rather overblown in regards to the missing companions. The movie itself has always called itself an AU from the very beginning. As such, continuity is subject to change. But I will say that the movie does open the question as to whether or not keeping Ash for new generations is actually a good idea. Specially, the same Ash from the original.

The movie itself has always called itself an AU from the very beginning. As such, continuity is subject to change.
Lol, no. A silly hat is not akin to the movie being promoted as an AU - just read Yuyama's quote. Games like FRLG revamped Red's design but kept the original story virtually unchanged.

Also, that is such a strawman argument when it doesn't matter when people should have expected an AU. The point is what should have happened.

Lol, no. A silly hat is not akin to the movie being promoted as an AU.

Also, that is such a strawman argument when it doesn't matter when people should have expected an AU. The point is what should have happened.

Since when did Ash wear that kind of hat at the beginning of Kanto? If it's a sincere retelling, it would have Ash wear the exact same hat as he did in the original. As such, the draw of this M20 is not how similar it is to the original but rather how different it is to the original.

As to whether or not it should have happened... Considering how many others are attempting creating to their own version of the Pokémon anime world to improve it, I say the act of creating an AU opens a whole new wave of possibilities and rejuvenation.

Since when did Ash wear that kind of hat at the beginning of Kanto? If it's a sincere retelling, it would have Ash wear the exact same hat as he did in the original. As such, the draw of this M20 is not how similar it is to the original but rather how different it is to the original.
1. Games like FRLG revamped Red's design but kept the original story virtually unchanged.
2. The hat could have been alluding to a post-XY adventure in Kanto.
3. Again, this is really not my point; I did expect an AU to begin with (just a less pointless one). I won't waste more time on this.

As to whether or not it should have happened... Considering how many others are attempting creating to their own version of the Pokémon anime world to improve it, I say the act of creating an AU opens a whole new wave of possibilities and rejuvenation.
Say what? We don't need the staff's permission to create fanfics better than this movie.

Maybe, just maybe, the sea of negativity about this movie shouldn't be handwaved?

Last edited:
1. Games like FRLG revamped Red's design but kept the original story virtually unchanged.
2. The hat could have been alluding to a post-XY adventure in Kanto.

Say what? We don't need the staff's permission to create fanfics.

1. There were similar beats, but the original story was changed quite a bit. Didn't recall Red going to the Sevii Islands in Gen I. Nor Giovanni reverting back to his old ways. Nor Mega Rayquaza saving the day and fighting Deoxys in Gen III. Nor Ash getting the Rainbow Feather on what appears to be his first day as a trainer. The appeal of remakes isn't how much remains the same, but how much has changed. ORAS is a good example of that.

2. But that's not the impression people got. The original music, the obscuring of Ash's face, and the title tells me this was going back to the original roots. If it was implying a post-XY adventure, it would have told us from the start.

Separate the wheat from the shaff. I could reply to those points (for one thing, the Sevii Islands, Giovanni event never contradicted original events) if the topic were really about fans' expectations not being in check. The point is that very few people are interested in an AU and even the staff considered another idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom