• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The notion that the original timeline is gone from some of you completely contradicts the fact that they're hyping the original Ash hat and original story in Pokémon go and SM. The movie hat being different is to signal this was not a replacement of the original timeline.

Wrong thread, and what the hell do Go and SM have to do with the anime? Those are just easter eggs. USUM are going to feature the movie hat, too.

Show me Ash's original hat in the SM series and then we'll talk.

Last edited:
Some of them have watched it.

And this may be shocking, but it's a bigger deal if they choose not to watch it at all. Actions speak louder than words.

Everything has been spoiled, anyway.

Wow, those comments were a real punch in the gut. My dream was to have a movie with an "all star cast" as they put it. And speaking solely from a writing perspective (I know there would have been some logistical issues that would've had to be addressed) it should be possible. I've read plenty of fanfictions from amateur writers who don't get paid to do what they do that feature a majority of the cast that are fantastic. The fact that there are doubts that the anime writers could handle such a task (which I do agree with) speaks volumes.

I do have to say, though, after seeing the summaries, maybe all those old characters were better off being left out. The characters they made up for the movie honestly sound bland, boring, and utterly useless to the plot. I'd rather never care about those characters than have the characters I'm already attached to and enjoy reduced to nothing but background decoration.

To me it sounds like the idea was brought in the early stages of production during brainstorming and then realized it was not feasible for several reason(can be how expensive it would be considering Iris,Dawn and Cilan have famous VA's, May's Va being sick, too much characters to handle,etc)

View: http://0chazuke.tumblr.com/post/162868304812/to-the-anon-who-sent-me-this-pic-the-translation

"As long as it is the anime series, Ash will inevitably become the hero; therefore for this movie, I wanted him back as a typical 10-year-old boy that becomes frustrated and carelessly say abusive stuff when losing a battle. This movie portrays a weaker Ash but, on the other hand, also show lengths that exceed the line that Satoshi and Pikachu could not cross until now. I would like the viewers to pay attention to this."

"Let's show Ash being a dick. But that won't fly in the tv series, so let's make it a different Ash so he can get away with being a dick"

Coma Theory v2.0: M20 is Paul in a coma dreaming he's Ash.

I'm so torn about what the movie will contain. I'm hoping Ash vs Erika is a bit longer.

Seeing the whole cast even if for a minute is better than nothing I suppose. I feel similar about the latest Yugioh movie:

All important characters were brought back, yet not Mai Valentine? You know, a woman with a story and represented as one of the only few female duelists for a long while. Even those who came after her did not hold as much weight as she did.

But back to Pokemon...

As long as it is the anime series, Ash will inevitably become the hero; therefore for this movie, I wanted him back as a typical 10-year-old boy that becomes frustrated and carelessly say abusive stuff when losing a battle. This movie portrays a weaker Ash but, on the other hand, also show lengths that exceed the line that Satoshi and Pikachu could not cross until now. I would like the viewers to pay attention to this.
Unacceptable. I have no interest in seeing Ho-Oh accept a self-centered brat with a huge attitude problem. Just because the plot makes Pikachu quickly move past the insult doesn't make it okay.

Also, notice how he says "wanted him back" as if OS Ash were ever like this. He was immature and irritable with Misty (in a charming way), but he was never a dick to his own Pokemon.

Last edited:
Unacceptable. I have no interest in seeing Ho-Oh accept a self-centered brat with a huge attitude problem. Just because the plot makes Pikachu quickly move past the insult doesn't make it okay.

Also, notice how he says "wanted him back" as if OS Ash were ever like this. He was immature and irritable with Misty (in a charming way), but he was never a dick to his own Pokemon.

Didn't he try to force Pikachu into battle when Pikachu didn't want to? Like in Path to the Pokémon League? Or Electric Shock Showdown? There is also the fact that when people are in a bad mood, they'll lash out to anyone close by regardless if those people are at fault. I know that from experience.

And also note, there is no Misty with Ash. As such, a strained relationship would end up going to his longest companion at that time, Pikachu (Misty was the second longest due to how she joined Ash on that same day and a lot more vocal).

Not to mention that there were a lot of missed opportunities in the past. Such as the botched execution of the fourth episode, which was supposed to make Ash learn that he should not blame others for his mistakes... except the episode failed to demonstrate how it's Ash's fault in the first place.

"Abusive stuff" is kind of a gross way to put it. I understand what that quote is trying to convey, but abusive is a very poor choice of words. OS Ash did act like a 10 year old, which includes the frustration and the rashness and all of that. But being "abusive" was never part of Ash's character.

I understand it could just be a translation thing, but quite frankly, regardless of that, I'm extremely unhappy with the word "abusive" being associated with Ash.

Didn't he try to force Pikachu into battle when Pikachu didn't want to? Like in Path to the Pokémon League? Or Electric Shock Showdown?
Yeah, those 5-second gags are totally the same thing!

There is also the fact that when people are in a bad mood, they'll lash out to anyone close by regardless if those people are at fault. I know that from experience.
First of all, that depends on the context - and it doesn't exactly make those people good. Raising your voice at someone is okay, but telling them that you regret ever meeting them is way worse unless they did something messed up, themselves.

Secondly, the worst part is what Ash tells himself after he insults Pikachu. You can tell how screwed up his mindset was.

He wanted to catch Ho-Oh to replace Pikachu. Marshadow had to teach him a lesson by lulling him into a nighmare. That implies that he would have continued being a dick otherwise.

Another controversy is what made Marshadow decide to kill everyone other than just Cross. It implies that Ash left a bad impression, too. Certainly, his heroism was only shown when he tried to save Pikachu twice (and I won't give Yuyama credit for the first time since it was lifted from Shudo's script), which is rather messed up. It's as if everything between the beginning and ending added nothing positive.

And also note, there is no Misty with Ash. As such, a strained relationship would end up going to his longest companion at that time, Pikachu (Misty was the second longest due to how she joined Ash on that same day and a lot more vocal).
But his interactions with Misty were never really offensive, either. His inner thoughts about her never reflected something demeaning.

And AU Ash was being a dick to Makoto and Soji, too. That should have been enough to make him less prone to lash out against Pikachu. What's the point of taking your anger on a Pokemon that can't engage in a conversation?

Not to mention that there were a lot of missed opportunities in the past. Such as the botched execution of the fourth episode, which was supposed to make Ash learn that he should not blame others for his mistakes... except the episode failed to demonstrate how it's Ash's fault in the first place.
Debatable (since Ash did act recklessly by checking the Pokedex instead of recalling Metapod right away) and irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make. It is not that the writing at that point in the movie is "botched" so much as it portrays AU Ash in a very negative light as a person. Yuyama's choice of words goes to show that the writing was on point... In contrast, the Samurai episode showed that OS Ash cared about Metapod at every step of the way.

Last edited:
...but he was never a dick to his own Pokemon.

Bayleaf would like a word with you. In fact, this incident with Pikachu reminds me a lot of when he told Bayleaf off for no reason... he wasn't thinking, said some hurtful things and then soon regretted it. Accepted, it's not nice to imagine Satoshi, even an AU version, saying any of this to his Pokemon (especially Pikachu) but it's not as if it's without precedent albeit rare.

Except he did have a reason to be upset with Bayleef since she was constantly hurting him physically. And since he was so surprised to see Bayleef leave, he obviously never intended to alienate her (Brock even says that Bayleef wasn't thinking logically), which is not what happens in the movie.

He leaves Pikachu behind and then tells the audience exactly what he thinks - he was thinking. He very much intended to hurt Pikachu over nothing it was responsible for. That is what abusive means.

I am not placing OS Ash on a pedestal. I just think that he was never shown to have bad intentions, and no contrived plot device was needed to make him realize his mistakes. Misty/Brock telling him off was enough.

Last edited:
From Adamant, a more accurate translation of the so-called "abusive" nature:

Adamant said:
...yeah, let's just post a more accurate translation of that:

Q: The scenes where Satoshi seems unsure about how to treat Pikachu felt really new and different.

A: In the anime series, Satoshi always ends up acting heroically, so in this movie I wanted to turn him back into a normal 10-year old boy that can accidentally end up insulting others in the heat of the moment when he loses a battle. However, I'd like you to focus on how Satoshi is not merely depicted as weak, we also show Satoshi and Pikachu grow so much they exceed the limit of what we've shown prior to this.

Given how he acted in Path to the Pokémon League... That aspect is not completely unfounded.

And what if AJ wasn't around for Ash to insult? Who would he have to vent his anger at then? A wall? Or perhaps his own Pokémon?

Are you kidding me? The reason he was upset was AJ and how the entire battle felt off.

He clearly expressed his belief that training shouldn't be serious business and that friendship comes first. This is what you consider a comparison to AU Ash?

I wouldn't have a problem with Ash insulting Cross. That does not seem to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom