• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Magnets, Shells and Fishermon: Interacting Evolutions?

Instrutilus

Me am stalking bug
Reaction score
So, I was busy the other day when a random thought crossed my head: Magnemite need three of them to evolve. Simple enough, but then it made me wonder: what do people do when Pokémon require another Pokémon to evolve in their fics? Do you merely have them grow out of the original 'mon, or do you have some other reasoning behind it?

For the Travelsverse, I have it so Pokémon that need the other stop what they're doing and actively seek the other out: for example, a Slowpoke hits 37, it will finish the battle at hand and then abandon the trainer to go fishing for Shellder. Trainers can stop them (Press B) or allow them to go and expect their return shortly after...unless there's no Shellder in the area, whereupon Slowpoke will go to where they can be found and fish anyway. Beldum and Magnemite, meanwhile, emit a signal when they reach their respective evolutionary levels and an or two equal level 'mon speed toward it to complete the process.

Well then how do you evolve Pokémon into Multimon?

Well, in the case of, say, Deino becoming Zweilous, I'd have the other head burst from his chest.

With, say, Slowpoke to Slowbro, I'd have him slowly crap out a Shellder which clamps onto his tail, transforming into a Broshell.

Magnemite to Magneton, however, would be simpler; it just takes some scrap metal and makes copies. But, what of Klink and his evos?

I never really give it much thought. I rarely have on-screen evolutions. Silcoon to Beautifly happened while Wasaki was unconscious. Prinplup to Empoleon happened in the time between the stories. Enya's Camerupt evolved off screen as well, with the battle not shown, but the house burning down and exploding, with Flannery flying out, and the walls falling apart revealed that it evolved.

Some other stories did have evolutions in them, but I try to make them creative. In one story, I had the main character struggle against a villain in Bill's grandfather's house. They battle for the Thunderstone, the hero for her Eevee, because she needs to defeat Misty, and the villain for his Pikachu, because he wants a stronger Pokémon. I think I had Eevee jump onto the stone, or the stone chucked at Eevee, but either way, it's cover shattered and the particles cover Eevee's fur, go into the genetics, and it evolved; it wasn't that detailed in the story, though. In another scene, I had the evolution trigger for the two Nidoran while they were trying to protect their trainers and each other.

But what if a Magnemite evolves and combines with a Magnemite from another trainer? Who gets to keep the Magneton? Interesting concept for a fic, actually.

I tend to zig-zag across the line on this one. Magneton/Beldum/Metang have the ability to fuse together and Slowpoke can use a Shellder-clamp to evolve, but these are shortcuts to their evolution. If the Pokémon are strong enough, they can produce their own upon the evolution process, which in most cases is the preferred method in domesticated situations. If the "shortcut" fusion methods are used, one personality remains dominant upon evolution (in the case of Slowbro/Slowking, this is always the Slowpoke) and the other becomes recessive, like a voice in the back of your head. This can actually be detrimental to a Pokémon's mental stability, though in some cases having a second, internal personality to offer a different opinion can be beneficial. In the case that two Pokémon of opposing trainers undergo this method of evolution (which most trainers are against due to the possibility of losing a teammate), the choice of trainer is generally given to the Pokémon, with the trainers having to work out ownership rights between themselves if that doesn't work out.

Bit of a convoluted way of handling it, I admit, but it works as a medium between both camps. In any case, the form-changing isn't actually shown when I write - it's more like in the anime, where the Pokémon in question begins to glow brightly, morphs, and then fades back to normal colors. It's typically too bright for normal human eyes to look at.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom