• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Megaevolutions' names in Alpha/Omega

Bono

Empoleon Bonaparte
Reaction score
I was thinking that maybe the names of the remakes have something to do with the megaevolution exclusives.
For example, if Swampert gets two mega-evolutions depending on the game (like Charizard/Mewtwo), their names would be Mega Swampert α & Mega Swampert Ω (like Mega Charizard X & Mega Charizard Y). That may be the reason why the games are not called something more obvious like Magma Ruby, 'cause the name of the evo would be something ridic like Mega Swampert Magma. Do I make sense?

Yes, you do, and you're probably right.
And it makes even more sense since Alpha and Omega, like X and Y, are two letters.
But what I'm wondering is, if they DO give two mega evos to some Pokemon with Alpha and Omega, will they actually USE the greek symbols, or will they use the names for the symbols, OR, will they use the first letters for the symbols?

For example, if Rayquaza got two mega evos, would they be Mega Rayquaza Ω and Mega Rayqauaza Α (note: capital Alpha is actually the same as capital A), or would they just be Mega Rayquaza Omega and Mega Rayquaza Alpha, OR, would they be Mega Rayquaza O and Mega Rayquaza A.

I do hope they use just the symbols, but is the symbol for Omega even programmed into the games? I'm guessing it's not, so that's one reason why they might not do that.
If they use the names for the symbols, like you said, the name would become ridiculously long, so they probably won't do that.
They might just use "O" and "A", but, imo, "O" is just not as cool as "Omega".

OR, what if I'm COMPLETELY wrong and there is NO Pokemon that gets two mega evos, so they can avoid this entirely?
Only time will tell.

You're right. But I think for the whole game exclusivity they'll give different mega-evolutions in each version. If they do, I think they would use the greek symbols.

I don't see why there should be more Pokémon with two Mega Evolutions, except for Zygarde (judging from its moves) which shouldn't be related to these games.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom