• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MPAA wants you to pay for Home Theather System Fees! =( - Satire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hikari-chan

Pokémon Cordinator
Reaction score
Los Angeles , CA - The MPAA is lobbying congress to push through a new bill that would make unauthorized home theaters illegal. The group feels that all theaters should be sanctioned, whether they be commercial settings or at home.

MPAA head Dan Glickman says this needs to be regulated before things start getting too far out of control, "We didn't act early enough with the online sharing of our copyrighted content. This time we're not making the same mistake. We have a right to know what's showing in a theater."

The bill would require that any hardware manufactured in the future contain technology that tells the MPAA directly of what is being shown and specific details on the audience. The data would be gathered using various motion sensors and biometric technology.

The MPAA defines a home theater as any home with a television larger than 29" with stereo sound and at least two comfortable chairs, couch, or futon. Anyone with a home theater would need to pay a $50 registration fee with the MPAA or face fines up to $500,000 per movie shown.

"Just because you buy a DVD to watch at home doesn't give you the right to invite friends over to watch it too. That's a violation of copyright and denies us the revenue that would be generated from DVD sales to your friends," said Glickman. "Ideally we expect each viewer to have their own copy of the DVD, but we realize that isn't always feasible. The registration fee is a fair compromise.

The bill also stipulates that any existing home theaters be retrofitted with the technology or else the owner is responsible for directly informing the MPAA and receiving approval before each viewing.

*explodes*

Last edited:
That sounds so utterly ridiculous, I think it has to be a joke.

This'll never pass, certainly not with their guidelines. America's got better things to do than worry about people's big screen TV's and furniture.

Though, considering how Plasma TV sells at about the same price as a truck, I doubt the buyer would notice an extra 50$ tacked on, they probably pay more in sales tax.

Unfortunately, it's the MPAA. Hard to believe this as something they WOULDN'T cook up.

sourced

I call shenanigans, there's absolutely no way anyone could approve of that.

The bill would require that any hardware manufactured in the future contain technology that tells the MPAA directly of what is being shown and specific details on the audience. The data would be gathered using various motion sensors and biometric technology.
Considering a good number of people meet those 'home theater' requirements within their private residence, if that isn't violation of privacy right there, I don't know what is.

edit: beaten by Argy. this little thing is just a ludicrous hoax.
Besides, I typically think of MPAA as being mild mannered compared with the rilely RIAA. It's just not something I think they'd pull.

Last edited:
Yeah, check the bottom of the link Rayne posted. Says that they're satire.

The fact that they specified comfortable chairs is what got me suspicious.

Thank God it's fake.

Because I would get really ticked if someone really thought they had the right to do that. <.<

The article is fake.

Oh noes! Read the comments.

Well, it'd have helped to have a source in the first post to actually know one way or the other but... meh.

Still, i'll be waiting around for the day the MPAA actually does come up with this or something similar.

Hell, maybe they've already picked the idea up after reading this themselves? :O

And this is why sourcing is good. The "Satire" in the title is recent. Why is this in the Soap Box still. This should be moved to the Geeky Misc. forum unless we're going to debate the MPAA or something.

Yeah, I caught this one floating around the intarwebs. This one was a bit harder to identify as satire than some of BBspot's other great "articles" (read them!). It's funny, but quite dark--I wouldn't put it past the self-serving MPAA to come up with some bullshit very much like this before they FINALLY realize that the old goods-based business model is defunct in the age of digital media. I sincerely hope the marriage of Viiv and Vista in the church of DRM does not become a downhill slope toward seizing ALL of our consumer rights now.

f**k the MPAA

The MPAA is lobbying congress to push through a new bill that would make unauthorized home theaters illegal. The group feels that all theaters should be sanctioned, whether they be commercial settings or at home.
Another reason to loathe our increasingly ridiculous, politically correct, globalist, "you either support the agenda or you're a terrorist", give up our civil liberties for globalism and (percieved) "saftey and security" society. Besides, what other shit would you expect from the OPEC of the movie biz?

Another reason to loathe our increasingly ridiculous, politically correct, globalist, "you either support the agenda or you're a terrorist", give up our civil liberties for globalism and (percieved) "saftey and security" society. Besides, what other shit would you expect from the OPEC of the movie biz?

Psst, Otter/Mii-kun, I'll let you in on a little secret: That article is fake. Usually implicit in the word "satire." :)

But I agree, global corporate rule is upon us, sold to us under the name "democracy."

new world order

global corporate rule is upon us, sold to us under the name "democracy."
One World Dictatorship is more like it. Just like those countires that have "Democratic Republic" or "People's" in their full name (like PRofChina and North Korea)
Fake or not, like Doc Oak and I said, what else should one expect from MPAA(PEC)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom