• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rules New Forum Rules (updated May 19 2011)

$aturn¥oshi

Stealin' cars.
Reaction score
Hello! These are the up-to-date rules of Bulbagarden, which we expect you to follow! If you don't follow them, you will receive warnings and infractions. If you get too many infraction points, you may be banned (prevented from posting):

10 active infraction points: 2 day ban.
20 active infraction points: 10 day ban
30 active infraction points: 1 month ban
40 active infraction points: 4 month ban
50 active infraction points: Indefinite ban (permanent except in really, really, really exceptional circumstances).

Before receiving an infraction worth 3 points or less, you must have received a warning. Note that when a moderator posts in public to tell you (or to tell everyone) to stop doing something, this counts as a warning. Moderators always have the right to give you a warning instead of an infraction, or an infraction instead of an aggravated infraction, but (except the one noted just above) have no obligation to do that.

In some cases, breaking a rule may count as a SEVERE violation, which will result in you getting more points than usual. These cases include:
-Having a past infraction of the same type
-Posting just to break a rule, or something that really obviously breaks a rule (shock images, etc).
-Having 10 or more active infraction points.
-Some rules also have specific cases which count as severe violations.

When you get an infraction for a severe violation, and that infraction gets your point total to 10 or more, the administrators may chose to give you a suitable additional punishment.

If you think you have received an infraction you didn't deserve, you should contact the staff member who gave it, and discuss it with him or her. If after the discussion (or if the staff member refuses to discuss it) you still feel the moderator made a mistake or was biased against you, you can ask for a Conduct Review Board. The rules of the Conduct Review Board are here.

Several forums have their own specific rules, or their own modification to the rules. Check these out!

Finally, we're not going to infract people for forum glitches. We ask that you try and delete extra posts when that happens, but we won't punish you for it.

The Infractions:

Multiple Posts
(2 points normally, 6 for severe violations):
Each post should be unique. If you only want to make a small change to your post, you should EDIT it, and if you want to respond to multiple people, you can do it in one post (use the MULTI-QUOTE feature if you want to quote them): don't use separate posts. We also shouldn't have two threads for the same thing on the first page of a forum, and we shouldn't have people answering or asking questions that already have been answered (unless the answer was bad). Again, we won't infract you for forum glitches!
Posting multiple really similar or identical posts in a short period can result can be a severe violation.
You can find a tutorial on how to use the "edit" and "multiquote" features here.

Incoherent/Unreadable Post
(2 points, 6 for severe violations)
All posts have to be readable (that means "basic grammar and presentation") and to make some sort of sense. Posts that are too poorly presented or make too little sense to read are not welcome. Generally, we also ask that posts be made in English, except in relevant threads (it's alright to post stuff in Japanese when discussing new Japanese episode titles or summaries), or unless you provide an English translation of your foreign-language content. In some cases, this infraction can also apply to thread titles that say nothing about what's in the thread.
Posting in gibberish (Words that just don't exist) can be a severe violation.

Wrong/Banned Topic
(2 points, 6 for severe violations)
Posts should have something to do with the topic of the thread they're in (or the topic of the forum they're in, for new threads). If a thread is user specific (fanfic/art/trades), it's also for that user. Posts also should not be about banned topics (what topics are banned depend on individual forum rules).
Making a post about a banned topic that's likely to start a flame war can be a severe violation, as can deliberately hijacking someone else's thread.

Pointless Post
(3 points, 6 for severe violations)
All posts have to say something useful. That can be as simple as quoting a post and saying "I agree" (so long as you don't do that too often), but it has to contribute to the thread somehow. Generally, posting to point out rules or to say "we already have this thread!" is pointless (unless a mod is doing it); report it to the staff instead.
Posting to say a thread is useless, boring or uninteresting can be a severe violation.

Unacceptable Signature
(3 points, 6 aggravated):
Signatures should not be wider than 575 pixels, taller than 160 pixels, and the total file size of all images in a signature should not exceed 500 kilobytes. Spoiler tags cannot be used in sigs. (Note that staff members, as part of the perks they get for working here, may have somewhat larger signatures and images).
When you receive this infraction, you have one day from the time of your next post to change your signature so it matches the rule; if you do not, you may be infracted again. You can get help here.

(Note: Sigs are also subject to Copyright Violation, Inappropriate Content and Flaming and Baiting rules)

Copyright Violation

(4 points, 10 for severe violations) :
Members may not request or provide help to illegally view copyrighted content, and may not in any way admit to using ROMs. YouTube and similar links are allowed, except YouTube links to full pokémon episodes or movies (in part or whole). Mentioning fan translation in general is permitted, but not specific translation groups or projects. Finally, when putting someone else's fanworks in your forum or blog post, you should at least note that it is not yours and if possible credit the creator.
Posting direct links to full episodes, games or chapters, and presenting other people's fanwork as yours, is a severe violation, barring exceptional circumstances.
(SEVERAL forums have specific rules regarding YouTube link and crediting fanart, be sure to check!)

Inappropriate Content
(4 points, 10 for severe violations).
Members may not post anywhere on the forums (including galleries, blogs and social groups) anything that contains or describes excessively graphic violence, nudity, sexual acts, excrement, or similar shocking images. Except in sigs, and, in reasonable amount, in their own blogs, they also may not advertise another website (including youtube channels, blogs, etc).
(Bulbagarden affiliates get a certain degree of leeway for advertising their sites).
Images of people having sex, images showing genitals or a woman's nipples, posts supporting murder (including terrorism and genocide), and posting to argue about the quality of other fansites (youtube channels, etc) will generally be severe violations.

Flaming and Baiting
(5 points, 10 for severe violations):
Posts, avatars, signatures, user titles and visible profile information may not contain attacks or insults against other members (this include picking on them because of their grammar and spelling, or the content of their posts). They also may not contain threats (including threats to report them, or even saying you have reported them), attempts to anger them (gloating, mockery, etc) or attempts to pester them.
Threatening to hurt or kill another member is generally a severe violation.

Replying to Spambot
(Always 2 points)
Never reply to advertisement thread created by a spambot; this tends to attract more of them. Like other 2 point infractions, this one is always to be preceded by a warning.

Illegal Sockpuppeting
(Always 10 points):
Except for some games and activities the staff organize, you can't have more than one account. Having more than one means your main account will get this infraction.
If someone living with you (your siblings, etc) is also a member of Bulbagarden, you should advise the staff to avoid confusion.

Illegal Hacking/Trading
(Always 10 points)
If you agree to a trade here, you do the trade the way you agreed – if you ruin a trade or steal from someone, you'll get this. If you want to trade a hacked Pokemon, you tell people beforehand. And before sending someone a code or hack, you test it to make sure it won't ruin their game.

Illegal Account
(Always 60 points)
That's the infraction we give to accounts created as sockpuppets (see above), or to evade a ban. We give a similar infraction (SpamBot account) to account created, usually by machine, just to post stupid commercial ads; but if you're reading this chances are you're not affected.

-----------

Forum-Specific Suspension

In addition to infractions, there are some situations that may result in you being suspended from a specific forum (for example: The Garden Grotto). This means you will not be able to see that forum, or post in it, until an administrator decides to give you access to that forum again. Situations that may result in those bans include:

1. Being banned from Bulbapedia may result in a suspension from the Bulbapedia discussion forum.
2. Receiving an infraction for stealing someone else's fanwork and presenting it as your own may result in a suspension from the Writer's Workshop and/or the artist alcove.
3. Repeated violations of the Real World's rules may result in suspension from the Real World.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: New Forum Rules (as of Feb 16, 2011)

About the unreadable posts rule, would a post full of internet talk be suitable in threads such as Random Messages 7?

Such as "OH HAI THAR!"

Or should we try to limit the amount of those kinds of posts made?

I think that's about the only place where it would be passable. As long as the gist of the message passes through.

I've seen some groups that classed under inappropriate content.
Is this a new rule or has these groups gone unnoticed?

Well their words not mine, remember that.

One of other are "Breasts or kindly leave" and such as.
If they are what I think they are, I've seen under age members belonging to these type of groups.

Well their words not mine, remember that.

One of other are "Breasts or kindly leave" and such as.
If they are what I think they are, I've seen under age members belonging to these type of groups.
That group is private and of a PG nature.

Is it just me, or are the rules here becoming tighter and tighter with each new revision of them? What's up with that, anyway?

With an ever growing community it becomes necessary for more stricter guidelines to be implemented. At least that's what I think.

Is it just me, or are the rules here becoming tighter and tighter with each new revision of them? What's up with that, anyway?

I'd say clearer rather than tighter - half the point of changing the rules here was to get mods to stop infracting trivial things or to tell the mods that something is NOT against the rules.

We've also expressly underlined things we just didn't bother explaining before. Like gloating at people being a form of trolling (because, seriously, "Nyuk nyuk you lost you lost so badly"? That IS trolling, and has always been. We're just making it extra-clear now.

Finally we added a few rules for things that we always thought were against SOME rule, but weren't sure which rules we should use for. (EG, incoherent post)

I'd say clearer rather than tighter - half the point of changing the rules here was to get mods to stop infracting trivial things or to tell the mods that something is NOT against the rules.

We've also expressly underlined things we just didn't bother explaining before. Like gloating at people being a form of trolling (because, seriously, "Nyuk nyuk you lost you lost so badly"? That IS trolling, and has always been. We're just making it extra-clear now.

I still dunno, it seems like some of the clarifications seem more open to warping than they were prior. Like the "inappropriate content" thing, as demonstrated in this very topic. Basically, it could be taken to mean all content remotely fitting the description, be it a vivid description in a Writer's Forum story in the name of writing, a passing remark about the breast size of the cute girl you saw, or even mention that you lost your virginity.

The copyright violation rules now seem completely overrun with paranoia, too. Despite so many sites freaking out at mere mention of anything related, now extending to include this one more than ever, I have not once in my life seen a site shut down over people simply mentioning such things. Not once. There are even some sites wholely dedicated to those sorts of things that have been running strong for over a decade now, though not to say that's the best strategy. Personally, I'd feel more comfortable if the rule was to keep mention of them to a minimum, and speak easy if you can. I'm fine with disallowing distribution and heavy discussion and the like, but an outright ban on everything and anything is just embarrassingly fear-riddled.

"Incoherent/Unreadable Post" is another one I personally don't like, due to the potential warping that could be done. Having it as a rule just perpetuates hate, which is specifically mentioned as being disallowed too.

I still dunno, it seems like some of the clarifications seem more open to warping than they were prior. Like the "inappropriate content" thing, as demonstrated in this very topic. Basically, it could be taken to mean all content remotely fitting the description, be it a vivid description in a Writer's Forum story in the name of writing, a passing remark about the breast size of the cute girl you saw, or even mention that you lost your virginity.

Writer's Workshop stories get special rules allowing them to bypass lots of Inappropriate content rules - that's a forum-specific rule (we did mention those exist, I think).

As for the other two examples, one would have to be hypocritical or illiterate to get either reading out of the rules. The rules talk about nudity or pictures of female nipples. Not applicable t breast size. Similarly, anyone who says "I lost my virginity" is "describing sexual acts", need sex ed. Badly.

The copyright violation rules now seem completely overrun with paranoia, too. Despite so many sites freaking out at mere mention of anything related, now extending to include this one more than ever, I have not once in my life seen a site shut down over people simply mentioning such things. Not once. There are even some sites wholely dedicated to those sorts of things that have been running strong for over a decade now, though not to say that's the best strategy. Personally, I'd feel more comfortable if the rule was to keep mention of them to a minimum, and speak easy if you can. I'm fine with disallowing distribution and heavy discussion and the like, but an outright ban on everything and anything is just embarrassingly fear-riddled.

It may surprise you to learn that by and large, the new rules are MORE tolerant than the old ones as they were usually applied. Used to be you couldn't even MENTION FanSubs and ROMs. Now you can mention FanSubs and even admit to watchign them so long as you don't tell people about specific sub groups, and you can mention ROMs.

"Incoherent/Unreadable Post" is another one I personally don't like, due to the potential warping that could be done. Having it as a rule just perpetuates hate, which is specifically mentioned as being disallowed too.

So we should just go around and allow people to post completely unreadable and painful to read posts instead?

Yeah, I think not. This way people can report those posts instead of harassing people about them (which is, indeed, banned. Because it's flaming.)

But dont you think groups with the names like that ^^ which i have seen a lot in some user's group section, be removed? i mean, pokemon is 10+, as far as i think, and many many users dont like such things. the franchise is aimed towards kids, we dont want those types of groups do we? Plz answer...

Bulbgarden, however, is a site for all ages. And, as has been mentioned before, that group is private, so its content wouldn't be seen by non-members anyway.

Bulbgarden, however, is a site for all ages. And, as has been mentioned before, that group is private, so its content wouldn't be seen by non-members anyway.

Not to mention that none of the images in that group violate any of the forum rules, new or old.

Copyright Violation

(4 points, 10 for severe violations) :
Members may not request or provide help to illegally view copyrighted content, and may not in any way admit to using ROMs. YouTube and similar links are allowed, except YouTube links to full pokémon episodes or movies (in part or whole). Mentioning fan translation in general is permitted, but not specific translation groups or projects. Finally, when putting someone else's fanworks in your forum or blog post, you should at least note that it is not yours and if possible credit the creator.
Posting direct links to full episodes, games or chapters, and presenting other people's fanwork as yours, is a severe violation, barring exceptional circumstances.
(SEVERAL forums have specific rules regarding YouTube link and crediting fanart, be sure to check!)

FIIIIIIIIIIINALY,the rules starts talking about YouTube,all this said before was ROM,Illegal Downloads,i thought all this talked about was you CANNOT download picures or MP3 files from the internet(even google?)agein,i didnt know about the links to pokemon shows because to rules didnt talk about it?!?....thanks you guys, you've save me and alot of other people from worring ALOT.

What was a Minimodding warning has changed to an Incoherent/Unreadable Post warning. Was this a mistake? It sounds as if it should be under Pointless Post.

Pointless Post
(3 points, 6 for severe violations)
Generally, posting to point out rules or to say "we already have this thread!" is pointless (unless a mod is doing it); report it to the staff instead.

No, minimodding falls under Pointless post.

That's what I thought. So er, could my infraction list please be fixed to reflect that?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom