• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Newly discovered" Pokemon

Maybe the regions weren't newly discovered, but isolated from each other, so they had no knowledge about the Pokemon from the other regions. Except Kanto and Johto. THEY'RE RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER!

You wanna know the funny thing? They "discover" all these new Pokémon in the so-and-so region, but as soon as the next generation starts in the animé they act like they've been around forever. James's Carnivine is a prime example. If it was "new", then how could James've known of it since childhood?

My thoughts: The profs. simply don't share existence of various species with the common people, and people never mention special "future" Pokémon for some unknown reason. I'd like to think government conspiracy, but that world doesn't seem to have one.

Yeah, except typically, if you retcon something, you don't pretend like nobody knew about it before by calling it "newly discovered." You would just straight-up say "Oh yeah... James DID have a Carnivine, which was simply not mentioned before because it was irrelevant to the story. But it isn't newly discovered."

This has always been a fun idea, ever since the days of "new" Pokemon being introduced were... introduced!

Did they spring up over night? Did someone take a look outside their window one morning? Did they grow them out of the ground? Was it all a big secret?

So much fun. The more astute players never took it as a big thing because they realized the application of real world logic sometimes takes a back seat to world expansion and creation. Want to have a world where every goddamn bird isn't a Pidgey or a Spearow? Then you need to build upon the fiction.

Even when a Pokemon appears genuinely "newly discovered", they always some how manage to tie it into some connection or lore. Just look at all the legendary Pokemon. And it's funny how the longer a Pokemon is around, the more it is "accepted" by games standard, simply because they keep building and building.

Considering its convoluted way of evolution, I wouldn't be surprised if it was discovered.

I find it easier to believe that new evolutions of old Pokemon like Probopass or Magnezone were recently (depends on what your timescale is for recent) discovered especially when their method of evolution isn't even native to their region.

No, we don't apply that, the game developers have to make sure that we can suspend our disbelief. Unfortunately they failed at that on multiple accounts, though considering how the fandom seems to analyze the smallest aspect of everything, you really can't blame them for most of the stuff. This one, they can. They expected us to believe that in a region right beside the one we've previously seen, a 100 new Pokemon were discovered even though they were incredibly common in that region and others have even said they spent their whole lives with those Pokemon.

That is true. It shouldn't be our responsibility to suspend our disbelief. After all, it is the DEVELOPER who is trying to get their players to become immersed with a new world, therefore it's their responsibility.

Frankly, I'm a little tired of the 4th wall-breaking bullshit myself. An NPC talking about carrying pokemon in a pokewalker when she is in a world where people carry pokemon by their belts all the time? Really? (If you don't know what I mean, it's one of the female NPCs in the Johto National Park)

Yeah, except typically, if you retcon something, you don't pretend like nobody knew about it before by calling it "newly discovered." You would just straight-up say "Oh yeah... James DID have a Carnivine, which was simply not mentioned before because it was irrelevant to the story. But it isn't newly discovered."
Except they weren't calling it newly discovered anymore because they retcon'd it. That's exactly the point of retconing, you pretend that something you said before didn't happen.

One thing that bothers me a bit that is related to this is that you can find Johto Pokemon in Kanto. Are we really supposed to believe that all of these pokemon migrated to a different region in three years?

Arceus is the creator Pokemon and no one heard about him. Pokemon Professors always fail.

Here's a funny thought: in the manga, Yellow was the one who named Gold's newly hatched Pokémon Pichu. Does that mean before that absolutely no one had ever seen Pikachu/Raichu give birth?

Considering that each professor finds 10-year-olds competent enough for intense field work, it seems well within reason that they could miss a few dozen species in their home region, or a neighboring region altogether.

Considering that each professor finds 10-year-olds competent enough for intense field work, it seems well within reason that they could miss a few dozen species in their home region, or a neighboring region altogether.
This. The professors are something of a joke, especially considering that they don't know anything about creatures that have been supposedly living amongst humans for centuries.

Also, you need to remember, Outrage, just because a region or a Pokémon is new to the players doesn't mean it's new to the people in game world. To them, those pokemon aren't new. In fact, the newly discovered bullshit stopped around gen 2. However, people from one region may not have seen or known about another Pokémon from another region if they've never left their own. A good example would be... in the rainforest on our earth, there are hundreds of animals that you have never seen before. As far as you care, they're new creatures, despite them having existed for centuries. However, to the people who live there, those creatures are just part of the scenery and nothing new to them. I bet there are animals in your back yard you've never even seen that would be new to you too.

However, the anime, being the giant 30 minute advertisement that it is, will sometimes use the phrase "newly discovered" because the characters on the show have to be as amazed and surprised at the creature, trying to mirror the audience's emotion and trying to direct it towards that emotion at the same time.

TL;DR: they're not new in world to anyone but the professors 'cause they're morons, and they're only new beyond the 4th wall and in the anime because it's an advertising schema.

Also, you need to remember, Outrage, just because a region or a Pokémon is new to the players doesn't mean it's new to the people in game world. To them, those pokemon aren't new. In fact, the newly discovered bullshit stopped around gen 2. However, people from one region may not have seen or known about another Pokémon from another region if they've never left their own.

They dropped "newly discovered" after Gen II and opted for "Pokemon that are rare in this region" so I don't know why its still bugging you. Whenever advertisements say "new Pokemon" they mean new to us, not in-universe.

Definately ridiculous when you consider that all those large cities would have had to have popped up over night, or the fact that some characters say that they've lived there all their lives.
Except they weren't calling it newly discovered anymore because they retcon'd it. That's exactly the point of retconing, you pretend that something you said before didn't happen.

.-.

wtf are you talking about? I've colour coded the text for your convenience.

Also just in case you were confused "this region" is the region you're currently on, not the one with the "new" Pokemon.

The only thing I considered to be "newly discovered" are those Pokemon who's method of evolution doesn't even exist in the region it exists in, and even then I noted that "newly" doesn't mean "just". If that was the quote you were talking about, at least click the little icon that takes it back to my original post and get the context it was posted in (not like it was lost considering it was worded pretty straight forward)
Considering its convoluted way of evolution, I wouldn't be surprised if it was discovered.

I find it easier to believe that new evolutions of old Pokemon like Probopass or Magnezone were recently (depends on what your timescale is for recent) discovered especially when their method of evolution isn't even native to their region.
TL;DR: they're not new in world to anyone but the professors 'cause they're morons, and they're only new beyond the 4th wall and in the anime because it's an advertising schema.

So after your long speech, you seem to not get the whole idea of game-play and story segregation and the only reason the Professors are like that is because Game Freak knows that the Pokemon are new to us.

Though, its not like any of the professors ever called the Pokemon new past Gen II and were just asking you to help in their research. Yes, they've lived in that region their entire lives, it doesn't mean that despite knowing what the Pokemon are, that they know every bit of scientific detail about them.

The reason the professors ask a ten year old? It's because of this. It's an excuse to give you a Pokedex and send you out on a journey that the past three protagonists weren't even intending to go on. All their journeys started out an accident or on the suggestion of the professor after Red. Professor Oak just gave the Pokedex to Red because he was already going out. Really, if it wasn't for gameplay and story segregation, there would be no reason our Pokedex's shouldn't work like the anime counterparts to it and have all the data loaded in. They want to give us an incentive to collect.

Last edited:
Whoops, sorry, Outrage, I somehow included you as the target of my post, when it was actually not you, but rather several other people. However, the part on the directing the emotions of the audience by placing the character's in the audience's shoes was directed at you.

The latter part of your post, though, still leaves me a bit uneasy... almost like we're arguing the same thing or something. So confused.

Then it might be best to drop the argument altogether. Why go back and forth if it places confusion on yourself.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom