• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

O_O How did no one ever notice this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel-A

Reaction score
Pikachu is male, he's shown to me male at least 2 times.
In the second episode of the original series, Pikachu is refered to as male by the narator (they tell Pikachu's gender in the very begining!)
In the first AG episode, professer Birch refers to Pikachu as male. Check the episodes yourself.

Probably because it didn't do that in Japanese.

Also, Birch is a moron anyway who took about a minute and a half to determine that growling and snarling meant that the Poochyena were *angry*.

I thought it'll be a revelation like "Ash's hair is similar to Son Goku's".

As of the latest Japanese episode, Pikachu's gender is unconfirmed. Yes, there is evidence to support that it is male, but there is no official confirmation from the Japanese writers and producers.

From the FAQ:
Q: Is Pikachu male or female?

A: I will never reveal the truth! Bwahaha! Keep in mind that while certain other characters might refer to Pikachu as being male or female, that simply reveals their perception, not the actual reality of the situation.

I thought it'll be a revelation like "Ash's hair is similar to Son Goku's".
There's other similarities such as the Z things on the faces. It's why I like to annoy people in "Ash's Dad" threads and insist Ash is a Saiyan.

But yeah, ignore the dub when looking for real facts of the show. BTW, there's evidence of Pikachu being female as well.

Umm... I think in japanese it is refered as neither gender becouse nouns are genderless or something.

Most languages aren't s gender specific as English. The word for 'it' can mean either gender. I have a theory that Pikachu isn't a Pokemon; but some alien/bio engineered creature that's disguised as a Pikachu.

The dub doesn't matter, end of story. I was told that the Japanese refer to themselves by name instead of using pronouns.

Wait,I thoght they used ore-wa, Ata-shi, or Boku-wa. Though I'm pretty sure wa means is or are...where's Dogasu?!

Ore, atashi and boku are all first-person pronouns. Since Pikachu only speaks Pikanese, that's no help.

Wait,I thoght they used ore-wa, Ata-shi, or Boku-wa. Though I'm pretty sure wa means is or are...where's Dogasu?!

'Wa' is a particle of speech in Japanese -- it basically lets whomever you're talking to know that "Ore" or "Boku" or what have you is the main topic of the sentence. If you are the main topic of the conversation/sentence, then you use "Ore-wa", otherwise, you could use "Ore-ga", "Ore-o", or lots of other particles, depending on what you're saying.

Me, I think Pikachu's a guy, but that's just me.

Professor Birch has to be the most unaccomplished and worthless pokemon professor ever.

That from aside, I've never cared to know Pikachu's gender. Or any other pokemon's gender for that matter.

For all we know pikachu could be male, female, gay, canadian....the way i see it, who cares. Not the creator that's for sure...and that's exactly why he's gonna take this answer to the grave, and that's why we'll never know. Basically, you might as well not even care.

A professor that likes to roll over on his back like Seedot in his free time...yeah, shows something doesn't it. What's with all the hate? I just liked the dub voice...especially when he was saying "Roll over!" My least favorite is Elm, but doesn't make me hate the guy or Johto.

Anyway, I really don't care what Pikachu's gender is.

No one really should care, but it's pretty obvious that Pikachu is a male.

Before D/P, I always figured Pikachu was male. But now with Buneary crushing on it in every episode, its almost impossible to argue unless you're saying Buneary is a lesbian.

Alternately, Buneary could be a really feminine male and they could be doing gender role reversal.

I mean, Pikachu's *probably* male, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom