• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 12.56.58 PM.png

They're neat logos- I think the word 'speed' looks really stylish, in particular. However, 'Pokemon' looks tacked on. I'm not an expert on Japanese, but compared with the skewed and stylized 'speed', the font for 'Pokemon' looks fairly generic. In addition, the 'N' character in 'Pokemon' overlapping the circle in the 'pi' character in 'speed' looks clumsily done- I'm not saying that overlapping them couldn't work well if done properly, but it really looks unclear here. In addition, why doesn't that circle have the same dark gray backsplash/outline behind it, as the rest of the characters in 'speed' do? The yellow one especially gets lost in the background- and speaking of that, both the characters for 'sound' and 'light' are also struggling to stand out against the background, and also feel oddly designed (why does one of them introduce a third color (blue) into the logo when the other logo is limited to green and red?)

I have to mention that while I know a little Japanese and also some stuff about logo design and clarity, there could absolutely be things that I am missing, misinterpreting, or simply don't know- I'm no authority on Japanese logo design, by any means. These are just the things that I felt seemed odd about these logos, and cause me to doubt their legitimacy.

I don't think that the games will be a reboot. GF will never take actual Pokemon out of the game.

It doesn't have to be a hard reboot, BW were soft reboot by neglecting previous gens until the post game. They still could reboot Kanto with a new storyline without taking out pokemon, instead adding Gen2+ pokemon to the region as a "Kanto that has evolved". A reboot can have different shapes, it's all a matter of what can be done and what shouldn't.

It doesn't have to be a hard reboot, BW were soft reboot by neglecting previous gens until the post game. They still could reboot Kanto with a new storyline without taking out pokemon, instead adding Gen2+ pokemon to the region as a "Kanto that has evolved". A reboot can have different shapes, it's all a matter of what can be done and what shouldn't.
I don't think that a BW style reboot will happen either, because I don't think that GF will ever add a large amount of Pokemon again. Also, adding non Gen 1 Pokemon to Kanto would eliminate a lot of potential buyers.

I don't think that a BW style reboot will happen either, because I don't think that GF will ever add a large amount of Pokemon again. Also, adding non Gen 1 Pokemon to Kanto would eliminate a lot of potential buyers.
A hard reboot won't be too bad either.
Regardless there's a good chance that new Pokemon in an innovated Kanto would do the opposite.

Interesting, is there any evidence that this is related to Pokemon or are they just assuming.
As for the name, I don't speak Japanese but know a few words. If these are pokemon "Shidokuma" might be some sort of bear since Kuma means bear. And "Haidoragon" seem to be a play on Hydra and Dragon. It sound similar to Hydreigon, but these are Japanese name and usually the English is different.

Edit: It seem to be fake. Well that was fast. I guess it's back to nothing.

I think that it is most likely fake since the name furintaino has 7 characters in its name. The current character limit is 6 characters. The only way that could be possible is if they increase the character limit on the switch games.

Not necessarily. They aren't the only crowd. That's why Kanto still keeps Kanto while being a little innovated. Both crowds are satisfied.
The 28-32 crowd would be the most interested in a return to Kanto. That's why it must appeal to them.

It would alienate the 28-32 crowd for having too much change to their childhood region.

The people I know in this crowd wouldn't buy a Switch and Pokémon merely out of nostalgia. Some would have to own the console already and others would be excited so long as there were some they recognised. Anyone so out of touch with the series wouldn't remember every detail anyway.

And the opposite would also be true if Game Freak merely stick with the original 151 Pokémon.

The 28-32 crowd would be the most interested in a return to Kanto. That's why it must appeal to them.
Considering that crowd would just leave again as soon as Game Freak does something else with the Pokemon games, as well as the fact that this will be the first game on a home console, you'd alienate most of the current fanbase and possibly lose them from wasting the first Switch title on a Kanto remake. Too many people would dismiss it as a glorified tech demo, and this would lose a lot more sales if that's all Game Freak does with their first console titles.

In all honestly though, I could see them limiting the pool of potential additions to cross-gen evolutions and possible Kantonian variants of Gen 7 Pokémon (since it would fit with how only Gen 1 Pokémon got regional variants). That's about as far as they'd be allowed to get away with considering Nintendo has pressured Game Freak to do something 'disruptive' with the franchise.

I understand that, but why can't it be innovated and appeal to both. Adding new Pokemon to an old region for example. If you don't want to use the new ones then just stick to Kanto.

The first tell for those being fake is that Sotogunami is written
underneath in romaji as "Sotogkami." There's a lot of other things
to disprove them as well though lol.

View attachment 109190

I have to mention that while I know a little Japanese and also some stuff about logo design and clarity, there could absolutely be things that I am missing, misinterpreting, or simply don't know- I'm no authority on Japanese logo design, by any means. These are just the things that I felt seemed odd about these logos, and cause me to doubt their legitimacy.

I have more or less the same skills as you, and I'd say the PI character in SPEED, looks a tad off.
The angled stroke should be higher and less angled calligraphic wise, I feel it makes the kana look unclear. Furthermore both the kanjis seem to have a furigana written in katakana. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't it be written in hiragana?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom