• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Over Sun and Moon

About the lag:

I upgraded from a 3DS XL to a New 3DS about halfway into my Sun playthrough and the difference was night and day. Things just load so much faster on the New 3DS and while there are still some lag issues even with the system's extra RAM it's still a much, much smoother experience.

If you have the means I would definitely recommend the upgrade.

More like GF being GF and stumbling upon true gold among their fumbling around showing it off to the masses just for momentary cred and then chucking it aside.

They know they effed up but they always have some back burner excuse like "region exclusive" or "we're always looking to shake things up".
I enjoy GF´s "region exclusive" concept. For example, I wanted DexNav and Soaring to stay Hoenn exclusive, so I am glad this seems to be the case.

But SM just removed way more stuff than I wanted. Even things like sitting xD

except when that "content" is largely just a gating mechanism to prevent you from spamming PokéPuffs, i have a hard time buying it when people are complaining the absence of it. and honestly, case in point: the minigames from Amie, which were largely derided as boring, inconvenient, and repetitive (among other things) and now are suddenly some apex of content worthy of that vaguely malapropist "two steps forward, one step back" quip everyone likes to throw out.
I disagree with you. I think removing minigames, and not adding new ones instead, is basically having less content.
Also, you are just nitpicking with one of the MANY examples I gave. The fact that you omit all my other examples of "removed content" speaks for itself.

Last edited:
I disagree with you. I think removing minigames, and not adding new ones instead, is basically having less content.
Also, you are just nitpicking with one of the MANY examples I gave. The fact that you omit all my other examples of "removed content" speaks for itself.
the minigames are certainly content, but at the end of the day they're a very small drop in a fairly large bucket of water. not even mentioning (#2late) that they're a drop no one seemed/seems to care about unless we're compiling a list of "here's things that Gen 7 removed." yes it's content, but ultimately complaining about the removal of the minigames is just petty nitpicking.

also since you were begging for it:
Triple and Rotation battles
removed for what we can probably assume is a technical reason. has a loose replacement in Battle Royals. they weren't even used all that much in their introduced region anyways.
see above, also functionally replaced with SOS battles.
the Battle Institute
loosely replaced by Battle Royals. that being said the Battle Institute was a weird concept that never really materialized into anything beyond pre-Battle Tower equiv.
Super Training
replaced by PokePelago.
Soaring, DexNav
"region exclusives"
the lack of sitting is bizarre, but then again the game also doesn't seem to have a way for you to just be NPC-booted without a cut to black so who knows the real reason why it was gone.
with a rumored Switch port, this is unsurprising.
Inverse Battles
Zygarde retconned, no reason to have. also, see what i was saying about the Amie minigames. it goes similarly for the unmentioned Sky Battles.
and so on.
brrp.

People really need to understand that technical limitations are still a thing.
If it were a choice between 3D graphics with less content and 2D graphics with content that rivals B2W2, I'd choose the latter. While design is important, satisfying the eyes while sacrificing the experience shouldn't really be a priority.

the minigames are certainly content, but at the end of the day they're a very small drop in a fairly large bucket of water. not even mentioning (#2late) that they're a drop no one seemed/seems to care about unless we're compiling a list of "here's things that Gen 7 removed." yes it's content, but ultimately complaining about the removal of the minigames is just petty nitpicking.

also since you were begging for it:
removed for what we can probably assume is a technical reason. has a loose replacement in Battle Royals. they weren't even used all that much in their introduced region anyways.

see above, also functionally replaced with SOS battles.

loosely replaced by Battle Royals. that being said the Battle Institute was a weird concept that never really materialized into anything beyond pre-Battle Tower equiv.

replaced by PokePelago.

"region exclusives"

the lack of sitting is bizarre, but then again the game also doesn't seem to have a way for you to just be NPC-booted without a cut to black so who knows the real reason why it was gone.

with a rumored Switch port, this is unsurprising.

Zygarde retconned, no reason to have. also, see what i was saying about the Amie minigames. it goes similarly for the unmentioned Sky Battles.

brrp.
It is deeper than this, and you know it. It is the tendency to make everything less involved.

In Gen VI, you had to involve yourself in a ST minigame in order to EV Train (or you had the hordes alternative, which is also missing in SM). In SM, you just go and pay for the EV training, and it happens. No minigame, aka no involvment aka less game content.

Same goes for Pokebeans at the Pelago, compared to Amie doing it through minigames.

As for all your "reasons" for the removed content, I never had a doubt that you would be able to pull a "lol who cares about those missin features they weren´t used anyway" kind of answer. But all of them are examples of removed content that got nothing in exchange. Because that is my issue with SM: I don´t mind removing Gen VI content, if we got new equivalent content instead. The issue is SM replaced the missing content with nothing in exchange.

Also, about the Battle Royal: you state that it (kinda) replaces the removed Triple and Rotation battle styles, the Battle Institute, and (this is my addition) the regional equivalent for Contests/Pokeathlon/Musicals/etc. So basically we have 1 (ONE) new feature replacing 4 (FOUR) fully fleshed features from the previous games.

This is actually a fantastic metaphor of why SM disappointed.

"You guys removed Triple battles!"
"but we gave you Battle Royal as a replacement!"

"You guys removed Rotation battles as well!"

"You guys removed the Battle Institute as well!"

"And you guys also gave us no equivalent for Contests/Musicals, etc!"
"but the Battle Royal is that replacement! Enjoy!"

Last edited:
It feels like GF put so much effort into the graphics that they forgot to do much for the music, battles, story, or Pokemon themselves. Plus Triple Battles, my favorite battle format, was removed. I was over it before I'd even reached the postgame. I'm looking forward to DPPt remakes more than any Stars version...

I haven't been playing as much lately because I completed the regional pokedex and there's no national pokedex this time for some reason. :confused: I've just been using poke pelago and the festival plaza, occasionally rematching the elite 4, and trying to hatch a shiny porygon.

If it were a choice between 3D graphics with less content and 2D graphics with content that rivals B2W2, I'd choose the latter. While design is important, satisfying the eyes while sacrificing the experience shouldn't really be a priority.
I agree, but they clearly pushed S/M's graphical capacity to the limit to compete with Yokai Watch. You can't really deny that YKW has some really stellar graphics, especially as far as having an open world that does not repeat itself. Unfortunately, the problem is also transitioning Pokemon's already established conventions into better graphics. YKW's gameplay is very minimal in comparison but it doesn't get dumbed down either.

Other than the World Tournament and Black City/White Treehollow, which are solid but not great, I don't really get the B2W2 praise.

I'm KINDA over SM?
I'm definitely not playing as much. Clocked over 300 hours, done everything not optional in the game. I'm the completionist type, so I'mma be going for a lot more. One thing that kinda hyped me up again for SM was that my friend FINALLY decided to buy his friggin 3DS, and soon he will be getting the game. As he is jumping from emulated fourth gen to seventh, I decided to update him on moves and stuff; I'mma be acting as a gym leader/rival. I am preparing thematic teams to go against him, using new pokemon and using new moves.
Other than that, I am doing daily things on that, sometimes training some pokemon, other times breeding another, and am playing Pokemon Y, because I also jumped a bit: from emulated fifth gen to seventh, and am going back a bit onto sixth.
One thing I must say about XY and SM: they are both complete opposites on two aspects: Overall game and Minigames.
Overall game, SM got me hooked up a lot more than XY is trying to. I loved all of SM, with a few things that annoyed me. Lag being some of it, though it mainly happens when a Z-Move is happening, and on the Battle facilities.
However, XY scores a 10/10 over SM 0/10 on Minigames. I kid you not: I entered the second gym with 15:34 hours on the clock. Why? Planting berries, Pokemon Amie minigames and Super Training were all SO MUCH MORE FUN THAN THE GAME WAS BEING!! The main reason why I kept going on the story was because I wanted to get more berries to plant.
Now, I've gotten a Tyrunt, and I had never noticed how FRIGING CUTE HE IS ERM MER GOSH!!! Anyway, the game finally picked up and got me a little bit more hooked up.
The one thing that SM could of done better was the post game. I mean, yes, I can infinitely breed for perfect pokemon for competitive battling... Unfortunately, I don't have a succesful channel on Youtube about pokemon, nor am I famous on Twitch where people will willingly donate me money so I can keep playing Pokemon as a living, and have to do other things. Outside of that, I don't really have anything to do. I half feel Alola is dead; about 99% of the trainers have been defeated, no one will come to talk to me about something, no one will give me a new item. All I can do is walk around on a NPC world, doing my own things. I'm not in the world anymore, I'm an actual person controlling a character on a game. Kinda breaks all the immersion, this postgame of ours where nothing new happens. At the least, until Marshadow comes around, or the Pokebank update, or something else.

Definitely. Now that the honeymoon stage with SM is over, I have little to no desire to even play it anymore. I bought both versions, but after fully completing Sun, I have very little desire to even start Moon. It's just sitting there unplayed, partly because I don't think I can handle the super slow text and tutorial filled island known as Mele Mele. Sun was super great my first time through, it was a fantastic game, but replaying the game (as with Moon) is just not attractive right now.

I thought that I was over Moon, but I got dragged back in. Now I feel like completing the Tree despite the lag. Mostly due to hating Radaba, your first Multi partner. :p

I was gonna train some competitive mons but doing it just for battle tree seems pointless,as far as online goes I haven't successfully connected to anyone to battle...

During my playthrough I was getting constant request for battles which I accepted and non went thru,after playthrough I looked for battles and nobody accepted

I'm pretty much done with Sun/Moon aside from a few things - PokeBank update, Marshadow event as well as the other events/unreleased stuff, leveling up the plaza, and shiny hunting via SOS or MM.

Not going to bother with Battle Tree, as I've grown tired of battle facilities being unfair, and I do miss Gen 6's being easier. I do like Battle Royal, though.

I appreciate being able to send eggs to the PC even when I have a full team, but I kinda wish there was a looping road or at least a long route where the screen doesn't have to load.

I'm guessing you haven't used the fenced area below the daycare?

Just run around in circles on Tauros.

Has anyone played battle tree since the update? It says it adjusted battle tree,was wondering if it's easier noe

Has anyone played battle tree since the update? It says it adjusted battle tree,was wondering if it's easier noe

From what I can find, these are the only fixes (from Bulbanews):
A number of other minor fixes have also been made. In version 1.0, a Kommo-o that can be used by Battle Tree opponents knows the move Shell Smash, although Kommo-o cannot know this move; in version 1.1, it instead knows Draco Meteor. Additionally, a Hawlucha holding a Salac Berry that could be used by Battle Tree opponents in version 1.0 has been replaced by a Pidgeot holding a Charti Berry in version 1.1.

Just some minor things, they didn't actually adjust the difficulty itself in any way.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom