• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Palletshipping

I'm tied between green or blue eyes on Gary.

I write him with green eyes. He just looks sexier that way...#>_>#

BTW...you are awesome for finding all those pictures. <333333333 You must spend a lot of time just looking for pics of them! i gotta step up my game...

I write him with green eyes. He just looks sexier that way...#>_>#

It does give him an intense look. Blue eyes are overused.

BTW...you are awesome for finding all those pictures. <333333333 You must spend a lot of time just looking for pics of them! i gotta step up my game...

It really didn't take me too long. I've been busy with school lately so I just surf the internet and study for tests before it gets too late. But today I just went back on the Livejournal page, clicked the link which took me to the private album. So then I put "Animecon 08", looked through the pictures and found them on the fifth page. The other Shishi image was found browsing with the keywords "satoshige" (even though I think Gary would be the dominant one in this relationship).

By the way, I missed one.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/t-a-l/animecon2008/P1010042.jpg

And here's one more (this is general fanart).

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/Snoaz/Anime/AshGaryRapidash.jpg

The artist made it look just like the anime.

"satoshige", hm? Hmmm...Ashy on top is fun, but Geru just does it better.

Ooh! I have that piece of fanart. Was it done by...forgive me if I butcher the name..pokeani? I've always wanted to check out that person's site, but because the art is so close to the anime, I'm somewhat...afraid...of what I might find there...#>_<#

on another note...you're in school already? That sucks...I move in in...5 days. class don't start till teh 27th! XD;;

About gary's eyes... I have PROOF that he has green eyes!!

http://i33.tinypic.com/2yjsrwz.jpg
If you look closely you can see a bit of green.

anyways im remembering that epi where they broke the pokeball they found, and if you notice.. Gary gets the top part, while Ash gets the bottom. haha I just thought that was intresting

...That IS interesting...XDDD

The creators of Pokemon are implying something there! They are!

Although...i think they switch halves in the episode where Ash decideds to go to Hoen, and Gary goes off to start being a researcher. HMMMMMM...

XD Well, now you have! Stick around for a while, huh? ^^

hm...pin down Ash with teh spikes of teh hair? Hmmm...

#>_<# If it's AnimeDutchess, it's probably me.

it's good that you know hints from the Japanese version, but it's always good to know how it works in English. yes, we all know about how they stuffed AAML down our throats, but they couldn't deny the greatness that is Palletshipping.

oh, yeah! That vid. I think it's probably the best tribute to the ship ever made...i love that song as well, and have it on my mp3 player! ^^

The epic-ness of this thread/forum thingy shall always amaze me!
AnimeDutchess I think you deserve a reward for sticking with this for so long! (and maybe for the most posts too, but I digress)...O_O I'm not discounting everyone else (I hope)
^_^ Its so awesome reading everything all over again!

A_R Sunny, you make an interesting point. I never really thought much about the time after the Indigo league when Gary lost. -inspiration!!!-
I guess if I could comment on that, I'd say that Ash was upset that his rival lost before he had a chance to face him or that Ash was shocked that he was farther than Gary, especially after being secind best for all of his life. Hmmmm...I need to write this down...

GeruLovee, you draw super cute >_<

They dont seel palletshipping doujinshi(s) anymore...I looked all over at AFO but there were none...just loads of SasuNaru, KakaIru, and LxLight TT-TT

D: The most I've done so far in my fanfiction stuff is torture poor Ash.
Well, since I'm on the topic of torture, I'll ask:

Besides physical torture, what do you think could really cause Gary to break down? And I don't mean just a 'mental breakdown'. I want him broken and shaking with sobs every night. He should sleep with both eyes open and still see what destoryed him from the inside out. I want suffering of the highest calibur.

...Maybe that might have been too intense...

^_^; I don't mean to do all these posts...I just love ShiShi and I wanna be part of the community other than writing fanfiction all the time.

get Gary to break down...OH! develop an entire Xanatos Gambit (click the link for an explination) http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit

...to get Ash taken away from him in the most emotionally-damaging way possible.

this website also helps when you're writing. It's amazing, and I often get inspired by reading some of the aritcles. ^^

get Gary to break down...OH! develop an entire Xanatos Gambit (click the link for an explination) http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit

...to get Ash taken away from him in the most emotionally-damaging way possible.

this website also helps when you're writing. It's amazing, and I often get inspired by reading some of the aritcles. ^^

I spend so much time on that website. I'm just nerdy like that. I love information sites like that. I even use tropes in my daily vocabulary now like Screw The Rules I Have Money (although I don't), Nightmare Fuel, Ho Yay (a slasher's best friend), and Serious Business. I love those!

@Satochu
But about Gary, it would have to be in a situation he screws up when he normally wouldn't and Ash would end up captured or hurt some way. Gary would beat himself up for screwing up because he's normally very competent in whatever he does. Ash would still try to save himself but wouldn't be able to do it alone. Make sure to not go easy on Ash but still give him some backbone. You don't want the entire plot to be "Gary to the Rescue" because that could lead to Out Of Characterness.

Gary, maybe with some help from Ash's friends, too, could team up with Gary to save him but it would be Gary who finds him. Afterwards, he would chastise him for being reckless and stupid, Ash would get angry and say his help wasn't needed (feeling second best to or feeling weak compared to Gary has always annoyed him), Gary would laugh it off and would deep down be glad he's safe. All of this COULD come after the angst and worrying. I'm just writing off the top of my head. I'm not expecting you to use any of this.

A_R Sunny, you make an interesting point. I never really thought much about the time after the Indigo league when Gary lost. -inspiration!!!-
I guess if I could comment on that, I'd say that Ash was upset that his rival lost before he had a chance to face him or that Ash was shocked that he was farther than Gary, especially after being secind best for all of his life. Hmmmm...I need to write this down...

It was a pretty interesting scene. It was the first time we ever saw Gary with a frown on his face or really looking disappointed or anything. While he had to look confident around Ash, I bet he went and did a lot of soul searching, realizing and accepting that he wasn't as good as he thought he was, maybe training his Pokemon more, keeping his roster more consistent. All of that would explain his drastic personality change in his flashy reappearance in the oh so shippy episode A Tents Situation.

One more thing, before I forget, I loved that AMV. The song was just perfect. It reflected how aloof Gary can be and how Ash seemed more aggressive at keeping up with him. Gary more or less imposed the rivalry on Ash and Ash ended taking it more seriously than Gary did!

I spend so much time on that website. I'm just nerdy like that. I love information sites like that. I even use tropes in my daily vocabulary now like Screw The Rules I Have Money (although I don't), Nightmare Fuel, Ho Yay (a slasher's best friend), and Serious Business. I love those!

Dude! Isn't it just the most fun site? It helps you learn about your favorite series, writing techniques and cliches, and is always good for a laugh. I've added a couple things to that Wiki...and i'm rather proud. ^^; Now, I just need to get more Genre Savvy and figure out some more...

Alright, let's see if I can come up with some discussion questions people would want to answer. I hope no one has thought of these yet. You can't expect me to remember over 40 pages, right?

Have you ever shipped Ash or Gary with another character (seriously or not) before you shipped them together? With who? This question assumes you've lost some if not all interest in the pairing.

I admit, I read several Pokeshipping fics years ago. I don't remember reading the stories out of actually liking the pairing. The fact that I’ve read pretty bad AAML fanfiction unfairly hurts my opinion of the pairing. I’ve read AU high school dramas with Mary Sue!OOC!Misty being best friends with one dimensional fancharacters and making out with Ash, the new kid, whom she has never even met and just introduced herself to just a second ago! (To make things worse, we're expected to see this as romantic as the writer did.) I’ve read lousy oneshots with Misty writing pseudo-romantic crap in her diary with Ash and Brock sleeping somewhere away from her and Ash just happening to be awake and reading over her shoulder or something, confessing his feelings, and they get together at the end of the fic (oh please). I’ve read Gary of all people turning “evil”, kidnapping Misty, and Ash having a That’s So Raven-esque vision of Misty being tortured in a location he automatically knows and can find in time, despite not realistically knowing his way around the new town he is in, and Ash has to save her. I made none of this up.

I even read some Egoshipping (MistyxGary) once. There was no warning for the pairing used; otherwise I never would have read it. It was about 16-year-old Ash and Misty being automatically in a relationship and breaking up due to a huge fight. No explanation for the fight was given. It was just an opener to get the reader’s attention. Then an OOC Gary popped up and cared about Misty and her problems in general. Misty starts to feed on Gary's sympathy and they get into a relationship. The fic ended with Misty and Gary getting married, having kids, and dying in their mid-seventies. Ash married someone else and was (Sweet Arceus) shot and killed in his sleep at age 35 by his wife. It was all written in crappy epilogue form.

So the answer to my own question is...no, I guess. (None of what I just said is meant to bash those ships. I’m just ranting about those particular stories.)

Do you ship Ash and/or Gary with another character? Be honest. We’re civil here, we won’t cook and eat you for liking other ships. Nope!

If you ship AshxGary or whatever you call it, do you ship RedxGreen (RedxBlue in America) from the manga Pokemon Adventures, too?I haven't read Pokemon Adventures but if I did, I probably would.

This ship has about five names. Can you think of another name? (Please, no Rivalshipping. It’s so overused.) I can’t think of anything.

Since we’re all slash/BL/shonen-ai/yaoi fans to some extent since we like Shishi, are there any other slash/BL/shonen-ai/yaoi pairings that remind you of Shishi or vice versa? I can’t think of anything.

Ash and Gary are in love. 'nuff said.

Damn. Straight.

Last edited:
Yowza! xDD You know Anime Dutchess, after you posted that link, I spent two days exploring that site...and I never got to reply (because I'm easily distracted...reason #1 why 'No Mr. Ketchum' doesn't get updated as quicky...which is why when I update I try to put two or three chapters at a time...I know I'm gone forever and the least I can do is post as much...especially if the chapters are short.)

Mooites, I have read Loveless and it took me a while to get over my anger towards Soubi. (I love his manga-self better than his anime-self) But I've never compared Ash and Gary to Ritsuka and Soubi. Hmmm....haha, it would be kinda funny if Gary wore hats all the time to hide the fact that he was a virgin. (that is...if he WAS a virgin but still ;D)

It's okay AR Sunny. I would actually be surprised if you did! -squeal- over 40 pages!! I am going to celebrate when it hits 50!!!

Have you ever shipped Ash or Gary with another character (seriously or not) before you shipped them together? With who? This question assumes you've lost some if not all interest in the pairing.

I've been shipping Ash with Misty for years. I was one of those people who were in 'luff' with Ash and Misty and I used to write those horrible fanfics of doom.

ex. Ash: Hey Brock when are we getting to the next city?
Misty: Do you ever shut up?

But I knew I wasn't all that good...even though I did post it on FF.net back in 2002 or 2003 (it's deleted now)
I stopped obsessing over it. There are only a few AAML fics I keep check on...because they are super well written. ('Phantom' by PinkFalcon)

I was interested in the cuteness factor of Pikashipping. In the concept of friendship not sexual desire. That's why I 'aww' at any cute picture with Ash and Pikachu. (in my mind there are cute lil' friendship flowers flying everywhere)

I tried out egoshipping....I'm still trying egoshipping...it's actually hard to get into. Mostly because I can only see Gary use Misty for personal gain.

...I've read a fic where Ash was shipped with Mewtwo. That was the first lemon I ever read.

Do you ship Ash and/or Gary with another character? Be honest. We’re civil here, we won’t cook and eat you for liking other ships.
I can't answer that one without feeling that I'm spoiling my fanfic...OH! But there is a wonderful crack pairing I love: GARY X DREW

If you ship AshxGary or whatever you call it, do you ship RedxGreen (RedxBlue in America) from the manga Pokemon Adventures, too?...If I read it, I bet I would! Then again, I might just opt for Pearl and Silver...

This ship has about five names. Can you think of another name? (Please, no Rivalshipping. It’s so overused.)Hmm...how about CountryShipping? ...because Pallet Town is in the countryside...or...BFFshipping...? xD BFFL

Since we’re all slash/BL/shonen-ai/yaoi fans to some extent since we like Shishi, are there any other slash/BL/shonen-ai/yaoi pairings that remind you of Shishi or vice versa?
SasuNaru. You know, if Sasuke was actually as smart as he claimed to be and put his fangirls to good use. And if Naruto had brain damage. (i'm sorry Ash!)
RikuSora. If Riku didn't have his eyes glued to Sora's butt and if Sora was less naive. ...by the way, has anyone else noticed that Sora DOES have a butt? Maybe it's because we always get a rear-end view of him (it's nothing to coomplain about...) but he has a not-flat butt! (sorry...just an observation...)
...hmmm...Tamaki and Kyouya! That's the pairing that definitly reminds me of Ash and Gary. =D

but vice versa? It would probably be Shinobu and Yu(?) from Junjou Terrorist (Junjou Romantica)

I've paired Ash with all the girls^^ Well, all the main girls anyway. Him being with Annebell is totally new to me... Anywho, out of those I thin he fairs better with Kasumi. They both love training pokemon, they're both a bit hot-headed(one more then the other), and... I think they complete eachother. Not to mention all the hints! *Pulls out book entitled 'Ash and Misty Love Hints* I borrowed it from Brock! Wanna look through it?

As for Gary... Never really thought about him. At least not till I discovered Palletshipping anyway.^^ Truthfully, I never really even liked him before I knew about this shipping! I thought he was a jerk and should die for being so mean to Ash! Talk about a 180 in opinon, huh?

Do you ship Ash and/or Gary with another character? Be honest. We’re civil here, we won’t cook and eat you for liking other ships.

Answered this question already!^^

If you ship AshxGary or whatever you call it, do you ship RedxGreen (RedxBlue in America) from the manga Pokemon Adventures, too?

I thought about it, and decided... no. I like Red better with Yellow. Green or Blue, whatever color his name is!, looks too much like Gary! I can barely differenciate the two! It's creepy!

This ship has about five names. Can you think of another name? (Please, no Rivalshipping. It’s so overused.)

Um... Well, it would help if I knew the other names, wouldn't it!^^ But... How about Angershipping? They piss eachother off enough don't they? Well, Gary pisses Ash off anyway...

Since we’re all slash/BL/shonen-ai/yaoi fans to some extent since we like Shishi, are there any other slash/BL/shonen-ai/yaoi pairings that remind you of Shishi or vice versa?

Uh... you're asking a girl who can't even remember her daily chours this question? Like you knew that, but still... The only one I can think of, because I'm staring at the cover of the manga, is Negi and Kotaro from Mahou Sensei Negima. And... wait... maybe it does work! 'Cause Kotaro can be like Gary and Negi can be like Ash... But Kotaro's not like that 24/7 so he's easier to deal with. But I think it works to some extent...! Add on: SasuNaru! Totally! I'm surprised I didn't think of that before, I'm obsessed with it! Accursed Negima...

AND! Satochu? I only read the first few posts of this thread, do you really expect me to read 43 pages?, and you gave me a wonderful idea for a fanfic! Thank you so much!

Oh wow! I'm away at college for six days, and the thread exploads! ^_^ I really can't think straight at the moment...so I really don't have any answers for these kickass questions. ^^;;;;

I really dont like Pokeshipping anymore actually. Aside from a cute fanart here or there, I dont think it seems, well, possible! To me, Ash and Misty are way to much a like. They both started off arguing with eachother (like siblings do) and then grew up and matured and were at peace with the other. (again, just like siblings do) so... yeah.

That's my only real, honest aversion towards Pokeshipping (ignore that crap I said about the fanfiction, I'm not standing by that). As you said, they met, argued, became closer friends, argued some more, then cooled down. Their relationship never went anywhere beyond that. Also, sprinkling a bunch of Misty-centric hints (basically the ship's backbone) then kicking her off the show makes it hard for me to like the pairing.

If the writers didn't pair her with Ash during the entire series she was in and will most likely continue to rotate a girl each season for the sake of eye candy and marketing the games, I don't think he's getting a girlfriend. (Unless they do an Asspull at the end like Digimon Adventure got. But Ash won't be aging...) Will any of us still be in the fandom when the show ends?

By the way, little Gary and little Ash are so cute! They had the calm one-goofy one dynamic as kids, too! And I've seen a lot of Lavender Ice's art. I love the doujinshi-style.

SasuNaru. You know, if Sasuke was actually as smart as he claimed to be and put his fangirls to good use. And if Naruto had brain damage. (i'm sorry Ash!)
RikuSora. If Riku didn't have his eyes glued to Sora's butt and if Sora was less naive. ...by the way, has anyone else noticed that Sora DOES have a butt? Maybe it's because we always get a rear-end view of him (it's nothing to coomplain about...) but he has a not-flat butt! (sorry...just an observation...)
...hmmm...Tamaki and Kyouya! That's the pairing that definitly reminds me of Ash and Gary. =D

SasuNaru, SoraRiku, Taito...there are a lot of rival-best friend/serious one-childish one relationships. I just eat that dynamic up. I agree with Tamaki and Kyouya. Tamaki has the ideas, Kyouya's got the intelligence to make sure anything gets done.

Mooites, just be careful with the posting. ^^; Other than that, the pics are cute! I <3 Lavender Ice...

There should be more fics about those two as kids...and, yah know, doing kid things, like playing with toys, and exploring the area around their town, and sleeping over each other's houses...you know, just sweet little things. I do have an idea for a fic like that, but it's long (hence it would be a giant oneshot), and I have no time to write it. *shrug*

There should be more fics about those two as kids...and, yah know, doing kid things, like playing with toys, and exploring the area around their town, and sleeping over each other's houses...you know, just sweet little things. I do have an idea for a fic like that, but it's long (hence it would be a giant oneshot), and I have no time to write it. *shrug*

I think you should consider doing a series of oneshots of the two as children instead of one big oneshot. You'll have the room to include more storylines and it'll feel like a smaller project. I've read stories like that and many are ongoing unless the author has set a certain chapter limit. Besides what you just said you can write about the time they first met, their first encounter with a Pokemon, their first fight, and how their relationship gradually turned into a rivalry. Personally, I think they may have had playful competitions that Gary almost always won which would explain Ash's obsession with competing with him. Even Delia pointed it out during their battle in the Silver Conference episodes.

I actually had something different in mind, focusing on the apparent absence of Gary's parents and how it would affect him...character development, and all that. And yes, I betcha I could make it Palletshippy and cute while also being a tad serious.

But seriously, in general...their childhood is, in my opinion, seriously overlooked as a plot device. I'm sure there's a lot of potential for cute little friendship stories, or innocent ones. ^^

I actually had something different in mind, focusing on the apparent absence of Gary's parents and how it would affect him...character development, and all that. And yes, I betcha I could make it Palletshippy and cute while also being a tad serious.

But seriously, in general...their childhood is, in my opinion, seriously overlooked as a plot device. I'm sure there's a lot of potential for cute little friendship stories, or innocent ones. ^^

So are you going for a Gary origin story? If that's the case then that's even better. The Pokemon anime loves plotholes. From the inconsitent mess that is how Jessie and James met to no explanation to where Gary lived in Pallet Town. He apparently doesn't live with Oak who seems to live at his lab. In the old episodes Gary leaves to go home or somewhere whenever he's finished visiting his grandfather. EDIT But even so, in Gotta Catch Ya Later! Ash goes to Oak's lab to find Gary. I can understand him thinking they would know where he is and Gary would stop by there to say goodbye but if Gary supposedly lives somewhere else, why would Ash not check his house or something. I swear, this anime redefines sloppy writing.

As for childhood stories, you're right. The writers don't take advantage of that much at all. For the heroes, they usually just show a scene of a character as a kid doing something when it's convenient for the plot like Misty and her tamborine in the Wooper episode or Ash sliding down a hill on a piece of wood in Extreme Pokemon!. It's such a waste. Come on, writers. The easiest way to give a character depth is a backstory episode/chapter. You do it for Team Rocket, do it again for the heroes! Don't just make them chill out whenever you feel like it. Tell us why Gary was so nice when he reappeared in A Tents Situation. Make character development gradual instead of out of nowhere. Some Misty fans disliked Johto for making Misty "too nice" or "too dull".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom