• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Palletshipping

If so, then I don't know what the world's coming to. *shakes head*

Exactly. I can picture how fangirls see him now. They might think that when it comes time for the tournament saga Paul (and other bit characters) will be the trainer to beat. I might go like this: Ash and Paul square off in some semi-final round in a long and close fight. Somewhere in there (or before the tournament even starts) we learn (if we haven't already) why Paul is bitter and mean in flashback mode. His brother might have something to do with his behavior somehow. Ash would defeat Paul and Paul would go through some kind of Break the Haughty moment, make peace with Ash, his friends, and maybe the Chimchar he abandoned and almost completely reform. Either that, or no one but Ash is willing to forgive him. He will get close to Ash and maybe he will go off to do soul searching or something. It sounds like someone's fanfiction.

*barfs* Someone's horrible fanfiction. I'd like to see Paul stay an ass, or not even be beaten by Ash in the league, and he goes all whiney-emo instead of redemption.

I'd also like to see Gary put Paul in his place, Electivire vs Electivire style, but like that's gonna happen.

Well, as a rival, Paul is certainly a more interesting counterpart to Ash than Gary was/is. Don't get me wrong, Gary's awesome, but I'm just saying that I can understand the appeal of Comashipping. Paul is almost vicious in his actions, and is given a much more interactive role in Ash's journey than Gary has been in the past. Gary was simply an arrogant little bastard (which is why I love him so much ^^ ). I guess it's that Gary was, in his early days, what Ash could have been if he was competent and confident in his actions. Paul, on the other hand, is a more complete opposite to Ash, and therefore has that angle of appeal to fans.

Now, I'm still a Palletshipper through and through. But like AR_Sunny said, Gary simply doesn't appear much anymore. We're given more opportunities to see hints of AshXPaul, and it has the makings of an interesting ship, with it's own nuances and dynamics. I think the main reason many Comashippers are former Palletshippers is that they've kinda given up on Gary ever having a really major role in the series again, and are looking to Paul as a sort of 'replacement.'

I think the main reason many Comashippers are former Palletshippers is that they've kinda given up on Gary ever having a really major role in the series again, and are looking to Paul as a sort of 'replacement.'

This happens to nearly every Ash-related ship. The characters just rotate so much and fade into obscurity after they've made their series debut that people lose faith in the ship and move on. I can see this happen to Paul eventually and we'll do the whole thing over again with a new rival until the show ends. IF it ends.

It might end. *shrugs* Or they'll do something totally new with the franchise.

Really, it just shows that people are fickle, and when something they like fades away, they latch onto something new to take its place. We're all like that in a way, right?

True, but the one's who stick with it are the true supporters.

Anyone think that we should all make a website? We have some tiny ones that hang around the net, but a big one with lots of info, pic, fics, and the such worked on by a slice of the fandom might be a good idea. After all, more than one staff member means more than one person means lots of people to collect things, to advertise, and to keep the peace. However, we would also have to find a good central place for communication and comprise.

Feel free to shoot it down.

A website does sound like a good idea -- and it'll even be a convenient place to put up that massive crossover Battle Royale style fic AnimeDutchess was thinking of.

True, but the one's who stick with it are the true supporters.

I think there's a difference there, and I'll use myself as an example. I fully and totally support Palletshipping. However, I also fully and totally support Advanceshipping, and can see the appealing factors Comashipping has to offer, and might enjoy reading a fic or two -- or even writing one -- just to see what can be done with it. Does that make me any less of a Palletshipper? I don't think so.

No, of course not! You're just open to other ships, is all, and there's nothing wrong with that. Things would definitely be better if fandoms were more open to other ships...

Aww *hugs AnimeDutchess* thanks! And I agree, many fandoms would be much more pleasant if the fans were open to more than one ship...

I'll say. Really liking a ship is one thing but for some a ship is Serious Business (Avatar the Last Airbender, Danny Phantom and Harry Potter, anyone?). You'll get bullied and chased out if you dare to have another opinion. It sucks the fun out of shipping and the fandom seems like it's controlled by fanatics who feel superior and better fans than others just because their ship is canon or it will be based on what they see as solid evidence. That's why I try to be sensible and not get too emotionally attached to the idea of two characters I like get into a relationship.

But then again, this is coming from someone who has never shipped seriously until Shishi. I just read decent slash fanfiction from one fandom or another. I like slash couples just because and I don't care at all if they get together or not.

I'll say. Really liking a ship is one thing but for some a ship is Serious Business (Avatar the Last Airbender, Danny Phantom and Harry Potter, anyone?). You'll get bullied and chased out if you dare to have another opinion. It sucks the fun out of shipping and the fandom seems like it's controlled by fanatics who feel superior and better fans than others just because their ship is canon or it will be based on what they see as solid evidence. That's why I try to be sensible and not get too emotionally attached to the idea of two characters I like get into a relationship.

But then again, this is coming from someone who has never shipped seriously until Shishi. I just read decent slash fanfiction from one fandom or another. I like slash couples just because and I don't care at all if they get together or not.

Amen to that. *sighs* that's why I gave up on shipping in the HP fandom -- though I've gotta say, those people still manage to come up with the craziest shit I've ever seen. One fic I saw...*shudders* it involved Harry, Snape, Dumbledore, and a broom closet. I won't say any more.

A few years back, shipping in Pokemon was Serious Business. Or at least, that's what I've heard.

And the funny thing about all three of those series? I support the canon. XD;;;

But yeah. A lot of pain could be avoided if people were more hospitable to those who side with a different ship. Don't a lot of people leave places because of cyber-bullying over ships? It's kind of pointless...

I have returned!... and came back with a extra huge bag of tomatoes. So that y'all can throw them at me for ninja-ing in and out of this thread. ;)

I agree. The ship-wars in the net are pretty massive. And pointless. If someone doesn't agree with you, live with it. Your mother would differenciate between her opinions and yours but you wouldn't necessarily blame or insult her for it. ... okay, probably not the best example but the cyber-bullying is simply idiotic, IMO.

Also, as for the website idea, I 'could' set up a site, but it depends if you want a domain (basically one which costs money) or not.

Last edited:
A few years back, shipping in Pokemon was Serious Business. Or at least, that's what I've heard.

And the funny thing about all three of those series? I support the canon. XD;;;

But yeah. A lot of pain could be avoided if people were more hospitable to those who side with a different ship. Don't a lot of people leave places because of cyber-bullying over ships? It's kind of pointless...

I'd like to think "rival ships" in this case is just a phase that people go through where they have nothing better to argue about. Then again, that's only what I'd like to think.

Anyway, I find a good number of the fics collected here to be quite good. Most of these aren't listed on the Palletshipper Paradise, either. If any links are broken, it's because the webmaster made a typo somewhere.
http://www.angelfire.com/pokemon2/punkshishi/fanworks/fics.html

To go on a tangent, I'm trying to design a custom yin-yang pendant for myself. I suppose it's Gary's/Shigeru's pendant being inspiration for something I'd actually wear myself.

There's a lot of old stuff that's really good on the first ShiShi sites - either that, or it's just hilarious and rife with references to the first couple of seasons. It makes me nostalgic...^_^

Still no word on the Shishi fic I had wanted to try out. College is absolutely murdering any free time for writing I might have, and plus my other story, "A Passion Revived" just got a new review, so I'm re-inspired to continue with it, and therefore my head's full of Advanceshipping. I've been meaning to poke around on ff.net for some decent Shishi fics, though -- if I find any, I'll link them here, and ask for apologies if people have read them already. ^_^ happy shipping!

Back
Top Bottom