• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Anime Continuity Discussion Thread

The trailer couldn't make it any clearer that she is just a sidekick. For that to change they would have to tell us what is so special about her, which they haven't.

Also speaking of the games, pretty much every region will get a remake so as people have already said we could get a Sinnoh remake and then years later a Kalos one then a Alola one and so on and so fourth.

I think the closest Misty got to being an "equal" was the Lugia movie, but even then she still wasn't Ash's equal.

I think by "equal" they mean in terms of being a trainer-- she's not more or less experienced than Ash. You'd think if she was really a co-star she'd have gotten more focus in the promo material, though I guess nothing about this movie makes sense to me so anything is possible.

Buuuuut as far as anime continuity goes, I personally don't believe the 2 continuity thing myself (though the Rica comment does have me doubting myself) only because I don't trust these writers to have anything as complex. Like maybe they've decided that M20 is the new Kanto and Johto-Kalos never happened but I think it would be out of pure laziness/unwillingness to keep every series strung together. I don't think we'll ever explicitly get confirmation of this in-universe though.

̶A̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶u̶n̶t̶i̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶k̶o̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶S̶M̶0̶8̶2̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶.̶ ̶

I don't expect direct confirmation, but I can certainly imagine the writers sharing Rica's mindset about Johto-Kalos not having happened.

And yeah, Makoto could appear, lol. I'd bet on her over Serena.

You know fully well that Makoto is not really his equal. That's just hyperbole; the movie is ultimately about Ash, Pikachu and Ho-Oh.

We don't know her role yet.

I'm not expecting her to be as involved in the story as Dawn was. I guess no female character will ever have such a luxury again. But we know next to nothing about her, and she could very well be more than a mere sidekick.

From the looks of it this movie is about Ho-Oh as much as the eighth movie is about Mew. The crayon chicken will appear for two whole minutes at the beginning to drop one of its feathers and then we'll only see it again in the end. Don't get your hopes up.

There is a movie poster that shows about a hundred Kanto Pokemon, with Pikachu, the starters, Lapras and Gengar highlighted. That's a full team.

And I count Ho-Oh because I am expecting sequels for both Kanto and Johto, which are interconnected regions.

Oh you base your opinions on movie posters. That's cute.
M17_teaser_poster.png

Here's a poster for Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction.

I'd also love to hear why you think Makoto exists if remakes are imminent, which would no doubt use Dawn again. At least Misty's absence is excusable when she was never notable in the games, and she would be too old in sequels.

That's flawed logic. Why would Dawn appear in a retelling of the first episode when not even Misty is appearing?

Diamond and Pearl remakes might be released soon but that's not a good enough reason to shoehorn Dawn in everything they do. It's absurd to think of that when we had Ruby and Sapphire remakes last generation and May never returned and instead of Pokémon Contests we ended up with the mediocre second-rate Showcases.

And are you seriously telling me Misty's absence is excusable after making a number of posts to this thread saying otherwise? Unbelievable.

Tell Mikuri that. Clearly he thinks that anything could change in this continuity.

I said we don't know the rest of Ash's team, which is true. I never said he would show up with an Infernape. I don't even know if he'll have more than three Pokémon in this movie. It's not necessary for Ash to have a full team here if in the vast majority of the movies we just see Ash's Pokémon at the very beginning and ending usually on top of a cliff.

You were laughing at people who brought up Piplup and Lucario as hints towards DP remakes and arguing that Ash has Kanto Pokémon on his team in a retelling of the first episode (what a surprise). Honestly it's easier to believe the writers chose to give Ash's companions two insanely popular Sinnoh Pokémon because there's something Sinnoh-related down the road than using the number of Kanto Pokémon in a film set in Kanto to say otherwise.

And even then, the number of Kanto Pokémon here is nothing no brag about. Ash has three (with one of them being Pikachu), and that's it. The other Pokémon in this movie are Ho-Oh (Johto), Piplup and Lucario (Sinnoh), Incineroar and Marshadow (Alola).

You think that Ash only has three Pokemon? That's cute.

And I clearly meant that Misty's absence was excusable from a soulless game promotion perspective. It doesn't seem that the anime celebrating its past just for the sake of it is important enough to the powers that be.

My point is about Kanto in general, anyway. It is a weird choice for a movie if DP remakes happen this year. Because, as I said, the anime's past just isn't important enough in and of itself.

Last edited:
Tell Mikuri that. Clearly he thinks that anything could change in this continuity.

How many people thought that?

ORAS were not more interesting than B2W2, but it's all subjective so I don't know what you're getting at.

Overall, I am just really confused as to why they would release a Kanto movie in the same year as DP remakes. And don't say that they had to honor the original series, because that is definitely not the case with all the liberties they're taking.

I am going to drop this game discussion because it is incredibly off-topic. The video game forum exists for a reason. Pardon me for saying that I'd rather see Brock and Misty in future games than have them be completely forgotten/marginalized...

Legit every other year people want Kanto remakes. I remember explicitly people saying we would go back to Kanto before Hoenn got remakes.

And what I was getting at was the very fact that it's subjective, but you were acting as if it was factual that going back to Kanto would be more interesting than DP remakes.

I'll just say that any sequels are more interesting than remakes that can only change so much

IMO, ORAS were more interesting than BW2. It would really help your case to stop asserting your views as facts if you're just going to tell everyone else that what they're saying is subjective, especially in the same sentence (that I bolded).

IDK either why they'd do a Kanto movie and DP remakes in the same year, but it's not like it's totally easy to predict The Pokemon Company and Game Freak at this point~

No one said you couldn't want to see Brock and Misty in future games, so I don't know why that's suddenly what you're trying to allude to, but like you said, this is off topic, so I'll just leave it for the Video Game section~

Please everyone, let's drop the game discussion from now on. This thread is about the anime's continuity or lack thereof.

I honestly think neither the anime nor the movie will say anything about this and we will just be left theorizing about this, well unless a older Pokemon of Ash's returns in Sun and Moon. Also about the manga it was made by the same guy who did the 19th movies manga, which unlike the movie didn't include Serena, Clemont, Bonnie, or Zygarde.

Please everyone, let's drop the game discussion from now on. This thread is about the anime's continuity or lack thereof.

Okay for the record. Let people post what they want to. It is related to the topic, it is fine. This is not your role, please don't it.

"Still hoping to see Brock and Misty, but mostly for the game implications if they end up being adults here. Ash interacting with them briefly would actually be painful to see."

This is not off-topic. Mikuri taking an issue with my statement that those characters should be in future games is off-topic. This thread didn't need any more hostility, and yet some of you are so eager to take it in a completely different direction.

And that's a nice bait at the end there. I'll ignore it, but not because I feel that my arguments were weak.

Both of you stop it otherwise it will not be pretty and so help me I will make sure that action will be taken.

@Silktree If you feel that something is off topic report it. It is not your role to decide and tell others how to post and to say that it is off topic. This is not up for debate at all.

When I read 「サトシに負けず、元気いっぱいな女の子トレーナーだ!」 ("An energetic young female trainer that's Satoshi's equal" as it was translated in English), I got the implication that she was a rookie equal to Satoshi... I don't think people should get their hopes up for Makoto to be anything more than a movie-exclusive traveling companion.

Some events are bound to happen and Misty doesn't need Ash to meet Tracey.

Yes, in the original continuity Misty met Tracey because she was traveling through the Orange Archipelago with Ash, but it's not that hard to come up with reasons for her to meet him in this new alternate universe.

Misty is attending a convention for Water-type enthusiasts and Professor Oak, as the most respected researcher in all of Kanto, was invited to give a lecture. He brought along Tracey, his assistant, and Misty and Tracey met one another. No Ash needed.
But why do they need to meet though? They wouldn't create such a convoluted explanation for a minuscule cameo. Kenji's character was always either defined by sketching or being the professor's assistant. Establishing him as always being Orchid's assistant at the beginning of the movie when Satoshi gets Pikachu, or simply showing him sketching Pokemon in the Orange Islands, would be simpler and needs little to no explanation.

In my opinion, the final of Unova is the end of original Ash. There were memories of all his companions, he was talking with Oak about Misty and Tracey, we had special about Brock and Cilan...And then Satoshi went to Kalos and that's it. Kalos seems to be a transition period to me- we didn't have any blast from the past there except of Piplup (it could be Makato's), Steven and Professor Birch- but we don't know if Ash had known them earlier. Ash's childhood mentioned in XY also looked different to me. Specials with Alexa and Cilan may be something like ,,final goodbye"- i'm not sure i wanna be right cause i'd like to see special with Serena's adventure in Hoenn after SM...but i'm not sure Alola and new Ash exist in the same universe that original Ash's past companions live

Last edited:
Problem with this thoery about Sun and Moon being set after the movie is Pikachu knows Electro Ball in Sun and Moon which he learned in Unova and yet at the end of Unova Ash is shown wearing his XY clothes which he doesn't wear in Sun and Moon, so unless Pikachu learns Electro Ball in the Movie it basically rules the theory out.

About Ash's clothes- i don't think XY isn't assosiated with Unova cause, thanks to Alexa and Cilan, we know it is, but i called it ,,transition period" because, even though there are common things for previous seasons and XY like these clothes, we don't have there memories like in BW or DP and Ash's companions weren't curious about his past.

However, the ending of BW is connected with the beginning of XY. We see Ash leaving Kanto on a plane directed to Kalos with his XY clothes, along with Alexa. So, there is still a transition between both series, which is something that has been absent at the beginning of SM.

About Ash's clothes- i don't think XY isn't assosiated with Unova cause, thanks to Alexa and Cilan, we know it is, but i called it ,,transition period" because, even though there are common things for previous seasons and XY like these clothes, we don't have there memories like in BW or DP and Ash's companions weren't curious about his past.
BW was a "transition period", too. They were clear from the get-go about Ash's past not having been rewritten, but let's face it: Both Ash and Team Rocket were inconsistent with their depiction in previous series.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom