• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Anime Continuity Discussion Thread

It is kind of funny how some people were like 100% sure this theory was fact and dismissed anyone who dared to question it.

To be fair, no one expected Brock and Misty to make a cameo, let alone return at all for two episodes. I will say that the return of these two icons is an improvement in continuity progress considering that SM didn't try to connect itself to XY like all the other series.

Personally, I felt that it was likely that SM is connect to XY and the rest of the anime, but its loose hold on continuity until now made it very easy to think otherwise.

Yeah I think in hindsight it's pretty obvious that M20 wasn't supposed to be a way of introducing a new continuity to the tv series.

lol.

I said so many times the continuity was intact and yet, here we are with the ultimate proof.

Say it with me folks. Misty is appearing in an episode of Pokémon in 2017.

To be fair, no one expected Brock and Misty to make a cameo, let alone return at all for two episodes. I will say that the return of these two icons is an improvement in continuity progress considering that SM didn't try to connect itself to XY like all the other series.

Personally, I felt that it was likely that SM is connect to XY and the rest of the anime, but its loose hold on continuity until now made it very easy to think otherwise.
I would say it's fair to suspect it was not connected to other series in any way, but some people did treat it as fact, which isn't exactly fair. It is and always was a theory. If you read some posts in this thread, you'll see that a lot of people who had their doubts about this theory or outright didn't believe it were easily dismissed or downplayed for no other reason than being skeptical.

I would say it's fair to suspect it was not connected to other series in any way, but some people did treat it as fact, which isn't exactly fair. It is and always was a theory. If you read some posts in this thread, you'll see that a lot of people who had their doubts about this theory or outright didn't believe it were easily dismissed or downplayed for no other reason than being skeptical.

Oh I know that. When it comes to theories, I cannot do anything more than give an opinion and offer an argument as to why this theory may be true, as I know there is a chance it may be wrong.

For me, this theory was a perfect time for me to go over why I felt SM was doing poorly with the continuity department (before Brock and Misty appear of course), and why it is easy for people to believe in such a theory. Yet at times, people act as if I believed that the AU SM theory was a fact (particularly on Serebii). Maybe that's why I'm a bit defensive lately. Speaking of Serebii, I can say that SM has finally followed my criteria to disprove this theory:

It's not hard to see how easy it is for people to split SM off from the main continuity. That's why having more continuity references (and not Easter Eggs) is essential to stop that myth. But if there's not as much, then don't expect this to die down anytime soon.

Umm I've been out of the loop (and inactive) for 8 months. I heard that some old characters were returning, which made me remember I have an account here (oops)
Does anyone know if S&M has more references to previous series after episode 10? I stopped after that because of school stuff.

Umm I've been out of the loop (and inactive) for 8 months. I heard that some old characters were returning, which made me remember I have an account here (oops)
Does anyone know if S&M has more references to previous series after episode 10? I stopped after that because of school stuff.

Other than Matori and a few Easter Eggs involving lures, no. That's what makes Brock and Misty's return all the more surprising.

They didn't even used Kasumi's lure. Which probably means that they didn't planned to return them.

Maybe they forgot about her lure? Or figured since she'd show up 30 episodes later there wasn't a point

Having the whole show in one Cannon is rather dumb considering how Ash's personality is all over the place though the whole thong. I think they really missed an opportunity to actually have a consistent ark.

In reality the Ash that first traveled with Misty is so different I wonder if she would even recognize him.

They didn't even used Kasumi's lure. Which probably means that they didn't planned to return them.

Jessie and James used Ekans and Koffing lures though.

Ash not using the Misty lure was more for consistency with his friends.

Lana: Popplio lure
Kiawe: Charizard lure
Mallow: Bounsweet lure
Sophocles: Togedemaru lure
Lillie: Clefairy lure
Ash: Pikachu lure

Actually this bit isn't hard to explain: since Ash came to Alola for a vacation and not equipped with all he needed for a new journey, it's easy to say he forgot his lure like he did his rod... Funny how we can explain anything. TBH though the writers could have plain forgotten.

Anyways, would be nice to see his room, with all the gifts (lure, May's tediursa doll...). Just an Easter egg, but we don't expect a lot more anyway.

Jessie and James used Ekans and Koffing lures though.

Ash not using the Misty lure was more for consistency with his friends.

Lana: Popplio lure
Kiawe: Charizard lure
Mallow: Bounsweet lure
Sophocles: Togedemaru lure
Lillie: Clefairy lure
Ash: Pikachu lure

Lillie using a Clefairy lure? Hmm..

BTW, maybe this thread no longer serves any purpose.

Huh, that makes things strange. What about the 2oth movie? I forgot about Pokemon in the summer, (also partly because of school stuff)

The 20th movie is its own continuity. It should have been clear by the fact that Ash has a different hat and is accompanied by different people.

What I like about it is the fact that it opened a doorway for alternate continuities.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom