• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 release date confirmed: New English names revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LMAO when I herd about Pokewood. It took me some time to get the hollywood refrence.
But maybe I just have a dirty mind.

So I saw the English trailer for BW2, and Shizui's dubbed name sounds more like a girl's name (could've gone with Seymour). The rival's name reminds me of Hugh Neutron.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap about names? However I would have liked to see the rival's name.

shh i think pokestar studio is better than pokewood shh

I've found that Akuroma's English name is Corless from an article by the Official Nintendo Magazine UK and added it to this article.

They could've just have him called "Achroma" so the theme and name stays the same but with a different pronunciation for the English speakers. Not sure if they're going to keep the new girl's name because Mei sounds more like May, which is already been taken.

Mei means beautiful right? so maybe Bella (or not... Damn you Meyer for absolutly ruining perfectly good name!) Belle would be confusing since that's Bianca's jap name is Bel.. to bad she can't keep her Jap name because of the whole May/Mei issue

I guess that gives me plenty of time to figure out how I plan on making the money to get my hands on this. Really can't wait to play it though!

So wait, the franchise that's been using the term "Pokeballs" for a decade and a half changes Pokewood because it sounds too dirty?

So wait, the franchise that's been using the term "Pokeballs" for a decade and a half changes Pokewood because it sounds too dirty?

It's not confirmed at all. Just a joke.

Different time... different translators.

I don't really like Hue's name change to Hugh though. Yes same pronunciation, but... Hue had a relation to shades and colors.

Really, his name was never "Hue" and always "Hugh". "Hue" is the name origin, but his Japanese name was merely a transliteration of the English name "Hugh". Nothing was changed in translation, and I never expected TCPi to use "Hue" anyway.

I'm actually glad they changed it to "Hugh" because to me, "Hue" sounds more like just a word with a literal meaning than a clever pun.

It isn't like they had over 600 Pokemon to give US English Names to this time. Or 20 cities and people to give US English names. Only just a few things needed US English names. Most of all of the other names stayed the same from BW. And the US English Versions were announced the same time as the Japanese Versions, so Nintendo of America and The Pokemon Company International have been working on the US English Versions since February when they were announced. Evidence of this was that we started getting getting US English names and US boxart last month. Nothing is rushed. They just worked fast. The US English names are great. Like always. And everyone will get used to them, like always.

They never had to name 600 Pokémon, the most has been 156 during the dawn of Generation V. The other mentioned things are barely notable as 99% of the game's text is dialogue, the main meat of the translation process. Not denying it won't be great, though.

Plus it's not US English, it's just English. We here in Europe will get the exactly same names and translations.

I kinda worry this means the translation will be rushed resulting in questionable dubbed dialogue (The "All Your Base" kind of dialogue). The U.S. had more than 4 months to get the games fully translated from the previous games.
The meme references were awesome and something I'd gladly approve with.

Screenshots from the game's website shows that the localization team seems to be doing a good job in putting energy and personality in Hugh and Marlon's dialogue.

Plus it's not US English, it's just English. We here in Europe will get the exactly same names and translations.
Unfortunately. I don't know why we have to read words like "defense" and "color" instead of "defence" and "colour". I also find the American dating used irksome. Why can't NoE do something about it?

Poke Balls certainly sounds a lot less dirtier than 'Monster Balls'.

That's awesome :D I'm so excited! But unless my husband gets hired for a job, I won't be able to get it T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom