• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I'm talking about marketing. And just held items, abilities, breeding, full RSE compatibility, Wireless Adapter (the Union Room was pretty big in Japan) and VS Seeker are the kind of changes you're unlikely to see here. Granted, that has a lot to do with the gimmicky nature of post-DP features, but not even following Pokemon?

I've really started to grow frustrated with how they're handling this cycle. Seriously, if there's no new content, just tell us. We don't know if this is a 1:1 remake or if it will have some new content, or even added content from Platinum. They aren't even telling us about QoL improvements. So what is going on?

This is quite the drought, isn't it? 5 months after the announcement, and not much gameplay info at all, aside from a few clips in an OLED switch ad. Just goes to show they would've been much better off just announcing the game 2-3 months before the release date, in the name of preventing pokefans from going crazy.

They’ve told us that from the very start. I don’t think anyone should really be expecting anything beyond that - really the only question is what exactly will fall under the purview of “QoL” (i.e. does that mean the Dex? HMs?), and how much of Platinum’s bonus content will be preserved.
I’ve been expecting that much from the get go but I've been told on this thread multiple times that it may not be the case, but I do feel my opinion is the most probable one right now. It’s basically "Diamond and Pearl for 2021 players who don’t have a DS".

What about Fire Red and Leaf green? Take out the Sevi Islands and all you are left with is the Gen 1 games with gen 3 graphics.
I feel that all the remakes are faithful in some way.
@Silktree was referring to the marketing. The remakes are usually marketed with the new stuff and the marketing itself calling them "faithful" is new.

No, they didn't. They said it would be a "faithful remake", but they can still make it a faithful remake and add in some extras, such as new Pokemon/forms, extra areas, extra new features (such as how past remakes introduced things such as the Pokeathlon, DexNav, Mirage Spots, etc.). What @PkmnTrainerV seems to be saying, and what I'm worried about, is that they won't even have those sorts of improvements and it's basically going to be DPPt with little more than graphical and QoL improvements.

As for what QoL improvements they could have specifically, I'm thinking the following are possible:

-diagonal movement (already confirmed from trailer)
-HMs replaced with something similar to Poke Ride/Secret Techniques
-Home compatibility
-PC anywhere as in LGPE and SwSh
-TMs now reusable and TRs added
-Fairy type added
-Hyper Training added
-Pokemon Amie/Refresh/Camp equivalent
-existing regional variants and/or Megas included
While I agree these are QoL improvements and already differentiate BDSP from DP, I don't believe we should be happy about them. These are results of a natural progression of games and the franchise. Of course, the fairy type is in the game; of course, TMs are reusable. Even the fact we, as fans, are making a conversation about these features' return or cut shows us how GF manages expectations and remakes of older games terribly. These features can not justify the games as ambitious remakes or packed with content because these features are now essential parts of the games. We need extra stories, characters, places, brand new content for that. Like the Delta episode.

But even then I think it wasn't enough. I don't wanna see any more remakes. I wanna see sequels. Like how in B2W2 we have a different starting town, more than 5 new places, new gym leaders, new wild pokemon, a new champion, a new story, a new walkthrough, a new rival etc. in a region we travelled before. I would want to see what happened after Cyrus is defeated, new gyms, new towns, new wild pokemon from gen4+, new rivals, what happened to Dawn/Lucas and Berry... I want to see a brand new Sinnoh. I know that we have Legends: Arceus for that but still I would love to play a classical formula game with these features.

I still think remakes like this do have their place. Kids born in 2014, when these games were becoming hard to find, probably never had a chance to play the originals, and they won't with US prices going for hundreds.

And this isn't just about them too, yeah right now you can just play the original DP or Platinum, but what about other fans who sold them as kids, and how long before your ds, or 3ds, or the cardridge itself breaks. Gba games are starting to die and it probably won't be long before ds games go next, or the ds itself (Cheap ass hinges, my first one in 2007 broke in that same year, altough it started almost as soon as I got it) and when that happens, theres a still recent release you can grab for sinnoh.

Altough Oras is already breaking for some people while I've heard nothing about the originals outside of the battery so...ignore my rambling lol.

Anyway I hope people finally stop begging for remakes, HGSS was the exception not the rule, and even those didn't do much to fix the problems GSC had. We've seen with every other remake that game freak wants faithful remakes, frlg might as well been RB without the glitches and with some post game, Oras was the most drastic with story changes and even those just boiled down to megas are a part of the lore now, Lets go was so faithful they cut abilities and held items (but got rid of HMS so that shows you we should be done with them) and only had the original 151 (plus meltan and alolan/mega pokemon).

What we should be asking for is more legends games...even then we've been in the same news drought for those, entirely new games, as well. Makes me wonder if it really will just be a big empty world, Its one thing that bdsp has no new news, but legends? They have nothing to show?

Edit: and as far as brining the games to the modern day with their remakes, as we've seen from swsh it would be a bunch of pretty looking towns with 3 empty buildings that all look alike. So even if they did remakes in swsh style it would be pretty bad too. At least in this style its not as bad when all the insides of the houses look the same.

Edit 2: ILLCA if you're going with diamond and pearls story please do something with Cyrus at the end, he just walks away like nothing happened. It should at least set up for a platinum post game episode.

Last edited:
even then we've been in the same news drought for those, entirely new games, as well. Makes me wonder if it really will just be a big empty world, Its one thing that bdsp has no new news, but legends? They have nothing to show?
Because if they started marketing Legends before BDSP, the hype for the latter will die out faster than you can say "Dawn".

To be fair, they could reveal a fair bit about Legends in 6 months. They're still going to market the games at the same time unless they only give Legends two months, which seems unlikely.

Edit 2: ILLCA if you're going with diamond and pearls story please do something with Cyrus at the end, he just walks away like nothing happened. It should at least set up for a platinum post game episode.
With Legends having the Distortion World portal, I don't see the point of BDSP doing essentially the same thing. They could foreshadow Cyrus finding the Distortion World, where time doesn't flow (so he could show up in Legends).

I think @Silktree is probably right in that there's really just not that much to show off about these games. I'm not saying that as a positive or a negative thing, it just owes to what the games fundamentally are. I mean, even if there's Platinum content or some new post-game episode, there's probably not going to be so much that it requires more than four months of marketing time. The first few months of ORAS's cycle were mostly sustained by the new Megas and the character redesigns, none of which are present here. We already know the characters will all look the same, and if there are any Megas involved, it'll probably just be the existing ones. For the general audience, being told "Look forward to a faithful, nostalgic Sinnoh experience coming later this year!" and then having the mechanics of the returning features detailed over the course of August, September, and October will probably be sufficient. I mean this in only the most affectionate (and self-implicating) way, but most people aren't the sorts who go wild upon seeing that Lucas's backpack has three more lines on it, you know? Even something like "Which Dex is the game using?", while seemingly a very important issue to us, probably isn't a deal-breaker for the average buyer, especially when the initial announcement did say that all the Pokémon from the original games would be here.

While I agree these are QoL improvements and already differentiate BDSP from DP, I don't believe we should be happy about them. These are results of a natural progression of games and the franchise. Of course, the fairy type is in the game; of course, TMs are reusable. Even the fact we, as fans, are making a conversation about these features' return or cut shows us how GF manages expectations and remakes of older games terribly. These features can not justify the games as ambitious remakes or packed with content because these features are now essential parts of the games. We need extra stories, characters, places, brand new content for that. Like the Delta episode.

I never said we should. This is what I think will happen, not what I want to happen.

But even then I think it wasn't enough. I don't wanna see any more remakes. I wanna see sequels. Like how in B2W2 we have a different starting town, more than 5 new places, new gym leaders, new wild pokemon, a new champion, a new story, a new walkthrough, a new rival etc. in a region we travelled before. I would want to see what happened after Cyrus is defeated, new gyms, new towns, new wild pokemon from gen4+, new rivals, what happened to Dawn/Lucas and Berry... I want to see a brand new Sinnoh. I know that we have Legends: Arceus for that but still I would love to play a classical formula game with these features.

Agreed. After BW2, I thought sequels would be the new normal and we'd be getting third versions instead of sequels and we'd start to see old versions get the sequel treatment. But nope, BW2 was a one time thing sadly.

Anyway I hope people finally stop begging for remakes, HGSS was the exception not the rule, and even those didn't do much to fix the problems GSC had.

A lot of GSC's problems aren't really fixable, especially when it comes to the pacing. You're just never going to make the pacing feel completely right when you're trying to squeeze two regions into one game. There was a few things they could've done better (better Pokemon availability, throwing in more Johto Pokemon to the gym leader teams, bumping up some of the Kanto gym leaders' levels), but for the most part, they couldn't have done HGSS much better.

We've seen with every other remake that game freak wants faithful remakes, frlg might as well been RB without the glitches and with some post game, Oras was the most drastic with story changes and even those just boiled down to megas are a part of the lore now, Lets go was so faithful they cut abilities and held items (but got rid of HMS so that shows you we should be done with them) and only had the original 151 (plus meltan and alolan/mega pokemon).

This is something that really irks me about the remakes because even the conventional remakes are too faithful to the point that they retain some of the flaws of the original games. The regional dexes stay the same (aside from throwing in a few token cross gen evos) subjecting us to the same lack of variety of certain types despite there being more than enough Pokemon to fix that now. The map designs tend to replicate the rudimentary design philosophies of the older hardware despite the newer hardware being capable of much, much more. It sort of defeats the purpose of a remake if they self-impose these sorts of restrictions, the whole point of a remake is to update the game to modern standards, I want to see what these games would be like if they were made today, not what they'd be like if they were made back in the day but with an HD coat of paint.

What we should be asking for is more legends games...even then we've been in the same news drought for those, entirely new games, as well. Makes me wonder if it really will just be a big empty world, Its one thing that bdsp has no new news, but legends? They have nothing to show?

Legends they have a bit more leeway on because it's not coming out as soon, there's still 6 months to go before it comes out. We could go until about September before we have to start worrying about not seeing LA news.

Agreed. After BW2, I thought sequels would be the new normal and we'd be getting third versions instead of sequels and we'd start to see old versions get the sequel treatment. But nope, BW2 was a one time thing sadly.
Honestly, starry-eyes-young-me had a lot of hope for USUM when they released the "new" map, and that Necrozma's interference may cause all kinds of new forms to surface.

Honestly, starry-eyes-young-me had a lot of hope for USUM when they released the "new" map, and that Necrozma's interference may cause all kinds of new forms to surface.

Nah, I wasn't fooled by USUM. They showed off a lot more of USUM throughout its news cycle, but it never really had that major "this is what makes it drastically different from SM" reveal that made me legit hyped for it, I was just cautiously optimistic (and no, I wasn't fooled by the "this isn't the Alola you know" trailer either, although I did think it would be better than it actually turned out to be). Unfortunately, my suspicions turned out to be correct and there was no such reveal in the game altogether.

What really crushed me though was that I was really looking forward to an XY2 and not only did it not get a sequel, but it didn't get any kind of updated experience at all. No sequel, no third version, no DLC, nothing. That was so profoundly disappointing because XY was incredibly barebones and felt like it was well suited for a sequel to dramatically update it as they did with BW2, but they didn't even bother and cut 6th gen a year shorter than it probably should've been (both 3rd and 4th gen were 4 years long with three sets of games, and while 5th gen wasn't, it was a weird, transitional gen and it made perfect sense for that gen to be cut short to transition to the 3DS as soon as they were ready. 6th gen not so much).

With BDSP I'm getting the same kind of vibe as USUM. I'm cautiously optimistic about the game having something to set it apart from DP (even something smaller like new forms, sidequests, etc.), but I have a sneaking suspicion that those things don't actually exist in the game and it's a glorified remaster.

Hey, guys. I'm just wanting to you why you think that Nintendo and The Pokémon Company hasn't yet announced the next Pokémon Presents video presentation that will reveal the Pokémon BDSP and/or Pokémon Legends: Arceus information for a long time?

Only three months until Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are released. Are we not going to get any news until it drops? I'm worried that Brilliant Diamond won't be so brilliant.
So soon? Time really flies, huh.

My guess is that they'll either release a lot of information right before release or leave everything a mystery (the same could be said for Legends: Arceus, but that has the advantage of a later release date). I'm neutral on either possibility. Sure, I'm excited to play them by virtue of the style and the fact that they're, well, Pokémon games, but Gen 4 was never my favorite generation, so I've never really cared about getting remakes for them. It would be cool to get new features, but I'm mostly interested as to how they do Contests (and how other characters will look in the chibi style)

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom