• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legends Z-A Pokemon Legends Z-A General Speculation & Discussion

The crater far predates the firing of the ultimate weapon, its a million years old, the war was 3000 years before XY
yeah that's probably true but it's still a cool idea

I just realized, the map in the trailer is slightly incorrect from XY. In XY the Plaza with the canal running through it is located in the north west, but in the trailer the same Plaza is on the south east instead.
The map isn't just flipped north and south like I thought, Because the plaza in the north is still in the north, not at the bottom, weird.

Edit: Actually no, the canal was just MOVED, its in the spot that's a street in XY, while what used to be the canal is just a path now, hm.

My random off the cuff prediction for how the map will be split up. The yellow is the hub area (IDK what to do with the canal). I kept the streets as theoretically part of the hub are because thats where a lot of shops are located in the OG games.
1709232001212.png

My random off the cuff prediction for how the map will be split up. The yellow is the hub area (IDK what to do with the canal). I kept the streets as theoretically part of the hub are because thats where a lot of shops are located in the OG games.
Oooh I didn't even factor in the streets. This totally makes sense compared to just the prison tower hub.

Anywho, I totally get the weirdness of a game set in one city, particularly when it's one we've already seen before and hence already assume the scale, but i am totally for this. If you can do this with any Pokemon city, it's the one based on Paris. There's a lot you can pull from that regular Lumiose didn't. The catacombs, Notre Dame (might admitidley be a touchy thing with it being an actual religious cathedral, but they made the Sagrada Família work in Paldea by just making a building that resembles it, so maybe?), I see lot of potential here.

Oooh I didn't even factor in the streets. This totally makes sense compared to just the prison tower hub.

Anywho, I totally get the weirdness of a game set in one city, particularly when it's one we've already seen before and hence already assume the scale, but i am totally for this. If you can do this with any Pokemon city, it's the one based on Paris. There's a lot you can pull from that regular Lumiose didn't. The catacombs, Notre Dame (might admitidley be a touchy thing with it being an actual religious cathedral, but they made the Sagrada Família work in Paldea by just making a building that resembles it, so maybe?), I see lot of potential here.
The Paris Catacombs sound like a perfect biome for Dark/Ghost type Pokémon, so it could reallistically be included if we take into account that Lumiose is being rebuilt in order to better suit both people and Pokémon, so it's not farfectched we would see a variety of biomes within the city so they can thrive.

I don't see any problem with the inclusion of a Notre Dame expy, Hearthome City already had a church-esque building, and the Space-Time towers in the Darkrai movie were also inspired by the Sagrada Familia, after all, despite being catholic churches, they're cultural and architectural landmarks of their respective cities.

Ok slight rant:
I absolutely do not understand the concern some fans have for this game taking place in just Lumiose City (and maybe some of the surrounding geography). The precedent for large urban exploration in a single city setting already exists in so many other rpgs. You're telling me you can't imagine a scaled up version of Lumiose being full of alleys, rooftops, undergrounds, parks, lakes, etc. full of Pokémon to capture and befriend? And that Lumiose (the biggest city in the franchise thus far, and likely why it was picked for this concept), couldn't be the focal point of a game where we presumably aid in the redevelopment of the city for Pokémon and humans to survive?

I get that everyone has their own tastes and it's all subjective, which is fine, but a big part of me feels like this is just another instance of some Pokémon fans being close-minded to anything that differs from the typical gameplay loop we've seen in every other mainline game.

To be extremely blunt, I'd take a single bustling city setting over another barren and empty map any day.
A lot of people are comparing it to the hardware-limited 3DS version of Lumiose, but I don't think that alone is the problem. From what I gather, people fear Game Freak won't be able to pull off their premise of an "urban redevelopment plan" in a satisfying way to successfully pull off enough environmental diversity. I think a big factor in the execution of this premise is what time period Legends: Z-A is going to take place in: it wouldn't be much of an issue if the Haussmann period theory is what the game's going for (there's enough evidence I pointed out in a previous post to suggest Lumiose originally tried to get a bigger reach), but it being a modern or future Lumiose might make it harder to pull off unless there's some sort of post-apocalyptical justification for both the redevelopment and "entirely in Lumiose City" aspects (my other prediction in this thread).

Regardless, I think that what we think of as 'Lumiose City' is going to be a bit different in this new title than the one we're accustomed to.

I think we should also talk about how much forshadowing was in scarlet and violet for kalos, the fact that the places they were based on are neighboring countries in real life and how the creater in paldea was probably formed by the ultimate weapon
The crater far predates the firing of the ultimate weapon, its a million years old, the war was 3000 years before XY
The Great Crater of Paldea is definitely unrelated to where AZ's Ultimate Weapon was aiming for. On the other hand, the similarities between the weapon (closed, X, and Y) and Glimmora itself (both closed and open) is pretty uncanny. Given the evolutionary line's tendency to feed off of minerals and a connection to the energy source of the debut gimmick in its region, it wouldn't surprise me if AZ possibly…
  1. Based the Ultimate Weapon off Glimmora's behavior,
  2. Used Glimmet/Glimmora materials to build the weapon, or
  3. There is/was a Kalosian Glimmora variant somehow connected to the Ultimate Weapon and feeds off of Infinity Energy (aka Pokémon life force and/or evolutionary energy) in a similar manner to Paldean Glimmora feeding off of Tera-infused minerals.
While it could indeed be a coincidence, I think a possible connection between the Ultimate Weapon and Glimmora is more plausible than the Great Crater of Paldea being the impact site of the Ultimate Weapon (especially since the time frames between the weapon's creation and the crater's formation already don't match up).

but it being a modern or future Lumiose might make it harder to pull off unless there's some sort of post-apocalyptical justification for both the redevelopment and "entirely in Lumiose City" aspects (my other prediction in this thread).
We already have a much less depressing justification. They want the city to better accomidate Humans and Pokemon together. It's not much different than modern cities wanting to revamp themselves to be more green with plants and stuff (and clean energy), one of said main cities with plans for that being... Paris!
It's just that unlike wild animals irl, Pokemon are ALSO able to live along side humans fine, so thats included.

As for entirely in lumiose city, thats simply because that's the focus they wanted to do, not much reason to travel to the other side of the reigon when the focus of the story is redevelopment.

We already have a much less depressing justification. They want the city to better accomidate Humans and Pokemon together. It's not much different than modern cities wanting to revamp themselves to be more green with plants and stuff (and clean energy), one of said main cities with plans for that being... Paris!
It's just that unlike wild animals irl, Pokemon are ALSO able to live along side humans fine, so thats included.
So the Occam's Razor approach? Not knocking the idea, just trying to entertain the thought that there might be more of a reason to come to this decision.

As for entirely in lumiose city, thats simply because that's the focus they wanted to do, not much reason to travel to the other side of the reigon when the focus of the story is redevelopment.
From a developer's perspective I get the reasoning. However, I was thinking more along the lines of an in-universe reason for the limitation. If something dangerous was going on outside Lumiose, it would 1) make sense for the characters to be confined there and 2) justify a bunch of Pokémon showing up in a modern day urban setting, giving more of a concrete reason for the redevelopment plan and get the player invested.

The Great Crater of Paldea is definitely unrelated to where AZ's Ultimate Weapon was aiming for. On the other hand, the similarities between the weapon (closed, X, and Y) and Glimmora itself (both closed and open) is pretty uncanny. Given the evolutionary line's tendency to feed off of minerals and a connection to the energy source of the debut gimmick in its region, it wouldn't surprise me if AZ possibly…
  1. Based the Ultimate Weapon off Glimmora's behavior,
  2. Used Glimmet/Glimmora materials to build the weapon, or
  3. There is/was a Kalosian Glimmora variant somehow connected to the Ultimate Weapon and feeds off of Infinity Energy (aka Pokémon life force and/or evolutionary energy) in a similar manner to Paldean Glimmora feeding off of Tera-infused minerals.
While it could indeed be a coincidence, I think a possible connection between the Ultimate Weapon and Glimmora is more plausible than the Great Crater of Paldea being the impact site of the Ultimate Weapon (especially since the time frames between the weapon's creation and the crater's formation already don't match up).

IDK that Glimmora will have a connection to the Ultimate Weapon. Glimmora seems to have more of a connection to Terastal Energy, which unless they want to make a connection between that and Infinity Energy, they're two different types of energies.

Really, it seems like there's a new Grass type legendary that's connected to the Ultimate Weapon, judging by the A in the logo. I'm guessing the A legendary might have something to do with Infinity Energy and AZ used its power to create the Ultimate Weapon. Perhaps this legendary is also an enemy of Zygarde and represents chaos and change in opposition to Zygarde representing order and balance?

I feel like It wouldn't be an enemy, part of X and Y's legend stuff is things going together.
Xerneas and Yveltal rule over life and death, but they aren't enemies, they are two sides of the same coin, with one there must always be the other.
So Zygarde and this A legendary wouldn't be enemies even if they represented order vs chaos, something something you need to have both.

A potential A legendary wouldn't be a bad idea, given that PLA introduced Enamorus, so a retroactive legendary maybe kind of possible.

I think the Swords of Justice will appear in the Pokedex, it would be the most fitting considering the Forces of Nature appeared in Hisui.

IDK that Glimmora will have a connection to the Ultimate Weapon. Glimmora seems to have more of a connection to Terastal Energy, which unless they want to make a connection between that and Infinity Energy, they're two different types of energies.
I didn't mean to imply that I believe Glimmora to be the major component of the Ultimate Weapon, but that AZ was inspired by it and/or involved some of the Pokémon's petals in the weapon's construction. The most a possible connection it would probably have as-is to said weapon would be its outer casing, or to a lesser extent the Pokémon simply inspiring AZ design-wise. The regional variant idea was that it would switch from Terastal Energy to that of the regional minerals. If anything, I'm implying that the line itself would simply adapt to the regional gimmick like parasites should Game Freak want to reuse the Pokémon somewhere down the line without Terastal being present.

Really, it seems like there's a new Grass type legendary that's connected to the Ultimate Weapon, judging by the A in the logo. I'm guessing the A legendary might have something to do with Infinity Energy and AZ used its power to create the Ultimate Weapon. Perhaps this legendary is also an enemy of Zygarde and represents chaos and change in opposition to Zygarde representing order and balance?
That's one possibility I'm personally expecting. That being said, it would be interesting (and funny) if either its minions or the A Legendary itself were an rfake/convergent species to Glimmora, making the Paldean flower both a red herring and foreshadowing of the Pokémon that's actually connected to the Ultimate Weapon.

What do you guys think will be in the Pokédex? Will most (if not all) the Gen 6 ones be there (like how Legends Arceus featured all the Gen 4 Pokémon)?
I'm not sure if all 450 in XY's Pokédex will make it in, nor can I really predict what we'll actually be getting. However, they should at least give us all the Kalos-debut species and all of the evolutionary lines that got a Mega Evolution (including ORAS ones).

Given that Zygarde's whole thing is the balance of nature, i suspect that it will call us to Lumiose because nature is out of whack somehow. This might lead to the city having biomes you wouldn't expect in a setting like Lumiose, such as a part of the city that's frozen over or a flooded part of the city

A potential A legendary wouldn't be a bad idea, given that PLA introduced Enamorus, so a retroactive legendary maybe kind of possible.
One thing I'm hoping for is that this game introduces a handful of new Pokemon. I don't mean Megas or regional forms, I mean completely original species not tied to anything pre-existing to shore up Kalos' relatively small 72 man roster. A new mascot legendary would be a solid start, but some more regular Bugs and Grounds would be nice.

What do you guys think will be in the Pokédex? Will most (if not all) the Gen 6 ones be there (like how Legends Arceus featured all the Gen 4 Pokémon)?
Undoubtedly. The only wrinkle in this rule compared to Legends Arceus is how ORAS megas will be counted. Are they also considered "Kalos originals" and therefore must all be included one way or another? Or are they good with just having the ones for mons already in the Kalos dex (e.g. Salamence and Audino) and stopping there?

I also think we're gonna get a noticeably smaller Pokedex overall, something in the 300-350 range perhaps. Keeping the XY 457 would be super obnoxious if they stick to PLA's catching emphasis and having the whole thing in one city would be a bit odd from a worldbuilding standpoint.

I'm not sure if all 450 in XY's Pokédex will make it in, nor can I really predict what we'll actually be getting. However, they should at least give us all the Kalos-debut species and all of the evolutionary lines that got a Mega Evolution (including ORAS ones).
Maybe not ALL the megas.
1. That combined with the pokemon introduced in gen 6 and all the pokemon in the trailer, is MOST of the pokedex if the number is around the same as PLA
2. That aside, i struggle to Imagine Rayquaza just hanging out in Lumiose for some reason. Feels like that would need to be part of the story but I also don't see how that would work. (And if the game DOES end up being in the past, Mewtwo doesn't really work. Even with something akin to space time distortions he has to end up BACK to the modern day at some point)

As for the A legendary, it could be possible that it's not really a rival to Zygarde, but more of a needed opposite, much like Xerneas and Yveltal, both are needed to keep the balance of the ecosystem.

Maybe the A legendary could be in charge of change, being the chaos Pokemon. But neither chaos nor order are evil, just that they are two sides of the same coin, much like life and death.

So are Fire type and Ice type Pokémon just going to be casually strolling through a city of old buildings and trees or will there be some sort of city-apprppriate biome like a factory or storage area for them?

And I'm wondering why we'd meet Xerneas, very much a woodland being, in the middle of a mega city.

Back
Top Bottom