• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legends Z-A Pokemon Legends Z-A General Speculation & Discussion

I know people think this game will be a sequel/prequel to XY, but does it have to be? We don't even know anything about the game other than we are helping to redevelop Lumiose City. Just because it takes place in Kalos does not mean that it HAS to be a sequel/prequel to XY. There have been changes and recons before. Like, when we moved from Gen 2 to Gen 3, Pokémon went from being newly discovered creatures to creatures that were always there from the beginning.

Also, we have to remember that the beginning of the trailer starts out as a 2D sketch of a building, done in the style of a blueprint, before transitioning to 3D. I have a feeling they did the 3D more for the coolness factor than hinting at the time period the game will take place in. Easier to show off something like that in 3D than it is in 2D.
This notion actually fits in with an earlier post I made about the Haussmann equivalent possibly being some sort of Seer, or at least having a Pokémon that has future vision. Such a factor would obviously lead to changes in the timeline, thus making the events of PLZA a split timeline in regards to XY by default. The 3D effects could also be a representation of how Poké-Haussmann sees the various futures of his ideas should game Game Freak choose to do something with that in the actual game.

Last edited:
This notion actually fits in with an earlier post I made about the Haussmann equivalent possibly being some sort of Seer, or at least having a Pokémon that has future vision. Such a factor would obviously lead to changes in the timeline, thus making the events of PLZA a split timeline in regards to XY by default. The 3D effects could also be a representation of how Poké-Haussmann sees the various futures of his ideas should game Game Freak choose to do something with that in the actual game.
After all, the series isn't new to the multiverse gimmick, we've got the Rainbow Rocket arc with USUM featuring the main villains till date hailing from timelines seeing them succeed in their plans, only to get steamrolled by us players and yeeted back to their universes by Colress.

Then the anime had their fair bit of multiversal shenanigans in movies and episodes, now, we end with Hoopa doing Portal level stuff so I don't discard entirely something related to varios universes/timelines.

After all, the series isn't new to the multiverse gimmick, we've got the Rainbow Rocket arc with USUM featuring the main villains till date hailing from timelines seeing them succeed in their plans, only to get steamrolled by us players and yeeted back to their universes by Colress.

Then the anime had their fair bit of multiversal shenanigans in movies and episodes, now, we end with Hoopa doing Portal level stuff so I don't discard entirely something related to varios universes/timelines.
You could say that the remakes are in different universes than the original games.

Heck, if you think about it, each player's save file in any given game is its own universe, separate from other players. Each person will use different teams of Pokémon in each particular game. Some players might keep their Starter around, while others drop the Starter.

i think it's because if you assume a past setting it's a lot easier to simply slot in elements from PLA's plot and adapt it to the Kalos setting, hence why the vid i assume you're referring to has all the galaxy team ripoff & the volo ripoff.
If i were to make any guesses at a future setting's plot than i'd say i want them to have a neo Team Flare who are just textually neofascists.

i think it's because if you assume a past setting it's a lot easier to simply slot in elements from PLA's plot and adapt it to the Kalos setting
It's funny because this would just be the most boring route possible lmao. I dunno about others but I'm having way more fun thinking about and discussing with friends how to follow up XY's story directly with actually unique beats and concepts based in Kalos/Lumiose City's strengths and themes as a setting. To reduce the intrigue and potential to "Just do Volo again but based on Diantha this time" is so lame

Ehhh, evil teams are the main main games schtick, I liked the break in PLA to just an evil individual instead of a whole organization. Heck team flares goal of making the world more beautiful is one that can actually reasonably be shifted over to a much more same version. Not that they would be called team flare, quasar logo and all that.
While not a full on team, we did get the Miss Fortune trio in LA, so I wouldn't be surprised if they still want to have some villainous group

I wonder if GF will take the opportunity to insert the Swords of Justice in Kalos like they deserved (instead of Isshu) in a completely new way aside from those abominations in Paldea.
The quartet should have been more fleshed out (some Kalosian forms), namely what they did in the war against humans. The wars mentioned in Isshu and Kalos were between human kingdoms/factions, so the quartet's fight seems akin to my beloved Team Plasma, which I'd also like to see them return in some way.

If these games are set after the events of X and Y I was wondering how would they explain new mega stones. And I came up with two ideas:

Synthetic mega stones, maybe created using zygarde cells or something
And
After lysandre used the ultimate weapon it created more mega stones

If these games are set after the events of X and Y I was wondering how would they explain new mega stones. And I came up with two ideas:

Synthetic mega stones, maybe created using zygarde cells or something
And
After lysandre used the ultimate weapon it created more mega stones
or those mega stones existed all along but we never found them in XY. like how Eevee could evolve into Glaceon all along; there just weren't any ice rocks in the earlier games.

Gen VI also introduced the Fairy type, retconned the types of some mons and a new eeveelution with no further explanations only because they fit the Fairy type bill.

If this ends up as a XY sequel, then we'll see a retcon of some sort, no matter how ridiculous it will be, but GF is no stranger to retconning the series either.

I still find it funny they decided to make a character in game say Fairy Type was only just discovered. Only for it to need to be retconned because... i mean, clearly not if PLA means anything.
same thing for the steel type. it was just discovered in the gen 2 games, then Magneton was retconned to be steel in all games including the gen 1 remakes that took place 3 years earlier.

GF has never cared about retcons, so it's silly to expect them to keep their lore consistent this time around.

Considering how many Pokémon are being introduced that didn't exist before, retcons are to be expected. Like, people in universe act like these Pokémon were there the whole time. Even though they technically are new. Remember, when moving on to Gen 3, Pokémon went from being newly discovered creatures to being creatures that were there from the beginning.

I'm a bit of late addressing this, but... It's entirely possible.

Xatu is, if we take the Dex descriptions at face value, capable of seeing both past and future. Would fit a clairvoyant type character like a glove.

Honestly it could be a neat idea getting a dual past/future setting, a la Assassin's Creed.

Considering how many Pokémon are being introduced that didn't exist before, retcons are to be expected.
I mean, to be fair that one isn't a retcon, it's as simple as "These pokemon simply didnt happen to live in any reigon you visited before" at least ever since they got rid of the Pokemon being new plotline.

Back
Top Bottom