• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t be only one who is glad that it seems like PLA’s catching system isn’t in (altho they made it seem like the catching animation and progress way quicker which is good), right?

It’s not exactly the most accessible for visually impaired players like me and my partner, and made catching certain Pokémon way more difficult for us, I’d rather do it in a traditional way.
Agreed- and even more simply, being able to throw balls at unsuspecting Pokémon and catch them without a battle kind of broke PLA and that was a game designed around that mechanic. People were catching alphas with zero trouble and no battle WAY before they were “supposed” to have anything like that, immediately giving them very high level and strong Pokémon.

Having that in a more classic-styled Pokémon game means it’s 100% broken immediately, unless they were to really lower the catch rate of literally everything AND include a strict level limit.

Also, we need to think about the multiplayer option they revealed. While I do very much hope there are seamless battles in the overworld, I do wonder how that would work with having everything 3 other people are doing also being shown on screen. Are you seeing their battles? Can you join them, meaning if you’re playing with someone mean, can you sabotage them (think of Animal Crossing and how bad that got for many people)?

Or did they decide to have a battle transition so that your character ‘disappears’ from the shared overworld to prevent that kind of stuff. It’s immersion-breaking for sure, but something I could see them deciding to do.

Agreed- and even more simply, being able to throw balls at unsuspecting Pokémon and catch them without a battle kind of broke PLA and that was a game designed around that mechanic. People were catching alphas with zero trouble and no battle WAY before they were “supposed” to have anything like that, immediately giving them very high level and strong Pokémon.

Having that in a more classic-styled Pokémon game means it’s 100% broken immediately, unless they were to really lower the catch rate of literally everything AND include a strict level limit.
That could be adjusted, though, they don't have to use the same system verbatim.

Though I'm surprised that anyone had an easy time catching alphas early. I wasted so many pokeballs trying to catch alphas before I was strong enough to fight them. By the time I could finally catch one without them bursting out of every pokeball or murdering all of my pokemon, my team was already getting close to the same level anyway. At best I'd get one that was maybe a couple levels higher than my strongest was at.

Alpha Parasect especially did not want to go into a ball without a fight when I could not fight it. >=/

That could be adjusted, though, they don't have to use the same system verbatim.

Though I'm surprised that anyone had an easy time catching alphas early. I wasted so many pokeballs trying to catch alphas before I was strong enough to fight them. By the time I could finally catch one without them bursting out of every pokeball or murdering all of my pokemon, my team was already getting close to the same level anyway. At best I'd get one that was maybe a couple levels higher than my strongest was at.

Alpha Parasect especially did not want to go into a ball without a fight when I could not fight it. >=/
I watched a video of RTGame playing PLA and they snuck up behind alphas and hit them in the back, and the stun plus back hit meant they were getting tons of alphas in the first area before even battling one noble. It wasn’t a guaranteed catch, but it was a solid chance and made things way easier than it should be.

I agree they should just seriously adjust the mechanic (a level limit seems necessary to me, otherwise even at like a 2% catch rate, you can catch something insanely high level with no battle and immediately break the game), but the inclusion of multiplayer especially has me thinking these games will have a different system.

You come across a shiny. You start a battle. Someone you’re playing with sees you battling it, they throw a ball, THEY catch it, you’re out of luck. I don’t think anyone wants that scenario.

I watched a video of RTGame playing PLA and they snuck up behind alphas and hit them in the back, and the stun plus back hit meant they were getting tons of alphas in the first area before even battling one noble. It wasn’t a guaranteed catch, but it was a solid chance and made things way easier than it should be.

I agree they should just seriously adjust the mechanic (a level limit seems necessary to me, otherwise even at like a 2% catch rate, you can catch something insanely high level with no battle and immediately break the game), but the inclusion of multiplayer especially has me thinking these games will have a different system.

You come across a shiny. You start a battle. Someone you’re playing with sees you battling it, they throw a ball, THEY catch it, you’re out of luck. I don’t think anyone wants that scenario.
XD Simple solution for that scenario- don't play with shitty friends.

Actually yeah, it should just make some excuse like the pokemon's too fired up to be caught, or not allow you to target or even throw a ball at a pokemon engaged in a fight.

I’m glad to see Venonat is back since it hasn’t been in a dex for ages it seems like.

Its interesting that we can travel the region at our leisure, which means we may not get a regional bird as we have Starly and Fletchling already. If I recall, Rookidee wasn’t even revealed until release day right? So we could wait that long to see if we get one. No regional rodent yet either, which is interesting.

I’m glad to see Venonat is back since it hasn’t been in a dex for ages it seems like.

Its interesting that we can travel the region at our leisure, which means we may not get a regional bird as we have Starly and Fletchling already. If I recall, Rookidee wasn’t even revealed until release day right? So we could wait that long to see if we get one. No regional rodent yet either, which is interesting.
There might still be a regional bird even though the Fledchling and Starly lines are in.

Pokemon 5D is canon! XD
POKEMON GAMES ON MOTORCYCLESSSSS 8D
Professor Turo has no business looking that good.
I unironically uttered 'oh no, he's hot' when I was watching the trailer. xD
pawmi is such obvious plush bait lol you're gonna see a LOT of merch from that guy
I for one welcome our new Pawmi overlords. My Plush hoard shall be fed!!!
=/ I'd be excited about it but I can't bring myself to buy NSO so I doubt I'd get much if any use out of it.
Psh I have NSO (but not that NSO+ bullllshiiiiiiiiip) because a friend of mine bought my first year of it out of the blue because she wanted to play pokemon and visit my animal crossing town lol. I'm still not excited because when multiplayer is a huge deal to be in a first trailer like this it means that npcs are probably not gonna stfu about it and also it'll be important for getting items or something stupid like that.

And since I am an anti-social aspergers adult I have like maybe 2 people I could play with but that would require them to have the games and for me to have the spoons necessary to initiate conversation to ask if they wanna play. it'd be hella awkward to be like 'ayo random probably teen/child online u wan be friend with this 30+ a-dult to play pokemons' "FBI OPEN UP"

Yeah... :confused_emoji:

Psh I have NSO (but not that NSO+ bullllshiiiiiiiiip) because a friend of mine bought my first year of it out of the blue because she wanted to play pokemon and visit my animal crossing town lol. I'm still not excited because when multiplayer is a huge deal to be in a first trailer like this it means that npcs are probably not gonna stfu about it and also it'll be important for getting items or something stupid like that.

And since I am an anti-social aspergers adult I have like maybe 2 people I could play with but that would require them to have the games and for me to have the spoons necessary to initiate conversation to ask if they wanna play. it'd be hella awkward to be like 'ayo random probably teen/child online u wan be friend with this 30+ a-dult to play pokemons' "FBI OPEN UP"

Yeah... :confused_emoji:
Yeeeah, I mean I've got friends I could play with online, but I just don't touch my Switch often enough to justify the subscription. And I think even these games I would probably binge for a few weeks and then set it aside to play only every once in a while. Just don't have the energy to use it that much, plus I've got other things to focus on.

Good point! It's not unheard of for us to also have another early route mammal Pokémon, like Lillipup (as GD said) or even Poochyena/Shinx.

Makes me think, if we do have a regional rodent we haven't seen yet, we might still have a regional bird/bug as well. Hypothetically, they could be shown off at the same time sometime in the future. :unsure:

It's not a guarantee, since the regional bug for gen 8 was never revealed before release.

I'd expect us to get a reveal of the regional bird though, it could be either the first stage or the final stage though.

POKEMON GAMES ON MOTORCYCLESSSSS 8D
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! 83

edit for something I thought by chance! XD

Now that I think about it, if hypothetically we are going to have pokemon battles on motorcycles, what would motorcycles look like for pokemon battles?

I mean you know how the motorcycles look for that card game!8P

Last edited:

The real question is if Glameow will be in its first regional Dex outside of Sinnoh >_>

Pretty standard trailer but exciting nonetheless. I was a bit disappointed that the 3 new non-legendary mons revealed were all small and round but upon seeing that they were revealed because they're effectively just Nemona's team, I don't mind as much.

Legendaries look fucking cool man. Honestly reminds me of the gen 3-5 box mascots in that they're just these weird monstrosities that I don't know what to make of. I like that.

I am pretty worried now that we're gonna have 1 major hub but no towns around the region. The last thing I want is a pokemon game that's just mostly open, empty environments. Because most of what we've seen so far has just been nature, I do feel that the region is maybe lacking identity at the moment but I'm sure that'll change once we get more details.

What was up with that crystal mirror/pokeball thing at the very end of the trailer? Definitely teasing something but with absolutely zero context it's hard to tell what it may lead to. I've seen others speculate that maybe the 1000th mon is starting to get teased/hyped, but I personally don't think we're making it to 1000 mons this game. Maybe it's a teaser for whatever the new mechanic is?

Past/future motif seems really neat and I'm hoping the games incorporate a lot of that. I'm assuming gyms in their standard form aren't back but we did see that fire-type stadium looking thing with a racetrack nearby (?) So maybe we get something akin to trials again.
Why would you be worried that there would be no towns? unlike Legends Arceus, this game is set in present times, so there's no reason to assume they aren't in a developed region. We've only seen two trailers so far, and it makes sense they'd focus on showing off the open world, considering this is the first proper open world Pokémon game we've gotten.

I think you can see rooftops of a small town at the 9 second mark of the new trailer on the left.

SWSH also had overpowered Pokemon wandering the overworld, but that never became a problem. Given how open SV will be, they will almost certainly repeat the mechanic of limiting the level of Pokemon you can catch based on how many badges/badge-equivalents you've acquired.

Overworld captures would have only been a positive thing in this game. PLA actually managed to make a tedious part of the game fun and exciting. Even if someone didn't enjoy the mechanic, why rejoice in it's omission when it would have been optional anyway?

My thoughts on this new trailer:
  • The graphics are going in the right direction. Still some aspect to work on like grass and trees but overall it's getting there.
  • The starters have personnalities. We can see it in the trailer with fuecoco and Quaqxly.
  • Pawmi, Lechonk and Smoliv are adorable. There designs are simple and reminds me of the first 3-4 regions where the pokemon designs were more simple in general. Their 3rd renders are a concern for me, pawmi looked awful in the trailer but is so cute on is official artwork.
  • Koraidon and Miraidon are just epic. I think the best nickname for Miraidon would be Trunks in reference of mirai Trunks from Dragonball
  • Following pokemon is back! If they add the system from legend where you can send them all at the same time and just chill and take pictures, it can be really amazing. Just add more interection between our pokemons and we have a bangers.
  • The online co-op is for me one of the best feature they could have add. Therefore, it will depends on how it is executed. If we can do all the adventure together, fight each others like rivals, share items and trade pokemons anytime we want it would be perfectly implemented. The only thing I dont want is another let's go type of co-op where first it's only couch co-op,secondly there's no interection between our characters and thirdly we can destroy every trainers by beeing overnumbered against them. Poor youngster Joey with is Rattata .
  • The professors are clear indications of the past vs future theme .
  • I have some concerns about the fact that we haven't really seen any cities except for the one in the first trailer. I really hope that the game is not just an inslanely big wild area, It would be a big disapoitment.

Next trailer i'm hoping we'll see the map of the region,we'll know the name of the region. I would like to see some regional variants and have a clear indication of the version difference.

It's not a guarantee, since the regional bug for gen 8 was never revealed before release.

I'd expect us to get a reveal of the regional bird though, it could be either the first stage or the final stage though.
Your post unlocked a memory of me reading reviews for SwSh that praised the game for having new, never-shown Pokémon appearing every route starting with Route 1 and what was revealed upon game release day to be Rookidee (and maybe Skwovet too?).

I remember MULTIPLE reviews of the game praising this discovery aspect due to Pokémon being left unrevealed during the marketing cycle. All that plus this trailer specifically showing off Nemona’s team and not ANY classic early Pokémon (the bug, the bird, the rodent) makes me think we’re in for a purposeful repeat of that aspect of the SwSh marketing cycle.

Especially with a big theme for these games being “exploration” I think.

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying how they've been going for simpler designs for early stage Pokemon, using strong shapes to define them instead of detailing. That's some good character design principles right there, it's no wonder so many people have been liking them.

for what it's worth, the second SwSh trailer only showed off Gossifleur, Eldegoss, Wooloo, Drednaw, Corviknight, and the box legendaries. this trailer is pretty on par with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom