• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just don't think a 3rd version would work. So I'm expecting... sequels? I can't think of it being anything besides sequels, really. It's too soon for DP remakes.

The last few games they've tried to surprise us (no Grey but instead sequels, no Z instead Gen 7) so this is a likely scenario. I think they want to be a bit more unpredictable.

I think the ideas people have shared about something in Kanto isn't particularly crazy since it has potential to not only follow on from SM (with Lillie going to Kanto) but also be something unexpected than another trip in Alola. So it kills two birds with one stone if they want it to.

(Though maybe this is the wrong thread for this talk :b)

I admit, it's technically possible for things to go either way... but.

This definitely lessens (in my mind) the possibility of Stars on the Switch existing. I was a full throttle member of those who fully believed in the Switch Stars "leak." I thought it was absolute. I denied that the 3DS was viable anymore since the Switch came out. I thought the 3DS was being winded down. But with the announcement of the N2DSXL, I gotta say... they're really pushing new life into the XDS family. And like, it's not even dying. It's alive and well, in its prime.

The only issue I see at this point is that SM appeared to max out the 3DS' capabilities. I have a New 3DS and it still chugs and lags sometimes. But honestly, they just need to do some programming magic. I'm sure they can. There's gotta be some way to make it run better and smoother. Right? I'd hate to see them release another game on XDS with tech issues again. Optimize it for New 3DS/2DS, GF!

IMO, I think the next pokemon game should be on New 3DS/2DS Xl, because I don't think consider of releasing a pokemon game to Switch, The Switch is Console/Handheld game, It would take a year or two to develop a pokemon to switch, not to mention, they starting to hire character modeler, motion designer, and programmers who have experience with PS Vita and Wii U. They wou;dn't just release a pokemon game for switch already, because eurogamer put this out, just to get everyone hype on how pokemon would look like on Switch. Plus Switch is expensive for kids to buy just to play pokemon, also GF never done a main series game on a console since switch is a handheld/console (not spin-off game like pokemon colosseum)

As for New 2DS XL, I think they wanted to cut 3D out, because 3D cause a lot of problems with children eyes and giving them headaches, which is the reason why 3D was disabled in Sun/Moon. Since New 2DS XL was announced, I don't think they'll discontinued the 3ds era in 2018, maybe they'll continue on doing pokemon for 3ds/2ds. Switch on the other hand, is maybe for Main line, maybe we'll see Pokemon Game for Switch in 2018 or 2019.

I guess we don't have information on whether the New 2DS XL will have the same engines as 2DS/ 3DS, etc.
It could be the same engine with New 3DS, which is slightly better than the original 3DS.

But after Nintendo announcing they intend to sell almost as many 3DS family consoles as this year, and and announcing the 2DS XL a day later, it is clear that they need something big to sell those consoles. Literally the same argument people were using for Stars (it needs to sell Switches)
new consoles sell better than old ones. Nintendo wants to push 3DS units so they drop the 2DS XL, which is an entry+ unit. dropping the 2DS right now for a game that'd probably come out by the end of the year makes no sense, especially since they have already done a fairly synced release in the past (the OG 2DS and XY came out together if not on the same block).
This definitely lessens (in my mind) the possibility of Stars on the Switch existing. I was a full throttle member of those who fully believed in the Switch Stars "leak." I thought it was absolute. I denied that the 3DS was viable anymore since the Switch came out. I thought the 3DS was being winded down. But with the announcement of the N2DSXL, I gotta say... they're really pushing new life into the XDS family. And like, it's not even dying. It's alive and well, in its prime.
the Wii Mini was released after the Wii U came out. it is not uncommon at all for manufacturers to release a new line in the family before the console line is finished.
Optimize it for New 3DS/2DS, GF!
it already is. of course they won't do a N3DS/2DS exclusive because that would be silly.

ultimately the release of the 2DS XL neither proves nor disproves anything.

it already is. of course they won't do a N3DS/2DS exclusive because that would be silly.

ultimately the release of the 2DS XL neither proves nor disproves anything.
How would it be silly, In Sun/Moon, it worked better on a New 3DS XL, but people who have Old 3ds, the gameplay was running a little slow

Nintendo´s projection sales for the next financial year, clearly suggest they need a game that will be a console seller. We know that game is Pokemon. This, combined with today´s announcement of the 2DS, makes Eurogamer´s Stars leak very unlikely. Not totally debunked, just very unlikely.

Also, I didn´t intend to sound like an asshole earlier when I talked about people being in denial. But hey, Stars supporters were saying the exact same things about "being in denial" to us (the people who want Gen VII to finish on the console where it began, the 3DS) and nobody ever warned them not to do it...

Last edited:
Nintendo´s projection sales for the next financial year, clearly suggest they need a game that will be a console seller. We know that game is Pokemon. This, combined with today´s announcement of the 2DS, makes Eurogamer´s Stars leak very unlikely. Not totally debunked, just very unlikely.
It would be better If they develop pokemon main series game on switch, rather than third game to be switch exclusive, It might take a a year or two to develop a game on switch, and it wouldn't make since to put third game on switch, because sun/moon was on 3ds.

It would be better If they develop pokemon main series game on switch, rather than third game to be switch exclusive, It might take a a year or two to develop a game on switch, and it wouldn't make since to put third game on switch, because sun/moon was on 3ds.
Exactly. It makes sesnse to finish Gen VII where you started it, and where all your Pokemon install base already is.

unless their projections are conservative and just say "we're going to keep selling how much we've been selling." or their projections are wrong. or their projections are going to be buoyed by the release of the New 2DS, which will sell decently regardless of whether or not it gets new games to support it (though its release coincides with the Pikmin and Miitopia's so). i think you'll find that not everything revolves around Pokemon (shocking).
How would it be silly, In Sun/Moon, it worked better on a New 3DS XL, but people who have Old 3ds, the gameplay was running a little slow
# of 3DS/2DS as a whole > # of New 3DS/2DS

the exact same reason we haven't had many New 3DS games nor were there many DSi exclusive games: the benefits of developing exclusively for that console are outweighed by the loss in units sold by making it exclusive.

unless their projections are conservative
Their predictions are the exact opposite of "conservative", they are quite optimistic, meaning they probably have something in mind that you don´t know about.
or their projections are wrong. or their projections are going to be buoyed by the release of the New 2DS, which will sell decently regardless of whether or not it gets new games to support it (though its release coincides with the Pikmin and Miitopia's so).
Again, they probably have planned something that we don´t know about. Yes, Nintendo could be wrong, but it´s more likely that you are wrong, not them.
you'll find that not everything revolves around Pokemon (shocking).
That is just an additional reason to NOT move Pokemon to the Switch in the middle of Gen VII. Leave it where it is, and where its install base is, until the Gen finished...

Let´s stop the discussion. Only time will tell who is right. And it might be very soon, maybe in less than a month. So let´s just wait and see what Nintendo has planned.

Last edited:
We don't know what pokemon is going to be? Is it on 3DS/2DS or Switch? Is it "Stars or DP remake, I'm very hype for Pokemon News, Guess we'll find out in May

Nintendo expecting to sell 40 million 3DS games this fiscal year, compared to last year's 55 million, is not something to scoff at after the DS' software sales were halved following the 3DS' release. It is also notable that the projection for Switch games is 35 million. While the 3DS' install base is obviously much bigger than the Switch's, new software is still required to capitalize on it and the announced games don't exactly scream big hits. The Switch already has the recent Zelda, Mario Kart 8, Arms, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey to make 35 million feasible even without another big exclusive game, and there are any number of Wii U ports Nintendo could be planning for this year. The 3DS needs a big title to compete, as it were, and I haven't seen it yet.

A cross-platform release is a possibility, and one that I am in favor of, but even then they're probably expecting the 3DS version to do better sales-wise.

Zeb said:
I think the ideas people have shared about something in Kanto isn't particularly crazy since it has potential to not only follow on from SM (with Lillie going to Kanto) but also be something unexpected than another trip in Alola. So it kills two birds with one stone if they want it to.
I don't see why it is crazy at all. It would simply be something new, much like B2W2 5 years ago.

The idea of revisiting Alola after just one year isn't even very appealing, I'd say. There is a reason why Crystal is the only third version released a year after its predecessors. Plus, they need to make all 400+ missing Pokemon from SM obtainable for next year's VGC, and I don't see Alola containing 700+ Pokemon all of a sudden.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry, I got the 48 million figure wrong, it's 55. I guess what I was looking at was outdated. :p

I don't see why it is crazy at all. It would simply be something new, much like B2W2 5 years ago.

It fits Game Freak's recent behaviour more than a third version too, going by the past few generations and their attempts to surprise fan expectations.

Plus, they need to make all 400+ missing Pokemon from SM obtainable for next year's VGC, and I don't see Alola containing 700+ Pokemon all of a sudden

This is one of the strongest arguments against Alola for sure.

it already is

Yet, SM still lags and chugs. Framerate lags in battles, sometimes the overworld, text sometimes appears blurry, and load times are a bitch. SM maxed out the 3DS hardware. By the way, I have a *NEW* N3DS and these problems still occur.

So either
1. SM did use the N3DS hardware to its fullest potential (despite the fact that game with higher quality run perfectly smooth, such as the console's Zelda games), in which case I see zero chance of improvement. Adding any new content to the next game would just make these problems worse.

Or
2. They didn't fully optimize for the best performance possible, and desperately need to if they wish to make another game (not to mention an improvement upon SM).

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. If SM was actually the best they can do on 3DS, I'll quite gladly accept a quick move to the Switch. Hell, this is what I've speculated for weeks. But with the 2DS announcement, this has all been shattered. Releasing the new 2DS (along with their optimistic projection) all but confirms Pokemon. I mean that literally--it doesn't prove it, no. But I'll be damned if it isn't the most logical conclusion at this point. It was be a huge conflict to amp up the XDS life at a time when Pokemon is moving to the Switch. It would decrease XDS sales AND decrease Switch/Pokemon sales, compared to their potential.

i think you'll find that not everything revolves around Pokemon (shocking).

Actually, when it comes to Nintendo handhelds, a hell of a lot revolves around Pokemon. Pokemon is consistently the biggest seller on Nintendo handhelds (shocking).

Pokemon holds 3 of the top 5 spots in 3DS game sales (including number 1 and 2). So, yeah. Pokemon is a pretty big chunk. It's important when it comes to Nintendo handhelds. And given Nintendo's optimistic sales projections, there's no way those could be even slightly accurate unless they have something big up their sleeve. And there's at least a 1 in 2 chance it's Pokemon (could also be Mario, or both).

Last edited:
Mario already has two big Switch games this year. If a 3DS game is in the works, it is probably minor.

The biggest upcoming 3DS game that we know of is Dragon Quest XI, which is unlikely to be released outside Japan this year (if ever). It might account for 2-3 million of that 40 million prediction, but that is just one big game.

Last edited:
skipping the bits on optimization since it's pointless discussion given that neither of us know full details.

]Actually, when it comes to Nintendo handhelds, a hell of a lot revolves around Pokemon. Pokemon is consistently the biggest seller on Nintendo handhelds

Pokemon holds 3 of the top 5 spots in 3DS game sales (including number 1 and 2). So, yeah. Pokemon is a pretty big chunk. It's important when it comes to Nintendo handhelds. And given Nintendo's optimistic sales projections, there's no way those could be even slightly accurate unless they have something big up their sleeve. And there's at least a 1 in 2 chance it's Pokemon (could also be Mario, or both).
consider: Company says it's going to sell 100 units. these 100 units are made up of five sub-units that all count towards the primary units sales. in a weird totally fake scenario, each sub-unit has to sell 20 to meet companies expectations. later it still says it's going to sell 100 units but introduces a sixth sub-unit into the mix; now the sub-units only have to sell around 17 each. barring specific quantities of units, this should be an obvious metaphor for DS sales. now consider that the New 2DS is completely brand new hardware and, combined with it coming with Pikmin, Dragon Quest, and Miitopia, it doesn't seem completely unreasonable for Nintendo to expect the same amount of sales with a sixth factor coming in. granted, i don't know the projections so i don't know if they've stayed the same for the past five years or if they increased it last year because (maybe) big games like Pokemon or what, but especially if it's identical to last year's number, it doesn't facilitate anything all that ~special~ coming out.

that being said the only people i've seen that have argued that the New 2DS means anything for Pokemon are.... Pokemon fans, Pokemon fans that have heard of the Stars rumor and want it to be false, and Pokemon fans that (regardless of the Stars rumor) don't want it to leave for a console like the Switch. literally no one is out here saying New 2DS? must mean Pokemon's coming out with another game. (also PSA the New Nintendo 3DS came without Pokemon as well; the only Nintendo to come in hot with Pokemon was the OG 2DS.)

and as i've said at least three times in this thread: the release of the 2DS XL neither proves nor disproves anything regarding a Pokemon game on the Switch, Stars, specifically.

Back
Top Bottom