• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Sun And Moon : Aloha Alola!

Status
Not open for further replies.

csrdevil

Reaction score
Salutes’ Pokefans around the world!

How have you been? More importantly have you been watching the greatest anime show on Earth regularly? Or have you got really good excuses not to?

Fear not! Keep reading for up to date information on Pokemon as we discuss the conclusion of the Kalos chronicles and shed light on the impending arrival of the exciting Sun and Moon series.

Now while I say I will discuss the “Kalos eclipse”, my primary focus will be on the Sun and Moon series, the popular Pokemon N3DS game which is set to come alive in the small screen later this winter. But before I begin however, I would like to clarify a few things! So bear with me for a second.

Disclaimer: Dear valued readers, this post has been tailored explicitly for those who have watched the Japanese subs and have already devoured the RAW episodes of the immensely popular Pokemon XY and Z series. They will know that the season is perhaps another episode away from drawing a conclusion (if it isn’t over already) and are also privy to the teaser trailer of Pokemon Sun & Moon which aired right before the latest episode of XY & Z ended. So to those who are up to date please don’t spoil the fun for others! And also to my English Dub readers, I suggest you abandon reading straight away or continue at your own risk!

Also some of the statements made about the Sun and Moon region have been largely deduced from its N3DS video game adaptation of course, along with the teaser trailer which aired right after the last RAW episode of Pokemon XY & Z.

So now that all the boring stuff is out of the way, without further ado, Pokeball go!

The Kalos Saga Fades With A Whimper

While it does have pros on cons, if the Kalos Chronicles are analysed from a neutral perspective, it is inevitable that the conclusion drawn would be a negative one. So I am going outright and saying it. Kalos was ‘average’.

Now don’t get me wrong, it has done well sporadically. Kalos has successfully preserved the developer’s reputation of consistently churning out an entire generation of fresh, new and diverse Pokemon every time to inaugurate a new series. But it is at plot lines, story making and creativity where the developers lack and it has been the case ever since Sinnoh drew to a close. And before you raise eyebrows, and shout the words “Mega Evolutuion” at me, dear readers I would like to tell you that I set my standards and expectations quite high especially since I have been watching this show for nearly 14 years have had the pleasure of going through regions like Johto and Sinnoh and survive the excruciating pain of watching the Unova chronicles. So yeah I am going to be disappointed because I’ve seen better than the joke of a plot people so lovingly refer to as “Mega Evolution”.

It was a bit of a parting of the traditions as the usual theatricalities and side stories involving legendary Pokemon, are usually concluded before our hero Ash Ketchum participates in an end-of-the-year Pokemon League. They swapped the roles this time instead, finally drawing an end to the Zygarde saga which was honestly turning out to be a bit of a drag. And after precisely 157 episodes (total Kalos region episodes) of waiting, we only got a 2 min and 31 second glimpse of Zygarde’s 100% forme, which was a terrible shame. Forget Zygarde, the ending provided as much excitement as learning you’ve won $20 in a lottery. It was a hash of poor settings, theme, bad character introductions and timings (all 8 gym leaders? really?) culminating in the disappointment of Zygarde’s limited screen on time, which is nothing short of a betrayal considering how Zygarde was the tagline of the entire series throughout. The ending might have actually ended up pleasing fans of Cardcaptor Sakura more than Pokemon.

And of course the Kalos league itself was bitterly disappointing as well. While it proved to be the first Pokemon league tournament where Ash made it to the final and came within a whisker of covering himself in glory, his performances and the Pokemon battles in general lacked “depth”. Meaning no last minute escapes, no insane out of the box thinking, Pokemon dropping like stones one day and on the other they can withstand the apocalypse. Hey would you look at that! Now that I mention it the battles also lacked consistency. Shocker.

And whatever was already present there was grossly mediocre again. Just refer to the Johto and Sinnoh leagues if you don’t know what I mean. I mean for instance if memory serves, was there ever a Pokemon league where Ash’s opening round match, his first match was not shown properly in the anime? Because it actually happened in Kalos and I hated every minute of it. In fact his preliminary qualifies where completely ignored as the developers seemed more interested in Tierno, Sawyer and Alan’s battles for some reason. The developers were clearly hell bent on getting to Ash and Saywer’s battle and finishing off the Kalos league as quickly as possible. In truth they tried to cram everything in there (because they must’ve realised they are behind schedule for the release of Sun and Moon) and in the end, it all crashed, burned and fell apart like a house of cards.

The Alola Region: Breath of Fresh Air Or Just The Orange Islands In Disguise?

I was literally salivating after getting a glimpse at the upcoming Sun and Moon series. While I have my quibbles with it, which I will discuss shortly, I am a Pokemon fan after all and I love it, can’t get enough of it and certainly can’t wait till when Alola makes its debut.

So I decided to list some of my initial impressions of it. I’d like to share what I liked and what I didn’t like about the new look anime, after watching the trailer of course and reading up on the N3DS game.

1. The Animations (in the anime of course)
There were subtle differences in the news character animations, but they brought about drastic changes nonetheless, in terms of how the characters appear at first glance anyway. For one Ash Ketchum looks even younger (if that is still possible). In fact both he and Pikachu bear a striking resemblance to their original adaptations i.e. how they looked like in the first Pokemon series. While adding Hawaiian shorts to Ash’s attire this time around leaves a bad taste in the mouth, understandably it was done so that his appearance is compliant with Alola’s unique ambiance.

Moving on, I have nothing to discuss about the new characters (Lillie for example) I caught a glimpse of, since they are yet to be introduced and developed in the anime. And also because those who have played the game know perhaps know more about them than me.

However one special mention goes out to Samson Oak, who is apparently the distant cousin of the popular Samuel Oak. Samson apparently made an appearance in the video games (serebii.net) and it remains to be seen whether he will be injected into the anime as well. If he is it will be really nice, and a slightly nostalgic touch from the developers. I personally would be really pleased because I quite like the original Oak, and was left bemused when he was frozen out in both Unova and Kalos.

2. 7th Generations And Still Going Strong! Geez. How do they keep doing it?

It seems to be a case of going back to the roots or the developers as older Pokemon from the first and second generations have been reintroduced (an ice/steel type Sandshrew for example). Now the “Alola factor” determines their appearance and even abilities (the new and improved Meowth and Ratatta for instance, boast dark type characteristics in Alola).

However I was left speechless, amazed and impressed again by the sheer quality of the Pokemon-to-be, for the upcoming new Sun and Moon series. Most of us by now are familiar with Magearna and Volcanion of course, but some of the others including the prodigious starters, the intimidating Solgaleo and the illusive Lunala simply left me stunned. With the concept Mega Evolution seemingly benched for now (to my obvious relief and consummate delight!), the stage is set for the new Pokemon. Words are not enough to describe how much I look forward to seeing all of them.

3. The Format

It seems the developers were listening after all. Now I don’t wanna brag but it looks like they might have been reading my article “The Kalos League - Where dreams and Journeys May Or May Not Begin” (link: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/34278-the-kalos-league-where-dreams-and-journeys-may-may-not-end/). While that would be awesome (if they actually read it) it seems that some of the requests and/or information presented in that article have been misinterpreted. For instance while the Alola championships, aka the “Island Challenge”, boasts a completely revamped tournament format, it reeks of spare parts borrowed from the Orange Islands and the Battle frontier. Now before a explain myself let us take a quick look at the mechanics of the Island Challenge. Read the following excerpt from the Pokemon Son and Moon N3DS Wikipedia page,

“The island challenge is a new mechanic introduced in Pokémon Sun and Moon. It is a rite in which players travel through the four islands of Alola with the goal of becoming the strongest Trainer, known as the island challenge champion. In order to complete the island challenge, players must overcome each island's unique trials which may include, but are not limited to, finding items, completing tests of knowledge, and battling with Pokémon.

At the end of each island's trial, the player will have to battle a Totem Pokémon. A Totem Pokémon is much larger than its species normally is and has a special aura that appears to aid it in battle, such as by raising its Defense. Totem Pokémon are battled in SOS Battles, where they summon ally Pokémon to participate alongside them.

The final trial on each island is a Pokémon battle with the Island Kahuna known as the grand trial. Successfully clearing the grand trial gives the player the right to move on to the next island in their challenge, conveying official recognition that the player has cleared all of the island's trials.

Each trial has a Trial Captain who provides guidance to trial-goers. All of the Captains are Trainers who undertook trials in their own island challenge a few years earlier”.

You can see that it completely different to what we’ve been used to for years now, and yet I can’t shake off the feeling that it is just a bit of a mickey mouse tournament designed explicitly so that Ash finally wins something again. I mean Totem Pokemon? An Island Kahuna (cough***cough***gym leader)? A completion of Island “trials” culminating in defeating the “Island Challenge Champion” (the Orange Island champion). Looks pretty straightforward to me. But it also begs the question, is this the future of Pokemon then?

In my article I requested that the current format be revamped only, not abandoned completely. But again, it will be interesting to see how it pans out, whether the quality of battles improve or reach their peak again. That being said I would be infuriated if Ash is reintroduced again as a novice trainer, and not someone who has previously reached the round of 16, quarter finals, semi-final and final respectively of major Pokemon league competitions. Fingers crossed.

4. The Z move

Again I am surprised as it looks increasingly likely that they developers have been listening to people, and perhaps did actually read what I wrote on the article mentioned above (again not bragging). I’d tersely asked them to break the “4 moves per Pokemon” mould and it seems that they have complied. Only not quite the way I actually envisaged it. In fact their version is quite worse than the one I mapped out in my article and I am not looking forward to it.

First of all it is just another glorified title for the notoriously popular Mega evolution. I say “notorious” but some Pokemon fans have come to worships this hoodoo and have seemingly forgotten the way a Pokemon can be trained and nurtured to become as powerful as they can be.

The concept of “stones” have been seemingly plucked up from Kalos and replanted onto Alola under the guise of the “Z move”, only this time one needs a bloody ring and a crystal along with the usual mumbo jumbo. Again while it “expands” the abilities of a Pokemon, it is a far cry from what I’d been craving for. It is certainly a deviation from the norm, but not the revolution I was expecting. So yeah again, I am still left wanting more. But those who played the game seem to thinks it’s great, so you judge. Read the following excerpt (bubapedia.bulbagarden.net) on what the Z move is all about,

“A Z-Move is a special type of move in which a Trainer and their Pokémon's wishes combine to unleash an attack comprising the full power of both. These moves are very powerful, but they can only be used once per battle.

There are two different kinds of Z-Moves: Z-Moves that power up a move depending on its type and can be used by any Pokémon, and special Z-Moves that can only be used by specific Pokémon. The Z-Move that a Pokémon can perform depends on the Z-Crystal it holds. There are 18 different Z-Crystals that correspond to each of the 18 types, and several others that correspond to specific Pokémon. If a Pokémon is holding a Z-Crystal corresponding to one of the types, then it must also know a move of that type in order to perform that Z-Move.

A Z-Ring is also required in order to perform Z-Moves. A Pokémon can only use a Z-Move if its Trainer is wearing a Z-Ring with a Z-Crystal set in it that matches the Z-Crystal the Pokémon holds.”

It is of course difficult to criticize or commend something which hasn’t even been born yet, but because I have been through thick and thin with this show, I think I am entitled to be a little sceptical every time the anime opens a new chapter. But there is no doubt I will also be as excited and impatient as I was when I sat to watch down the show for the first time in my life. Hopefully the Sun and Moon will prove to be the spark which lights up the Pokemon world again, when it eventually hits our TV screens later this year. Can’t wait.

Thanks for reading. Till next time.

I love the word Aloha and I love the place Alola
I really looking for this season specialy after seeing that Ash face and the three cute girl Lana, the blonde hair girl with white dress, and the girl with green hair
nice new nickname (nnnn or 4n) for Aloha Alola

Ash regressing could still happen as BW prove that it can. Hopefully it is not the case this time.

Ash regressing could still happen as BW prove that it can. Hopefully it is not the case this time.
Friend, that is exactly what might end up happening. Anybody notice just how dopy Ash looks with Hawaiian short on?

Yeah, Kalos ends on a sour note. We had decent battles, but many wrong decisions. And while there are still a couple of XY episodes unannounced it's time to let it go. Now we head off into a new territory where it seems it will be hard to go back. I like having a bigger pool of characters, more comedy and a static setting, but I don't know if it is what the anime truly needed. Time will tell if it has the same spirit as the anime we know or not.

I call Pokemon Sun & Moon: Pokemon's version of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
Yeah, Kalos ends on a sour note. We had decent battles, but many wrong decisions. And while there are still a couple of XY episodes unannounced it's time to let it go. Now we head off into a new territory where it seems it will be hard to go back. I like having a bigger pool of characters, more comedy and a static setting, but I don't know if it is what the anime truly needed. Time will tell if it has the same spirit as the anime we know or not.
Hey man! Hows it going?
I agree with you completely, infact personally I feel like Alola is set to be an epic failure. I just want those stupid stones, crystals or whatever and those voodoo chants dropped. If only they could revert back to the original concept and just focus, focus on the storyline instead and increase the depth and sophistication in Pokemon battles, they can reach the heights of Johto and particularly Sinnoh again. Have you yet seen a battle better than the Sinnoh league quarter final clash between Ash and Paul?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom