• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Pokémon: The Ash Ketchum Chronicles (A Pokémon GK prequel)

Chapter 23: End of a Legend

The sun was bright on the final day of Samuel Oak's life. A group of his closest friends and family had gathered to say their last farewells to the professor.

"Grampa... I promise I'll carry on your legacy," said Gary, giving his grandfather's hand a squeeze.

"Celebi? Celebi, issat you? I'm sorry for all I hadda put you through," the professor slurred.

"He's delirious," said Misty sadly. "He's got n barely an inkling of what's going around him."

"What an awful way to die," said Dawn sadly.

Tracey couldn't hold back his tears. Daisy tried her best to comfort him, but there was little use in that.

"I will follow in Professor Oak's footsteps as well," Barry declared. "The post of Sandgem Town professor has been vacant for too long. It's time I claimed it at last, like Rowan, my mentor, wanted me to."

"How much time is left?" Misty asked.

"The doctors say he probably won't last the hour," said Brock, shaking his head forlornly.

The professor babbled madly. Tears welled up in Ash Ketchum's eyes.

"This isn't fair," he protested. "The professor's too important - too amazing - to die. Especially like this. Why can't he at least die dignified and sane, instead of as a madman?"

The professor stopped talking suddenly.

"Has it happened?" asked Brock. Gary, who had managed to hold back tears this whole time, finally began sobbing.

"Ash," The professor breathed,

Ash rushed over to the bedside. "Professor?" he replied.

"I'm so... so proud of you, son..." Oak wheezed. "You've grown so much since that day nineteen years ago..."

"Thank you, sir," said Ash with a mournful smile.

"Ash," said the professor, opening his eyes for the first time all day and looking deeply into Ash's, "your son... Gary... he will do great things. I am sure of it."

"Thank you, sir," said Ash. "That means a lot to me." A tear fell from his eye and hit the professor's cheek.

"A tear... Ash?" the professor asked with a sly grin. "No, no tears. Don't cry. Where there's life, hope will abound. And the next generation, your children, are full of both yet! My only regret... is that I could not see them off myself."

"Please, professor," Ash begged, tears streaming down his face. "Don't die."

"But I must," Oak said. "All things reach their time, and I have reached mine. Goodbye, my friends. I have had a wonderful life, and I thank that I have had you in it." He paused. "I don't think I shall close my eyes again. I want to look upon you all as my story, at last, reaches its coda."

And with a final look at his friends and family, Professor Samuel Oak breathed his last.

After this, most everyone went their separate ways. Most would not see each other until the next year, during the Team Rocket invasion. And even as Ash Ketchum mourned the passing of his old mentor, he understood that his son's story was beginning. His, for the most part, had run its course.

It was time for Gary to take on Ash's legacy at last.

The End

//////////////////////////////////

Next Time:Pokemon GK: Volume One - Kanto​

Woah. Awesome.... Poor Prof. Oak..... Well everything has its time... R.I.P. Prof. Oak. Can't wait for GK's haitus to end.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom