• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Rate the Last Movie you Watched

Captain America: 8/10

I walked away pleased from a 'good' movie. Hugo Weaving more or less made the movie enjoyable for me, but overall I liked it and will probably see it again.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
9/10
Spoilers ahead.

Very impressed, it gets down (what I believe to be) all the necessary plot points of the book, while putting their fresh spin on things with entertaining action scenes.

Loved every part of the Gringotts scene -- the cart, the dragon, the vault, everything. I was wondering how Harry would know where to find the diadem when he never saw it in film six like he did in the book. Pardon me, my memory is a little rusty, but I don't believe Dumbledore ever told him his theory of the Horcruxes having some relation to Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw either. Poor plot set-up for film seven is one of the reasons I was slightly disappointed with film six's adaptation. But that's another story. I'm glad they managed to get around the issue with the cup and diadem in a fairly believable way.

Dumbledore's backstory was almost entirely cut out, but it's not really relevant to anything else in the film anyway. They hinted at it a bit though, like they did in Part 1 when Auntie's Muriel's talking, I think. McGonagall's duel with Snape was short but still pretty cool. The flooding of the Chamber of Secrets was a nice surprise, though I thought it was extremely sudden how they kissed after.

I really loved the Room of Requirement scene. I don't really know what to say, I just liked everything about it. Same goes for anything regarding the Battle of Hogwarts. The fighting, the shield charms, Neville being badass...wow. It looked spectacular. Snape's memories were handled well. Seeing as there were a lot of quick, incomprehensible flashbacks throughout the film series (like Grindelwald stealing the Elder Wand in Part 1, that went crazily fast) I was worried the memories would be short and the viewer would be given little time to process the important new information. King's Cross scene was done well too, I liked the misty, clean effect of everything which gives it a safe feeling. Baby Voldy looked like he was covered in barbecue sauce.

My biggest disappointment was the Harry finishing off Voldemort part. I'm glad the Elder Wand-belonging-to-whoever stuff was explained off, but I feel it would have been much more effective placed right before Voldemort is killed. It just seems anti-climatic somehow...Like the two are duelling, and dodging each other, and you're holding your breath, and their spells are colliding, and Voldemort just suddenly disintegrates, and it cuts right to the aftermath without ANY word of congratulations or cheering for Harry. Wat. (Speaking of which, there's a lot of disintegrating in this film.) It might not seem like a big deal to most, but I think Harry taunting him before his opponent's end would be much more satisfying.

Harry not repairing his wand was a bit strange. I'll just assume he did it before the Elder Wand-discarding scene. Also, at the epilogue, Hermione didn't look different at all, which was funny.

I know it seems like I've pointed out more negative aspects than positive ones, but believe me, I really think it's well worth seeing, whether you read the books or not. Please excuse any spelling or grammar errors as it's 1 AM where I live.

I watched Analyze This (1999 - Featuring Robert De Niro and Billy Crystal)
Overall, I'd give it an 8/10

I appreciate any move that's humourous to have me laughing at several things in a scene that they have featured in the movie. Despite it having perhaps what could be outdated humour, it's probably why I enjoyed it quite a bit. Being a 90s kid myself and then getting to watch one of the better movies that was made back in the year of '99. Honestly, from the description that was on the Netflix site, I thought I was going to be watching another Anger Management (and honestly, I kind of... was), but after seeing the dates on both movies, I realise that Anger Management with Adam Sandler was probably inspired from Analyze This instead of the other way around. :U I do suggest it to people that were born in the 80s and 90s, and if you're a 2000 kid (which I think this forum doesn't actually have that many of), awesome, and who knows, if you're interested, maybe you'll get a kick out of it, too.

I just watched Avatar by James Cameron. (again). I remember liking it back when it was all hyped up; but now the story seems pretty lacking, and the eye candy the movie provides barely backs it up. Oh well, it was decent enough that maybe I'll go watch a sequel of it if it happens.

Captain America: The First Avenger
This movie managed to hold together everything it needed: awesome action scenes, a great script and pure entertainment value. The whole semi-futuristic technology reminded me of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow in a good way, and Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving couldn't have been better casted. There are, admittedly, parts of the movie that don't quite stand alone without tie-ins to Thor and the upcoming Avengers movie, but as Thor was an excellent film and the Avengers seems to be heading this way, this can be allowed to slide by. Of particular note, I loved their throwbacks to Captain America's classic propaganda look, and the post-credits scene is a real treat for anybody into the Marvel films.

I don't give number ratings, but if you're at all interested I recommend you see it. It was a really fun movie, equal to Marvel's other two excellent films this summer.

Mr. Popper's Penguins
My little brother wanted to see it; that's why I saw it.

Anyways, I'm going to be blunt...I doubt this film will win an Oscar, an Academy Award, or anything like that. It's not that the film is bad, it's just that, it isn't good either. It's a family film...better than a few family films I've seen though.

Okay first off, disregard the story. It makes no freakin' sense; like why does Popper let the zoo take his penguins away because he can't care for them properly, then go charging in to the get them back, merely because of a letter? And why were the penguins kept in the zoo guy's office? Like hell they would! Disregard that, and you have a mildly entertaining film.

The only plus point was that it was cute. It had penguins in, so it was always going to be cute. I've heard conflicting reports about them being real penguins or CGI...but it's impossible that at least some scenes were shot using CGI penguins. There was some hilarious slapstick moments, which even caused me to laugh.

Mr. Popper's assistant gets annoying with her constant alliteration. The fact that she's hot was the only thing stopping me from ripping my head off. Also, for a Jim Carrey movie, Jim wasn't annoying - he came across as more of a douche though.

Overall, I'd give it a 5/10.

Transformes III, The Dark of the Moon

I'd say 9.9/10

The reason I didn't give it the last 0.1 was because they killed off my fav character in a very comical way... which I kinda disliked.

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2
9.5/10

There's two reasons why I give it a 9.5/10. The fact that the aftermath of Voldemort's death/defeat was underwhelming. Unlike in the book, nobody was around to see Harry defeat Voldemort and there was no huge celebration. Lastly the lack of Voldemort's epic NYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHH!!!! scream.

9/10 - Rise of the Planet of the Apes
The effects are good. I really enjoy watching monkeys talking. And I kinda got emotional in some scenes.

Arrietty

Yay! I finally got to see it. My Mum loves Ghibli, as does my older brother, so me, them and my 7 year old brother went down to our local Arts Picture House. While we were expecting dubbed, when we got there we were told they were showing it subtitled - no biggy; my 7 year old brother watched Totoro subbed with no problems.

I'll be honest; despite having a membership with the Arts Picture house, this was the first time I'd been there (Basically at Uni, they wouldn't leave me alone until I'd signed up). I loved the atmosphere, it felt more like a theatre than a cinema (probably why I kept on accidently calling it the Cambridge Arts Theatre - name is kinda similar to Cambridge Arts Picture House xD).

After Tales from Earthsea, I was reluctant at how well a new director will do. Hiromasa Yonebayashi did a damn good job. Like usual with Ghibli, the tone was calm - unlike all these damn action films the kids of today are watching. One thing niggled me though; how Ghibli re-uses character designs: Shō looked a hell of a lot like Prince Arren from Earthsea, and Haru looked a lot like every elderly woman in a Ghibli film. Still, the awesomeness of the film made up for it.

Was I the only one who noticed a subtle nod to Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns in the beginning? When the crow tried to pick up the cat (The Cat Returns) and the colour of the cat (Whisper of the Heart). Being a huge fan of both films, I loved noticing that.

I felt that the film was a bit slow in getting started, but once it did it was beautiful. One thing that was fantastic was seeing this world we take for granted through the eyes of Arrietty - all the intricate little structures and the minor details put into things.

Arrietty was quite a wonderful protagonist and I don't know why; a lot of the characters in this film didn't really feel like they had much personality (Except Pod and Spiller), but they just clicked so well together. I did feel Shō was being a douche when he was telling Arrietty about how borrowers will go extinct though, so that's some personality I guess.

For an antagonist, Haru was pretty tame; that would be the only thing I'd change about the film. However, considering Shō's heart condition, I doubt any high drama scenes would have ended well. In fact...Haru's name is in itself another reference to The Cat Returns maybe?

I'd say Arrietty is definitely one of the better Ghibli movies; and I'm glad it was the first one I saw on the big screen. Personally, I've always found the better movies to be the ones not directed by Miyazaki.

As we were leaving, Mum saw a worker with a bunch of posters and asked if he had any Arrietty posters; they had one, and they sold posters for £5 (all proceeds going to charity). So, that poster is sat next to me now. Tomorrow, Mum's buying a frame and it's going up in the front room.[/i]

8/10

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2

As a keen fan of the books, as well as the movies, I was really eager to see how they would do the final movie and I thought it was really good. I loved the scenes with breaking into Gringotts as the dragon looked realistic, as well as the different creatures that were animated for the battling scenes at Hogwarts. Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort) is an amazing actor and was my favourite performance in the movie. I was slightly disappointed in one of the changes from the books, in that we never see Harry repair his orignal wand with the Elder Wand, but I did prefer his choice of snapping it rather then putting it back into Dumbledore's tomb.

I give it a 9/10.

Bad Teacher 7/10

Don't watch this at home... especially if your family's around.

Armored 7/10

Not my kind of thing but It was a lot better than I expected. Matt Dillon
was as handsome as ever. Slow starter.

Go (1999) - 8/10

Surprisingly good, it really exceded my expectations.
Great dark comedy and just very entertaining.

Skyline, via Netflix. Apart from some cool SFX, this movie sucked.

Snatch - 9/10
Yeah, maybe it's kind of similar to Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, but there are much worse things to be similar to. It's still a wonderfully profane, off-kilter joyride with a kickass soundtrack.

Time Out (L'Emploi du Temps)

Well-acted and understated French drama about a man who loses his job of 11 years, and, rather than admit the truth to his family, goes on long, solitary car journeys for days on end under the guise of still working, a deceit which grows more and more elaborate as the film progresses. As a character study concerning a lost soul striving (and failing) to maintain his sense of self in an increasingly indifferent world, it's very effective, even a little chilling.

8/10

Last edited:
The Help. 7/10

This white girl in Mississippi tries to write a book about life from the view of black maids.

Back
Top Bottom