• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[RBY] - Caterpie-only Challenge: possible?

Neku

Pokémon Breeder
Reaction score
Recently, I've started and completed a Pokémon Blue "No evolution challenge" (you can see that in my signature). While lurking on Youtube, I've seen traces of a Wurmple-only challenge on RSE or a Weedle-only challenge on GSC (although I don't remember well). So I began thinking and I decided to start a RBY Caterpie-only challenge.

First of all, I had to train Caterpie to monstrous levels (~25) in order to beat Brock. I'm sure that at earlier levels IS possible, but that'll require many Potions (and, consequently, a lot of money in order to buy them, something that isn't possible at such an early point of the game). I had some difficulties during the game, and now I'm after the S.S. Anne (and prior to battling Lt. Surge) with a level 45 Caterpie. I'm starting to wonder if this challenge is even possible. I have problems in defeating simple trainers, due to Caterpie's crappy stats, and I take loads of damage from simple Special attacks like Pikachu's Thundershock. I fear that Koga, Blaine or the entire Elite Four will be impossible to defeat (I think that a single Ice Beam from Lorelei's Dewgong is going to kill me, even if I'm at level 80~85).

So, my question is: is this challenge even doable? Any tips? Anyone tried this (or similar) challenges?

Well if your Caterpie can do this, I think you'll be perfectly fine:
neverdoubtthecaterpie.gif

In reality though, I can see Pokemon Tower and Agatha being a nightmare. Maybe instead of Caterpie-only, Put in some other pokemon to help Caterpie? Having a small unevolved bug along with five or so huge monsters seems like a good accomplishment. But if you can do without, go for it.

I really don't think it's even possible. It's stats are horrible and it only knows Tackle and String Shot. I doubt even a lvl 100 Caterpie could beat Koga or Blaine-- if you can even get that far.

Well, I think I'll pass. The only way to get through this is letting Caterpie finish all of its PP and then Struggle himself to death (this way, I could at least damage Agatha's Ghosts). But I think that even at Lv. 100 the little bug will take serious damage from any Gym Leader/Elite Four starting from Koga.

So, any suggestion for a good challenge? I could try GSC/RSE/DP No Evolution Challenge, but I was somewhat disappointed with the RBY one since I thought it was WAAAY more hard. I was thinking about a No Pokémon Center challenge...

Well, I think I'll pass. The only way to get through this is letting Caterpie finish all of its PP and then Struggle himself to death (this way, I could at least damage Agatha's Ghosts). But I think that even at Lv. 100 the little bug will take serious damage from any Gym Leader/Elite Four starting from Koga.

So, any suggestion for a good challenge? I could try GSC/RSE/DP No Evolution Challenge, but I was somewhat disappointed with the RBY one since I thought it was WAAAY more hard. I was thinking about a No Pokémon Center challenge...

I'm not sure a no Pokemon center challenge is even doable because of the fact that you wouldnt have close to enough PP to get through the game.

If you're looking for a Caterpie alternative that can actually deal damage to all types, there's always Male Combee, though I'd imagine Hikers and Bronzors would make the run royally frustrating.

How about a Sunkern or Azuril challenge? Statistically, they're around Caterpie's strength anyway, but they're able to learn more moves and can at least cover a few types for super effective hits.

I'm not sure a no Pokemon center challenge is even doable because of the fact that you wouldnt have close to enough PP to get through the game.

I'm starting to really enjoy the idea of making this challenge. It is, in fact, possible and very funny to do if you plan your moves.

The idea is basically that of having a single (or maybe two) "main" Pokémon, and four or five "filler" companions. These fillers are usually the strongest wild Pokémon found in the current area: you catch them, use them to their fullest (until they faint or finish their PP) and then release them. One perfect example would be the Dugtrio you can catch in Diglett's Cave: you catch it, Dig through all Lt. Surge Gym, and then release it. The main Pokémon (the starter and possibly another strong one) are the ones that will deserve any care, such as TMs or Ethers. You can simply use up their PP of a single move and then replace that move with a TM. To make a stupid example, if you choose Squirtle as the starter it will have probably learned Water Gun around the time you fight Brock. You can simply use all 25 Water Gun's PPs, and than replace Water Gun with the TM12 you find in Mt. Moon- which is, coincidentally, another 25 PPs of Water Gun. When you arrive at Celadon you can just learn Mega Punch or Take Down with the TMs sold at the Dept. Store, use their PP, and then relearn the same move again with the same TM.

If you ask me, it's a very Paul-like way to beat the game, but I think it's a very cool challenge.

I'm starting to really enjoy the idea of making this challenge. It is, in fact, possible and very funny to do if you plan your moves.

The idea is basically that of having a single (or maybe two) "main" Pokémon, and four or five "filler" companions. These fillers are usually the strongest wild Pokémon found in the current area: you catch them, use them to their fullest (until they faint or finish their PP) and then release them. One perfect example would be the Dugtrio you can catch in Diglett's Cave: you catch it, Dig through all Lt. Surge Gym, and then release it. The main Pokémon (the starter and possibly another strong one) are the ones that will deserve any care, such as TMs or Ethers. You can simply use up their PP of a single move and then replace that move with a TM. To make a stupid example, if you choose Squirtle as the starter it will have probably learned Water Gun around the time you fight Brock. You can simply use all 25 Water Gun's PPs, and than replace Water Gun with the TM12 you find in Mt. Moon- which is, coincidentally, another 25 PPs of Water Gun. When you arrive at Celadon you can just learn Mega Punch or Take Down with the TMs sold at the Dept. Store, use their PP, and then relearn the same move again with the same TM.

If you ask me, it's a very Paul-like way to beat the game, but I think it's a very cool challenge.

wow. maybe it is doable. but if you do end up doing it, I would love to see it because it sounds tough, and it's pretty unique too.

Yeah, that sounds pretty cool. Chansey/Blissey would be a good Pokemon to have because it can heal itself and others with Softboiled.

If you find something that can't hurt Caterpie much in a Gym/the Elite 4, you can always use craptons of X-Attacks and X-Defends and so forth to actually be able to deal damage. Except against Agatha's ghosts.

You could always use the Missingno glitch to get lots of stat-enchancing items/money.
Also for Agatha, I'd try to have all PP wasted before her. Use the previous glitch to get loads of potions and use them instead of Pokemon Centers. Then just use an elixir on tackle or something after beating her.

You could probably beat blaine at a high enough level.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom