• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Remakes or Originals?

Do you prefer remade Pokemon games or original games

• I prefer the original games

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I prefer remakes of Pokemon games

Votes: 34 81.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Refer To Profile
Here's a question I'm interested in seeing everyone's feed back on.

Do you prefer Remade Pokemon games such as FRLG or the originals like Red and Blue?

Some may prefer the classic older games while some appreciate the games remade and updated with new graphics and features from the games of the generation the remakes are in.

As for me, I really enjoy seeing the games remade. The old games are classic, but I feel when they are remade, they get new life and people enjoy being able to play a remade game with updated graphics and features with more new Pokemon included, so I enjoy the remakes a bit more.

Coming from someone who has played since Gold and Silver, I prefer the remakes over the originals. The remakes of Red and Blue(FireRed and LeafGreen) updated the Kanto Region to the graphics and game mechanics of Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. The remakes also added new areas(Sevii Islands) and some of the Johto Pokémon in the aftergame, like Skarmory and Heracross. If it weren't for these remakes, I would have never experienced the Kanto Region.

The remakes HeartGold and SoulSilver were nice since they added new areas(Safari Zone) and old areas(Cerulean Cave) that weren't present in the originals. It was also nice that Gamefreak added some of the Crystal plot on the side of the main story. The Sinnoh Battle Frontier was a good addition too, even if I'm not very good with it.

Overall, I think that the remakes are better than the originals. Sure, you may lose some of the nostalgic value when playing one of the remakes, but I think that the pros really outweigh the cons in this situation.

Remakes for sure. Everything post RSE is canon, better on the eyes, and the features are much better. Not to mention the games have been much refined since gen 1.

While all of the new features in the remakes are good for the most part, there's just something about actually playing the originals that is more satisfying. Probably just nostalgia...

I prefer Soul Silver and Heart Gold over the originals. But as weird as this sounds, I would rather play Crystal then SS and HG. but I like RBGY better than FRLG

Definitely remakes. Not only does it update games from previous generations with new features and better graphics (basically better everything), it also does something more than that: making sure that the roots of the game series aren't forgotten, and still alive to cater to the newer folk.

I haven't played FR or LG so I'm not sure about those, but HGSS were a lot better than GSC. There are more Pokemon to catch, more things to do, more and better features, improved graphics. Nostalgia is the only reason someone would prefer the original games over the remakes.

I've played pretty much every gen I - IV pokemon game there is.
I like the remakes a heck of a lot better.
More to do, better looking, more pokemon I like, and wireless multiplayer stuff!

i'm not really one to talk, as i began my poke-life with emerald, but i personally prefer to play remakes. i'm a very colour-oriented person, and the remakes are amazingly colourful, which helps fill this. they also tend to have more things to do, are longer, and generally more refined.

...i really like glitches, though.

The remakes, by far. The games have so much more to offer, the developers could do more with them because of superior hardware, plus remakes of older games always include (or at least a means to access) all the Pokémon that have been released since the original.

I played Crystal to death when it first came out, because that was the cutting edge of Pokémon technology. I have a huge nostalgic attachment to the game; but I'd still rather roam Kanto and Johto with my Flygon hovering along behind me in HeartGold.

HGSS were better than the original GSC, except for the stupid replacement of Kris for Lyra. But FRLG... These two games were terrible, specially the soundtrack. 90% of the remixes sounded awful :| I'd rather play the original games, specially Pokémon Blue. But since there isn't an option that fits my preference, I am not voting.

Kanto games: FR/LG had unnecessary "anti-features" (to say it somehow). The lack of a time mechanic making unable to get Espeon and Umbreon, for example. The mechanic that made a happiness evolution fail if National Dex wasn't obtained is absurd. Despite this, original Gen I games had lots of bugs and glitches, these games weren't developed carefully, so I prefer GBA remakes anyway.

Johto games: For me, Crystal was the best game of the whole series... until HG/SS was released. GF was able to add exactly the features that make use of technological advances and, at the same time, keep the spirit of the original games. Also, Pokéathlon is just AWESOME. The very only drawback is the lack of a place/method to get Leafeon/Glaceon... but still, it's for a 9.999999/10.

So, globally, I prefer remakes.

Remakes have more to offer than the originals - more sidequests, many additional features, and upgraded story plots and enhanced difficulty. HGSS would be a great example, and I prefer it over the original GSC.

As far as content, gameplay, and overall experience are concerned I prefer the remakes. But as far as music is concerned I prefer the original classic 8-bit music :) Remakes are better than the originals but the originals have better music imo.

As much as remakes tend to be improved and add more, I prefer the original games myself.

I prefer the remakes. Canon has been cleaned up, it better fits with the established games. I believe hindsight is our greatest tool, and using it to improve the Pokemon world is quite approriate.

I prefer remakes because they're usually faithful to the originals and they also include new features that make the games more exciting. There's just a nice balance of old and new.

Back
Top Bottom