• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RM13: HD and Denise

The ocean...

• is a frand of min

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • has my brother

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • glows radiantly in the Autumn

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • brings joy to all of the good lawyers

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • smells

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • smells good

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • i don't know what that is

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • ...MAN TAKE ME BY THE HAND TAKE ME TO THE LAND THAT YOU UNDERSTAND

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're also forgetting that, in terms of "sequel" games, Gen IV also had HGSS. IMO, as a "sequel" game, HGSS is much better than BW2, because a) it still adds a whole new region to explore while b) letting you go back and explore the old region, as well. c) You can actually encounter your player character from RBY/FRLG outside of specific events or equipment necessary. It is flat out included as part of the game. d) HGSS add a lot to the Johto games that was missing in the first place, like a Safari Zone and the Celebi event which lets you battle Giovanni.

In contrast, in BW2, Team Plasma, which had been an interesting, if not overexposed, villain in BW, became generic as hell. You only got a few new cities to explore, and outside of some specific event or whatever, you couldn't even interact with the former player character from BW.

As far as BW itself goes, IMO, it felt generic as heck until after the 7th Gym, which was bad because I actually got bored and stopped playing in my first run through right before the 7th Gym.
I'll admit, things picked up quite a bit after the 7th Gym, and I would definitely rank the story in BW to be one of the best stories in a Pokemon game to date.

That said, I, personally, like the Platinum story much better, mostly because it appeals to my scientific background, even with all the fudging that occurs.

I'm also not a fan of games that only have new 'Mon in them, which is a strike against BW, especially when, as mentioned above, a lot of the new Pokemon were, essentially, just "reskins" of older Pokemon.

BW and BW2 are good games. I actually did end up finishing them and playing the aftergame a bit.
The same cannot be said for XY or ORAS, though I am giving AS another try with an all Ludicolo run.

I just think that Platinum has them all outclassed, and I still think that HGSS are the best remakes so far.

Hmmm...
I own 2 copies of Platinum, 1 DS, 2 2DSs, 1 copy each of X, Y, AlphaSapphire, OmegaRuby, and Sun.
I cannot locate my copies of Diamond, Pearl, HeartGold, or SoulSilver, and I gifted my copies of White and Black 2 to my little sister.

I've also got a GameBoy Color, a GameBoy Advanced, 2 GameBoy Advanced with the flip screens, and all the games from RBY to Emerald located somewhere in storage.

Not to mention, several Unova mons are blatantly meant to be outright replacements to older mons anyway. It kind of takes away from the "reboot" thing it appears to go for when you're able to choose from some of the same options regardless, just in a different package. And well if you DON'T like the reboot-feeling BW had then it's just an annoyance.

It's not that the Pokemon are bad, just that several are basically just older Pokemon looking different. Some great Pokemon have come out of Unova, but they could've just introduced the creative new ones, instead of just re-skinning old ones and saying they're new.

Yeah, I get that. I guess I never got bothered by it. I'm one of those "Please no more Kanto-pandering" advocates. And that was the last primary pair of games to... not do that much.

Overall, I have great respect for all the games, and each to their own. Each game has different replay value for each person.

Yeah, I get that. I guess I never got bothered by it. I'm one of those "Please no more Kanto-pandering" advocates.
Oh I completely agree to that philosophy, but there's plenty of other Pokemon they could've chosen beyond Gen I

A perfect game would have an SM story and an ORAS post-game for me. If they let us explore a new region, like HGSS, that would be great.

Also looking forward to a graphics update with the Switch. Give it the Zelda treatment.

Yeah, I get that. I guess I never got bothered by it. I'm one of those "Please no more Kanto-pandering" advocates. And that was the last primary pair of games to... not do that much.
I admit that Kanto Pokémon getting a lot of the Mega Evolutions and all of the Alolan forms is a bit much. On the other hand, I do like that there is a clear appreciation for older Pokémon fans who have been around since RBY, like myself.

Overall, I have great respect for all the games, and each to their own. Each game has different replay value for each person.
This is a good mentality to have. Like I said above, I really don't dislike BW or BW2. In fact, BW is among my favorites.

HGSS are one of my favorite games in the series. It's hard to explain exactly why, they just felt so complete.

BW was... ok. The limited options was annoying and I didn't love the story as much as many people, but BW2 fixed both of those things for me so I'm fine with Gen V overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom