• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RMT: PO Gen V UU

GengarEatBanana

Banana eating Gengar
Reaction score
Hey there, and I'm here to present my Gen V UU team. I wanted to use a method of doing as much damage via different Pokemon and taking out counters before sweeping with a strong physical or special Pokemon.

With this team I got to 288 on the PO ladder (I saved the picture as it's the best I've really done so far, not sure if it's that good, could someone tell me?), and the team seemed quite solid. Certain Pokemon did break through this team if certain counters were already down though, which I'll explain at the end. Now onto the team.

Spr_5b_424_m.png

Anti-Lead ~ CheekyMonkey the Ambipom
Jolly + Technician @ Focus Sash
252 Att/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
- Fake Out
- Double Hit
- Shadow Claw
- Brick Break

This guy is my main Lead. If necessary I might switch him around with another Pokemon which I'll talk about, but in general he's usually first. CheekyMonkey easily outruns most other leads, and the Speed priority over Mienshao lets me Fake Out before him and then Double Hit for the kill. I wasn't sure if Return was better than Double Hit, but the fact Double Hit can break a Substitute and then hit again is nice, and it gets the Technician boost. Shadow Claws and Brick Break offer neutral cover on all the Pokemon that Double Hit wouldn't kill, but I'm not sure if I should replace one with U-Turn. When I did have U-Turn I never really used it in favor of one of the other moves.

My main problem with this guy is the Rhyperior roaming all over the place can easily take a Brick Break (does about 20-25%) and KO or take me down to the 1 HP due to the Sash. Evolite Dusclops is also a problem, but he's a problem for my whole team in general.

Spr_5b_031.png

Entry Hazards ~ Curly the Nidoqueen
Timid + Poison Point @ Leftovers
252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

My T.Spiker and the gal' who sets up those sweet Stealth Rocks, Curly is great. She's pretty fast yet still quite bulky, and guys who try to use Physical attacks on her a lot of the time get Poisoned due to her ability. Fire Blast and Earth Power also cover any Steel or Poison types who try to get in the way, and to frailer Pokemon or Pokemon that get hit Super Effectively it does some damage. Toxic damage helps wear down bulkier foes too for easier KO's. After Poison damage I've seen Curly 2KO an Absol, which although is very frail you have to remember I didn't invest any EV's into her Sp.Attack.

The only real problem that she has is Hitmontop and funnily enough other Nidoqueen (and Nidoking). Most other bulky leads I try not to keep her in on, especially if they're bulky on the special side.

Spr_5b_469.png

Special Sweeper ~ Buzzer the Yanmega
Modest + Speed Boost @ Leftovers
252 Sp.A/ 4 Sp.D/ 252 Spe
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain

This guy is my designated (and best) Special Sweeper. I chose the Modest nature over Timid as I wanted the extra power and felt that after a few turns of Speed Boost it wouldn't matter. The lack of Tinted Lens does suck in some situations though, especially when I meet Evolite Gligar or Dusclops. All in all the extra power Modest brings is worth it in my opinion though. Leftovers is for the added recovery when I stall Protect, and it keeps me from losing health if weather's about.

If I see a Deoxy's.D Lead I'll switch this guy in front, as one Bug Buzz will do severe damage to him and then I can finish him off the next turn. They never attack also, which means I can generally switch into Stealth Rock twice yet still kill him off so he can't set up later.

Spr_5b_171.png

Cleric Statuser? ~ PrettyDanger the Lanturn
Calm + Volt Absorb @ Leftovers
252 HP/ 12 Def/ 248 Sp.Att
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Heal Bell
- Protect

This little lady is a toughie, and my main answer to Evolite Dusclops. I try to burn him with Scald and then Thunderbolt and Protect stall. I find he's quite a good check to Zapdos too unless he has Hidden Power Grass. Volt Absorb over Water Absorb as it's not compatible with Heal Bell, which I think is via XD Move Tutor. Heal Bell is really good too, as it heals Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave (which seems to be everywhere) and Toxic damage. Volt Absorb seems to get a healthy ammount of action too, switching into Galavantula's Thunder for free HP. He's naturally my bulkiest Pokemon along with the next guy, but I feel that his stats could be better. However I need them like they are to do any real damage. Actually PrettyDanger can't touch other Lanturn, but that's only happened once so far.

Spr_5b_378.png

Special Tank ~ IceIceBaby the Regice
Modest + Clear Body @ Leftovers
248 HP/ 8 Def/ 252 Sp.Att
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Bolt
- Explosion

People give Regice a lot of shit, but I've found this guy to be very useful. The BoltBeam combo is always good too, and Flygon can't damage this guy to save his life (well, I haven't run into any carrying Stone Edge, so he's my general counter). Along with that having over 400 Sp.Defence with no investment is very good. His average Defence is somewhat compensated by the HP EV's I guess, so he can take a hit from that side as well. Thunder Wave is great, and cripples some counters. Explosion sucks to be honest, GameFreak really nerfed it. Any suggestions for a replacement move?

Pawniard has been a problem for this guy though, and V-Create Victini scares the living daylights out of him. The lack of reliable recovery is very annoying as well.

Spr_5b_244.png

Physical Sweeper ~ BlitzmanDan the Entei
Adamant + Pressure @ Life Orb
252 Att/ 4 Sp.Att/ 252 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power Grass

Flare Blitz is powerful! That's what I've learnt. Coming off that Attack stat it deals a ridiculous ammount of damage, even to Physical Counters like Dusclops and others, even Stallrein. With a Life Orb ExtremeSpeed is very powerful too, and a reliable priority move. Stone Edge is good if it hits. I have to say I had my doubts about Hidden Power Grass, but even though it's a Special move it never fails to OHKO Quagsire and Gastrodon, and has proved quite reliable when need be. A Sp.Attack stat of 194 isn't too bad if you have Super Effective coverage after all. The one problem I have with Entei is that he burns himself out too quickly, Recoil and Life Orb take a toll on the guy, not including Stealth Rock and to a lesser extent Spikes and Poison.

The main Pokemon/types of teams that have annoyed/destroyed this team are:

Ludicolo - In the rain he becomes nigh-unstoppable if Yanmega is already dead. Regice is ok against him too, and Ambipom if he can get off a Fake Out and Double Hit.

Hail - Not too much of a problem if I can handle the Pokemon, however an Abomasnow + Slowking combo destroyed this team once. Stallrein is annoying if it's not Poisoned and behind a Substitute but if it isn't Entei's Stone Edge should kill it.

Evolite Dusclops and Gligar - These two are problematic, and the latter will destroy my team if Regice is down. The former can be countered by Lanturn usually, but it is a constant threat to the rest (ot including Entei, Flare Blitz FTW).

A few others include Rock Polish Rhyperior, Calm Mind Suicune, Sword Dance Pawniard and V-Create Victini.

----

So what do you think? Please rate, comment and critique this team, playing off your own knowledge of the UU Pokemon and metagame and the comments I've already made. I don't mind if you criticize, but try and make it at least helpful. Thanks, and please comment!

Also, here is the PO tier list.

Last edited:
Re: PO Gen V UU

u have mentioned mienshao.But is he really uu?

Edit:just realized that u were talking about po tiers..sorry.

Hey there, GengarEatBanana. Your team appears to be decent, but it may perform better with a few changes. I'd suggest replacing your Nidoqueen with a Support Claydol. You lose the ability to set up Toxic Spikes, but you gain the ability to spin away hazards in the process. Rapid Spin is absolutely essential for your team because having Stealth Rock on your side of the field greatly reduces the effectiveness of some of your Pokemon. I'd also suggest replacing Regice with a Leech Seed Shaymin. Shaymin would complete your Fire-Water-Grass core and give you a better way to deal with Pokemon like Duslops and Cresselia. In my experience, I have found that Leech Seed is an effective way to deal with defensive Pokemon who use rest to heal themselves of other status ailments.

Here are the sets for your reference:

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 36 SAtk / 220 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Good luck.

Thanks, I'll try the sets out. Any more advice?

Edit: Got to 54 on the PO ladder with this team. Only problems really were Venasaur and Roserade, both could destroy Claydol and Lanturn and Shaymin couldn't do enough damage to either. Even if Entei and Yanmega were down Ambipom would be able to kill Roserade, but not Venasaur. Claydol has proven to be ok, a bit lacking. However Shaymin is really good.

Last edited:
Claydol isn't the greatest thing ever, but it's pretty much the only viable UU Pokemon other than Donphan that can use both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin.

I was thinking about switching him entirely to a Rapid Spin Hitmontop. I don't usually even get the Rapid Spin off, as a Ghost switches in or I'm threatened by one of the numerous Grass types and have to switch. Thoughts?

I'll ask SharKing to check this as well. He seems to know UU pretty well (or was that RU?)

That's RU, and you might want to do use Foresight + Rapid Spin Hitmontop, unless Claydol explicitly counters a certain pokemon for you.

Really, Foresight? Is it worth a spot over Sucker Punch?

I feel Ambipom suffers from only four move slots badly. I want Taunt but getting rid of either of those two would really cripple him. He's my main Froslass and Mismagius counter.

And Angad, the only Pokemon that he can really counter well is Choice Locked Flygon if they don't use U-Turn. Regice did even better for that role.

It was used fairly often in Fourth Gen UU, mainly because you foresight them on the switch-in, and then you have a guaranteed Rapid Spin.

Hmm, I'm not the best at predicting. What the heck, If I can get to 54 on the PO ladder I can do anything!

I'll definately try it. Do you have a set I could use?

My eyes are wierd :p I accidently saw the HP as Attack. Thanks anyway, I'll try it out.

Any other recommendations.

If you don't use Claydol, you'll lose Stealth Rock unless you decide to change another one of your Pokemon. Stealth Rock is too important to lose, IMO.

In actuality I don't find it too important. I never see Moltres, and I've actually only seen a couple of Yanmega. Both of those Pokemon are still OHKO'd by Entei without Stealth Rock.

Sorry for double posting but this is pretty big.

Spr_5b_237.png

Rapid Spinner ~ Hit-N-Go the Hitmontop
Careful + Intimidate @ Leftovers
252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
- Foresight
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat / High Jump Kick
- Sucker Punch

This is my new Hitmontop set to replace Claydol who replaced Nidoqueen. Not only is he not weak to Ghost types but he's also not weak to Dark types, a massive boost for a team super weak to Pawniard. If he can get a Foresight on the switch off, Mismagius and Spiritomb coming in to burn / set up on him are extremely open, and he should be able to outrun and KO Spiritomb with Close Combat. If Mismagius decides to attack he can Sucker Punch for a KO (hopefully) too.

This set is a Specially Defensive alternative listed at the bottom of the set Angad showed me. It tailors to being bulky on the special side instead of physically, which I need more for handling the UU Ghosts. I wasn't sure if Hi Jump Kick is better than Close Combat though. If it hits, it does slightly more power without the stat drop. If it misses, I may be screwed. Which one should I pick?

Last edited:
Why are you running Technician instead of Intimidate? Technician on Hitmontop is pretty useless if you aren't running any priority moves that actually receive a boost.

Edit: Definitely go with Close Combat > Hi Jump Kick. Your Hitmontop is a support Pokemon, not a sweeper.

Last edited:
You should know that Foresight isn't anything but spinning, it's too unreliable for that.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom