• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ruleset for battles

Type Cup would be a good one to replace the Challenge Cup, since you can't really randomize the Pokémon like that, can you?

So how would the types be chosen for it? Random? Just keep pressing random page on the Pedia until we get a type? Then, like... not use that type until after all the rest have been used, or a few weeks, or something? Whichever?

Small events while the league is going on for those who are interested, with 3-8 players participating in them, and them only being held when interest is sufficient to get at least 3 or 4 people to sign up for a particular cup.

Ooh, I like. ^_^

TTE: assign each type a number and use a randomizer. I personally use http:///www.random.org

As far as the Legendaries go, I see no mention on Zapdos, Moltres or Articuno. Does this mean that they are allowed or have just been forgotten? Or do we no longer consider them as "Legendary"?

They are legendaries, but they're never banned from competive play, because although they're legendary, they're not super strong. Only the super strong legendaries are banned.

I think, we should:
1. Distinguish between the rules that apply during the length of one battle and those that apply during the length of one tournament/season.
2. Distinguish between short tournaments (i.e. less than, say, 5 rounds) and long tournaments/other long-term activities.

Hm, okay Zhen. Should there be seperate threads for each "type" of ruleset? Or should all that discussion take place here?

Well, all here is fine, as long as it's stated what is being discussed. In the case of the proposal in my original post, that was for a short tournament of 4-6 rounds, so that is why the proposal was to publish 6 Pokémon.

Here are my ideas:

SEASON RULES:

* Trainers must document BEFORE battle which Pokemon they are going to use. Maximum "documented" Pokemon is something like 20, and then the trainer is restricted to using those twenty throughout the season. Players can have up to seventeen copies of a Pokémon registered.

(This means I can have a different Pokémon for different situations. Eg; A physical Charizard and a special Charizard. Seventeen is so players can participate in single AND double battles without breaking the species clause. The entire 20 limit is so competitors can look at another player's roster and decide, "Hm, he uses a lot of Water types, so I should pack a Jolteon", similar to sports played today, where teams look at each other's rosters in order to come up with game plans)

(This only applies to standard league battles and the grand tourney. Cups are excluded from this rule.)

* One or both of the battlers must record a play by play record of the entire battle and post them on the forum. This is to catch cheaters.

STANDARD LEAGUE BATTLE/SUPER GRAND TOURNEY RULES:

Battle Style: 3 versus 3 or 4 verus 4, for single and double battle, respectively.

Level: Open Level

Species: The following species are 100% banned:

Mewtwo
Wobbuffet
Lugia
Ho-oh
Wynaut
Latios
Latias
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Deoxys (all forms)
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Darkrai
Arseus

Clauses:
The following clauses are in effect during battle:
- Sleep Clause (Only one Pokémon can alseep at a time.)

- Freeze Clause (Only one Pokémon can frozen at a time.)

- Self Destruct Clause (If a user uses a self KO move that eliminates both teams completely, the user of the move loses.

- Species Clause (In battle, each of the three Pokémon in a party must be unique. Different forms do not count as a seperate Pokémon.)

SMALLER TOURNEY (CUPS) RULES

Battle Style: 3 versus 3 or 4 verus 4, for single and double battle, respectively.

Level: Can be altered depending on the cup.

Species: Can be altered depending on the cup.

Clauses:
The following clauses are in effect during battle:
- Sleep Clause (Only one Pokémon can alseep at a time.)

- Freeze Clause (Only one Pokémon can frozen at a time.)

- Self Destruct Clause (If a user uses a self KO move that eliminates both teams completely, the user of the move loses.

- Species Clause (In battle, each of the three Pokémon in a party must be unique. Different forms do not count as a seperate Pokémon.)

* Trainers must document BEFORE battle which Pokemon they are going to use. Maximum "documented" Pokemon is something like 20, and then the trainer is restricted to using those twenty throughout the season. Players can have up to seventeen copies of a Pokémon registered.

Hmm, I think, the seventeen copy part can be dropped. I mean, for example, if a person registers seventeen Mewtwo only, that would still comply with this rule, yet it would be impossible for them to enter any battle since they don't have three distinct species Pokémon.

Also, you need to specify what "document" means. Species? Moves? Item? Level? EVs? IVs? Nature? Many things that may be of interest.

It's impossible to register ONLY 17 Mewtwo, because only Pokémon that are brought into the Wifi Battle Room thingy are recorded. Therefore so the first team that the player registers would be Mewtwo, Pokémon Y, Pokémon Q and Pokémon X. Then if their roster evantually has 17 Mewtwo, Pokémon Y, and Pokémon X, then every one of their battles will consist of:

One of the 17 Mewtwo
Y or Q
X or Q

Double Battles:

One of the 17 Mewtwo
Y
X
Q

Not all trainers EV train, so I think everything that can be seen via the status screen should be recorded. (Like in football; you can only really "document" what you see)

I think only things that cannot change can be recorded, thus:

Species
Nature

People should be allowed to change their movesets/items at will, and not everyone trains for EVs.

Of course it's impossible. I was just pointing out that the way your rules are phrased can lead to such paradoxes.

And now you bring up another point: do we register all the Pokémon before even the first match? If not, what's the point really? Indeed, the same could be said if the movesets of the registered Pokémon are changed. Players are already allowed to register 20 Pokémon - there should be plenty of flexibility even if the moveset and items are locked in at registration.

Well seventeen is in place to prevent such paradoxes. In combination with species clause, that paradox cannot occur.

Well before, the idea was that after a few battles, one would have documented several Pokémon, and thus other players can look and see what they have so far.... but that's only really useful when all twenty slots are filled.

Perhaps then, players should document all twenty before the league even starts? I just hated the unpredictability factor of Netbattle; you never knew what was coming, and thus you could not prepare as effectively, where as in the games themsevles, you knew what was coming, and could prepare yourself effectively.

I loved in the animé there was a giant database of all trainers in the league, as used by Ash in the Johto League, and I think we should use it.

Last edited:
No, the seventeen clause is simply redundant and conflicts with the species clause under certain circumstances. I suggest removing it entirely to avoid confusion.

I motion that players should document and publish their "pool" of Pokémon as part of the registration procedure. The player need not actually be able to use any legal combination, i.e. the same Pokémon can be registered twice with different held items, moveset, etc. The details to be published are: moveset, held item, ability, nature, gender, any visual variation (i.e. shiny, Unown letter, Deoxys form, east/west Karanakushi, possibly Spinda spots but eh)

Hm, okay. It would cause some confusion, so we'll remove it.

Moveset, held item.... does this mean that in order to change such a thing, a player has to register a different Pokémon? Or can that trainer change them at will?

Register as a different Pokémon. 20 slots should be plenty even with variations on the same "real" Pokémon.

Right I think that we need ONE post summerising the rules for ALL tournements as this would clear up all the issues. I for one am slightly confused as to what rules apply for what comp.. Thanks

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom