• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread

Do you like fakes/leaks season?

• I love it!

Votes: 227 52.2%
  • Yeah

Votes: 81 18.6%
  • Doesn't bother me

Votes: 76 17.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 31 7.1%

• Total voters
Well, XY didn't introduce a new legendary group either. So I don't think it is unlikely. It's just that now we have legendary Pokemon for almost everything and anything, they are keeping them a little on the downlow. But I can see the Tapu's being legendary of some sorts. Makes it even more logical since they play such an important role in the story.

Um are you sure? I listed 6 groups in my post, and this is Gen 7, soooo.. Unless my memory is hazy and we had a gem with two of them.

Um are you sure? I listed 6 groups in my post, and this is Gen 7, soooo.. Unless my memory is hazy and we had a gem with two of them.

Gen V introduced two non-mascot trios. Cobalion/Terrakion/Virizion and Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus. Gen VI did not introduce any other than Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde; XY opted to reuse Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres instead.

That would be too OP simply because Trick Room normally has the lowest priority of any move in the game of -8 priority, meaning it will always go last, and the only way to undo trick room is to use it again or wait till it runs out.

Trick room as an ability would be too OP.

Wonder Room etc wouldn't though IMO

I personally would love an ability that causes the pokemon to use Heal Block on the opponents when switched in. A counter to heal stalling.

An ability that sets gravity could be busted, in terms of negating immunities, increasing accuracy, and preventing certain moves.

Last edited:
Do we get anti terrain tech is the question though.
What do you mean?
I think Sunny Day and Rain Dance don't have anti weather moves, you just use a new weather to change it.
We could get anti terrain abilities or Cloud Nine could add that effect.

What do you mean?
I think Sunny Day and Rain Dance don't have anti weather moves, you just use a new weather to change it.
We could get anti terrain abilities or Cloud Nine could add that effect.

The reason I specifically ask as if they are different is due to 3 things;

One, the number of pokemon capable of learning terrain moves are SIGNIFICANTLY fewer than those able to learn weather moves so fewer pokemon are able to overwrite them

Two, Weather does not cause any move to fail (the exception being primals but fudge them). while yes Fire is weaker in rain, and water weaker in sun etc the moves still work. In terrains certain moves flat out do not work. (Sleep in Electric, Priority in Psychic and Status in general for Misty terrain)

Three, Only alolan pokemon will be available for VGC 2017 which is where most competitive battling will be done so not all pokemon are available from the already small list of pokemon able to learn Terrain moves to overwrite them.

Four (I lied, you get a bonus) the tech needs to be Fast and / or have another function. Cloud nine happens as soon as the pokemon is sent out so its a good tech against rain since it flat out stops it ignoring speed stats. We dont have anything like that for Terrains other than the Terrain generating abilities which will make them centralizing as all hell.

I just hope that we get an ability as a hidden ability for some alolan pokes that can erase terrains upon being sent in, or Cloud Nine will now remove them when sent out. Alternatively if we got a move that did like 60 base power whatever and removed terrain that'd also work. We just currently have "If you can't beat them join them" kinda situation which you saw what happened to 2016 VGC with primals :(((

I just hope that we get an ability as a hidden ability for some alolan pokes that can erase terrains upon being sent in, or Cloud Nine will now remove them when sent out. Alternatively if we got a move that did like 60 base power whatever and removed terrain that'd also work. We just currently have "If you can't beat them join them" kinda situation which you saw what happened to 2016 VGC with primals :(((
I wouldn't necessarily say it's the same scenario because normal terrains will still overwrite the abilities of the Tapu's. So they are closer to Drought and Drizzle and not as good as Desolate Land and Primordial Sea, so they will probably only last 5 turns?
But now that I think about it we don't know for sure.
I would think they would create a cancelling terrain ability first before a move tho.

The reason I specifically ask as if they are different is due to 3 things;

One, the number of pokemon capable of learning terrain moves are SIGNIFICANTLY fewer than those able to learn weather moves so fewer pokemon are able to overwrite them

Two, Weather does not cause any move to fail (the exception being primals but fudge them). while yes Fire is weaker in rain, and water weaker in sun etc the moves still work. In terrains certain moves flat out do not work. (Sleep in Electric, Priority in Psychic and Status in general for Misty terrain)

Three, Only alolan pokemon will be available for VGC 2017 which is where most competitive battling will be done so not all pokemon are available from the already small list of pokemon able to learn Terrain moves to overwrite them.

Four (I lied, you get a bonus) the tech needs to be Fast and / or have another function. Cloud nine happens as soon as the pokemon is sent out so its a good tech against rain since it flat out stops it ignoring speed stats. We dont have anything like that for Terrains other than the Terrain generating abilities which will make them centralizing as all hell.

Well, Electric Terrain and Fairy Terrain don't do anything that Safeguard didn't, and we already know how much Safeguard was tearing up VGC :p. Same goes for the three existing terrain moves actually; I saw very little of them because their effects are so mild. Trust me, I've actively built teams around the terrain moves and always the terrain doesn't truly have that much impact. Psychic terrain, on the other hand, IS going to change this metagame by quite a bit. But, I think it's important to consider priority moves were approaching a position as "dominating" strategy in VGC, or at the very least were very, very prevalent; so psychic terrain as a balance isn't going to centralize the metagame as much as it's going to decentralize it, I predict. Think about Gale Wings, Bullet Punch/Mach Punch on lots of the best mons like Scizor and Metagross, Prankster, and the very popular Fake Out. Sucker Punch punished Psychic sweepers the most, and while I love playing with and against Sucker Punch and consider it a very beneficial impact on the metagame, I'm also really excited to have a powerful counter-tool in Psychic Terrain.

Weather was and likely will continute to be far, far more impactful in VGC matches than terrain moves ever will be. Terrain moves always disappear after five turns, anyway, and don't even have extender items like the Damp Rock/Heat Rock etc (yet).

Although I don't think you compared the two as an example, I'll throw out that Primordial Sea/whatever Drought are wildly out of proportion as a comparison because each literally cancelled out the use of (offensive?) moves of an entire type, whereas the terrain moves only blocked status (and sleep particularly was an easily-abused status anyway) which isn't nearly as destructive to as many sets, and not nearly as demanding to account for when you're building sets/i.e. not as centralizing. Something like Whatever Drought meant you might be at risk running a defensive water type with three status moves and one Water STAB attacking move, whereas even without terrain moves to begin with it's kinda your own fault if you build a set that basically has little to do other than status; it's a very weak set either way.

I love the way it was defined in the trailer too. The field got weird. Made me laugh.

Made me instantly think of Earthbound! It made me fall in love with Psychic Terrain in one second

@Tente

You cannot compare attempting to use Terrain moves and Safeguard to having pokemon that instantly summon them for free, it's entirely different.

Safe guard and Terrains are hardly worth a move slot let alone an entire turn spent using them in 99.9% of cases and while yes they aren't super super powerful in terms of what they prevent I think that they will be too influential in the meta personally

You said they would destabalize the meta and they would certainly however with your example of priority moves and especially prankster...

Why would you ever run a Prankster pokemon if even 20-30% of people are running Tapu Lele, as long as the terrain is in effect the pokemon could literally flat out not use any non attacking moves.

and why would you run Amoongus / Smeargle for sleep if about 20-40% of people are running either Tapu Koko OR Tapu Fini? for the duration of them being there their main use, sleep in the form of spore will simply not be able to be used.

My point is yes you don't NEED to run the pokemon so you should adapt to new pokes and thats the entire meta thing, but I feel with the terrains flat out stopping moves which no weather had done other than primal weather that no one will want to risk using them without some kinda tech they can rely on, and currently it seems the ONLY tech we have AGAINST terrain IS terrain (of a different type)

Last edited:
So am I the only one who seems to not struggle with terrain? I only use offensive moves. I find defensive fairly useless and easily countered personally. I have never struggled with terrain effects. They are irritating at times, but nothing more. Maybe its because I do not believe in battling competitively.

So am I the only one who seems to not struggle with terrain? I only use offensive moves. I find defensive fairly useless and easily countered personally. I have never struggled with terrain effects. They are irritating at times, but nothing more. Maybe its because I do not believe in battling competitively.

Terrain moves were considered a gimmick in gen 6 and saw no use because you had to have a move for them and spend a turn setting them up.

They will be far more powerful when generated through the Tapu's abilities because you don't need to spend a turn setting them up or know the move for that matter meaning you can have 4 moves instead of 3.

Think of it this way, imagine if there was a pokemon with an ability that generated Trick Room, that would be flat out broken. Why? Trick room by itself currently is only balanced because you need to spend time to set it up, it is for the same reasons I am quite cautious about Terrains and how centralizing they could be.

Terrain moves were considered a gimmick in gen 6 and saw no use because you had to have a move for them and spend a turn setting them up.

They will be far more powerful when generated through the Tapu's abilities because you don't need to spend a turn setting them up or know the move for that matter meaning you can have 4 moves instead of 3.

Think of it this way, imagine if there was a pokemon with an ability that generated Trick Room, that would be flat out broken. Why? Trick room by itself currently is only balanced because you need to spend time to set it up, it is for the same reasons I am quite cautious about Terrains and how centralizing they could be.
I have never experienced trick room. I keep my pokemon leveled up too high. All my battled end in about three moves.

Gen V introduced two non-mascot trios. Cobalion/Terrakion/Virizion and Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus. Gen VI did not introduce any other than Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde; XY opted to reuse Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres instead.

Ah kk my mistake. I was thinking musketeers were XY for some reason.

Okay, so I posted a fake leak on 4chan and did everything I could to keep it going. Here's how it eventually ended: The thread's deletion.

This is a little late to post but, this made me laugh due to the fact that everyone thought that Litten would be a Fire/Fighting
tumblr_ob8kqy3Grr1rqjaapo1_500.jpg
But it's Fire/Dark so it's useless now

Probably the only Mega that can use a Z-Move is Rayquaza. Since Z-Moves requires the use of a Z-Crystal as a held item, and a Mega Evolution requires a Mega Stone, there is no way of using both at same time.

Back
Top Bottom