• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP12: Riding the Winds of Change!

I just remembered something. I also liked Jessie's little No Child Left Behind reference near the end of the episode.

Love this little dialogue
Brock: Those attacks did nothing against those cages.
James: Like you.lol.

That's the funniest thing I've heard from the dub in quite some time. :)

Not too sure, but did James call a donut a rice ball. If so, wow that is reverse of what 4Kids did.

I think those were bagels, not donuts. Still, it was refreshing to hear something changed to a rice ball.

When this episode first aired I didn't like it very much, and I didn't like Gligar. I guess at the time I thought he was a little too dumb or something, but that little guy sure does grow on you. :)

Yeah they finally acknowldedged that all Brock does when TR comes is just stand there.

It's episodes with good animations likie this that make me dread that nightmare animator in the nex episode.

Holy Crap! Shimura did this episode!? I couldn't tell, honestly. This is Shimura's best Shinji episode then.

*is too shocked to say anything more.

^ Yeah, this was one of Shimura's best episodes of DP. The Gym battle coming up is still her best imo.

Good episode nonetheless.

And as many others have already said, Gliscor had a great dub voice. I wasn't bothered at all for once.

And as always, low volume on the jap bgm again.
Anyone who counted how many they kept? I don't think it was too many..

This was a good episode. I liked the background music considering it was not 4Kids...although the BGM still needs more of a followable melody. It was still very quiet though, VERY quiet.

and YAY they used the BGM from one of those Mewtwo Japanese movies, the "Flying Pokeball Chaos" track. This is one of my favorites and we haven't heard it in a while! I remember they used this track when Ash was battle the astounding Mandi's Seadra.

Question: was the second to last BGM track (right before the ending string theme) PUSA or Japanese?

This was fairly interesting, plotwise...more so than the previous episode.
I was annoyed at Ash for letting Paul catch the Gliscor instead of Ash catching it. I think Ash should be trying harder to catch Pokemon...rather than waiting for them to come to him.

The animation was great in this episode; especially the energy ball, and the 3D rendering of the building falling down.

Voices:
I have recently watched some older episodes and can now give a fuller review of the voices than usual.

Pretty good. Ash had some VERY Veronica-esque lines. Sarah still needs to work on "Pikachu" and "Thunderbolt." In addition, she sometimes over pronounces words (such as the "t" on the Thunderbolt), and other times slurs words together unnaturally. She is getting very good at the quiet lines, but needs to work on the louder lines.

I still think Bill Rodgers should try to voice Brock more similar to Eric Stuart...I don't think his voice matches what he looks like/his age.

Jessie needs more bite to her voice. Knotz is great at making Jessie sounds sweet, but needs to work on her more aggressive voice.

Zoppi needs to make James sound more goofy. He sounds to serious and bland at the moment. However, the actual voice itself is very good.

I did not like Electabuzz's voice...not sure who voiced him.

Rating: A-

I like Jessie's and james' voices. The only problem is that when they laugh, they're laughing a jolly laugh like they're going to the candy store or something. Even though I wasn't very fond of the original James(jessie sounds basically the same), at least their laugh sounded a bit more evil.

I have to agree with Naix one score. The extended TR BGM was way too low ath the end of the episode. I couldn't even hear it.

It was cute, especially when Gligar kept staying behind and crash landing on Ash. Cuteness! xD

Not too sure, but did James call a donut a rice ball. If so, wow that is reverse of what 4Kids did.
Actually he didn't. If you looked carefully at the food Jessie tosses to Gliscor and the Gligar you can see they were white with a bit of black at the bottom. So they were rice balls just like James said.

And from what Jessie said, Team Rocket left their donuts back at the ally.

Last edited:
Oh, I have to look at it again and see.
In case you still can't see it, here's a shot of that scene:
riceballsnd3.jpg

(It's easier to spot when not animated)

Oh okay. Those riceballs were hard to see. And here I thought james was talking nonesense. Thanks Don.

Well I finally watched the ep and it was pretty well done. I didn't know that all this time I was pronouncing Gliscor wrong. I still don't like the underhanded way Paul caught Gliscor though.

To clear up the donut/riceball thing, Jessie said they left their donuts in the alley, and then tossed them a couple of rice ball, so no mistakes or changes were made on that front.

This episode was good. Yes, Gligar does grow on you. Funny how it kept crashing into Ash-yet his stupid comment of watching where he falls, yeah but Ash you're going right towards it, so...anyway it was still funny.

I didn't notice that part that James said to Brock, but now I see it, it does sound pretty funny cause it's true.

And did Meowth say "Gliscor and Gligor" at one point, when they were running away from them? Sounded like it...

I still loved Paul's grunt in the original when he collided with Electabuzz and Weavile. Couldn't believe how many people were jumping in their seats approving his "pwnage".

Ash's voice I wouldn't say was any better than the last, so it's still at the same level. In some sentences, the tone where his voice was going was getting repetitive, and it was annoying me. But overall, it's ok.

Anyone who counted how many they kept? I don't think it was too many..
Seven.

- Diamond & Pearl battle theme in the cold opening
- The crazy music when Paul was first attacking the Gligar.
- Team Rocket's secret strategy
- The music when Joy and Jenny are luring away the Gligar.
- Team Rocket's motto
- The music from the point where that building collapsed and when it shows Paul on the building acting all cool and shit
- Team Rocket's motto again

Last edited:
*belated review* ^^;

Anyway, I liked this episode. It was pretty good! Not one of my favorite episodes, but still, it was good.

The story was good, and the animation was awesome.

As usual, I also liked the BGM tracks that were kept.

Meh, Sarah seemed average in this episode. I didn't notice much improvement either. She's still mispronouncing "Pikachu" and "Pokemon" (and like poke07 said, Sarah does put an emphasis on the T on "Thunderbolt", which I didn't realize until now). But that doesn't surprise me, given the fact that Sarah does the same thing to "I Choose you", with the YOU part having way too much emphasis. Ugh, I really wish she would work on pronouncing those words, especially "Pikachu"! Anyway, not only has Sarah continued to do bad with the pronunciations, but just like last Saturday's episode - Ash's voice itself sounded dull, boring, bland, and pretty generic overall.

Oh well. On the positive side, Sarah did at least have a few Veronica-ish lines. And I always like it whenever her Ash voice reaches a certain pitch and/or she brings the emotion level up a notch (yay for extra emotion!).

Now, if only Sarah could sound Veronica-ish for an entire episode. That would be awesome!! *waits for that day to come*
Also, I laughed every time Gligar crash-landed on Ash. XD

I've seen pics of Gligar doing something like this in future episodes. Is this simply a running gag of some kind? Or will this be explained in the dub at some point?

By the way, I noticed that everyone was pronouncing Gligar wrong in this episode, compared to how it was pronounced back in "The Superhero Secret". O_O

Personally, I prefer the way it was pronounced back in Johto. And I don't understand why Pokemon USA changed the pronunciation.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom