• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Serena Stay?

Should Serena Stay for Alola?

• Total voters
I love Serena. I want her to stay for soooo many reasons. But there's a couple reasons why I put cant decide.

1. I REALLY want a confession scene. I feel like it would be the best way to close amourshipping. Let's face it, Ash is still too young to have a girlfriend, and while they could continue to drag out the ash-is-oblivious-while-Serena-chases plot, it's gonna get old for both amour shippers and antiamourshippers. One group will get bored and want progress while the other group gets annoyed. So let Serena have a moment where she confesses and let's see Ash's reaction. I feel like this can only happen if Serena is about to leave and she feels like it's her last shot.

And a kiss on the cheek!

2. There's always the possibility that I will like the new girl more. I too am hoping for some kick-butt battler.

That being said...I still really like Serena and the deep friendship she has with Ash. I want them to stay together!

So I'm undecided.

I can understand wanting a confession scene and that might be enough to satisfy fans or to soften the blow of her departure. I think a kiss on the cheek might be hoping for too much. It wouldn't be inappropriate or anything like that, but I don't know if it would really fit with the show or at least with Serena's character. She'd have a hard enough time confessing her feelings, let alone give Ash a kiss on the cheek, so that might be just hoping for too much on both points.

At the very least, I'd want her to come with him to Pallet Town and see him off as he leaves for Alola. Then she can return to Kalos and Palermo.

None of his female companions have been there since May, that would feel like a good place for a suitable resolution too.

That last remark about kissing on the cheek makes me want Serena to leave even more. It is disgusting to hear about kissing on cheeks for a kids show. Why is armorshipping being treated as canon? It is not. Ash and Serena are just going to part on good terms. At least that is how I see it is going to happen.

That last remark about kissing on the cheek makes me want Serena to leave even more. It is disgusting to hear about kissing on cheeks for a kids show. Why is armorshipping being treated as canon? It is not. Ash and Serena are just going to part on good terms. At least that is how I see it is going to happen.

Oh come on, kiss on the cheek scenes happen all the time in kids shows. I'm thinking like, right before she runs away, leaving Ash with a "what he heck just happened?" look on his face.

Oh come on, kiss on the cheek scenes happen all the time in kids shows. I'm thinking like, right before she runs away, leaving Ash with a "what he heck just happened?" look on his face.
I don't want it to happen ever. It is a pointless and disturbing thing that should stay away from kid shows. I have my opinion and you have yours. I am more keen to see a new female companion soon.

How about a compromise, Ash stays in Kalos with Serena and we finally get a new protagonist. Win-win.

On a more serious note, whether it entails Serena continuing to travel with Ash or not, I just want some sort of resolution on the whole crush thing. Otherwise, what was the point?

On the off-chance that she does go to Alola with Ash, I think it'd be interesting if they ended up with a second female traveling companion their age. In one hypothetical scenario, Ash might go to Alola alone at first and meet his new female traveling companion, only for Serena to pull a Brock and show up out of the blue, perhaps regretting her initial decision to stay behind. I dunno, just an idea.

I don't want it to happen ever. It is a pointless and disturbing thing that should stay away from kid shows. I have my opinion and you have yours. I am more keen to see a new female companion soon.

Okay Mr. 1950s

In any case, the Mallow/starter leak "kinda sorta" confirms that she will leave any ways. I think she will have a heartfelt departure that may leave her relationship with Ash on good terms. A cameo would probably happen though just like it did with May/Dawn beforehand, and somewhat satisfy her fans.

Kissing may not be a common thing in kids shows, but I know many kids shows where a simple kiss on the cheek every so often isn't that unheard of. Not to mention this is a show of Japan, where they are less wary of what they show on television than a show being made in North America.

At risk of massive controversy: Serena's fate has been known since the beginning. We've been through this 3 other times now, and all of a sudden, the show doing the teasing ITSELF is going to change that? Above promoting the next gen?

Latias or Latios( I don't remember who exactly) kissed Ash on the cheek. So, chances are there.

Okay Mr. 1950s
I don't appreciate that tone of voice. The whole subject is making me like her less and less. Why couldn't they stick with the personality that the game version had? I would have prefer that version of her.

I don't appreciate that tone of voice. The whole subject is making me like her less and less. Why couldn't they stick with the personality that the game version had? I would have prefer that version of her.
You got really fiesty over someone mentioning a simple kiss to the cheek which is in no way as scandalous as you make it out to be. I'm pretty sure we also don't appreciate your tone of voice :whistle:

You got really fiesty over someone mentioning a simple kiss to the cheek which is in no way as scandalous as you make it out to be. I'm pretty sure we also don't appreciate your tone of voice :whistle:
I don't have a tone of voice. Don't turn this back on me. My opinion on the subject is my opinion. Don't give me attitude please.

I don't have a tone of voice. Don't turn this back on me. My opinion on the subject is my opinion. Don't give me attitude please.
But it REALLY sounds like you have some major tone going on. The command sentences along with the fact that they are short and defensive gives them a negative connotation in my eyes. ;)

Okay calm down guys. You can disagree with someone perfectly fine without being dismissive or talking about their tone. It can get out of hand and I'm already worried about where the conversation is going, so please keep all of that in mind.

Anyway, Serena actually had personality in the video games? Since when? She was just a bland serious rival character with very little to keep her, or Calem for that matter, unique or distinct. They were so bad that they made May/Brendan from the original third generation of games ooze personality by comparison. They were probably even worse than Shauna, Tierno and Trevor were, despite how they were all pretty bland. She really didn't have much personality in the games and considering that she would have a much different role as a traveling companion than she did as a rival, it's no surprised that they changed her.

They were probably even worse than Shauna, Tierno and Trevor were, despite how they were all pretty bland. She really didn't have much personality in the games and considering that she would have a much different role as a traveling companion than she did as a rival, it's no surprised that they changed her.
At least those 3 had some sort of goal in mind when traveling. With Tierno wanting to form a dance group with his Pokemon, Trevor wanting to meet as many Pokemon as possible, and Shauna... .... ... Well, anyway, at least hose 2 had something to them.

Even though in the games it's handled extremely poorly (With Tierno only talking about dancing but there never being anything more to it, and Trevor always having seen less Pokemon than you, so he was a joke), I at least remember that much about them. One of the things I liked about the anime is how they made their "unique character traits" more prominent, with dancing being a part of Tierno's unique battle style, and Trevor being a gigantic nerd. That was fun. I don't remember what drove Game Serena to travel, I only remember that we battle her a few times and that's it.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom