• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

I'm preparing to start my sequel to the Jim trilogy, taking place in Kalos. The main character arrives in Kalos from another region, like Ash, but should they arrive in Vaniville Town or Lumiose City? Would the former even have something like an airport or a harbor for tourist arrival? If I went by the latter, which is more logical for arrival, how would that explain all the backtracking they'd have to do to get to the first towns? Forgive me if I sound naive or ignorant, but I am a frequent victim of writer's block, and I love feedback.

Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Not sure if this is the place to post this kind of message, but I'm preparing to start my sequel to the Jim trilogy, taking place in Kalos. The main character arrives in Kalos from another region, like Ash, but should they arrive in Vaniville Town or Lumiose City? Would the former even have something like an airport or a harbor for tourist arrival? If I went by the latter, which is more logical for arrival, how would that explain all the backtracking they'd have to do to get to the first towns? Forgive me if I sound naive or ignorant, but I am a frequent victim of writer's block, and I love feedback.

Bear in mind that you don't have to do the Gyms in order! According to Pokemon Origins, Gym Leaders choose their Pokemon teams based on how many badges the challenger has, which explains why somebody strong enough to be a Gym Leader in Pewter faces you with only a Geodude and Onix. If you were concerned about beginning in Lumiose City, you could have Clemont as the first Gym Leader with a low-level team like Pikachu and Emolga, then adjust the other Leaders appropriately. Just because Serena starts her journey in Vaniville Town doesn't mean your trainer has to!

Not sure if this is the place to post this kind of message, but I'm preparing to start my sequel to the Jim trilogy, taking place in Kalos. The main character arrives in Kalos from another region, like Ash, but should they arrive in Vaniville Town or Lumiose City? Would the former even have something like an airport or a harbor for tourist arrival? If I went by the latter, which is more logical for arrival, how would that explain all the backtracking they'd have to do to get to the first towns? Forgive me if I sound naive or ignorant, but I am a frequent victim of writer's block, and I love feedback.

Bear in mind that you don't have to do the Gyms in order! <Snipped>

Could you maybe put the X and Y stuff behind spoiler tags? No attack intended, it's just that the game was only released very recently so many people are trying to avoid spoilers for plot-related content and gyms.

I agree though, it would make no sense for trainers to all have to travel to wherever the player starts in most games. The player character starts there because they live there, not because they travelled there on purpose. It seems like travelling in the Pokémon world is an experience of itself so it wouldn't make sense for someone from the other side of the region to travel all the way there to start their adventure. If they did they'd have more experience than someone from the area, and in the games we'd get some indication that the starter town attracts many new trainers, like a bus terminal or something.

Could you maybe put the X and Y stuff behind spoiler tags? No attack intended, it's just that the game was only released very recently so many people are trying to avoid spoilers for plot-related content and gyms.
I would, but like . . . for actual spoilers.

Bear in mind that you don't have to do the Gyms in order! According to Pokemon Origins, Gym Leaders choose their Pokemon teams based on how many badges the challenger has, which explains why somebody strong enough to be a Gym Leader in Pewter faces you with only a Geodude and Onix. If you were concerned about beginning in Lumiose City, you could have Clemont as the first Gym Leader with a low-level team like Pikachu and Emolga, then adjust the other Leaders appropriately. Just because Serena starts her journey in Vaniville Town doesn't mean your trainer has to!

That...makes perfect sense, actually. I haven't seen Origins yet, but I like the sound of that idea. Since Kalos is already an amalgamation of all Gens of Pokemon, I shouldn't be too concerned about sticking to only Gen 6 Pokemon. Thanks! =)

I have totally been using that since 2010. Way to steal ideas from your fans, Game Freak! D:<

Theme-Naming Question.

So, I have a Fic I'm doing and I'm coming up with villains, and the idea I have is a team, similar to Organization XIII from Kingdom Hearts, that goes around stealing Starters and any pokemon related to mega evolution in order to drain their energies, and each notable member uses a specific type, and their names reflect this. I came up with a few, but one I'm stuck on is the Dragon-user. I decided I would name him after the Japanese dragon Yamata No Orochi, but I'm having trouble on whether to use Yamata, Yamato or Yomoto as his first name... I know his last name will be Orocho, but that's it. Could you guys help me, I really want to use this name, but I'm worried I'll piss someone off if I don't use the correct pronunciation...

Is This A Good Idea?

I was just thinking. How about a rewrite of a game, from the Rival's point of view.

e.g: Gen 1: Gary/Blue
Gen 2: Silver or in some cases, eusine
Gen 3: May/Brendan
Etc.

So is this a good idea? I for one would not write this kinda fic, but I reckon its a good idea for some other people!

Re: Is This A Good Idea?

I was just thinking. How about a rewrite of a game, from the Rival's point of view.

Etc.

So is this a good idea? I for one would not write this kinda fic, but I reckon its a good idea for some other people!

The Gen I one has been done: Rival's Story (and quite well)

That's no reason not to do more, though.

I've recently been working a lot with pokemon's ability to affect the terrain. The two types I'm dealing with right now in a large amount are grass/poison and fire/dragon as the main character has a shroomish and charmander ((yeah FF breaks all the rules!)) and some ground and rock types since he's just gotten to a mountain range. anyway just over all I want to start taking advantage of their powers to affect the world. Its a medieval setting, so pokemon are both beasts of burden and destroyers of cities. How might it be best to show this in both bit and small scale.

I would, but like . . . for actual spoilers.

Except you give away who Lumiose's Gym Leader is and his team's type, so...

Re: Is This A Good Idea?

Etc.

The Gen I one has been done: Rival's Story (and quite well)

That's no reason not to do more, though.

Barry's the only one I don't know for sure DOES have one. Well, actually Cheren, Bianca, Hugh, and now Serena (or Calem) don't have one either.

Ooookay so yeah, because it's something I noticed more than once with my writing is that it lacks emotion or feelings more time than not. Would there be any tips on how to improve emotion in writing? Also, fight scenes? I feel that this help might come in handy for NaNoWriMo.
Please and thank you in advance c:

Last edited:

Ooookay so yeah, because it's something I noticed more than once with my writing is that it lacks emotion or feelings more time than not. Would there be any tips on how to improve emotion in writing? Also, fight scenes? I feel that this help might come in handy for NaNoWriMo.
Please and thank you in advance c:

I wrote a decently-long lesson on dialogue a while back that covered a bit on how to write emotion, but the best general advice I can give you is to really think about what happens to people when they are experiencing different emotions. How does an angry person look and sound? A sad person? Now, how do those emotions affect what they say in the context of the scene? Happy people don't whimper or stammer, sad people aren't explosively honest, and angry people aren't reserved or inclined to hold anything back. If you're stuck, try reading your dialogue aloud - if it sounds wrong, it usually is.

If you want more specific help with your particular story, my inbox is always open.

This isn't a question about writing technique as much as it is about a pokémon detail (for fic purposes). I hope it's allowed here, if not, let me know and I'll delete my post.

Are there any grass-type pokémon that could conceivably grow in caves or other dimly-lit places?

This isn't a question about writing technique as much as it is about a pokémon detail (for fic purposes). I hope it's allowed here, if not, let me know and I'll delete my post.

Are there any grass-type pokémon that could conceivably grow in caves or other dimly-lit places?

Yes, this kind of question is exactly what this thread is for.

To start, lots of grass-types that can move obviously wouldn't have to stay in one place so they could conceivably exist in low-light habitats. Other than that, I'd look at lichen or fungus based Pokemon like the Foongus and Paras lines.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom