• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Skarmory Moveset. Gen V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vraell

Reaction score
So, I have this Skarmory that has Outstanding IVs with maxed Attack and Speed, and a plus Speed nature. The kicker (and likely fatal mistake) is that I transferred him to my Black Version before I even discovered this hidden treasure (and discovering all movesets I've seen use Roost), and now I have no way to teach him Roost or Brave Bird. :-|

So, what would be a competitively viable moveset at this point. Skarmory doesn't really learn any powerful STAB moves in Gen V short of Flash Cannon, which is pointless due to the low Sp. Atk, and Fly gives a free turn. It can learn both Agility and Swords Dance, but using two boosting moves means the opponent get's two free turns and losing an additional move. Spikes is a likely candidate since Entry hazard pretty well dominate and that's one of the few moves I've seen, Skarmory can also learn Toxic, but again without Roost, it seems to be lacking. Edit: I have yet to see a moveset that omitted Brave Bird, Stealth Rocks, and Roost.

So, the end question is: Is this Skarmory dead weight now, or can I still get some use of him.

Last edited:
Probably my only chance to ever do anything that could be seen as "mini-modding". This question should probably go in this thread.

Pretty much all of the better Skarmory sets have Roost, and some have Brave Bird, so it looks like it would be difficult for your Skarmory to work effectively, unless you're willing to hack the moves onto it just for the sake of having a competitive Pokémon. I suppose you could run a set on it, but without Roost, it's not really worth it, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Mini-Modding? Like Trade Skarmory over and mod the moveset onto him, then trade back?

If that's not the case, one moveset I had in mind would be sort of a wallbreaker.
Agility/Toxic
Taunt
Spikes/Toxic
Aerial Ace/Steel Wing/Toxic

Swagger may be an option as well, or can force choice/Outrage abusers to swap out with Torment. Steel Wing is just something to try to abuse the Attack stat, but I doubt it will work out well.

Mini-Modding? Like Trade Skarmory over and mod the moveset onto him, then trade back?

If that's not the case, one moveset I had in mind would be sort of a wallbreaker.
Agility/Toxic
Taunt
Spikes/Toxic
Aerial Ace/Steel Wing/Toxic

"Mini-modding" as in doing a moderator's job for them. Forum-related.

That's not really a wallbreaker set. It won't be doing much damage at all with Aerial Ace or Steel Wing, and Toxic would be useless when it comes to Steel-type Pokémon, or, indeed, anything that has a way of healing status conditions (Natural Cure, Clerics, etc). Walled by pretty much any Steel-type, from what I can see, and completely demolished by Heatran.

The only Skarmory sets that achieve steady results are those with defensively-oriented natures and sets; there are way too many Steel-types for Skarmory to run offensive sets in either of the tiers it's allowed in (OU and Ubers). And yes, like Jackspers said, this belongs in Simple Questions.

Of course, there is a part of the mod's job that a minimod could never do: close threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom