• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM012: The Extracurricular Lesson is Hidoide!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously they sent him to Alola without any pokemon? What happened to Carnivine? I think Giovanni is no more pleased with them.
Since Unova, Team Rocket has always left their Pokemon at HQ. The storywriters probably dont enjoy writing release storylines over and over for their Pokemon so they just flatout leave them at HQ before the start of every series to save time.

Since Unova, Team Rocket has always left their Pokemon at HQ. The storywriters probably dont enjoy writing release storylines over and over for their Pokemon so they just flatout leave them at HQ before the start of every series to save time.

Musashi still have Sonansu with her.

Musashi still have Sonansu with her.

Have no idea why Giovanni refuses to let them to take Inkay and others to the Alola region and yet allow Wobbuffet. And no, the native Pokémon doesn't work as an excuse since Wobbuffet is not found in Sun and Moon. I think he should have let Team Rocket take all of their other Pokémon just so they'll have a fighting chance against Ash. Plus James is in need of a Pokémon. Could he at least have Mime Jr. with him?

Have no idea why Giovanni refuses to let them to take Inkay and others to the Alola region and yet allow Wobbuffet. And no, the native Pokémon doesn't work as an excuse since Wobbuffet is not found in Sun and Moon. I think he should have let Team Rocket take all of their other Pokémon just so they'll have a fighting chance against Ash. Plus James is in need of a Pokémon. Could he at least have Mime Jr. with him?
I doubt Mime Jr. is ever going to return. It's been gone for two whole series straight so it doesn't make any sense to bring it back.

It was very clearly their own choice to leave the two behind.

I thought they left their pokemon at HQ because they didn't actually do their job (catch pokemon). Then, to cover for the fact that they caught so little pokemon, they pull the "we were toppling an enemy organization and didn't have time" card.

I thought they left their pokemon at HQ because they didn't actually do their job (catch pokemon). Then, to cover for the fact that they caught so little pokemon, they pull the "we were toppling an enemy organization and didn't have time" card
If that's the case, their pokemon must be busy...
crowds.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought they left their pokemon at HQ because they didn't actually do their job (catch pokemon). Then, to cover for the fact that they caught so little pokemon, they pull the "we were toppling an enemy organization and didn't have time" card.

It was explained in SM003 that they left Maaiika and Pumpjin because they didn't want to draw attention to themselves by having non-native Pokemon... of course, this doesn't explain why Sonans came with them, but by this point it's pretty much with Meowth in regards to its status in the group.

They weren't really clear on why they left their Pokémon at the HQ, from the subs I've seen they say something among the lines "In Alola we have to use Alolan Pokémon" and I also saw one sub in which they say "Sometimes we have to follow the rules", though I don't really know what is the most accurate translation of their explanation.
It is, as many of you pointed, an excuse from the writers to have them capture new Pokémon without having to release their old Pokémon, and the writers are very "good" (?) at doing this because they keep theses things very unclear and vague.
For Unova, yeah, Giovanni refused to send them their old Pokémon because they were working undercover. But then they started working freelance again (after the Meteonite plot) and their old Pokémon were not returned. Afterwards, Pokémon from other regions started to appear and again they did not receive their old Pokémon. After Unova they were forced to leave their Pokémon as their captures for Giovanni from Unova (an excuse different from the first one to have them leave their Pokémon), but then Wobbuffet returned (due to popular demand, I suppose), and it was done very swiftly and again without much explanation, so that the writers wouldn't have to explain why would Giovanni let them take him without taking their Sinnoh ones back. For XY it was a less vague because we indeed see Jessie and James showing Inkay and Pumpkaboo to Giovanni and telling him that they are their captures for him, and then they were indeed left at the HQ (sadly!).
I don't think people are unfair when they call this laziness from the writers, I don't like this either and I would rather have some nice farewell episodes (or have them stay, that would be perfect). However, I think that the writers are aware of how lazy they are when they do this, and do try to give us nice episodes that join character development and the feeling of a "farewell episode", I am thinking obviously of XY054, XY063 and XY082 - nice episodes that emulate release episodes and then develop the bond between the trainers and their Pokémon.

Can you explain this please?
If anything else would have been the case they wouldn't have worded it the way they did. If Giovanni forced them to leave them behind we would have seen it or at least heard about it. Plus there's Wobbuffet. In the end this is the case of what is most logical though, since nothing has been 100% proven of this.

If anything else would have been the case they wouldn't have worded it the way they did.
I think the wording is far too vague to really say this. Based on Kojiro's OTT positivity & Musashi's apparent resignation/the way she so obviously changes the subject I think it is fair to interpret it either way.

In any case, piss poor writing.

I think the wording is far too vague to really say this. Based on Kojiro's OTT positivity & Musashi's apparent resignation/the way she so obviously changes the subject I think it is fair to interpret it either way.

In any case, piss poor writing.
Yeah, it is bad writing, but I still feel like the writers would have given us a little more if they actually wanted us to believe that they were forced to leave them behind, but nothing. It really does seem like they were just left behind cause they wanted to ''do as the Alolans'' and that Wobbuffet is pretty much to Jessie what Pikachu is to Ash at this point. Breaking the fourth wall it's obviously too popular to ever be written off again, especially in Japan. I've never seen the Japanese audience as load as when the trio changed and got rid of their Sinnoh Pokemon.

I can understand Ash being a total goof leaving his Pokemon at Oak's because of having to market the new generation, but I'll never understand why TR as of BW is now forced to also follow this same concept, because it pretty much limits everyone seeing as for 2 straight generations, the Regional Pokedex has been small.

Oh well, Mareanie or Bewear would be a good addition to TR's cast

Here are two new summaries of the episode, which Dephender translated. There are also new images of the episode.

7mSxNOo.png
O71d4W0.png

From the first picture.

While Ash and his friends are enthused about an extracurricular lesson, they get attacked by Team Rocket!

The Pokémon Team Rocket spotted at the beach is...

Team Rocket, who have their sights set on Ash's Pikachu, have come to the Alola region on their boss Giovanni's orders, but have just been idling their days away. But then, as if they were expecting Jessie and the others to slack off like this, HQ calls them to check up on their activities there. Jessie and the others succeed in smoothing things over for the moment, and then, in a fit of panic, decide to aim for getting a new Pokémon. They start by heading to the beach, where they encounter Ash and his friends in the middle of an extracurricular lesson.

Team Rocket go to the beach in search of Pokémon unique to the Alola region. James has come up with the idea of dressing up as a beach Pokémon and approach rare Pokémon like that.

Having overcome Island Kahuna "Hala"'s trial, Ash undergoes an extracurricular lesson together with Rowlet, whom his bond with is deepening. Rowlet appears uneasy, but Ash is fired up to the max.

From the second picture.

The leisurely Team Rocket receive a call from HQ. They ask if things are going well, and while Team Rocket somehow manage to smooth things over, and then go to the beach to get a new Pokémon. However, Ash and his friends have come to a nearby area for an extracurricular lesson...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom