• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM122: You're Being Watched! Rocket-dan's Alola Forms!!

I'm seeing double here! Four Stuffuls!

...Anyway, I feel like an episode like this could've been better. Maybe it was too slow-paced, but I'm not sure.

And while I'm super happy about Matori having a bigger role lately, I think she was demoted from high-rank member to comedy relief grunt too quickly here. I mean in previous episodes the TRio would at least try to behave in front of her, but here they suddenly couldn't care less.

As is usual with Sun&Moon, the Rocket trio episodes continue to be the best this series has to offer. I'm not sure if we've ever gotten an episode quite like this, where a high-ranking Rocket member sees the day-to-day workings of the trio-- oh sure, we've had Yamato and Kosaburo, but no one like Matori keeping an eye on them in person. It will be interesting to see if she has any other prominent role before the series ends.

It was also very sweet to see the way the trio cared for Kiteruguma and their other Pokemon. I might have missed it, but what other reason would the trio have had for not wanting Matori to take Nuikoguma back to Kanto with her?

One small detail I loved was how when Matori discovered Nyarth in the blanket back on her ship an instrumental version of Danka was playing, but as soon as Kiteruguma came into frame the lyrics "We are the indestructable Team Rocket!" started in. It was a great touch.

If nobody got Bewear, then how the f*** will Jessie and James get to Galar.

My theory is that Kiteruguma will, for whatever reason, choose to let the trio leave Alola at the end of the series. Unless, of course, this really is their swan song and they stay in Alola for good :p

As is usual with Sun&Moon, the Rocket trio episodes continue to be the best this series has to offer. I'm not sure if we've ever gotten an episode quite like this, where a high-ranking Rocket member sees the day-to-day workings of the trio-- oh sure, we've had Yamato and Kosaburo, but no one like Matori keeping an eye on them in person. It will be interesting to see if she has any other prominent role before the series ends.

It was also very sweet to see the way the trio cared for Kiteruguma and their other Pokemon. I might have missed it, but what other reason would the trio have had for not wanting Matori to take Nuikoguma back to Kanto with her?

One small detail I loved was how when Matori discovered Nyarth in the blanket back on her ship an instrumental version of Danka was playing, but as soon as Kiteruguma came into frame the lyrics "We are the indestructable Team Rocket!" started in. It was a great touch.

My theory is that Kiteruguma will, for whatever reason, choose to let the trio leave Alola at the end of the series. Unless, of course, this really is their swan song and they stay in Alola for good :p
It’s sad that Team Rocket doesn’t even know what Giovanni wants to do with Pokémon
They think as Pokémon gifts for him as fantasy ideas that’s all
If they learn the truth they will quit I bet

For my part, I have long hated Matori because she had forced the trio to give up their AG / DP pokemon at headquarters at the beginning of BW without proper separation. This episode helped me a little bit to digest this because she was punished for her obstinacy in forcing the trio to give their pokemon to the organization against their will. Thank you so much "Sun and Moon" for making Matori a more interesting character.

For my part, I have long hated Matori because she had forced the trio to give up their AG / DP pokemon at headquarters at the beginning of BW without proper separation. This episode helped me a little bit to digest this because she was punished for her obstinacy in forcing the trio to give their pokemon to the organization against their will. Thank you so much "Sun and Moon" for making Matori a more interesting character.
What u mean

I'm seeing double here! Four Stuffuls!
CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.jpg

TR just lampshaded how many unusual and rare pokemon there is in this random pokemon school, and they didn't even mention Shaymin!
TR barely interacted with twerps, so they had no idea about their Z-Rings/Crystals.
Kiteruguma just crushed TR's communicator. Will there be consequences?

Well if Matori attempts to berate the trio on the lack of success, I'm sure Bewear will sort them straight

Can only imagine Team Rocket arriving back at Headquarters, meeting up with Giovanni and Matori only for Bewear to turn up, Matori's reaction at the end was hilarious

Good thing no one has yet commented on what this episode might forebode for the TRio, so I have a job to do even if I'm late to the party ;)

If Sakaki is really after Kiteruguma, so much so that he's willing to dispatch Matori to go collect her (and there was no hint that Matori made those orders up), isn't he going to ask questions when she comes back empty-handed? She will either tell him the truth, in which case the TRio are in trouble OR she'll do some kind of cover-up to preserve her own self-image, which will nevertheless result in trouble because there's no way she won't then try for vengeance! Plus, Sakaki will still be asking for Kiteruguma!! At the end of the episode, even the gang gave off an air that they were enjoying the peace in the knowledge that it's not likely to last long.

In another series I might say that this premise was just a plot device to set a fun filler up. However SM's internal continuity is arguably the best any of the series' has been. The way this episode ended reeks of consequences to come. The Nanu/Sakaki set-up, introduction of Matori's subgroup in the Necrozma arc and the fact that disaster is probably looming for our TRio after this episode all make a SM Rocket arc of some prominence increasingly likely. This is the first time I'm genuinely concerned that Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu's stories are being drawn to an inevitable conclusion, although I hope I am wrong.

This isn't the best episode ever, or even the best TRio-centric episode this series, but Matsui did us a few solids:
  • Although the highlight of Musashi's intro was the blatant graffiti of Matori's image, it was also notable that Kasumi and Takeshi were also shown as a reminder that they are still within the show-makers' consciousness.
  • Yes for liberal usage of 'nanda kanda' in all kinds of sentences.
  • PRAISE THE LORD for Musashi and Kojiro spelling out that Mimikyu and Hidoide shouldn't go to HQ. Here's to them joining them in Galar for a bit until they can get old-school teary goodbyes!
  • Kojiro going full-on nerd is my fave, so both the scenes where he was deployed by Musashi to chuck Haban berries for Jijilong and when he was fawning over his mecha in post-credits were life-giving to me.
  • My heart nearly jumped outta my chest with squees when Musashi threw that Z-ring to Kojiro (although why, woman, are you storing that in your bra? That cannot be comfortable...) and they did the Z-move together... 'Even if all we share is the feeling...' :love:
  • Second round of squees for Kojiro holding the Nuikoguma bundle like his first-born child, omg.
  • Even though I knew it was coming, the reveal of Nyasu as Nuikoguma made me laugh out loud.

Not sure if this is controversial, but I feel like even if they made a big permanent change like the TRio no longer being in Team Rocket, I still feel they could remain characters on the show except be good guys. Just a hunch I've been having.

Given their reluctance to leave Mimikyu and Mareanie behind, this could suggest several things:

1: Team Rocket will remain in Alola instead of travelling to Galar
2: Mimikyu and Mareanie will travel with them to Galar
3: Team Rocket are forced to leave Mimikyu and Mareanie at HQ
4: Team Rocket leave Mimikyu and Mareanie in Alola

Not sure if this is controversial, but I feel like even if they made a big permanent change like the TRio no longer being in Team Rocket, I still feel they could remain characters on the show except be good guys. Just a hunch I've been having.
I want to say 'NO what would be the point, what would they do?!' but tbh, they haven't done all that much in their capacity as the villains this series anyway. It probably wouldn't be too big a change in role more's the pity...
Given their reluctance to leave Mimikyu and Mareanie behind, this could suggest several things:

1: Team Rocket will remain in Alola instead of travelling to Galar
2: Mimikyu and Mareanie will travel with them to Galar
3: Team Rocket are forced to leave Mimikyu and Mareanie at HQ
4: Team Rocket leave Mimikyu and Mareanie in Alola
One thing's for sure, Mimikyu and Hidoide are not being left at HQ with nary an explanation this time. Based on Matsui's handling of the TRio and the subtle nod to it in SM 3, I think she dislikes the unceremonious dumpings as much as most of us do.

I want to say 'NO what would be the point, what would they do?!' but tbh, they haven't done all that much in their capacity as the villains this series anyway. It probably wouldn't be too big a change in role more's the pity...

One thing's for sure, Mimikyu and Hidoide are not being left at HQ with nary an explanation this time. Based on Matsui's handling of the TRio and the subtle nod to it in SM 3, I think she dislikes the unceremonious dumpings as much as most of us do.
Can you answer me this

Why no ever responds to my comments at all

TR just lampshaded how many unusual and rare pokemon there is in this random pokemon school, and they didn't even mention Shaymin!
TR barely interacted with twerps, so they had no idea about their Z-Rings/Crystals.
Kiteruguma just crushed TR's communicator. Will there be consequences?
What you think about mine comments

Can you answer me this

Why no ever responds to my comments at all
You can't expect forum members to reply to posts unless they actually have something meaningful to say in response. If you feel you aren't getting enough response, why not try writing something longer or more from the heart?

This episode really made me think. Jessie and James said that they both knew Mimikyu and Mareanie would hate to be sent to HQ. It does really make me wonder what their fate is going to be by the end of the series. Hopefully they'll join the TRio as they surely follow Ash to Galar. I miss the days where they had more Pokemon on deck. More to choose from in battle. I feel like both of them have too much going for them to simply be left at HQ to never be seen again or even worse actually be given to Giovanni as gifts like their BW Pokemon and not put in storage with their others. It was what they were sent to Alola to do after all. I can see them giving their Z-Ring and Crystals to Giovanni at the end of the series though.

You can't expect forum members to reply to posts unless they actually have something meaningful to say in response. If you feel you aren't getting enough response, why not try writing something longer or more from the heart?
I did that’s how I feel

Didn’t u read it

PRAISE THE LORD for Musashi and Kojiro spelling out that Mimikyu and Hidoide shouldn't go to HQ. Here's to them joining them in Galar for a bit until they can get old-school teary goodbyes!

I really want Mimikyu to be on the cast as long as possible... in my opinion it’s the best Pokemon Jessie has owned after Wobuffet and Arbok.

I did that’s how I feel

Didn’t u read it
People are not really obligated to reply to each and every post here. Replies are used in case there's something people would like to comment upon in the post, or add on to it. Replies are just not for the sake of replying.

People are more likely to reply to more fleshed out and well thought out posts though.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom