• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM140: Akuziking Invasion! The Great Z-Move Battle!!

Steel or giving Kukui’s blank slate of a team something that can use an electric move?
They also need a moves that acts as a blast, to shoot him away. Plus Kukui's team was probably already planned out so possibly he doesn't have an electric type, or at least one that doesn't have an electric move.

They also need a moves that acts as a blast, to shoot him away. Plus Kukui's team was probably already planned out so possibly he doesn't have an electric type, or at least one that doesn't have an electric move.
Literally both Lucario and Incineroar can learn thunder punch... it isn’t that improbable that no one in his team has an electric Z-Move.

The requirements aren’t so hard-set as you think. Any Z-Move could do the job.

Literally both Lucario and Incineroar can learn thunder punch... it isn’t that improbable that no one in his team has an electric Z-Move.

The requirements aren’t so hard-set as you think. Any Z-Move could do the job.
Not saying it's improbable, just that they didn't have Kukui have anything Electric related planned out. Again his whole, moves and everything were probably already planned out before hand. And again they kinda need a blast move to shoot him away

Not saying it's improbable, just that they didn't have Kukui have anything Electric related planned out. Again his whole, moves and everything were probably already planned out before hand. And again they kinda need a blast move to shoot him away
The corkscrew drill format can push it back, the possibilities are endless.

I guess they didn’t have anything planned out, but it still doesn’t change the fact that Naganadel using its first Z-Move with Kukui. Literally everything Naganadel did was a plot device.

Did someone else notice: Trio is supposed to be inside the Kiteruguma robot but during their closes the background is always the sky or part of the arena? At first I thought their seats were outside however they're nowhere to be seen when the robot is the focus. Animation oversight or intentional?

Did someone else notice: Trio is supposed to be inside the Kiteruguma robot but during their closes the background is always the sky or part of the arena? At first I thought their seats were outside however they're nowhere to be seen when the robot is the focus. Animation oversight or intentional?

I did wonder about that, I thought maybe see through windows or somethinh

Like with SM126, this episode wasn't needed I feel, the only useful thing to occur was Masked Royal being exposed (could have happened during the full battle) and Poipole, now a Naganedel returning (Ash could have used a Pokemon from Oak's lab)

Okay, so finally got around to seeing a proper subbed version and here we go with the review:

Pros
There was a little bit of strategizing between Gladion, Kiawe and Hau where they would work together as a team, using a strategy to throw their Guzzlord off blance, pin it in place and push it back. Sadly, all that strategizing proved pointless because hitting the big hunk with a shit ton of Z-moves was a far better solution. Lillie's Z-move, despite being recycled, looked a little too good with all the hair strands and cloth physics. Ash and Rotom's reaction to Masked Royal's unmasking, as well as Kukui's own horror, was hilarious.

Cons
There was a lot 'jumping' from one plot point to another which was quite jarring but that's the case with every rushed episode. TRio and Bewear took up way too much screentime again, and their performance in today's episode makes all their scenes kind of pointless given how much screentime was wasted on them instead of being utilized for the League battles. It would have been better if we only got small snippets of Bewear and none of TRio, their appearance today would have some sort of impact at least.
Way too much plot convenience with several Ultra Beasts appearing at the same location within a short span of time with 3 of them being Guzzlord, and 2 of those being shiny. Have to admit, the third Guzzlord was a surprise. On topic of Guzzlord itself, the beast was portrayed as a serious threat in Dia's world yet at the best, it just ate one spectator stand's guard rail in this episode. Wasted potential.
Animation quality has suffered seriously and the low budget issues are very much apparent. Framerate was seriously low and scenes felt choppy quite often, lots of stock footage and reused animation, especially for the Z-move. For that matter, Lucario's Close Combat wasn't even portrayed properly (see Staraptor using Close Combat).
All the issues in this episode are even more frustrating given last week's decent episode and it's even more ironic that SM139 was written by Fujisaku and turned out decent. If the writers of the episodes weren't revealed beforehand at all, one would assume this to be a Fujisaku episode. Lucario was hyped up a bit in the preview but ended up being defeated quite easily, giving the image that it's a glass cannon. It'll be even more annoying if Lucario suddenly starts tanking in the next battle.
The worst offender is that despite there being so much Ultra Wormhole activity, there was literally no mention of Mohn.

Extra
Guzzlord's scream was hilarious in its original appearance but it at least had some semblannce of threat to it back then. In this episode, I could barely take the 'threat' from all 3 of them seriously with all the AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaahhhh. Also, I should have mentioned this in the last episode's review but here we go... the lyrics of the opening theme saying "Tears of frustration being dried in the Alolan sun" seems very fitting. Type: Wild being played without Ash in it felt out of place.

Verdict: They could have taken some examples from the game's Ultra Beast invasion segment and made it a one and a half parter at the least, but they ended up making this episode feel like pointlessly rushed, and more of a bridge/set-up for Naganadel's return more than anything else. My rating for this episode is 4/10.

Last edited:
I think it's some sort of virtual reality vision showing the view around them.
and Poipole, now a Naganedel returning (Ash could have used a Pokemon from Oak's lab)
Ash usually prefers to use the Pokémon he's caught in the current region these days.

Ash usually prefers to use the Pokémon he's caught in the current region these days.
I'd rather he do it like Sinnoh, he used his Lake Acuity team against his main rival Paul (the very one which was pwned back then) and won with it. Whereas for his other battles, he shuffled his reserves.

I'm not gonna say this episode was boring af, but from what I skimmed through, it was really boring. I mean this episode was clearly just an excuse to bring back a 6th party member for Ash, was the Guzzlord attack really necessary? 3 freaking Guzzlord attack, and they're defeated through Z-Move spam like it's nothing. I mean, I would have preferred if the last episode ended where they just had Naganadel come out a wormhole, join Ash's party, and start the exhibition match. Would have been better than this overall pointless episode.

Kinda lame and filler-ish, but still enjoyable with a few great character moments (MUCH better than the awful Kartama episode)

I honestly didn't expect the episode to be dragged out for 2 epsiodes or anything, Ash handled a Guzzlord before with one other person and now there's multiple people. So it wasn't the biggest threat anymore. Sure maybe the episode was an excuse to show off every z-move, but it's still within the realms of how Ash beat him last time.
It does kinda raise the question though, if they were able to handle multiple Guzzlords by splitting into multiple groups and using z-moves, why was the single one able to do as much damage in Dia’s world when they had an entire team against it at first?

It does kinda raise the question though, if they were able to handle multiple Guzzlords by splitting into multiple groups and using z-moves, why was the single one able to do as much damage in Dia’s world when they had an entire team against it at first?
Because they didn't have Z-Moves or Ultra Wormholes to send them through, I think.

Stock footage... the episode

I really won't miss these Z'moves in the anime. OLM only bothering to do one version each and then recycling them indefinitely just gets so damn old. Really takes the enjoyment out of them.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom