• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM144: Alola's Strongest Z! Kapu-Kokeko VS Pikachu!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a conclusion to the two's rivalry.
Wouldn't be the first time we have a title that misleads us

cough Dewpider cough
The exhibition match is supposed to be Torracat's highlight. They literally made Torracat battle no one other than Kukui even when Torracat joined Ash's team to grow stronger, and now its the ultimate vs Kukui battle of the series. I think it’s nothing short of disservice to Torracat's entire (already neglected) character arc if the spotlight is stolen by Pikachu and Tapu Koko at the last moment.

The exhibition match is supposed to be Torracat's highlight. They literally made Torracat battle no one other than Kukui even when Torracat joined Ash's team to grow stronger, and now its the ultimate vs Kukui battle of the series. I think it’s nothing short of disservice to Torracat's entire (already neglected) character arc if the spotlight is stolen by Pikachu and Tapu Koko at the last moment.
No. Torracat's main thing is beating Incineroar, not this battle as a whole. Once the rivalry has been resolved, Pikachu and Tapu Koko can have their final match.

No. Torracat's main thing is beating Incineroar, not this battle as a whole. Once the rivalry has been resolved, Pikachu and Tapu Koko can have their final match.
Why not have it in the same forest near the Melemele shrine instead of the same battle? Because the latter seems more fitting. If it approaches Kukui at the last moment during the current battle, it comes off as an inconsiderate dick who's horny for Pikachu.

I just find it disgraceful that the match has to be in the Ash vs Kukui battle. I'm pretty sure most people would find it anticlimactic if the Lycanroc vs Lycanroc showdown happened in the middle of the Ash vs Gladion match instead of the end.
It is really, really painfully clear that Incineroar vs Torracat was supposed to be the clear highlight of this battle, and keep in mind that Torracat had literally 1 official battle that wasn’t with Kukui involved pre-league.

The outcome of Ash vs Kukui will be shaped by Pikachu vs Tapu Koko and not Torracat vs Incineroar, which was the rivalry relevant to the match. This is specially considering that Tapu Koko could be battled Pikachu literally anywhere else.

Why not have it in the same forest near the Melemele shrine instead of the same battle? Because the latter seems more fitting. If it approaches Kukui at the last moment during the current battle, it comes off as an inconsiderate dick who's horny for Pikachu.
This is specially considering that Tapu Koko could be battled Pikachu literally anywhere else.
They're kinda running out of time, so they put it here to save space for the mandatory goodbye episode.

The outcome of Ash vs Kukui will be shaped by Pikachu vs Tapu Koko and not Torracat vs Incineroar, which was the rivalry relevant to the match. This is specially considering that Tapu Koko could be battled Pikachu literally anywhere else.
Not to mention how most of us are far past caring about Pikachu’s rivalries by this point, but oh well

I have a feeling this battle ends in a tie:
  • It's an unofficial battle so nothing is at stake.
  • If Torracat defeats Incineroar, that is a pretty big win. I doubt they would give Ash another major win like that with Pikachu vs. Tapu Koko, but on the other hand I also somehow doubt they would have Tapu Koko defeat Pikachu; it'd be too obvious.
  • If Ash wins, that would make him look "too strong" (not my personal opinion but what I think the writers' thought pattern is)
  • If Ash loses, it would make him look bad after he just became champion (again, not my personal opinion)
This is just a suspicion though. I'd rather see either Ash or Kukui claim a full-on victory.

Evidence we have suggests otherwise.
What evidence prevents my hypothetical scenario you quoted from happening?

End Ash vs Kukui in the Incineroar vs Torracat episode.
Have Pikachu vs Tapu Koko take place some time after in the next episode already dedicated to the battle.

I literally don’t change the amount of episodes. As for Kukui’s sixth Pokemon, it could’ve been treated similar to Venusaur or Empoleon. It’s not that complex.

They were definitely not running out of time when it comes to Pikachu vs Tapu Koko, since it already has an episode dedicated to it.

They're kinda running out of time, so they put it here to save space for the mandatory goodbye episode.
How is it running out of time when they literally dedicate an entire episode (that's pretty much titled as such) to Pikachu facing off Koko, a 1v1 that is? You'd think Ash would seek out Koko for a proper match conclusion out at the guardian's shrine, not have the latter interrupt an on going match at the last minute and do a disservice to Kukui's 6th mon. Not to mention that the battle itself, much less the League, has been dragged out for too long.

Maybe the evidence says so, doesn't mean it's good premise/writing.

Last edited:
This anime series is never going to end, is it?
It will. We're missing probably only one to two episode titles at most.
A three-parter should have definitely been enough to squeeze in Kukui's actual sixth Pokemon.
Maybe. I guess they just wanted to give focus on the Torracat vs. Incineroar match and Pikachu's final match with Tapu Koko.

...It wasn't.
That Ash vs Tapu Koko battle can be taken to some shrine, forest, or hell-something right after the exhibition match, and as for the human partner for a Z-Move: Kukui or Hala could be present and nothing would change other than the fact that Koko wouldn’t steal the thunder from Ash vs Kukui.

So I find it wholly unnecessary for the battle to be lumped in with Ash vs Kukui. The argument that there isn’t enough time is moot anyway since Pikachu vs Tapu Koko has its own episode, and I haven’t seen any other compelling argument on why the battle’s inclusion in Ash vs Kukui is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom