• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So...current thoughts on Serena?

I have mixed feelings about Serena. I'll start with my main beef and end with my main plus.

My biggest issue is her general lack of interest in being a trainer. Its ok to want to be cute and "girly", but if that's all she wanted to be, she should have gone home after returning the handkerchief. Right now it seems like she only enjoys having Fennekin around because it is a cute companion to sit with her while she bakes. Serena likes fashion, and it appears Fennekin is just another accessory to her. That will probably all change as we go through the series, but for now its pretty irritating. Of course, Fennekin's personality isn't my favorite either.

But maybe Serena's character is symbollic. She doesn't like battling and she doesn't seem like the type that would "make waves" by saying something bold. There are a lot of people in the world like that. I can't tell you how many videos I've watched about what it means to be "shy" in Japan and how many young Japanese people struggle to find the courage to stand out. So perhaps Serena is meant to be a representation of them. And if they see Serena grow, they might be inspired to do so as well.

Last edited:
I wanted to wait until after the Pokevision episode to state how I'm feeling about her.

I really like Serena. I like her interactions with all of her friends. Her crush on Ash is cute, her sisterly bond with Bonnie is adorable, and her moments with Clemont have been entertaining as well. I like how her goal is to search for a goal. It's unique and more realistic than past female companion goals. I don't mind her not having a goal for a while just so long as she gets a lot of screentime doing other things, whether it be trying out other goals or just entertaining things in the episodes.

I just really hope that she'll get some sort of way to catch more Pokémon and develop some sort of goal. It doesn't have to resolve around battling, just something she has to catch Pokemon and do something with them on a regular basis. Her bonding with Fennekin in XY21 gives me hope that they'll work together on more things in the future. Hopefully battling, because I believe Fennekin has potential.

I think that what is happening is not normal. Even if the goal of Serena was meant to be "searching for a goal" there's no excuse to do that she is doing now.

Something is happening woith her. Even Team Rocket (hated more than they should) are better in thei roles and has done much than her She already has the record of the most character without a secind pokemon, surpassing May with 14 episodes And she is going to have a large margin with 10 episodes by the time XY24 come out.

Maybe they made the boonm later but right now is what we are getting. This is causing that Clemont and Bonnie are getting so much screentime.

Last edited:
I would not go into that kind of thinking, especially when there's no evidence to back up either. And I recall she had used Fennekin in battle at least two times, not counting the recent episode. One is against Team Rocket, the other is against the Magnemite in the Lumiose Gym.

I think that what is happening is not normal
She already has the record of the most character without a secind pokemon, surpassing May with 14 episodes And she is going to have a large margin with 10 episodes by the time XY24 come out.
She needs to battle to catch a new Pokemon. And she needs to call an attack to battle. I went through all her screen time, she hasn't called an attack yet. Let alone having 2nd Pokemon. 21 episodes without calling an attack. Absolutely, something is wrong with her.

She actually called the move Ember in episode 7...and again in episode 9...

Maybe (for me more like hopefully) they plan to keep her around for more than one gen which is why they're taking their time to develop her, or more likely they're just becoming more and more lazy.

Initially I wasn't so sure, but I ultimately love Serena's current disposition and role. It is a realistic aspect of the life that many people go through. Some people don't always know what they want in life, what their calling is. It takes time to find, if they find it at all. I feel that is what the writers are trying to convey with Serena.

Right now, she has a starter Pokemon that she is clearly bonding with, and is meeting new Pokemon relatively in each episode. Familiarizing herself with Pokemon? Check. So far she has observed several Pokemon battles, including a Gym battle. Experiencing the heart of what it means to be a Pokemon trainer? Check. She has visited several key Kalos cities and towns. Gained some traveling under her belt? Check. As of now, she is testing the waters and experiencing new things she clearly wouldn't if she went home back to her Rhyhorn-riding addicted mother. So, I appreciate that.

I think a lot of us are just shaken because this concept is so foreign; we are all used to the female companion having an explicit goal from day one. We are also used to the female companion sharing the battling spotlight and catching a few Pokemon by now. Generally, just being more active. But I guess we have to remember that some people are just a bit slower than others. Anyways, her interactions with the group compensate for everything in my opinion. She has become fast friends with Bonnie, and has exhibited a substantial big sister complex that we haven't seen in the other girls. Her interactions with Ash and Clemont are pretty equal and decent too, rather than past female relationships that were usually one sided with Ash. Not mention, she does do certain things to her credit, such as her occasional baking skills (haven't seen that before) and her interest in fashion, which sometimes leads to costumes for Bonnie and co. Also her taking charge of Town Map role is pretty refreshing. So as of now, I really like her. Now, I do wish the writers would have her do certain things, but I appreciate what we have presently nonetheless.

Mod note: Please don't use this thread for drawn-out theorising over whether or not there's a grand scheme to drop Serena from the show early. It's gone far enough already. If you must talk about such things, kindly stick to your blog.

I don't mind the idea of her goal being "searching for a goal" or even that she doesn't battle much. (Though I would like to see some Pokémon other than Pikachu more often...)

What bugs me is her personality. I honestly can't name any traits other then "girly" and "has a crush on Ash". By themselves, those traits are fine and have work fine on previous female companions. But Serena is nothing more than that. And yes, being shy counts as "girly" in this case because she's not a shrinking violet or anything, she's a stereotypical anime female character.

In the last episode, they could've made her dilemma anything other than "I'll get dirty to save my Pokémon!" They could've played the scene mostly the same, but with Serena rushing out until James attacks. After that she could've been stopped and had the normal "my Pokémon once got hurt protecting me, but this time I'll protect them" thing. But no, what stopped her was becoming dirty.

*sighs*

Maybe I just have trouble relating to more girly characters.

The recent episode really made me like Serena even more. Her crush on Ash is so adorable XD She gets worried if Ash likes other girls or idols, and she really.likes getting praised by Ash. I really hope they develop her feelings for him :3

As for her goal, I like how she's trying out new things and experiencing what she wants to do. It gives her more things to do and doesn't tie her to a certain area. We get to see more jobs and activities in the Pokemon World through her, so wynaut let her experience what she wants as much as possible?

It's because she didn't leave home with a goal in the first place. Don't forget her main reason for travelling is because Ash invited her. She left home just to see Ash, and after getting to see him, she had no reason to stick around until Ash asked her to travel with him. She took the opportunity to spend time with Ash, as well as finding something to do. Ash comes first for Serena.

Im mainly indifferent about Serena character currently coming of as pretty one dimensional in my opinion. Now dont get me wrong her docile, preaceful personality is nice change of pace and seem to compliment group interactions quite well. But unusually passive attitude and lack of interest in battling, training pokemon and doing something more with it instead of treating it as pet. Lack of any motivation and desire to take initiative in something, work on bettering herself and explore word on her own doesn't help her character at all.

Interactions with cast other than Bonnie are pretty artificial at times for my taste with entire chemistry regarding Ash being based on admiration and blushing. While with Clemont aside from few moments of being disturbed and agitated by his inventions and random escapades being on peaceful admiring note lacking more variety and emotion from her part. Not being varied and realistic like other girls( May, Misty, Iris etc) play ofs with Ash, Max, Brock, various other characters have been.
That can change with there still existing time to explore more on different facets of Serena character and background, but as of now she doesn't have much going for her being my least favorite member of XY group.

Her subordinate demeanor and shy maneurisms seeming like she is on large part consumed by crush she holds for main protagonist Ash and looking for his approval takes away from her credibility as well. As evidenced in initially baking cookies solely to leave impression on him or becoming disturbed for no reason when Ash sees other girls and comments on them such as super model Elle, giving out impression how she tried herself in shooting mainly because of being driven by desire to get noticed by Ash. I believe my line of thinking is somewhat justified by finding Ash commendation of doing good job in video recording highly important starting to blush at end of episode.

I mean i dont have anything against riomantic subplots in pokemon(even though i was never much interested in this), because it happened in past as far as main girls go. Adding on complexity of inetactions bringing extra depth to this characters aside from having their own dreams, interests and passions which prompts them to work hard and learn on mistakes.

But with Serena at times it seems like interest for Ash is main and only thing she has going for her. From inspiring her to start journey in first place, to realize through his advices and determination how she should start woking on finding her own goal one day or in desire to try herself in anything. Making it seem like what drives her forward is his character and hidden feelings lacking enough identity, background and interest which would separate her and make stronger as protagonist.

Im also not much impressed with her reluctance to get in action, not wanting to get scratched even if it means becoming posessed(like by that Malamar)or disliking to get dirty with her line of "girls should always attend to their appearance and make themselves look cute" taking away from her emotional strength. Because in pokemon world to succeed, find your calling and manage yourself in all kind of dangers or wild pokemon you may encounter its pretty much required to be proactive, assertive and stand up for yourself. This pertains to real life as well if you don't want to get run over by others.

Granted recent episode supposed to give her some development in sense of overcoming her own prejudices and dislike of getting into ground just like her pokemon Fennekin. But entire character development and establishing better bond between trainer and pokemon lost on its impsct for me when literally small puddle was main plot around everything was based. Making things overdramatic over basically nothing lessening importance of what happened there.

Serena as character definitely has potential for good character development. From whole lack of willingness and insecurity not being sure what she wants from life, issues over caring abit too much over her apoearance which reflect on her own pokemon too and prospect of learning how to become more confident in her own qualities and take control of rudder in her hands. Tailoring her destiny and path she will follow,

Its different, untried before and new. But at same time way in which her characterization is depicted,lack of more identity to stand by her own on ground, tendency to be dependant too much on Ash at times accompanied with static, not very meaningful development hindering her character to truly blossom.

Im trying to give Serena character chance and i still have some mild interest for her and way story will play out,. But as of right now im not particularly enthusiastic and satisfed with way she has been depicted through series so far or handled in slightest.

Last edited:
Wow I didn't know Hikari was disliked this much.
She's my favorite female companion so far, precisely because she got along so well with Satoshi and had her own attitude when it came to Contests. (Glad she didn't end as a Haruka rehash)

Anyway... I LOVED Serena in the first 10 episodes.
But lately I've been getting worried they stopped caring about her development.
She's doing less than the great braindead zombie sandwich machine that was Kenji. I don't mind at all that she's supposed to have a crush on Satoshi and that it builds up over time, but not even that seemed to have been reminded in the last 10 or so episodes. (Then again I'm missing the most recent episode)

She's kind of just there and that's it. All other three do way more than her... I can't see her as the same character that was introduced in the first five episodes. I just can't.

Well, the XY series is still at the early stage. Here's hoping she gets more development and maybe co-star the series. Personally I really loved Haruka and Hikari for co-starring with Satoshi.

Oh, one more thing. I fail to see how vanity makes her a worse character.
Really, just because most of us think girls who worry too much about what happens to their dress, hair or make-up in the worst situations is stupid doesn't means characters with such personality traits should be forbidden.
I think this is one of the few things that still make her stand-out compared to the previous female companions. Nothing wrong with bad human qualities.

Last edited:
Love her. Breath of fresh air after Iris and I think she's coming along well.

watching the dub though and people say she's fallen aside so I guess I'll judge that once I'm 10 episodes further in.

So far I've been disappointed with Serena. On the one hand her girly ways are quite cute. On the other hand, being girly and having a crush on Ash being her only defining traits makes her a rather bland character. Factor in the fact that she hasn't even made any progress towards developing a goal or caught any additional Pokemon, and you got what is a very useless character. She didn't even get a focus episode until episode 21, and it didn't add much to her as a character (I highly doubt she along with Fennekin have gotten over their fear of getting dirty). Should I mention she is concerned about her appearance to the point where she is willing to sacrifice her own safety (as demonstrated in the Malamar episode). However, I will give her credit for caring enough about Fennekin to be willing to get dirty in order to save it. Too bad she treats Fennekin more as a pet than as a Pokemon. There is no evidence that she has even been training Fennekin to get stronger, otherwise I highly doubt Fennekin would have ran away from Corsola's water attack.

Unfortunately, we got a character who while very well designed in terms of appearance is very lacking in terms of character. It is sad since Serena definitely has lots of room for development as a character and as a trainer. Perhaps in the future Serena will receive better treatment, but for now things don't look promising. (I may be more forgiving of the current Serena if these things are used as the starting point from which she undergoes some awesome character development later on.)

Last edited:
I wish she was more active, she hardly gets any screen time, hasn't really even battled, or even caught a Pokemon yet. I'm glad she at least attempted to catch that Corsola from the Shiny Magikarp episode, it's an improvement imo.

I like her hat.

Oh yeah, and like others have said I would also like her to be more active. So far Clemont has more character development. Her interactions with the group are fine though imo.

By the way, are we good to use this thread Serena's Fennekin too?

XY004; Serena chooses Fennekin as her starter. Fennekin uses Ember to help Serena.
XY007; Fennekin wants to help the gang and for the first time Serena commands an attack.
XY008; Fennekin is kidnapped by TR. She is very scared as seen before Furfou finding the trio. She stays in the bag and shows no reaction when the gang arrives to rescue her.
XY011; Her 'prideful' tail gets ruined. But her expression is impotent. It is the first time we see a personailty traif of Fennekin if we don't count her mimicking Serena (as stretching out) at the beginnig of XY005.
XY021; She easily gets jealous of Elle's Fennekin. Gets angry when Ash praises Elle's Fennekin. Shows her tongue with no good reason to Chespin. She pooh-poohes Clemont's camera. She tries to hit Pikachu and hits Ash with Ember when her appearance gets ruined. She acts self-satisfied when Serena changes into a Fennekin-costume. Hitting Ash with Ember happens for the 2nd time. She improvises Hidden Power. She doesn't want to run through the muddy puddle. Then does it for her trainer. Learns and uses Flamethrower.
XY022; When Serena tries to capture a Corsola, she doesn't battle and hides(she doesn't want to get dirty or she doesn't want to battle for obvious type disadvantage). When Ash and Clemont states that she should have battled, she gets cocky. Tho, reacts well to her trainer.
XY023; She tries to help the gang by battling Meowth. Her Hidden Power doesn't do a thing but her attitude seems determined.

There are 2 things in my mind;
- Isn't it like a 2 different Pokemon? Like before XY021 and then XY021. Her personality traits seem much more aggressive compared to before XY021, and she didn't show some cockiness, too.
- How Serena managed to call Hidden Power you think? He didn't see Fennekin using the move. And as we know so far, she doesn't do trainings like Ash does.

Last edited:
By the way, are we good to use this thread Serena's Fennekin too?

XY004; Serena chooses Fennekin as her starter. Fennekin uses Ember to help Serena.
XY007; Fennekin wants to help the gang and for the first time Serena commands an attack.
XY008; Fennekin is kidnapped by TR. She is very scared as seen before Furfou finding the trio. She stays in the bag and shows no reaction when the gang arrives to rescue her.
XY011; Her 'prideful' tail gets ruined. But her expression is impotent. It is the first time we see a personailty traif of Fennekin if we don't count her mimicking Serena (as stretching out) at the beginnig of XY005.
XY021; She easily gets jealous of Elle's Fennekin. Gets angry when Ash praises Elle's Fennekin. Shows her tongue with no good reason to Chespin. She pooh-poohes Clemont's camera. She tries to hit Pikachu and hits Ash with Ember when her appearance gets ruined. She acts self-satisfied when Serena changes into a Fennekin-costume. Hitting Ash with Ember happens for the 2nd time. She improvises Hidden Power. She doesn't want to run through the muddy puddle. Then does it for her trainer. Learns and uses Flamethrower.
XY022; When Serena tries to capture a Corsola, she doesn't battle and hides(she doesn't want get dirty or she doesn't want to battle for obvious type disadvantage). When Ash and Clemont states she should have battled, she gets cocky. Tho, reacts well to her trainer.
XY023; She tries to help the gang by battling Meowth. Her Hidden Power doesn't do a thing but her attitude seems determined.

There are 2 things in my mind;
- Isn't it like a 2 different Pokemon? Like before XY021 and then XY021. Her personality traits seem much more aggressive compared to before XY021, and she didn't show some cockiness, too.
- How Serena managed to call Hidden Power you think? He didn't see Fennekin using the move. And as we know so far, she doesn't do trainings like Ash does.

I think Fennekin is willing to battle if her trainer is around or is in danger. Without Serena, Fennekin doesn't really know what do, hence why she gets easily scared by Team Rocket or a muddy puddle. As for Hidden Power, considering that Fennekin did Flamethrower on her own, Serena might have been curious to see what other moves Fennekin could do, especially if they could helpful against future Team Rocket attacks.

I think Fennekin is willing to battle if her trainer is around or is in danger. Without Serena, Fennekin doesn't really know what do, hence why she gets easily scared by Team Rocket or a muddy puddle. As for Hidden Power, considering that Fennekin did Flamethrower on her own, Serena might have been curious to see what other moves Fennekin could do, especially if they could helpful against future Team Rocket attacks.
Without Serena, she doesn't know what do. Yes. I kinda agree with that. But besides battling for her trainer and mimicking in XY005, the scenes that reveals her personality isn't related to Serena. It's interesting. Doing nothing or getting jelaous or behaving vain.

I guess I won't be convinced about Hidden Power. Because while Fennekin used to escape in XY021, she doesn't look like she knew what she was doing. And still we haven't seen any training from Serena&Fennekin.
Edit: I remember that, If Serena ever checked out Pokedex at any point on Fennekin, then sure she can know it. Usage in XY021 can be the first for Fennekin, too.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom