• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Technical performance in SV

I still use a release day Switch and I haven't had much issue at all despite the stuff I've been hearing. I think I've had some slight lag, but that's it. But it is concerning that others are having more serious issues. GF and the Pokemon Company absolutely need to do better, especially with the highest grossing franchise on the planet.

I think another reason why this seems so bad is Pokémon games are usually bug free (in my experience anyways) so for a franchise that’s rarely had any issues to all of a sudden to be filled with them it’s even more shocking.
I agree with this - this is the part that’s making my experience with Violet much rougher than it should be. From generations 2 through 7, the only glitches I ever experienced were those that I intentionally caused to happen, knowing the potential consequences. The only lag that I ever experienced was in triple battles in XY - I saw literally none for Sun and Moon. Even in Gen 8, the only unintentional glitches I experienced were tiny silly things in Legends, like a Pokémon hovering into a tree or something - very rare and not enough to stop it from becoming my favorite in the series. The only lag I saw there was in Sword and Shield when turning on internet connectivity in the Wild Area. To jump from that to this has been so jarring and strange. It feels like Gen 1 again in terms of the number of bugs running rampant - and some of them are nearly constant, like the minor but annoying clipping issues every time I try to make a sandwich.

I guess the other thing that’s bugging me is that even with these incredibly prevalent, immersion-breaking bugs… I still already like it more than Sword and Shield. I wonder just how much I’d like it if it was polished and fully functional and retained a few of my favorite features they ripped out.

I agree with this - this is the part that’s making my experience with Violet much rougher than it should be. From generations 2 through 7, the only glitches I ever experienced were those that I intentionally caused to happen, knowing the potential consequences. The only lag that I ever experienced was in triple battles in XY - I saw literally none for Sun and Moon. Even in Gen 8, the only unintentional glitches I experienced were tiny silly things in Legends, like a Pokémon hovering into a tree or something - very rare and not enough to stop it from becoming my favorite in the series. The only lag I saw there was in Sword and Shield when turning on internet connectivity in the Wild Area. To jump from that to this has been so jarring and strange. It feels like Gen 1 again in terms of the number of bugs running rampant - and some of them are nearly constant, like the minor but annoying clipping issues every time I try to make a sandwich.

I guess the other thing that’s bugging me is that even with these incredibly prevalent, immersion-breaking bugs… I still already like it more than Sword and Shield. I wonder just how much I’d like it if it was polished and fully functional and retained a few of my favorite features they ripped out.
Another annoying aspect of it is how good Legends was compared to this. Legends had a lot of great features that weren’t included in SV yet it didn’t have the extreme performance issues that SV has (at least for me).

I do enjoy it more than SWSH minus the performance stuff but for me I think I’ll always compare everything to PLA now, that game is the new standard for me now.

I clipped through the surface of a mountain and got stuck inside of it like a container. For a while I was scared I had to reset the game and lose a lot of my Dex progress but I was able to clip back out another wall to return to the normal area. And not joking as I was typing this got stuck in a Raid battle that won't start so I have to reset anyway. Just feels more and more pathetic the more I play.

And not joking as I was typing this got stuck in a Raid battle that won't start so I have to reset anyway. Just feels more and more pathetic the more I play.
I had the same thing happen as well with a Litleo raid, as I reported yesterday on the previous page. Guess I was right to be suspicious of this error being a gameplay issue and not because of my city's poor internet services from bad weather.

I wonder if the developers will fix these issues. Pokémon generally doesn't get many patches.

This game is far more enjoyable compared to Sw/Sh, but really suffers from these issues.

I would be surprised if they aren't already investigating a way to fix the memory leak, if not other things people are reporting. A lot of press has already covered SV's performance issues, and I think GF - and Nintendo - would be worried about it impacting future sales. Nintendo also wants to keep the good reputation of its first-party titles, which Pokémon is putting a dent in right now.

So... just battled on the water on a raft thingy, my Pokemon used a move, but wasn't visible (The move was though, i used Bite, so only saw the teeth).

And the raft is to small for some Pokemon... Tauros barely fits on it, it looks like its floating on occasion because the raft is too small.

I also fell through the world, but got teleported back fortunatly.

One thing that continues to annoying me in this game is the camera angle/position. It’s not wide/far enough back to be able to see both Pokémon and all the action unless both are small.

PLA handled this so well so it’s really disappointing how bad it is on SV.

Same... you cannot even get a big flying Pokemon in the screen against a smaller opponent.

One thing that continues to annoying me in this game is the camera angle/position. It’s not wide/far enough back to be able to see both Pokémon and all the action unless both are small.

PLA handled this so well so it’s really disappointing how bad it is on SV.
Yep - and depending on the angle of the slope you're fighting on, the camera sometimes clips into the ground.

I think their vision was to have the camera initially show the "from the back" view when entering a battle to keep things more traditional, but allow for better camera movement if you want to see the battle from a different angle. The result just feels janky.

I think the one area where the problems are really starting to bother me me is the raids. They have the potential to be so much fun, but they're such a mess right now, both online and offline. So many cases where I've had to sit there stuck for a whole minute while everyone else gets to move and the timer goes down, turns seemed to get skipped, and the game just can't seem to keep up with what's going on.

I'm usually pretty patient with this stuff, but 5-star raids can get a bit frustrating when weird stuff starts happening that affects our ability to actually win the raid.

Same... you cannot even get a big flying Pokemon in the screen against a smaller opponent.
Yeah if you have a decent sized flying type you aren’t seeing most of it….
Yep - and depending on the angle of the slope you're fighting on, the camera sometimes clips into the ground.

I think their vision was to have the camera initially show the "from the back" view when entering a battle to keep things more traditional, but allow for better camera movement if you want to see the battle from a different angle. The result just feels janky.
I would have preferred them lock the camera like previous games rather than this. It worked well in PLA since you can walk around and recompose everything but it’s really broken in this. Hopefully this is something they can patch and just make the camera fixed if that’s easier and we can see everyone.

i'm always kinda surprised when i read threads like this because in my experience i've had a grand total of zero crashes, both in handheld and in docked. i'm serious - aside from the ever so common framerate drops and lag, which are no doubt annoying - my game runs.... kind of fine? there are some weird visual gitches here and there for sure, and i've had kind of a scare today twice because it seemed like my game was about to crash but it froze for only a few moments, but otherwise things seemed to be fine.

that said, this isn't to say that the concerns expressed aren't valid, and i'm sure people have experienced myriad of technical difficulties (and i've even seen videos of the such happening) but they've never really occurred for me. maybe i've just been fortunate?

The visual fidelity is low, to begin with. Some areas are very bland (especially certain cliffsides and cities).

Even PLA has stronger visuals, and those were definitely regarded negatively compared to those of BotW/Xenoblade/DQ, etc.

The main problem is obviously the amount of framerate-issues as well as slow menus, glitching backgrounds/floors, low-res and bugged shadows and more. But the games are far from 'beautiful' in 95% of the areas.

I've had the background glitch out on me several times. Sometimes I can see landscape not fully loaded in a corner of my eye, but only for a very short moment. On Tuesday in fact I had a really strange glitch. I was riding on Miraidon towards a hilly area, and for a split second I could see a blue-ish grid where a hill was supposed to be. Felt like I was in the Matrix lol.

Thankfully I haven't had any crashes (yet). I've been stuck in the ground a few times, but the game will correct itself by turning to a black screen and repositioning your character.

Needless to say this has been the most broken Pokémon gameplay I've ever experienced, and then I'm lucky that I haven't encountered any of the more crazy glitches and issues.

Needless to say this has been the most broken Pokémon gameplay I've ever experienced, and then I'm lucky that I haven't encountered any of the more crazy glitches and issues.
Which is funny because people like to claim that Gen 1 is the buggiest generation of all. In reality though, a ton of the bugs in Gen 1 have to be actively sought after and many have incredibly arbritary steps that can only be discovered if you actually are trying to find them (like the Old Man Glitch to find Missingno). And from experience i never ran into any graphical glitch and it sure never crashed.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom