• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 100 Song Showdown - Video Games Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
fantasy life was okay 6/10
y u no pick dark cloud 2?
9/10
the reminiscence themes in any ace attorney game are awesome. 10/10
not as good as the main galaxy theme or bowser's galaxy generator. 6/10
heard of it, didn't find it appealing, but a good song nonetheless. 8/10

Time for some opinions completely unaffected by nostalgia or memories, because I don't know any of these!

Pounding Life Guild - 8/10. Uematsu, huh? Kinda hard to go wrong with that guy. Nice energetic song right here.

The Djinni Dran - 8.5/10. I like that chord that keeps repeating throughout. Gives it a shot of urgency.

Recollection ~ Forgotten Legend - 7/10. Not bad, but not amazing.

Space Junk Galaxy - 8.7/10. Soothing. Sounds like something I'd hear in interworld space. I could listen to this for a while, actually. That piano's quite pretty.

Kingdom of Ixa'taka - 10/10. The percussion had my head nodding to the beat almost immediately. Then all the whooping calls and flutework reminded me of the end of Return of the Jedi. That's a good thing. All it needs is a triumphant choir in the background...

Last edited:
71. Fantasy Life - Pounding Life Guild: 8/10 (Wow, I like this. It's really catchy and energetic, and would be perfect music for a hero's journey.)

21. Dark Cloud - The Djinni Dran: 5/10 (I really liked the beginning, I really did. It sounded like it was leading up to something dramatic. Then it all went downhill and felt really generic to me. Still solid, though, and at least it isn't grating on the ears.)

74. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Recollection ~ Forgotten Legend: 10/10 (Finally, one of MY submissions show up! Anyway, I nominated this theme because it's really sad and mysterious at the same time. It plays when the events of Phoenix's disbarrment are mentioned. It brings to mind, how could this happen, and why to freakin' Phoenix Wright?! Just listening to it makes me feel depressed, so kudos to this theme.)

62. Super Mario Galaxy - Space Junk Galaxy: 10/10 (I really like this track. It's atmospheric, and just listening to it makes me feel like I'm exploring the unknown depths of space. It's so moving to me, although to be honest I can't place my finger on why.)

88. Skies of Arcadia - Kingdom of Ixa'taka: 7/10 (It's solid, I guess. It feels really happy and upbeat, but it kind of wears on you after a while. I do like how it brings to mind grand festivals and just general bliss.)

71: 5/10 Meh.
21: 8/10 because personal bias.
74: I just find this one uninteresting for some reason. 5.5/10
62: I don't really like it. 4/10
88: 8/10

71. Fantasy Life - Pounding Life Guild 7/10 Interesting!
21. Dark Cloud - The Djinni Dran 7/10 It's pretty good.
74. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Recollection ~ Forgotten Legend 7/10 Didn't really grow on me too much.
62. Super Mario Galaxy - Space Junk Galaxy 9/10 Very relaxing, the piano is really nice.
88. Skies of Arcadia - Kingdom of Ixa'taka 9/10 Sounds very festive and exciting.

• 71. Fantasy Life - Pounding Life Guild ~ 7/10
    's got a nice upbeat beat to it.
  • 21. Dark Cloud - The Djinni Dran ~ 9/10
    That one woman wail at the beginning, gotta love it. I also like that chord BlackOsprey pointed out for the same reason she cited. The piece is pretty solid, seems fitting for a boss fight.
  • 74. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Recollection ~ Forgotten Legend ~ 8/10
    Haunting and mysterious.
  • 62. Super Mario Galaxy - Space Junk Galaxy ~ 7/10
    Very serene, fitting for a leisurely journey through the galaxy. I sort of wish the pulsating tone at the beginning wasn't quite as strong.
  • 88. Skies of Arcadia - Kingdom of Ixa'taka ~ 8/10
    Festive, it evokes images of dancing and merriment.

Fantasy Life - Pounding Life Guild: Just an all right song at first, but then gets quite catchy, once it grows on you. Kind of reminiscent of those old PC platforming games to me somehow, now that I think about it. 7/10

Dark Cloud - The Djinni Dran: Kind of sounds like there's a foreboding omen to it. I like it. 8/10

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Recollection: Ooooohhh... Haunting music in an Ace Attorney game. Decent, but doesn't really do much for me. 6/10

Super Mario Galaxy - Space Junk Galaxy: That's soothing, yet also somewhat haunting at the same time. Awesome tune. I could listen to that for quite a while. 9/10

Skies of Arcadia - Kingdom of Ixa'taka: Now THIS is excellent festive music. Sure gets me in the mood to get into the groove with it. 9/10 (Yeah, one of my own submissions gets a 9 this time) (I still need to replay this game some time)

Last edited:
I'm finally here! Here's my scores:

71. Fantays Life - Pounding Life Guild - 7.5/10
21. Dark Cloud - The Djinni Dran - 8/10
74. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Recollection ~ Forgotten Legend - 7.5/10
62. Super Mario Galaxy - Space Junk Galaxy - 9/10
88. Skies of Arcadia - Kingdom of Ixa'taka - 9/10

Final scores:

71. Fantays Life - Pounding Life Guild - 7.2
21. Dark Cloud - The Djinni Dran - 7.65
74. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Recollection ~ Forgotten Legend - 7.75
62. Super Mario Galaxy - Space Junk Galaxy - 7.77
88. Skies of Arcadia - Kingdom of Ixa'taka - 8.35

The winner of this round is Skies of Arcadia - Kingdom of Ixa'taka! Here''s the songs for round 6:

87. Final Fantasy - Chaos Temple
38. Pokémon Black & White - Ending
86. Divine Divinity - Main Theme
84. Okami - Seiankyou Nobles Quarter
33. Super Metroid - Intro Theme

Oh, and before I forget again:
@PokefanGaming; @Flopunny; @BadAssGardevoir; @PaulTheProtist; @Chibster; @Trainer Gabriel; @Tyrfing; @Kakuna Matata; @Slife; @BlackOsprey;

87: Better then I expected from the name alone, 6.6/10.
38: I totally don't get why ^ gave this one such a low score. 7/10
86: 5.1/10 - It starts off good, but it feels like it tries to build to something that it just doesn't reach.
84: I'm totally not just giving it a 7/10 because it's Okami music, why would you think that?
33: 5/10, Might have be higher if it didn't loop so soon.

Chaos Shrine- 8/10. I have a certain bias towards this one, thanks to that main tune that picks up a minute in. I played Theatrhythm FF like you wouldn't believe, so I've listened to the Chaos Shrine song so much, it has grown on me.

Ending (Pokemon Black and White) - 10/10. You know, the first time I beat Black, I was expecting a leisurely-paced, sleepy ending theme like usual. I still remember how it just blew me away. It was (and still is) incredible. It's the conclusion to an epic story. Oh my memories.

Main Theme (Divine Divinity) - 5/10. More like redundant redundancy, amirite? I don't really know about this game. The tinny-sounding tune that keeps playing throughout sounds a bit stiff, but the ominous voices keep it eerie and interesting enough, I suppose.

Seiankyou Nobles Quarter - 8/10. Yep, just about everything Okami screams "TRADITIONAL JAPANESE," even to an uncultured type like me. I like the percussion, the chimes... y'know, everything that gives it a very oriental vibe.

Intro Theme (Super Metroid) - 8.5/10. Old-school, huh? Not bad at all! The low, rhythmic bass makes me think of Terminator, the eerie interjections give it a very creepy feeling, and the riff that pops up every now and then sounds like the preamble to a sci-fi action movie. Fits what the game's about, I guess.

87. Final Fantasy - Chaos Temple - 9/10 This was quite beautiful!

38. Pokémon Black & White - Ending - 8/10 There are better songs from BW.

86. Divine Divinity - Main Theme - 6/10 Not really much to say.

84. Okami - Seiankyou Nobles Quarter - 10/10 Finally another one of my submissions! This is one of my favorite songs from Okami ever! I really love how it's like gagaku (traditional Japanese Imperial Court music). It fits perfectly considering it plays in the Noble's part of Sei'an City and the instrument that the song starts off with (which is called a Sho) is just beautiful!

33. Super Metroid - Intro Theme - 9/10 One of the best SNES themes!

Last edited:
87. Final Fantasy - Chaos Temple ~ 10/10
It has a mystical vibe to it and it's quite soothing, very lovely. It's something I'd associate with a water-themed temple, no a chaos-themed one, at least in it's usual portrayal. But this is coming from someone who doesn't know what chaos means to the FF series.​

38. Pokémon Black & White - Ending ~ 9/10
Probably my favorite piece from BW, it's the most memorable one for me.​

86. Divine Divinity - Main Theme ~ 7/10
I've said it multiple times already but I dig the one woman wail and the choir that kicks in later on. Compared to other songs so far it's much more reserved and sort of... lacking "omph?" It still gives off a hallowed vibe, very fitting given the name of the game, but it doesn't have much power behind it. That said, this is the main theme/title screen music, so there's no dynamic scene to associate it with that it needs to add a punch to.​

84. Okami - Seiankyou Nobles Quarter ~ 8/10
Very elegant, which makes sense when provided with this information:
This is one of my favorite songs from Okami ever! I really love how it's like gagaku (traditional Japanese Imperial Court music). It fits perfectly considering it plays in the Noble's part of Sei'an City and I really love the instrument that the song starts off with, which is called a Sho.
It really starts to get going for me at 2:38. I like the raindrops and the chimes throughout the piece.​

33. Super Metroid - Intro Theme ~ 8/10
It sounded more like a fantasy theme than sci-fi at the points with the trumpets, not that that's a bad thing. And again, the wailing to up the eeriness, always good. I've only played about 30 minutes of a Metroid game but it seems a fitting tune for a space bounty hunter facing a hostile planet full of enemies alone.​

Two of my submissions in one round this time? Well, here we go:

Final Fantasy - Chaos Shrine: One of my favorite tunes from the FF series. Always thrilled listening to this in the chaos shrine and the mermaid den. I especially love the piano notes. 10/10

Pokémon Black & White - Ending Theme: Rockin' Ending theme, for a Pokémon game. Solid, but not one of my favorite themes from B/W. 7/10

Divine Divinity - Main Theme: (still the most redundant title I've heard for a video game) Don't know the lyrics one bit, but this was interesting to listen to while selecting a character. Kind of peters down a bit toward the end, though. But I really like it. 8/10

Okami - Seiankyou Nobles Quarter: Hm. Not bad, I suppose, but I just don't really find it too exciting. 5/10

Super Metroid - Main Theme: The trumpet doesn't seem to fit Metroid to me, somehow, and I'm not too fond of the drums after a while, but I do at least like the eerie wail. 6/10

Sorry I wasn't able to participate in the contest for the last couple of rounds. Lots of things happened.
87: 7/10
38: 10/10
86: 7/10
84: 6/10
33: 8/10

Ah, sorry I've been busy lately. Consequently, I won't be able to justify my ratings, but I can at least quickly give them.

87 - 9/10
38 - 9/10
86 - 5/10
84 - 7/10
33 - 6/10

Okay, we have 8 votes now. With me, that goes up to 9, so I think that's enough.

My scores:

87. Final Fantasy - Chaos Temple - 7.5/10
38. Pokémon Black & White - Ending - 9/10
86. Divine Divinity - Main Theme - 7/10
84. Okami - Seiankyou Nobles Quarter - 7/10
33. Super Metroid - Intro Theme - 7/10

Is it me or are most of these tracks a little boring?

Final scores:

87. Final Fantasy - Chaos Temple - 8.4
38. Pokémon Black & White - Ending - 8.1
86. Divine Divinity - Main Theme - 6.12
84. Okami - Seiankyou Nobles Quarter - 7.3
33. Super Metroid - Intro Theme - 6.8

Final Fantasy - Chaos Temple is the winner! The songs for round 7 are:

19. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Main Theme
55. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - In the Final
22. Dark Cloud - Main Theme
94. Chrono Cross - Voyage ~ Another World
49. Mother 3 - Mr. Batty Twist

@PokefanGaming; @Flopunny; @BadAssGardevoir; @PaulTheProtist; @Chibster; @Trainer Gabriel; @Tyrfing; @Kakuna Matata; @Slife; @BlackOsprey; @CakeFairyForever;

19 - 8/10 Memorable flute like tune.
55 - 6.5/10 Like it but it is not the best song from the game.
22 - 7/10 Pretty basic sounding walking/traveling music to me. At least that's what I assume it played to in game.
94 - 9/10 Very pretty. Reminds me of dream/memory sequences in games.
49 - 1/10 Absolutely hate this one. I would never be able to finish playing whatever portion of the game this is from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom