• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Yep, but then the Switch has to wait longer to have a Pokémon game. It's not difficult to see why Nintendo would want to be able to boast a Pokémon game for the Switch as soon as possible, so we have here our choice: either Pokémon stays on a fading console that they'll be leaving in two years maximum anyway, and deprives the Switch of a great resource, or they can get accustomed to the Switch right now on a largely disposable game that will still sell plenty and be a great thing for the Switch to be able to offer.
They could have brought Gen V onto the 3DS, yet Gen 6 were the first core Pokemon games to meet the 3DS, and that was 2 years after it launched. I see Game Freak doing the same thing.

They have to make the switch (pun intended) at some point, I'd rather they do it now and practice how to make a Switch game with a game that is already done for the most part, than having to focus on making a new game and still learn how to make it compatible with the Switch. Remember XY with pretty graphics but a story that left to be desired? Let's avoid that please.
First, crap loads of respect for stupid puns :). Second, as I said above, they did that in the past, why not again.
Whether Switch is going to be the new home for Pokemon or not, I don't see the series ending anytime soon, as it's at its strongest right now. So ending the franchise is definitely not an option.

They could have brought Gen V onto the 3DS, yet Gen 6 were the first core Pokemon games to meet the 3DS, and that was 2 years after it launched. I see Game Freak doing the same thing.
That wasn't the best of moves and the 3DS didn't need Pokemon to be recognized as the DS' successor. In contrast, I'd say that the Switch needs Game Freak's support to be viewed as the 3DS' successor, and it would be risky to wait 2.5 years into its lifetime for that.

And let's not forget that the 3DS could play DS games, and B2W2 actually had an extra feature exclusive to the 3DS (Dream Radar). The Switch can't play 3DS games and that is not a minor problem.

Last edited:
That wasn't the best of moves and the 3DS didn't need Pokemon to be recognized as the DS' successor. In contrast, I'd say that the Switch needs Game Freak's support to be viewed as the 3DS' successor, and it would be risky to wait 2.5 years into its lifetime for that.

And let's not forget that the 3DS could play DS games, and B2W2 actually had an extra feature exclusive to the 3DS (Dream Radar). The Switch can't play 3DS games and that is not a minor problem.
What I think Game Freak is doing is to see how successful the Switch can be. If it flops, then we'll stick to 3DS. If it's good, then start a new generation maybe on it. The Switch not having the 3DS gaming capability is a major problem in a way as now you are stuck with 2 handhelds, and people usually just sell the older console.

I don't know if Game Freak will ever bring Pokemon onto the Switch, but hey, at least Fire Emblem looks promising.

If it flops, then we'll stick to 3DS. If it's good, then start a new generation maybe on it.

It'll be all the more likely to succeed if it can offer a Pokémon game early on.

Ugh. I hate having to repeat myself, but that is what happens when there are 5 threads on the same topic:

Without a doubt, the Nintendo Switch is the future, but we’ll have to wait until it comes out on the market and study how Pokémon can benefit from it. When the people have it, we’ll have to see and deeply study how it’s used in order to then think about how the next entries of Pokémon will be and how the saga will be able to benefit from this new console.
Sure, Masuda is not saying that development for the Switch is already ongoing (which he can't really admit), but he is definitely saying that the Switch is the future. Do you honestly expect the next generation to be stuck on the 3DS? The system has basically been pushed to its limits.

The 3ds may have been pushed to the limits but it's still selling like crazy,SM just officially became I think it was the fastest selling Nintendo games of all time and in alot of regions ( most notably Japan) the 3 DS is still the biggest selling system.

I talk crap against the switch but I have nothing but respect for the DS line,to me personally it's the best buy out there with the biggest library to play.

With it still being a huge seller I could see a duel pokemon release but I doubt the next game won't be on 3ds,with its install base and it's huge sales it'd be stupid to only release on switch.

It'd be really smart by Nintendo to release one version on 3ds and one on switch,if there was somehow a way to trade between.

Keep your sales up with the 3ds's install. Base and help move switches,but the next game is most likely already in development so I'd say 18 is the soonest we see it on switch.

But hopefully they make a 4ds or whatever and keep the main games off their terrible home consoles

Ugh. I hate having to repeat myself, but that is what happens when there are 5 threads on the same topic:

Sure, Masuda is not saying that development for the Switch is already ongoing (which he can't really admit), but he is definitely saying that the Switch is the future. Do you honestly expect the next generation to be stuck on the 3DS? The system has basically been pushed to its limits.

It seems as if Game Freak is waiting to see how the Switch sells.

It seems as if Game Freak is waiting to see how the Switch sells.
I don't buy that. They can't know how the Switch sells until they actually give their fans an incentive to buy one, and a third version is hardly a big risk.

Regardless, any game after this year will definitely be released for the Switch.

I don't buy that. They can't know how the Switch sells until they actually give their fans an incentive to buy one, and a third version is hardly a big risk.

Regardless, any game after this year will definitely be released for the Switch.

I would prefer they wait till Gen VIII to ditch the 3DS.
I dunno how the fan base would react to having to change their device mid-generation.
I dunno if there can be a third version instead of a port.
Will the time be set 6 hours before or after your RL time?
And if the Switch can't communicate with the 3DS, transferring your monsters would be an issue.

Also, when a device becomes unsupported, do they cut the Internet for it?

Releasing pokemon solely on switch is the same as giving up on the 3ds and they won't do that till it quits selling.

Nintendo prides themselves on having a home and handheld market and their overconfident,there will be a 3ds successor but the question is will pokemon stay handheld or be on both.

Keep in mind the Wii u flopped and Nintendo didn't pull out the big guns and release pokemon on it,just because the switch is a mobile tablet don't mean pokemon will be on it

Second, as I said above, they did that in the past, why not again.

Because that resulted in XY: not a very good game in many eyes. And BW2 wasn't just a third version, it had a new story, new characters, etc. So focusing on that and on making it for the 3DS would've been hard and we would've had to wait on that game for a long time. But if they had used a third version of BW to practice with the 3DS first, they would've gotten all the 3D models and all already and could've focused on a better story for XY.

However, I think they didn't do that because the transition from DS to 3DS was a big one, they had to turn a sprite world into a 3D world and just making all those moving 3D Pokémon models must've been a lot of work. Back then it was a better idea to just release another game with a slightly different story as selling point on the DS, it was the fastest and best way to earn money while they worked on finishing XY.

But the move from the 3DS to the Switch is a lot less big; they can keep all the models and everything, they just have to optimize it a bit so it looks good on a television screen and works on one screen (which they already worked on by using the bottom screen a lot less than usual in SM). Third versions already sell a lot less, as they're basically the same game as the previous one, especially if it's also released on the 3DS. But if they release it on the Switch with better graphics, being able to play it on the television, maybe following Pokémon, etc, that's already a reason for people to buy basically the same game again. And as I said: they can use it to practice with making a game on the Switch, so when they're working on the next new game, they can focus on the story.

they did that in the past, why not again.

Why not continue HMs? Why not continue Gyms? Those points have proven that GF don't stick to the mentality you mentioned

The 3ds may have been pushed to the limits but it's still selling like crazy,SM just officially became I think it was the fastest selling Nintendo games of all time and in alot of regions ( most notably Japan) the 3 DS is still the biggest selling system.

I'd like to see you rant when we receive a Gen VIII game on the 3DS which lags at every step.

Will the time be set 6 hours before or after your RL time?

Pokemon Stars is a CODENAME. Pokemon SM's codename was Rainbow. For all we know Stars could be Solar Eclipse and Lunar Eclipse with the 12 hour difference.

My opinions.

As of there point the only evidence we have thatt he Switch would be primarily a home console is Reggie's interview. Something done for PR sake and there not trustworthy by nature. Likewise we have no concrete evidence that the Switch would be anything but a hybrid console (of course by that margin we don't have much to say it will be a hybrid either, but the design itself might be proof enough for now). And that the focus on its console functionality would be due to that its the bigger market in either 1 one 3 categories:
  1. Demographics: How many people are console gamers
  2. Sales: How much money is made by sales.
  3. Budget: How much money is needed to produce a console game.

Under that premise, it would be logical to assume that Pokemon games would have no choice but to go there, regardless of if its the core series or not, but much like the jump to Polygons, this jump would be a permanent one.

You see if the Switch sells well, the other 2 companies would want to jump ont he bandwagon as well (as an example of history repeating we can look at the Kinect and Move being attempts to copy Nintendo success with the Wii). What that means is that the Switch would kill off traditional handhelds in the very likely scenario of its success.

Now what does that mean for Pokemon? Well first off its a one way path as I mentioned before. That means that they might have to compete with the likes of people who only buy games because of their graphics, the Call of Duty crowd if you will. While this does not mean they have to sacrifice their aesthetic, it does mean that they would have to step up their game compared to past titles. But something like this should be easy to maintain as long as they do not go at it like another Battle Revolution (and by that I mean by not ripping models from gamecube games).

However another issue with this is Compatibility. That Nintendo is implimenting a paid subscription service implies that they are gonna change their infrastructure regarding the internet. As the Nintendo network and the Nintendo Wi-Fi services were free. Whether or not Pokemon takes part in this or becomes one of the rarest of exceptions, Nintendo will upgrade soon. This means that after a while, much like the DS games, the 3DS's internet will cease, and with it the Pokémon on the Cloud Storage app, Pokémon Bank, making transfer from V to VI or VII as well as I to VII impossible. In essence a lesser repeat of III's initial scenario. To draw an (spoilery for those that never seen The Legend of Korra) analogy. It would be like when Korra loses the connection to the previous Avatars, both ion that reaching the past becomes impossible and that it would happen in the middle, not the beginning. To elaborate, this means that the Pokemon in Generation 8 would move between versions of the same generations, but they can only move forward, and the path to VIII will be closed off for good eventually.

Lastly will be the matter of the UI: Since Gen IV, Pokemon had used 2 screens, but as the Switch only uses 1, they would have to go back to having the UI options on the same screen as the battles. The menus would likely go back to a Gen III-IV style, a vertical column on the right side, but they would still have to design the battle to accommodate 4 options.

The Teal Deerling:
  • Pokemon may have to improve their graphics
  • There would likely be time locked communication between 7 and 8, and the 3DS' internet would fade eventually.
  • There would be a shift back to Gens I through III' UI.
Of course the first few points depend on if they want the series to be played while the Switch is docked, and if its possible to forbid a certain "mode" of the switch form playing certain games.

Here's some footage of the Switch's touchscreen. It apparently only works with certain games and no stylus is needed. Perhaps Pokemon games won't even require the Joycons, making them optional?

The streamlined way in which you dock and undock the system also makes it a non-issue that you can't use the touchscreen in docked mode.

Pokemon Stars is a CODENAME. Pokemon SM's codename was Rainbow. For all we know Stars could be Solar Eclipse and Lunar Eclipse with the 12 hour difference.
mindblown
Here's some footage of the Switch's touchscreen. It apparently only works with certain games and no stylus is needed. Perhaps Pokemon games won't even require the Joycons, making them optional?
even more mindblown

Though I think if the games ever do get to the Switch the Joycons work better

The Switch would probably sell better with Kanto sequels than a Sun and Moon third version. Nostalgia. :p
Sure, but brand new games take time to make, especially for new hardware. They can release a third version in the meantime.

I think that a 3DS successor with HD gameplay will be released. I'd call it the "HDS".
You're describing the Switch if you ignore the fact that it can connect to a TV...

They might release a portable-only version of the Switch, but it would share the same games and wouldn't be considered the "true" 3DS successor. The second screen is gone for the foreseeable futue.

They might release a portable-only version of the Switch, but it would share the same games and wouldn't be considered the "true" 3DS successor. The second screen is gone for the foreseeable futue.
Well we have no definite proof the Switch is the "true" successor to the 3DS. Nintendo is weird, sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom