• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
He said that they're considering a successor. They said the same thing about the GBA. Unless the Switch is a complete failure, there will be a portable-only variant of it at best.

All these vague comments from Nintendo don't change the fact that Masuda, the director of Game Freak, referred to the Switch as the future.

He said that they're considering a successor. They said the same thing about the GBA. Unless the Switch is a complete failure, there will be a portable-only variant of it at best.

All these vague comments from Nintendo don't change the fact that Masuda, the director of Game Freak, referred to the Switch as the future.
But as I said before, we don't know side game or core series, and it doesn't matter if Game Freak doesn't make them

But as I said before, we don't know side game or core series, and it doesn't matter if Game Freak doesn't make them
Of course it matters.

Communication is very important for Pokémon. Where and how our players play is something crucial. For example, in Japan the kids go play in the park and in each others’ houses, connected by playing their portable consoles. In Japan portable consoles are far from dying, in fact they’re doing better than home consoles. For that reason it’s important that we maintain the best possible communication, the medium that the people use to unite and connect to play.

Without a doubt, the Nintendo Switch is the future, but we’ll have to wait until it comes out on the market and study how Pokémon can benefit from it. When the people have it, we’ll have to see and deeply study how it’s used in order to then think about how the next entries of Pokémon will be and how the saga will be able to benefit from this new console.”

Do you really think that the two paragraphs pertain to differrent game series? Because the main series are the only Pokemon games where communication is important. The word "saga" in the last sentence is synonymous with the main series.

I should note that Masuda was very clear about the Wii and Wii U not being appropriate for the main series. But even two years ago, he hinted at a future home console being considered:

Masuda said:
But there are a lot of people who want a home console version, we know. Especially now with internet features that let people battle and trade. But the way that handhelds allow people to come together... if we could figure out a way to make that happen on consoles it would be an option on the future, but right now that’s just not possible. If you've ever been in the audience at the Pokémon World Championships, that's my ideal for Pokémon, all these people gathering together and playing with each other. If there were a way that a console could enable that, it might be an option, but right now, handheld it is.
What possible excuse do they have not to use Switch, which does make that vision possible?

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the best you can hope for with a 3DS successor is a stripped down version of the Switch without a dock, pretty much serving as the Switch's 2DS. They likely want a combined lineup, so they're not going to come out with a completely different handheld with its own games, if there's enough of a demand for a handheld only unit they'd probably just release it as a different model of the Switch.

Do you really think that the two paragraphs pertain to differrent game series? Because the main series are the only Pokemon games where communication is important. The word "saga" in the last sentence is synonymous with the main series.

Hmmm. Shuffle needs communication for events. Bank needs communication to work. Rumble World need connection for some goodies.
And saga. Makes me think of Colosseum and XD, but with communication

Many possiblilities. Many possiblilites.

And Shuffle is just a F2P game. Same goes for Rumble World. Not exactly something you can easily compare to the main series games.

And with all the sales data pointing to pokemon being the primary mover of 3ds both recently and around the XY,Oras launches it dosent look good for a Pokemon game on switch.

Absolutely nothing On your post proves that Switch will be bad for Pokemon (or vice versa for that matter). In fact, your point strengthens Stars, by proving that it can provide Switch a sales boost, which is what Nintendo wants desperately.

Bank is a main series app. It literally has no use other than to act as a periphery to the main series.
Still needs wifi, unlike Box Ruby and Sapphire, which was on the GameCube and acted like Bank.
And Shuffle is just a F2P game. Same goes for Rumble World. Not exactly something you can easily compare to the main series games.
That just proves my point about sidegames having communication

Also, as I said before, I never said Pokemon will not come to the Switch. I just believe it will in Gen 8, and not Stars.

Still needs wifi, unlike Box Ruby and Sapphire, which was on the GameCube and acted like Bank.

And that's not the point. You were using it as an example of a game that uses communication but isn't part of the main series. I'm saying that it more-or-less is a part of the main series, since its only use is as a companion feature to them, and that Game Freak would care about it whereas they would not care about other spin-offs.

And that's not the point. You were using it as an example of a game that uses communication but isn't part of the main series. I'm saying that it more-or-less is a part of the main series, since its only use is as a companion feature to them, and that Game Freak would care about it whereas they would not care about other spin-offs.
1. They don't care for spinoffs? Then why do Mystery Dungeon still exist? If they truly don't care, you probably would've never seen a Mystery Dungeon game after Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. In fact, so far since Generation III there has been at least one Mystery Dungeon game. And yes, Game Freak may not have control over how it is made, but they still bother making sure that these games sell good, and not some Sonic Boom mumbo jumbo.
Not just Mystery Dungeon, there's Rumble and the Box applications (though not a game), as well as some more "beloved" but currently not in production ones like Ranger, Pinball, etc.
Finally, as I said before, now certain spin-off games require wifi for some goodies. Would the spin-off companies even bother making it exist? Which brings me to...
2. Bank may not be a main series game, but it still requires wifi. This proves that main series games aren't the only games/applications that have a wifi feature. You just prove my point saying that Bank wasn't part of the main series, yet it still needs wifi to even store Pokemon, meaning that without wifi, it wouldn't work and we'll have to do what the previous box programs did
3. Had Masuda specified that it would be main series games on the Switch. I don't doubt it coming onto the Switch, but I do doubt it coming in on the current generation. Communication? Tackled by side games and application. Saga? Well, proven before that side games have sagas, too. There really is no evidence on what Masuda is talking about.

Absolutely nothing On your post proves that Switch will be bad for Pokemon (or vice versa for that matter). In fact, your point strengthens Stars, by proving that it can provide Switch a sales boost, which is what Nintendo wants desperately.
Your only seeing it from your point of view of wanting switch to sell.

Yes it would help switch but I'm talking about how pokemon has helped sell Nintendo's handheld consoles and how Nintendo still aloarey intends to keep a separate handheld console after the 3ds.

They could use pokemon to sell switch but then what would sell the 3ds's successor? If the switch is a true hybrid why have a separate handheld line at all?

We're still waiting to see if Nintendo is going to have their handheld ip's on switch,and with them already thinking of a 3ds successor it dosent look good to see the handheld IP on switch

3. Had Masuda specified that it would be main series games on the Switch. I don't doubt it coming onto the Switch, but I do doubt it coming in on the current generation. Communication? Tackled by side games and application. Saga? Well, proven before that side games have sagas, too. There really is no evidence on what Masuda is talking about.
Masuda has no job of developing Spin-Off games, so he dosen't have to mean them in the interview. It is a 20% chance that he meant spin offs in the interview.
He is in charge of the main series, and since spin offs are more-or-less independent from him, he will not be probably hinting one. And Spin offs are bound to be made for Switch, so, it is not a necessity to speak for them.

Yes it would help switch but I'm talking about how pokemon has helped sell Nintendo's handheld consoles and how Nintendo still aloarey intends to keep a separate handheld console after the 3ds.
A handheld isn't confirmed. What has been confirmed is that they are considering a successor. And if they start developing now, it could take as long as 3 years for it to launch. What I can see is a Switch minus the dock acting as a 'handheld', and games would be made both for it and the 'full' Switch.

Masuda has no job of developing Spin-Off games, so he dosen't have to mean them in the interview. It is a 20% chance that he meant spin offs in the interview.
He is in charge of the main series, and since spin offs are more-or-less independent from him, he will not be probably hinting one. And Spin offs are bound to be made for Switch, so, it is not a necessity to speak for them.
Exactly. He's in charge of the main series, but he needs to at least know which 3rd party producer will make the side game. And Spin offs being bound to be made for Switch? Well, that's what I interpreted from Masuda.
A handheld isn't confirmed. What has been confirmed is that they are considering a successor. And if they start developing now, it could take as long as 3 years for it to launch. What I can see is a Switch minus the dock acting as a 'handheld', and games would be made both for it and the 'full' Switch.
Actually that's an interesting plan, if Nintendo goes with it. Kinda like FE 2018 and BOTW.
I gave it a bit of a thought, and I realized that the Switch actually allows console games to be played on a handheld, as it's currently its main function. Going vice-versa... well no games have done that yet, as FE 2018 is Fire Emblem's return to console, and Masuda despite confirming Pokemon on the Switch haven't said main series or spin-off. We'll wait and see.

Exactly. He's in charge of the main series, but he needs to at least know which 3rd party producer will make the side game. And Spin offs being bound to be made for Switch? Well, that's what I interpreted from Masuda.
But he dosen't need to announce spin off games. In fact, he said that there will be no games for Wii and Wii U, and we got Spin offs, so, he clearly dosen't talk about spin offs when referring to 'games' for a console.

and Masuda despite confirming Pokemon on the Switch haven't said main series or spin-off. We'll wait and see.
Spin offs are actually obvious, since they've launched them for every Nintendo console so far, and it isn't his business to refer to Spin Off development.

But he dosen't need to announce spin off games. In fact, he said that there will be no games for Wii and Wii U, and we got Spin offs, so, he clearly dosen't talk about spin offs when referring to 'games' for a console.
He did not announce spin off games. He's just saying Pokemon will be on the Switch. He didn't specify which type
Spin offs are actually obvious, since they've launched them for every Nintendo console so far, and it isn't his business to refer to Spin Off development.
Then why didn't he just said "main-series" games? It leaves a lot of room for speculation.

He did not announce spin off games. He's just saying Pokemon will be on the Switch. He didn't specify which type

Then why didn't he just said "main-series" games? It leaves a lot of room for speculation.

Not really, he's part of GameFreak and therefore it is extremely safe to assume he means the game series, which GameFreak makes.

If it was said by someone from Spike Chunsoft, it would mean Mystery Dungeon. If it was said by someone from Creatures, Inc., it would mean Ranger. But it was said by GameFreak, and therefore probably means the main games. I think you're highly overestimating how much control GF has over side games, I think they mainly just give their permission for the game existing and that's it. I don't think it's on them to decide which games are made and on which platform, that's for the companies making them to decide.

Not really, he's part of GameFreak and therefore it is extremely safe to assume he means the game series, which GameFreak makes.

If it was said by someone from Spike Chunsoft, it would mean Mystery Dungeon. If it was said by someone from Creatures, Inc., it would mean Ranger. But it was said by GameFreak, and therefore probably means the main games. I think you're highly overestimating how much control GF has over side games, I think they mainly just give their permission for the game existing and that's it. I don't think it's on them to decide which games are made and on which platform, that's for the companies making them to decide.
I never said they were deciding which games are made on which platform. I'm saying they at least need to know the game that they are producing are spin-off games or else they will copyright, like Pokemon Uranium. This is how Masuda knows there will be spin-off games on the Switch, and, since it's still technically part of the Pokemons series, he can talk about it.

Back
Top Bottom