• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The blandest, most unoriginal, most boring Pokemon of each generation?

V Faction

Froakin' Hilarious.
Reaction score
Hey folks, let's keep this simple. What do you consider to be the most boring, most unoriginal, blandest, forgetful, worthless, whatever you want to call it, Pokemon designed by Gamefreak for each generation?

Keep it clean, don't just straight-up bash a Pokemon you hate. Give it some thought and tell us your reasons if you'd like. Try to keep it to one evolutionary line. If you feel it's just a single Pokemon or the Pokemon is part of a cross-generation evolutionary line, just add the single Pokemon you find to be the blandest (etc. etc.). Multiple Pokemon per Gen. are allowed but keep it reasonable. We're trying to bring out the best (or is that worst) in our Pokemon!

Ready? Gooo!!!

Generation 1: Voltorb/Electrode
I never found the Voltorb family to be all that original, in both design and evolution. You've heard of people getting on the case of certain Pokemon for just being larger versions of their previous forms when they evolve. Well, Voltorb takes the cake. It gets fatter, flips upsidedown, and gets a big ol' grin slapped on.

Generation 2: Igglybuff and Cleffa
Pre-Evos, also known as baby Pokemon, get a lot of slack. It's no wonder, since they're generally weaker than their existing forms and offer little in the way of variety when choosing to utilize them in some form. Most of the baby Pokemon in Gen. II I can let slide, but these two are absolutely mind-boggling to me. A deflated Jigglypuff and a de-tailed Clefairy. Just what were they thinking.

Generation 3: Plulse and Minun
Ah, the poster duo for double battles. What's more clever than a Pokemon with a positive charge and a Pokemon with a negative charge that can power up each other when paired together? Too bad compared to most other Gen. III Pokemon they fall pretty short. Electric rabbit heads sewn on to beanbags is more like it. And let's not mention the incredible Pichu/Pikachu vibe they exhume. Most forget to ever make an attempt to use them as their functionality is lessened versus a foe 1-on-1.

Generation 4: Budew and Mantyke.
Another set of Pre-Evo Pokemon, this time with questionable origin. Two Pokemon with two different baby variants: one looks like a smaller version of Mantine. The other is a weaker version of an already weak Pokemon. Other baby Pokemon of this Gen. IV can at least attest to cuteness (Mime Jr.), creativity (Bonsly), or logic (Munchlax). I can't think of anything that would save these two.

Honorable mention: Bidoof, because, c'mon, it's Bidoof.

Heatran
The thing's meant to be a volcano-related Pokemon, but it's Fire/Steel. Kinda like they just wanted that type combination.

Pachirisu
I don't get its point.

Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf
The most boring legendary trio yet.

Leafeon
Concept good, name bad.

Note: I don't hate any of the Pokemon listed above. Just saying... :|

Aww V, you done gone and took most of the ones I wanted to call out. That ain't too neighbourly!

Anyway, lets get this Grave-E train a' rollin'.

Gen 1; Dugtrio
Diglett was already sort of pushing it a little, what with basically being Weedle's face on a brown blob, but Dugtrio goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to 1st gen laziness. Concerning 3 for the price of one deals, Magneton isn't much better, but at the very least, it can be explained away with the whole magnetism deal, while guys like Weezing and Dodrio actually go through some form of physical change. Dugtrio literally is just Diglett plus two, and there's no rhyme nor reason behind it.

Gen2; Umbreon
Unlike most, I’m not suckered in by puppy dog eyes or colourful canine critters. I just can’t help looking at Umbreon and thinking to myself: “It's a black dog. That glows in the dark. That's it?
It doesn't have any special powers, abilities or unique traits that separate it from any other quaprapedal canine-esque pokemon other than that. The appeal flies right over my head, and off t'ward the golden sun/silver moon.

Gen 3; Azurril
Extremely weak (an 'armless Marril, if you will...heee.) and essentially getting by with a gimmick that involves nothing more than sitting on it's own tail and looking doey-eyed, Azurril encompasses all that could possibly go wrong in the creativity department when it comes to siphoning the previous success of a predecessor. Let’s face it, it’s just a bottle of Marril lite.

Gen 4; Mantyke.
Same argument as Azurril, effectively. Though it does get a one up on it's mousey rival for having a hillarious name! Man? Tyke? Unfortunate connotations are bliss. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=man+child

Gen 1: Venomoth. While not necessarily bad, I never really found anything interesting about it that wasn't covered by Butterfree and Beedrill, and I liked later attempts at the same concept much better. Venonat avoids this on account of being adorable.

Gen 2: ...Yeah I think I have to go with Igglybuff and Cleffa here too.

Gen 3: Poochyena's line barely avoided this on account of becoming marginally more interesting in DPP, so this spot goes to Silcoon/Cascoon. While I like Beautifly and Dustox quite a lot, Silcoon/Cascoon pretty much exemplify "not even trying".

Gen 4: Again Burmy's line just BARELY missed this one due to having a unique gimmick. So, Finneon. I like Lumineon's design enough to keep it off here, but it's first form has nothing going for it and they have very few defining features besides being a worse Goldeen/Seaking.

Golden. As my friend said on the creation of Golden

"OMG! We need a Pokemon in 5 minutes! I got a gold fish. That's genious! Put it in! Put it in!"

1st generation:
Caterpie. It's a caterpillar with few quirks in its appearance and that's about it. Metapod almost gets mentioned in here too, but not quite. As much as I like Butterfree and its various abilities to inflict status damage, its first form is completely useless and annoying to train if you don't have something like Exp. Share with you.

2nd generation:
Unown. Yay, you can do cool writing with its different forms, but that's about it for me at least. I ended up catching every form in Silver when I was bored and after I was finished, all I could do was wonder what the heck am I supposed to do with a box full of Unowns. Nothing. Except to try desperately brag about catching every single form in hopes that someone would even pity me.

3rd generation:
Zigzagoon. I get easily annoyed of Pokémon that show up in the beginning of the game and are the only way to train while you're on your way to the first gym. Also... a raccoon? Oh c'mon, you guys could've done better than that. Not to mention that it's one ugly raccoon...

4th generation:
Pachirisu. Sure it's cute, but it's just an electric squirrel that is not useful in anyway. It's supposed to be an electric type, but by leveling up it only learns _two_ electric moves in Pearl - other moves are normal. A true disappointment.

This looks like fun, so I´ll do my list too:

Gen 1: Pidgeot

I wanted to put Muk on the list, then thought about it and almost put Dugtrio up there...but Pidgeot still bores me more. It is a slightly bigger Pidgeotto with larger feathers on its head-crest. Wunderbar...
I was never fond of the flying types of gen 1 and 2, but Pidgeot is just a big eagle with a few colours thrown in.

Gen 2: Igglypuff

Just read V Faction´s post. Cleffa was also an option to me, but I find it cute at least...they are both poor Pokémon though.

Gen 3: Azurril

I admit, this generation is my favourite one and it was kinda hard to select one of those critters. While Lovecus is useless in battle and bland looking I like the pokédex entries for it and the heartscale thing it intruced, while Plusle&Minun are poor man´s Pichu in the end I still like the colour scheme of Minun and their double battle gimmick.
All of this doesn´t mean much and those Pokémon are eventually crap to me, but Azurril is still worse. It is a crippled Marill with a silly typing and lame moveset.

Gen 4: Mantyke

I wanted to put Chingling on my list due to my disappointment in chinggy. I really like Chimecho and wanted an useful evo of it, but all we got was a very weak baby that had a funny design and an epic German name at least.
So Mantyke is the only other Sinnoh Pokémon left to put on my list. When the only cool/funny/creative thing about a Pokémon is the methode of evolving it you just know something went wrong.

Gen 1, Tangela: This one was kinda hard ... but Tangela get my vote. It's just a meaningless mass of vines. It's ironic because I quite like Tangrowth. But Tangela just seems ... boring and pointless

Gen 2, Sunkern: It's not even based of a plant but the SEED of a plant. with the worse base stat total. (Yes perfect Pokethlon stats BUT that's only 'cause it needs some form of use.) It just makes no sense ... and i'm not even sure where in Johto you can get them.

Gen 3, Beautifly/Dustox: This is the best example of both being unoriginaly and utterly lazy. Both Butterfree and Beedrill outclass these two ... in fact even Luvdisk is better. Both of these pokemon have no redeeming features or stats.

Gen 4, Happiny: Why did Game Freak think that the overweight eggnurse need a baby form? And what does Happiny add to the move pool for Blissey? I don't see the point in the time and effort it took to make Happiny when they could have made a Farfetch'd Evo.

The low level butterflies, birds, etc. Gen 1, 3, and 4 all have them and dont we have enough already??

gen I. geodude & so forth
the geodude line can be fairly powerful, i s'pose, but that doesn't change the fact that they're just rocks. =_=

gen II. remoraid
what is this i don't even ಠ_ಠ

gen III. fuckin spinda D<
/immeasurable raeg

gen IV. bronzor/bronzong
are they good pokemon? idk. all i know is that they're boring as hell. it's like they were just drawing random geometric shapes on a page and were like HEY LETS MAKE THIS INTO A POKEMON
[i actually thought the majority of gen IV pokemon were unnecessary & boring, but bronzor & bronzong just came to my mind first]

Gen 1 was probably Magnemite since he don't really evolve it's just two more friends of his clinging onto him on electromagnetism

Gen 2 was maybe Ledyba since it isn't much of a battler despite his cuteness!!

Gen 3 was maybe Zigzagoon since it doesn't learn too much good moves at all

Gen 4 was perhaps Bidoof and Starly since it's like another version of the occasional runins of Rattata and Pidgey back in Gen 1

GEN I: Taruos is a bull with three tails.

GEN II: Stantler is a reindeer.

GEN III: Beautifly is just Butterfree.

GEN IV: Finneon/Lumineon are so bland that they are not mocked.

Grave-E said:
Aww V, you done gone and took most of the ones I wanted to call out. That ain't too neighbourly!
Haha, sorry Gravy bud, but those critters are a might-bit too dangerous to be left without mention.

Dugtrio literally is just Diglett plus two, and there's no rhyme nor reason behind it.
Sometimes ANGRRRARY Digletts.

Galactic Tomahawk said:
While I like Beautifly and Dustox quite a lot, Silcoon/Cascoon pretty much exemplify "not even trying"
Silcoon and Cascoon were my choices after Plusle and Minun. At least Metapod and Kakuna have a huge contrast in body color, m'i'rite?

Karuna-tan said:
Yay, you can do cool writing with its different forms, but that's about it for me at least. I ended up catching every form in Silver when I was bored and after I was finished, all I could do was wonder what the heck am I supposed to do with a box full of Unowns. Nothing. Except to try desperately brag about catching every single form in hopes that someone would even pity me.
Tell me about it. On my Gold and Silver cartridges, I'm pretty sure I caught... oooh, about 5 different forms before I said screw it. Respect to them for trying something unique.

TeddiUrsa said:
I wanted to put Chingling on my list due to my disappointment in chinggy. I really like Chimecho and wanted an useful evo of it, but all we got was a very weak baby that had a funny design and an epic German name at least.
Oh wow. I totally forgot I was going to put Chingling on my Gen. IV list. Well if that doesn't speak volumes about it I don't know what will...

Gen 1: Electrode. Voltorb? Okay, I can handle one Pokemon mimicking the most common object in the Pokemon world. But an evo of it that's bigger, has a smugger face, and is turned upside down? No.

Gen 2: Porygon2. It's literally Porygon, Web 2.0 style. It's just a smoothed-out Porygon. I bet THAT one took a lot of mental energy to think of.

Gen 3: Tie between Azurill and Swalot. Azurill is a minimilist Marill. Swalot is a bigger, purpler, more mustasched Gulpin. Yawn.

Gen 4: Budew. It's literally pointless. It learns no moves that make it worth evolving it into Roselia instead of just catching a Roselia, its design is just a little round bud-thing with a smiley face on it, and in the games you can catch Roselia just a few routes after Budew is available. Rip-off!

Gen #1,
Doduo and Dodrio. Two/Three-headed ostrich? It just didn't excite me.

Gen #2 & #3,
Most of the "baby" Pokémon.

Gen #4,
Bidoof and Bibarel. Pretty self-explanatory, no? I actually laughed the very first time I came across a Bidoof.

Gen I - Ditto (it's a pink blob)

Gen II - Sunkern (it's a seed)

Gen III - Glalie (I don't know why)

Gen IV - Tangrowth (Tangela with arms), Rhyperior (dunno)

I'm going with aesthetic design here.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom