• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Start Ups The Kalos Invitational

Status
Not open for further replies.
((Grabbing his balls... Permit me to say that I laughed at this.))

"Well, guess that ain't happening." Volo remarked as he noticed the official put the kibosh on Blake's idea. That said though, it would have definitely been interesting to see such a battle if he had been given the all clear. He decided to head over and witness Blake's new battle next.

(Permission granted.)

The Ace sent out what appeared to be his prize Pokémon - a huge one, looking capable of crushing a boulder in its hands.

"Nice Rhydon!" Blake said, as he tossed out his Umbreon, which sparkled in the bright sun.

As the two were about to begin battling, a shady figure watched from afar.

"Yes... this should prove interesting..." he said as he crawled into the shadows.

Meanwhile, things were heading off with a bang as Umbreon's Shadow Ball collided directly with Rhydon, but it seemed to have little effect.

"I was hoping that would do more damage, but... hit it with Foul Play!"

As fast as he could, Umbreon charged over to perform the attack.

"It? IT?! My Rhydon is clearly a female! So take a Bulldoze to the face!"

The attacks collided, sending Umbreon flying.

"Umbreon! You alright?" Blake asked, picking him up.

"Y-yeah... just heal me up..." he said.

'What', you ask? 'Blake can understand Pokémon?!'

Yes, he can. His Braixen didn't want to evolve, so somehow she released so much psychic energy that his mind established a link of some kind allowing him to speak with Pokémon.

Of course, Blake used a Super Potion, and Umbreon was healed up.

"Kid, there's NO WAY you'll ever beat my Rhydon, okay?" the Ace Trainer shouted.

"You forgot I'm just getting started! Iron Tail!"

Umbreon threw an Iron Tail while the opposing duo was distracted, and scored massive damage on Rhydon.

She started getting weary, so Blake had Umbreon use another Iron Tail, which finally ended the fight.

"Yeah! Umbreon, you're the best!" Blake shouted as Umbreon jumped in his arms.

"Man... my 20-foot Rhydon defeated... by a kid?" the Ace said, returning the giant to her Ball.

With that, Blake headed for a Center.

Rin herself was trying to avoid a battle, mainly because she knew some of the other trainers weren't above using it as a weakness. Still, that ultimately couldn't have been avoided. A rather brutish man was already challenging the seifuku-wearing girl to a match.

He sent out a rather mean-looking Pangoro. With a little smirk, the young teenager sent out Izhar, her prized Noivern. This would be a walk in the park.

While walking around Prism Tower, Mick notices another battle going on.
"A Noivern? You don't see that Pokemon here often," he thinks, as he walks over to see the battle.

"Alright, start with Aerial Ace." Rin commanded, the diminutive girl bouncing lightly on the balls of her feet. The dragon-type lunged forward, easily landing the attack with unmatched speed. The Noivern managed to avoid a Stone Edge, twisting in the air behind the massive fighting-type. With simple eye-contact, Izhar knew what was next. In anticipation, its speaker-like ears begun to glow blue, as an ear-shattering shockwave was released onto the unassuming Pangoro.

At first, it looked like the attack did nothing. Then it fell forward, landing face first on the ground with a loud thud. As the brutish opponent returned the Pangoro to its Pokeball and stormed off, Rin simply beamed at Izhar, not bothering to return the dragon-type. She preferred walking around with her Pokemon, anyway.

Volo couldn't quite hide his excitement at the rare Flying type, but he was soon challenged by another trainer and had to attend to them now. His new opponent sent out a fearsome looking Scolipede, a Pokémon species that certainly wasn't new to Volo.

"Fearow, the air calls!" he declared as he sent out his choice. It had occurred to him that Swoobat would have been a stronger choice against the Bug/Poison type but he wanted to save her for the actual tournament and keep her capabilities unknown for the time being. The said bat would remain on his arm throughout the exhibitions.

The Scolipede immediately charged at Fearow with a Megahorn and dealt the first hit but it didn't faze Volo. He commanded Fearow to take off and use Tailwind, soon putting the Pokémon out of reach from those horns. A Poison Sting was the best his opponent could call in response, only for the needle projectiles to be torn up with little resistance by a Razor Wind that sent the Megapede Pokémon staggering upon impact.

"There's your chance. Sky Attack." This battle was very much in the bag...

With the tournament that would likely define the future of all those who competed in it close at hand, most trainers would be either resting up, carefully planning strategy or even practicing in exhibition battles nearby the tournament site. They would not be at the same bar they had been at for nearly twenty-four straight hours, eyeing a single cup of beer halfway across a table. But Ricky Fowler was no ordinary trainer. He was a man of many talents, a Rapidash racer, a surfer, a skater... he lived life on the edge and even hours before the start of a serious competition he saw no need to act any differently.

"So it's fifty thousand if I sink this!" He announced triumphantly. He'd been running the table for hours now, the local barflies had been constantly betting against the interloper... only to see their investments continually lost. One double or nothing bet had snowballed and now a very decent chunk of change sat on the edge of the bar. Ricky looked around, his blue eyes scanning the dark room. "The only question in my mind is if someone is going to try and double me again for the whole pot." He mused, bouncing the ping-pong ball in his right hand against the table once. He eyed his shot carefully, practicing the motion that had become second nature over the past few years. "Count it." He said upon releasing the ball. Without even watching the flight of the projectile, Ricky swept up his money, slid a couple of bills off the top to cover his tab and headed for the door. With a smile on his face, he heard a soft splash and then the bar erupt behind him. Chuckling at how easy it had all been, he threw up his hands before sweeping out into the fresh air.

Freya's battle had been raging for a fair time now, the Grass/Dark type opponent was unfortunately the perfect type to counter Emma. A few Agilities and Emma's Speed Boost later however, and the Shiftry was having a hard time actually landing any sort of hit.
"Come on Shiftry, Leaf Blade!" The Shiftry rushed towards Emma, bringing its arm back to strike.
"Emma, Waterfall, you know how." Emma's body became surrounded by water. The Sharpedo quickly rushed underneath the Leaf Blade attack, before quickly turning around a slamming into the Shiftry's back. This looked to finally be too much for the Shiftry to handle as it collapsed, spirals in its eyes.
"No! Shiftry!" The trainer called out as he returned his Shiftry to its ball.
"It wasn't that bad, you were predictable though, attack less, guard more." Freya offered as a piece of advice before tossing a Pokeblock to Emma as a reward for the battle. "Now that that's done, let's see if I can find any others to gain a leg up." She mused as she walked away.

Natalie was just outside of Prism Tower a snicker on her face. She was bored with all the exhibition battles, just a bunch of trainers with no hope of making it into the tournament trying to take their chance by defeating those that were invited, and failing.

She was different though, as her opponent, some guy that got the last spot for the tournament was about to learn. "Xabrina, dodge and use Psychic," she commanded with a smug expression as her Metagross avoided another attack by her opponent's Umbreon, who desperately tried to hit it with a barrage of shadow balls. The Metagross flew around swiftly enough though, spinning its limbs and dodging the shadow balls effortlessly.

"Goddamn it, why can't I hit it!" the guy called out in frustration, clenching his fist. 'You really think I'll just lose to some girl after I finally got my spot, I've been training years for a chance like this!"

"Whatever loser," Natalie shrugged, sticking her hand out into an L sign before turning around. "Meteor Mash," she stated as her Metagross proceeded to slam its claw down onto the Umbreon as hard as it could, sending it flying up into the air and bouncing around the floor mercilessly. Its trainer stared at it, dumbfounded as the shock quickly dawned in, along with the realization of what this meant. "Hmmmm if the rules right then," Natalie began to turn back around, tapping on her chin with a sadistic grin on her face. 'This means I just made into the tournament, aren't I lucky?" she laughed, returning the Metagross. 'Thanks loser, you made my job a hell of a lot easier, now where can I get a soda?"

While most people would be prepping their Pokemon for battles or celebrating, Luna Hunter was watching other matches. She was inspecting the matches, figuring out the battling styles, and mentally deciding on which moves would be good to counter those Pokemon. Her Espeon was sitting in her lap, her tail twitching slightly.

"You know you can't predict their movements this far away," Luna chuckled.

Rin settled for wandering about the tower just a bit longer, sipping on some orange juice she got from a nearby vending machine. She turned her gaze on the teal-colored Sound Wave Pokemon, smiling as she pat Izhar on the head. "Don't you worry, Izhar. I know you'll do great. Can't disappoint ol' Lenny, now can we?"

There was a sizable turnout for the events of the Kalos Invitational. Many battling nuts, fans, barflies, and betters were there taking in the battles. It was a grand occasion for everyone involved. Most importantly were the talent scouts that came to scan the scene, looking for fresh faces to latch onto. Many of the talent scouts ranged from moderately well-known to utterly obscure.

Well, all except one. Tessa Cadecia was a big name in the battling circuits - her agency was one known for producing some of the best battlers on the planet. It was not necessarily the oldest, but it was by and large the longest-lasting. This success didn't go entirely to her head; while she was definitely a seasoned battler, she knew that a lot of the kids here were geniuses in the art. That's what she was after; young ones with the passion and skill to become the best. It was a competitive world, after all.

A lot of the battles she saw were well-done, though nothing really stuck out. Some were close, a lot were just stomps by clearly superior battlers. No, she wouldn't make any preliminary decisions until she saw the others.

"I wonder if any of them have a Legendary," she said out loud. A lot of people were looking her way; it was to be expected, not that it really bothered her. She wasn't here for the crowd; she wanted to see the local picks.

His battle now cleared up, Volo was getting a bottle of water that he'd packed for the occasion while passing a Sitrus Berry to Fearow. It wouldn't be any good if trainer or Pokémon wore themselves down before the main event. He'd heard a small bit of gossip about one of the invitees actually losing an exhibition battle and was counting himself very lucky that he hadn't run across that bystander...

Volo hadn't spotted any talent scouts but this was to be expected. They didn't sound like the kind of people to make themselves so conspicuous unless necessary. He had his contingency plan in place should his endeavor in the tournament create little attention anyway...

Recalling Fearow after he had eaten his berry, Volo then spotted Rin and her Noivern and decided to strike up a conversation, Swoobat remaining on his left arm and water bottle in his right hand. "Hey, good battle back there." he said after approaching.

OOC: I've decided to make Jay my Co-GM. Also, its showtime.

Amidst the noise and excitement, an announcement could be heard bellowing from a nearby intercom.

"Attention. All Tournament Entrees and VIP personell, please report to the Prism Tower entrance for registration."

Michael's eyes lit up upon hearing the announcement, leading him to immediately turn around and run towards the building.

"Thank you, yours was great as well!" She complimented with a grin, pulling out another juice box as she approached the entrance of the Prism Tower. "Good luck in the tournament, mister!"

"You too!" he called before following her.

"Well, it's time. You ready?" Volo asked Swoobat, her response being to gently nibble his fingers in an affectionate manner to reassure him. "Good girl." With that out of the way, the Prism Tower loomed over them...

"Hmph, typical. I try to watch for some strategies, only to get roped into a battle that takes the whole time. Well, I guess it can't be helped. Emma, if you would?" She asked to her Pokemon.
"Pedo." The Sharpedo replied as she returned to her ball.
"Well, I suppose this is it." Freya mused as she began making her way to the tower.

Thomas sucked up the last of his juice, standing up from the bench and stretching his arms out. "Guess there's no practice for us, is there, Sid?"

The Sableye only chuckled, crushing his juice container and tossing it on the ground.

"Sid, what did I teach you?" The boy pointed one hand at the container, the sableye begrudgingly picking it up and walking to the trash can, throwing it away.

"Good boy," Thomas said, pulling out the pokemon's pokeball and recalling it. With that, he began to head to Prism Tower, placing his headphones on and hitting a button on his media player. "Got no manners, and I'm not too clean, but I know what I like if you know what I mean~"

Touko turned her head slightly from the announcement and began walking to inside the building, noting the people that were following her in the goal to enlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom