• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The most unoriginal nicknames ever.

I used to name EVERYTHING I caught. The worst one was a cacturne I named urine. The pokemon on my main team don't have espeacialy interesting names. Except Felinus, my MewTwo. I'm kinda proud of that one.

Now, I only name those on my team, and each game has a theme. In platinum, gemstones. In soul silver, long, pretty names. And in sapphire, Nimbus, Toxin, Obsidian, Petal. And that's all I can remember.

oh, and any god
Roman, Greek, norse, all of em

I don't think naming after gods and creatures of mythology has to be unoriginal. Certainly the more popular ones (major gods) get used in nicknames extremely often and could be unoriginal, but there are so many other gods to be used. I for one have a Pokémon named Lempo, which is an ancient god, and I can bet not many have the same nickname.

Anyway! To the topic of unoriginal names I've used. Pretty much every male Ekans I've ever had was named either Liquid or Solid.

(Heartgold)
Bulbasaur - Bulby
Mudkip - Kippy

[may change nicknames later]

Well, my first shiny was a bronzor, and I had trouble finding a good nickname for it. I decided up with "Shiny" because that's all I could think of at the time. Not my most original moment.

shroomish called Mushdick, slakoth simply called Lazy (didn't really suit it as vigoroth though...)

What nicknames do you think are overused?

I like nicknames for my pokemon. However, I find it rather annoying when I run into people who have the same nickname for their pokemon as the last few people. Originality is what makes nicknames special. What do you think some overused nicknames are

Some names I find overused are:

Sparky for a pikachu/raichu
Blaze for pretty much any fire type
Kat for a meowth
Burnie for a fire type.

Re: What nicknames do you think are overused?

I barely see nicknames on any pokemon these days but most I've seen are Fireball, Mouser, Squeaks, Lappy, and Bingo

Sparky, Inferno, Aqua, Rocky, Drake...mainly type specific.

things that are decribing the obvious physical characteristic

Rex on each starter just because someone's (specific friend) first starter was named Rex. It just about never makes sense!

When I was nine and I got my first Pokemon game (Crystal) I was really bad at coming up with nicknames so pretty much all of them sucked miserably. Here are the worst:
Feraligatr- Suprsoakr (I'd named it something else when it was a Totodile but I can't remember what it was)
Pidgey- Flyer
Caterpie- Wormer
Venonat- Nocturnal
I got more creative with R/S/FR/LG and all of the other games I've gotten since then, but now I just use human names as nicknames. And something I do in EVERY game (I guess you could say it's a tradition) is that I name my Sandshrew Sandy. Yeah not creative but at least it's easy to remember ;-P

Lols I remember nicknaming my Pikachu in Yellow: Turaved! Lol I have no idea why

Although the cutest one was a female Riolu named Ryuara in a online baby pokemon battle

Shadow the *dark-type Pokémon*

Also, when I caught a Tentacool in HeartGold to use as a Water HMs Slave, I couldn't think of a nickname for it (I wanted it to have a nickname so I could identify it as an HM Slave), so I ended up calling it 'Water HMs'. Water HMs the Tentacool. Yeah.

I nicknamed my Jigglypuff "Pink". Yeah, I have no idea why I did that, especially considering the fact that I'm 27 years old!

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom