• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

~The Power Within [R]~

Reaction score
Somehow this keeps getting lost in time. Anyway, Bits and Bobs of this story are inspired by my life. I’m gonna proof it up ‘til chapter six since before that I referred to Pokemon as “It’s” rather than “He’s” or “She’s”. It’s my first ever fan fic *and going pretty well on TPM* Many of you have read this before and some haven’t but I hit Writers Block and need inspiring ego boosting reviews to get me back in my stride *nice evil smirk*. I’ll post a new chapter day-by-day until I get you guys up to date. Feel free to post no matter how far you get *so if I’ve posted 10 chapters and you’ve only read two just post your opinions and state you’ve read only to that point*

Chapter 1 - Friend or Foe?

"I want to be in another place, I hate when you say you don’t understand" - Linkin Park, A Place for My Head

The world renown Captain Stern was eight days into his expedition. At least three hundred miles under the surface of the Sootopolis ocean, currently navigating Water Route 127, the submarine ‘Searcher 1’ had yet to discover anything, until now. Captain Stern stopped the submarine, gazing through the murky water the submarine lights stood still, revealing a large golden object. It was an egg, much larger than that of a normal egg, at least three times larger. “Um, Captain, don’t water Pokemon lay their eggs closer to the surface?” One of Sterns colleagues emerged behind him.

“Yes Jay, they do” Stern replied calmly, not allowing his excitement to show. He knew what this egg was, it was what he’d been searching for throughout the entire journey, although he didn’t inform his colleagues that this was his purpose. Stern slowly moved his hands over to a joystick, manoeuvring a submarine claw to pick up the golden object.

Several years later the egg hatched. A head popped out first. It was a white slender fur neck leading up to a cute shaped head. Her nose was a golden yellow and her ears stood at attention as if she was listening to the sounds of the lab. Her eyes were a sapphire blue glimmering as they adjusting to the outside world. She cracked the rest of the shell revealing a rounded body. It had two stick like sensors sticking out of her back. They were the same golden yellow colour as her nose. She had two small wing like arms of the same colour. Her body was the same white as her neck but as it went down to the stomach it became a golden yellow all the way down to her small feet. She had a sky blue triangle on her stomach and Professor Birch immediately knew what this Pokemon was.

“Ok class, please welcome Michael Hardy. He’s just transferred here from Cambridge High School.” The Teacher introduced a tall boy of fifteen. He had long black hair extending down his back. His eyes were a hazel brown. His skin was a tanned peach. He stood just shorter than six feet tall wearing grey trousers, a white shirt and a Maroon Blazer with a bird symbol on it. He stepped through the brown oak doors of the classroom. There was about twenty students in the class. “He’ll be joining us for today and will continue with us after the holidays. Do you prefer to be called by anything else?” a women of around thirty asked. Her hair a short chestnut brown, her eyes hidden by glasses.

“Most people just call me Micky” he replied in a low depressive tone. He never like going to school. He wished his dad had allowed him to go on a Pokemon Journey. His grades were good enough for allowing him to leave school when he was ten. However his dad was determined to make sure Micky became a lawyer or doctor or something else highly paid.

“Very well, Class, please Welcome Micky” the Women replied. She was clearly the teacher of the class. The students replied with hi’s and hello’s. Micky walked towards an empty desk near the back of the class. It was in a corner. The desk appeared to be made of plastic. It was grey and had steel legs. Micky sat through a two hour class on law. He was bored mindless but he knew he would pass the class by the end of the year.

After school ended Micky headed home. His school was just outside Lilycove City. A bustling Metropolis. Cars would zoom over the white stone roads. The pavements were always busy. Micky would have to squeeze through crowds of people on his way home. Buildings ranged from being one storey high to skyscrapers of twenty storeys. Lilycove was also home to the largest Pokemon Department store in the Hoenn region. If it was Pokemon related, it could be found in the Department Store. Trainers from all over the world would fly to Lilycove during a sales time when certain items were incredibly cheap. There was also an Art Museum which Micky’s old school had visited on school trips in the past. The thing that Micky loved the most about Lilycove was the beach. It was one of the main tourist attractions. The sand was soft on the skin. It gave a beautiful view of the horizon as the sun would set. Micky would usually do his homework on the beach until the orange glow of the sunset would come down. It was his favourite feature of Lilycove. This day he decided not to go to the beach. It was the last day of the week and now the Summer Holidays began. Eight weeks off of school.

Micky walked up the stairs to his room. He dumped his bags on his bed. He changed out of his school uniform and into a Red Shirt, black trousers bearing two red stripes on either side of his and wore a black jacket. He picked up a wallet and stuffed it into his pocket and then charged down the stairs jumping past the last few steps. He busted out of the door and slammed it behind it, his key attached to his wallet for convenience. He charged down the road which was empty of cars considering his neighbourhood was quiet. Micky immediately heard a screech from the air. “Pidegeottttttttt.” Micky turned to look at the sky. He couldn’t make out much more than the figure of a large bird since the rays of sun were blinding him.

“Heya Micky.” An immediately recognisable voice came from the bird as he landed.

“****, Peter?” A boy of similar age to Micky appeared riding the large bird. He had short ginger hair and ginger-peach skin to match. His eyes were a turquoise blue and he stood several inches above Micky. He wore a simple White and Red Jacket, a Black shirt with a Pokeball symbol on its front, and black trousers. Around his waist Micky noticed a white belt with six red and white Pokeballs attached, pretty generic Pokemon Trainer dress-style

“Yeah dude, hows you doing?” His voice was light and calm unlike Micky’s who was still in shock. He hadn’t seen his old friend Peter in five years since he left on his Pokemon journey. Micky had always been jealous and resentful of Peter. He felt he had turned his back on Micky when he left Lilycove five years ago although deep down Micky knew, had their positions been switched he would have done the same.

“Uh, I’m fine..” Micky wasn’t sure how to answer this. He was doing ok until his friend had shown up practically rubbing it in his face that he was a Pokemon trainer. “Uh, how you bin?” The reality was Micky didn’t want to hear this answer. He didn’t want to hear how happy Peter was about being a trainer and how he’d met so many new people who were so much better than Micky.

“I’m great. Being a Pokemon Trainer owns ***.” There it was, the first emotional bullet wound through Micky’s heart. He had missed an opportunity at happiness because of his dad. “Dude, you wanna see my Pokemon?” Micky did want to see his Pokemon but he knew it would be bullet wound number two.

“Uh, sure” Micky mumbling his reply to hide his resentment.

“Well, firstly, meet Pidgeot.” He directed his hand to the magnificent Bird to his right. He stood at a similar height to Micky. His eyes appearing to have a natural black eye-liner. His beak was pale, just like his wings which were spread wide across. On the outside his feathers was a pale oak brown but the inside feathers of his wings were a crème white. His chest and stomach were the same crème colour however the rest of his feathers were the pale oak colour. A giant Blood Red mane started from the roof of his head, extending finely down his back. Near the top there were bits of yellow on his mane that disappeared as it extended down the fine bird back. His tail was of similar colour, combination of Red and yellow feathers.

“Pidgeot” the bird chirped with glee.

“Erm, yo??” Micky replied unsure of how he was suppose to speak to this magnificent Bird that stood before him, staring him in the eye.

“Let me guess, you don’t know how to speak to Pokemon?” Yep, Peter hit the nail on the head, Micky had absolutely no clue. “Just treat them like they were people, they don’t need to be patronised.”

“Ok, hello Pidgeot, can you lend me some money” Micky spat sarcastically.

“Uh god. Anyways.” Peter reached down to a Pokeball on his belt, a generic computerised orb, the upper semi-sphere being a blood red colour, the lower being a cold lab white. A small white button lay in the middle of this device, designed so perfectly that when touched itwould expanded the ball ,the second time it was pressed it would release or withdraw it's respected Pokemon using a unique chip design built inside that converted natural matter into computer data. He aimed it towards Pidgeot withdrawing the bird to the ball. The transference was a strange spectacle. A beam of a see-through light red beamed at the bird. As it connected with the bird Pidgeot became a figure of the same see-through red colour. In a second it started to fold its shape and retract to the Pokeball.

“Anyway Micky, I can tell your not enjoying this much so…where the hell are you heading?” If Peter remembered his friend well, which he did, Micky would usually be heading towards the beach with his homework to get it done in the warmth of the suns rays.

“I was heading to Fortree city to watch Winonna do some gym battles. You know, like we used to.” Micky remembered when he and Peter were only eight or nine. They would hike up Route 120 to Fortree City bypassing several trainer battles, the so called ancient ruins of a Powerful Pokemon, and the beautiful River Tours. Those days were over though. Micky would trek up there himself. It was tiring with no one to speak to. The time used to fly by but now it went slower than ever allowing the pain of the several hour hike to synch in. Micky looked on the bright side of this. It made him physically fit over time and he was almost fully adjusted to hiking those several hours through the bumpy hills and tall grass.

“Cool, your going to Fortree? That’s my last gym.” Peter opened his jacket revealing seven glimmering gym badges. Gym badges were earned through defeating gym leaders of certain cities. A Pokemon gym was the one thing Lilycove lacked. “I was gonna go there today. Just came by to see my old mates first.” Micky got that sense of resent again. His friend had earned seven gym badges. It ****** him off so much that his father hadn’t let him leave on a Pokemon journey, he knew full well that had he left he would be way ahead of Peter in battling. He always picked up things faster than his friend, infact faster than anyone he had ever known, but with five years he now stood no chance of catching up to his friend. The only chance of him ever becoming a traienr was when he was eighteen, left home and completed school and college, and chances are his dad would force him into university.

“Uh, well guess we gonna hike up there together like old times then?”

“What, walk? Hell no. I have Pokemon remember. We can fly.” Peter removed two Pokeballs from his belt, throwing both to the concrete floor. With that two shapes appeared in the red glimmer. Micky immediately recognised one as the bird from earlier known as Pidgeot however the second one was unfamiliar to him. It resembled a huge dragon. As it took form into his genetic body he revealed himself to be a pale blue. He stood on all fours, much taller than Micky. His head was shaped with several spiked bones around it, the only thing hiding them from sight being red skin. The wings of this beast were a blood red. He bore eyebrows of the same colour. His neck and stomach were a dark crème, almost like crème had been placed over the blue, looking so unnatural. He opened its mouth revealing sharp fangs looking to be capable of removing Micky’s head with one bite, before roaring out breath capable of making plants wilter from the reek. He had a long tail of the pale blue his body possessed which looked strong enough to crush Micky’s house with one swing. The beast let out a giant roar again shocking Micky stepping back several feet. “Don’t worry Micky. Salamance won’t harm you. Well unless I was to order him to.” Micky glared at Peter. He sounded serious and at that moment he feared him. Was he really that psychotic? “Dude I’m just kidding. Come on hop on Salamance.” Peter patted the giant dragon on its head before climbing onto his Pidgeot. Micky slowly made his way towards the intimidating Dragon. “Micky, he can smell fear, and he don’t like it” Peter pointed out cautiously.

“What so bravery is gonna cover up the smell of my tender flesh?” Micky replied sarcastically seeming to make the dragon chuckle. Maybe Micky's sarcasm covered up the smell of his fear since he showed no sign of disliking Micky as he clambered on, wrapping his arms tightly around the giant beast's neck.

“Ok, come on guys, head for Fortree.” Pidgeot flew up first leading the way, seemingly knowing where to head. Salamance followed with Micky gripping ever tightly. The flew high above the sky scrapers of Lilycove and Micky feared for his life knowing that one slip would make him fall to his death. As they flew Micky’s long hair dragged behind him. It glided in the air gracefully. Micky was enjoying himself at that moment. He had never experienced flying in his life but he was loving it. The wind rushing passed his face cooling his skin. He looked down below noticing the forests surrounding Route 120. Although he couldn’t see much more than the tall trees shading the ground below he knew all sorts of amazing creatures lived there, their loud cries and growls drowned in the speed of their flight.

They landed just outside of Fortree City only twenty minutes later. Micky thought of how little time it took these magnificent creatures to make it through a Route which took Micky several hours to transverse. “Well then Micky, time to head to the gym.” Peter pulled out the two Pokeballs which stored Salamance and Pidgeot and withdrew them. He then attached the balls to his belt and started walking towards the gym of Fortree. This city was unlike a normal city. Houses were built in trees high above the ground. There were wooden ladders for climbing up to the houses which were all allocated onto wooden bridges, almost resembling the streets of Lilycove. Each bridge had a street name and each house connected to the bridge had a number. No cars were in Fortree obviously which made the air pure and clean. People and Pokemon lived happily together in the tranquile comfort of the wooden paradise.

The cities gym was famed for Bird Pokemon as Micky knew well from years of watching the gym battles in the gym. Micky knew full well that Peter would need to use electric, ice or rock type Pokemon to take down Winonna’s elegant birds, moves of that sort being the most effective way to bring a bird to the ground. Peter stood outside the gym doors. They could here commotion within, cheers and explosions lit the whole city with sound. Micky pushed open the gym doors but was greeted with a huge beam of light. He dived out of the way just in time to avoid injury as did Peter.

“Impressive move Brian.” A women’s voice was heard from to the left of Micky. He looked over to see a tall women in her mid twenties standing just outside the battlefield of the Pokemon. Her hair was a dark brown and stretched behind her back with elegance. She wore white jeans, a blue shirt and a white scarf. Her eyes were a crystal colour and they gleamed to the other side of the battlefield, the graceful Winonna, one of the most skilled Pokemon trainers in the world, no easy challenge for any trainer.

“Why thank you.” A sarcastic voice from the opposite side of Winonna was heard. A boy of around twenty stood there gleaming back. He wore no shirt showing off a six pack that looked like it had been chiselled in stone. His body was tanned all the way to his head. He had short brown hair and beady black eyes. His trousers were tattered but Micky could make out black underneath the dust. Micky now glared at the battlefield. The first thing to catch his eye was a goose like bird which was a glimmering Blue. She floated in the air, surrounded by a something white and fluffy that can only be described as a cloud. This appeared to be the wings of this Pokemon which Micky knew as Altaria. On top of this birds head was three blue feathers of a slightly darker blue than the creatures body fur, a mane that trailed down her back, similarly to Pidgeot’s. The other Pokemon on the battlefield was human shaped. He was nothing like a human other than how he stood however. He had sharp pointy gold ears, a gold face, a sharp pointy nose just like his ears. He had a white moustache which curled downwards, it was two large clumps of golden-white hair, stretching down as far as his thin gold neck. From there his body became two thin legs, the kneecaps covered by brown plates that appeared to be armour on certain parts of his body; on his shoulders and chest as well as his knee's. In his human like hands he grasped two silver spoons. This Pokemon was a Psychic. The spoons were used to help this creature focus its psychic powers. He would practice on many occasions bending the spoons with his mind.

“Alakazam!” the man called. “Hit Altaria with an Ice Punch.” With that the human shaped psychic launched towards the cloud surrounded bird. His fist appeared to turn an icy blue as was the technique of this move. The spoon in Alakazam’s hand was no longer there, floating above his head, distracting the bird in a trance.

“Altaria, dodge it with agility” Winonna yelled. With that the Bird sprung out of the way of the punch with speed as she turned to watch Alakazam fall to the ground fist first. As he landed his fist seemingly shattered as the ice around it broke. “Ok Altaria, hit him with dragon breath.” With that the Altaria took in one deep breath and spewed green flames from her mouth towards the psychic Pokemon.

“Alakazam” the man screamed. “Tele…” He was too late to give an order. The green spew of Altaria was already upon the psychic. He writhed in pain trying to clamber to his feet. After several seconds of enduring the spew of dragon breath Alakazam was released, his body blackened from where the dragon had sprayed him. Alakazam clambered to his feet spoons placed in front of his face in a defensive position, but then, the Psychic fell onto his back unconscious. “Alakazam?” Brian cried loudly.

“Alakazam is unable to continue, therefore Winonna wins the match” a Man announced loudly. The crowd erupted in cheers for their gym leader as Brian rushed over the battle field to check on his psychic.

“Keep at it Brian, you done that battle” Winonna smiled as she said that to the trainer who had retracted Alakazam to his Pokeball. Winonna walked towards the back of the gym towards a set of double doors.

“Dammit Micky.” It was peter. Micky had completely forgotten about him since he was lost in the fight.

“What is it Pete?” Micky asked.

“I gotta wait until tomorrow before I get to fight her.”

“Seriously, stop *****ing dude, watch the rest of the today’s battles, pick up Winonna’s tactics and then find a way around them.”

“Dude, you sound like you know what your talking about?” Peter didn’t like how Micky had almost challenged him. Peter felt he was an experienced enough trainer to not need advice so he replied to Micky’s advice in a condescending tone.

“Dude, I’ve been watching Winonna battle since I was nine. You stopped after a year, she’s advanced in her tactics since you left. She aint a push over.” Micky was angered at his friends arrogance and stormed out of the gym, almost wanting to back Winonna rather than his friend.

“Where you going?” Peter questioned thinking Micky was gonna stay with him.

“Is it any of your business?” Micky was highly ****** off at his friend and at that moment he wanted to be left alone. He walked to the west of Fortree towards Route 119. This route was by far Micky’s favourite. It had a tall mountain were a river began. This created several Waterfalls that came crashing down to the River Flyer. He would normally climb up to the top of the first waterfall giving him a view of most of the route. Climbing to the top of the Mountain would take him almost the entire day. Although it wasn’t impossible, however it was seemingly pointless.

Half an hour past and Micky stood at the top of the first waterfall. There were several berry trees here and a few Pokemon stood by, licking water from the river. Micky wondered up to a large berry tree. It stood around about nine feet in the air and possessed large berries. Micky picked one. It was red and spiked. He peeled off the spikes revealing an oval shaped berry. It was soft and wet. Micky went to take a bite but spat it out immediately. “Holy **** that’s spicy.” His tongue felt like it was on fire. He dropped the berry and raced over to the water scaring off the few Pokemon drinking the water. He immediately started splashing water into his mouth hoping to rid himself of the taste. Suddenly something smacked right down to his side. It was a fish that appeared to have fell from the waterfall to Micky’s right. It looked to be a huge drop and Micky was amazed at the endurance of this fish. He was a rather large fish with Imperial yellow scales. His fins were white and he possessed a glum look on his face. His mouth was wide open revealing a red tongue.

“Karp, Karp, Karp” The creature cried flopping around on the river bank.

“Hold on little guy.” Micky tried to pick the creature up to place it back into the water but it was difficult considering the creature kept splashing out of his hands. Eventually Micky managed to push the creature into the river which seemed to please him. He turned to look at him as if to say thank you. “You’re a strange coloured Magikarp” Micky said. Most of the creatures known as Magikarp were a red or orange colour. “Hey you want some berries?” Micky questioned the creature who seemed to not understand a word of what Micky had said. Micky ran over to the tree and picked off three berries. They were the same spicy berries Micky had tasted before. He peeled off the spiked skin and fed the small fish the berry. It seemed to enjoy the taste and quickly finished it off. As Micky went to peel a second one the fish dived underwater in fear. “Hey, where you go dude?” Micky was shocked to see this fish disappear on him as he was feeding it, since being such a basic Pokemon, a basic thing such as food would be the highlight of his day.

“Grr, Hound.” A loud bark was heard behind Micky. He turned to see five dogs behind him growling. Each was black with brown chests and necks. They had bone white Horns and several similar coloured bumps sticking out of their back and ankles. Their tails were thin but became sharp points at the end. One opened its mouth to bark and it revealed a full set of large sharp teeth, appearing quite capable of ripping Micky’s arm right off.

“Uh, hi Houndooms, erm, you guys want berries?” Micky held out his hand in a feeble attempt to win these dogs trust but to no avail as one drew in breath. Micky knew flames would be coming out and he dived into the water. “Ok guys, just don’t…” Micky trailed off when he realised he wasn’t strong enough to fight the currents. He was being washed off of the edge of the waterfall and he could think of no way to stop it. The dogs barked loudly at him seemingly wishing he didn’t do that. The Houndooms wanted to eat him Micky believed.

Micky’s body washed off of the edge of the waterfall as he fell for about sixty feet. He tried to swing his body into a diving position so he would land more softly into the water that laid below but he failed. His body landed hard on the water smacking against his back and splashing water all over the place. He fell down to the bottom of the river, alive but in pain. His mouth opened releasing air and he tried to swim to the top of the river. He made no progress. He couldn’t swim any higher. He looked down at his feet and opened his mouth again in shock. A jellyfish like Pokemon was gripping at his ankles with his two tentacles. Micky saw no way out of this. If he didn’t do something he would drown but if he struggled the creature would surely secrete poison into his ankles. Micky thought for a moment and then kicked the creature in the head. He felt a sharp sting in his ankle and saw blood begin to release from his ankle. He knew the creature had unleashed toxins into his bloodstream and he had to get to people fast or he wouldn’t last long. As he swam to the surface his ankle went numb. As his head smashed through the water he breathed in air. It tasted so sweet in his lungs but he knew he couldn’t spend forever enjoying the air. For one that creature could grab him again and secondly he believed he was poisoned, although how bad he was not sure.

As he clambered to shore he was met with an unwelcome surprise. “Seriously please just **** off” Micky said out of breathe to the pack of Houndooms who had quickly made their way to the shore. Micky looked at his leg seeing the blood trickle from his ankle. The savage dogs licked their lips at this sight and Micky knew he had only one option. Run for it. With that he charged for the thick forests of Route 119. He couldn’t feel the pain in his right ankle through the numbness but it felt as though his leg would snap right off. He heard the dogs bark behind him. Micky was running for his life at a surprisingly fast speed. The dogs were catching up though. One slip up and Micky was dead. He dove into the forests maintaining his speed. He leaped over logs, mud hills and even Pokemon, although most had moved out of the way at the sight of the Houndooms. Micky had charged far but he’d reached the end of his run. He tripped over a tree root and the dogs pounced on their opportunity.

The dogs scratched and bit and Micky’s tender skin causing wounds that poured with blood. Micky tried to kick some away but to no avail. He rolled as fast as he could but the dogs continued to chase his body as it rolled until Micky came to a small cliff edge. He was unaware of it and fell about ten feet head first into a rock. His head cracked open and Micky knew he was done for. His face became a crimson mask as blood gushed from the left side of his head. Through the blood he could make out the figure of one of the dogs, followed by two others and eventually the last two. They had Micky trapped. His head in pain, his mind numb as he slowly crawled to the cliff edge feebly trying to back away from the vicious dogs. With that the leader of the back drew in breath. Micky knew a flamethrower was coming. ‘Of all the ways to die I’m gonna be a barbeque for a pack of dogs’ Micky thought. He didn’t bother to try and move since he knew he was as good as dead at that moment.

He gazed through the blood towards the dog waiting for the blaze to hit him. He closed his eyes but after a few seconds realised nothing had happened. He opened them and saw the five dogs laying unconscious on the ground. “Holy **** a Miracle” Micky gasped through his shivering voice. From there Micky noticed something float down to the ground from above the dogs. She was shaped like a bird but was much different. She had a cute round nose that became a golden yellow at the front. Her eyes were a glimmering sapphire staring towards Micky sweetly. She had two stick like sensors sticking out of her back. They were the same golden yellow colour as her nose. She had two small wing like arms of the same colour. Her body was the same white as her neck but as it went down to the stomach it became a golden yellow all the way down to her small feet. She had a sky blue triangle on her stomach and two tiny feet complete with only two feathered toes. She glared back at Micky. Was she friendly? Or did she want to eat Micky itself?

"Adrenaline keeps me in the game, Adrenaline, you don't even feel the pain." - Gavin Rossdale, Adrenaline

Author Notes: The event from my life in this is getting my head cracked open by a group of rude-boys. Who are represented by the Houndooms. Peter is based on my friend and more people I know will be inc in this story.

Yep, I finally got around to reading this. I'm lazy.

Although I found Micky's swearing to be a bit distracting, I liked how there was so much action in the second part of the chapter and the description of the spicey berries. Not much to say here, this being the first chapter and all.

Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom