• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Hatched a Shiny Cottonee this morning. Named the little guy Foliage. Here he is:
tumblr_mzpd3qo2N11r4q5fqo1_500.jpg

I've been playing since blue/red/yellow and have played every generation but never found a shiny that wasn't given to you. But while in Victory road a random shiny Graveller just popped up out of no where which was pretty cool. And Golem looks pretty cool shiny too! Maybe tipping those people mattered after all lol

Is there anything that causes a shiny to appear? I have absolutly no knowledge of shinies.. except that they must be shiny...

There is a 1/8192 (I'm pretty sure they changed that number in gen VI, tho) chance a 'mon will be encountered shiny. They are alternately colored and sparkle went sent out. You can just search it up on Bulbapedia if you want more in-depth stuff.

Oh yea, right 21st Century I completely forgot! That's a big and completely random number! Why not just 8000?

because 8192 is a power of 2, and the personality value is binary(as are IVs and TIDs)

I caught a shiny Patrat in my White version and it has a Jolly nature and it has 31 IVs in Attack so yeah a shiny of my favourite regional rodent.

So I'm sitting down in my living room with my parents and a few family members and I'm facing Azelf. I kill it. Good thing I saved beforehand as per usual. I enter battle once again. BLING! Holy mackinaw its fricking shiny Azelf. I have never found a random shiny before and to have it be a legendary made it even more surreal. So I jump up and Im freaking out and I draw some weird looks. Ha. I wasn't feeling very confident in my abilities to capture it as I have killed it before so I chucked my Master Ball at it. My friends and others think its fake which kinda sucks as it is a legendary shiny in a Master Ball but I know its real and that's all that matters. I never was an Azelf fan but it is now one of my more favorites just for the sentimental factor.

Is there anything that causes a shiny to appear? I have absolutly no knowledge of shinies.. except that they must be shiny...

There is a 1/8192 (I'm pretty sure they changed that number in gen VI, tho) chance a 'mon will be encountered shiny. They are alternately colored and sparkle went sent out. You can just search it up on Bulbapedia if you want more in-depth stuff.

Oh yea, right 21st Century I completely forgot! That's a big and completely random number! Why not just 8000?

because 8192 is a power of 2, and the personality value is binary(as are IVs and TIDs)

Heli, that's a nerd. Gimme a few days and I'll be as much of a nerd too though XD

---

Oh and it must be a power of 2 because the personalities determine wether it's shiny? and because brinary consits of 2 values! but still don't get IVs and TlD um 4 and somthing 1,100?

Last edited:

Heli, that's a nerd. Gimme a few days and I'll be as much of a nerd too though XD

---

Oh and it must be a power of 2 because the personalities determine wether it's shiny? and because brinary consits of 2 values! but still don't get IVs and TlD um 4 and somthing 1,100?

Any Pokemon you encounter has a hidden shiny value, if this matches up with your hidden shiny value for your trainer, KABAM! Shiny encounter. There are a lot of in-depth videos on YouTube about it you might wanna check out.

*squee* Just caught my third legit shiny! ♥ Today I got a shiny Petilil in one of my friend's safari's! ♥♥♥ She's sooo cute! ;D
92760.jpg
Super happy. ;D

I found a shiny growlithe while in the friend safari. Recently traded for a shiny DRAGONAIR which is now my beautiful green dragonite!

The encounter rate for shinies has been halved in Gen VI, so it's 1/4096 now. It's had a smashing effect for me, because I have 6 shinies in Y now, whereas I encountered only 3 shinies in all of my previous games (not counting Red Gyarados, the BW2 shiny dragons and the shiny Creation Trio).

I also got my first hatched shiny in Y, while I wasn't even trying :D
I'm now breeding for a perfect shiny Ferroseed, though. Still going strong!

Hatched shiny Mudkip yesterday,

Best shiny I have found, EVER

While EV training in Route 7, a Psyduck horde had a Shiny within. I did catch her after weeding out the others individually. Named her Sapphire.

Hatched a Shiny Elgyem earlier this morning while breeding some Modest ones to Wonder Trade to people. Named her Xylenis (trying to come up with a decent alien name for her).
tumblr_mzwg84GlaE1r4q5fqo1_500.jpg

EDIT: Also came across a Shiny Cubchoo in a horde, named him Nelvana upon capture. Had a Hardy Nature. 2 shinies in one day, both of them are Unova 'mons as well.

Last edited:
Was watching TheOneIntegral's Giveaway livestream, and towards the end I ran into a Lillipup in the friend safari. I caught it, of course. It's now a Herdier.

On Y, I found a shiny female Serviper in a horde, I thought my eyes were bugging out, but it was, caught her and now im raising her. A couple weeks later, while doing some training in the victory road near the entrance to the Elite Four, I found the Green Druddigon, a female lv 59. I was soo scared I was gonna knock her out cause all the others were a fair deal higher and I didn't have false swipe or super fang so I threw one dusk ball and caught her. Now lv 100

Last week, I was messing around with Wonder Trade, sending random weak pokemon or sending ones I had just received that I didn't like, well I found one that I am never getting rid of, a female shiny Aegislash lv 90. I couldn't believe it, I honestly still cant, even though she is now lv 100

I'm a Shiny Hunter. I started hunting shinies on my eighteenth birthday, 18 November 2013.

So far, I have caught 38 shinies in my Pokémon-playing history. The vast majority of them are in X.

The particular shinies I have encountered and/or caught are:

Emerald

• Makuhita (knocked out)

Platinum

• Steelix (knocked out)

HeartGold

• Golem
  • Unown (A)

White

• Swoobat
  • Golurk
  • Solrock