• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Situation Room 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a question: Is there a way to block outside people from voting?

EDIT: Outside as in "not a game participant".

Typically there is an option on the bottom of the poll for people who are not playing, as well as the host and dead players. Here is an example of a game on TS that uses such a poll. Even if people from outside the game abuse the poll system, which I've never seen happen on TS for the record, it is significantly easier to discount people who aren't playing from the votals than it is to manually gather them.

The ability to see the vote count at any time without having to constantly check each and every post outweighs any disadvantages, plus people tend to post who they're voting for anyways. Seriously, actually play a game that uses polls for voting, and you wouldn't be at all skeptical of them.
Okay, but the disadvantages are too numerous to ignore.

Typically there is an option on the bottom of the poll for people who are not playing, as well as the host and dead players. Here is an example of a game on TS that uses such a poll. Even if people from outside the game abuse the poll system, which I've never seen happen on TS for the record, it is significantly easier to discount people who aren't playing from the votals than it is to manually gather them.
No, no. I'm talking in this forum.

No, no. I'm talking in this forum.
Presumably we'd use the same system, in TS outsiders are not locked from voting but no problems have ever arisen from this, and moderator action can be taken if someone is abusing the system (which, again, I strongly doubt would happen). A couple of minor problems that might arise under the system do not outweigh the clear advantages.

Disadvantages such as? Also, have you even played a game that used a poll?
Voting patterns. Stealth votes. The time and energy to maintain such a system.

The only way to make a poll system work would be to do it the way Mafia Universe does, and that requires us to actually program a mafia bot. No small task.

Disadvantages such as? Also, have you even played a game that used a poll?
Vote history being one of the largest.
As long as your host updates votals fairly regularly, and hammer rules aren't in play the one "advantage" of having an instantaneous vote count is minuscule.

Being able to keep track of the wagons people were on, and the reasoning they joined said wagons can be a crucial tool for scumhunting.

I have toyed with the idea previously to make work easier for me as a host, but the potential for abuse and the loss of accurate vote history make it sound impractical to me. I doubt we'd stop a host who wanted to do it, but it doesn't seem worthwhile for the potential cost to the game imo.

Voting patterns. Stealth votes. The time and energy to maintain such a system.

The only way to make a poll system work would be to do it the way Mafia Universe does, and that requires us to actually program a mafia bot. No small task.

You are clearly ignoring the voting system on The Syndicate, which works perfectly fine. If someone votes stealthily, then you can just call them out for such. Voting patterns can still be tracked by putting the results in the update post. And I don't see how there's much time and energy that's required as you only have to update at every phase change, if anything the current system takes more time and energy as you have to constantly update the votals. Seriously, actually play a game on The Syndicate, you'll see that none of these are actual problems.

Vote history being one of the largest.
As long as your host updates votals fairly regularly, and hammer rules aren't in play the one "advantage" of having an instantaneous vote count is minuscule.

Being able to keep track of the wagons people were on, and the reasoning they joined said wagons can be a crucial tool for scumhunting.

Being able to post votals frequently is possible for some people, but for those like me who are busy it's not very feasible. Plus, you can still keep track of everything as the polls don't prevent people from posting. Again, play a game on The Syndicate and you'll see that these are not actual concerns.

The thing that I'm thinking about is that even if you post who voted where in the update post, that still loses every vote a player made that wasn't their final vote. I could have changed my vote 5 times as the phase wore on to try and be on the most opportunistic wagon possible, but if I didn't mention it, no-one would know.

You are clearly ignoring the voting system on The Syndicate, which works perfectly fine. If someone votes stealthily, then you can just call them out for such. Voting patterns can still be tracked by putting the results in the update post. And I don't see how there's much time and energy that's required as you only have to update at every phase change, if anything the current system takes more time and energy as you have to constantly update the votals. Seriously, actually play a game on The Syndicate, you'll see that none of these are actual problems.
I'm not going to play a game with such a flawed voting system.

If someone votes stealthily, then you can just call them out for such.
The only way you would know someone has voted is if you notice the vote count has changed, and then compare each vote to what you remember previously.

Voting patterns can still be tracked by putting the results in the update post.
That doesn't show when someone joined a wagon, how many times they changed their vote, if they are jumping on bandwagons just for the purpose of jumping on bandwagons.

And I don't see how there's much time and energy that's required as you only have to update at every phase change, if anything the current system takes more time and energy as you have to constantly update the votals.
In smaller games, the current system requires very little time and energy at all.

Seriously, actually play a game on The Syndicate, you'll see that none of these are actual problems.
No.

The only system I would consider better than ours is the one the guys over at Mafia Universe use.

The biggest flaw with TWR is how our queue works... our voting system works just fine.

The thing that I'm thinking about is that even if you post who voted where in the update post, that still loses every vote a player made that wasn't their final vote. I could have changed my vote 5 times as the phase wore on to try and be on the most opportunistic wagon possible, but if I didn't mention it, no-one would know.

In practice, that is not an actual problem. If someone votes like that and doesn't post an explanation, they'd almost certainly be either called out in thread or asked to explain their vote, making their voting patterns clear. Most people explain their votes anyway. Seriously, most of these arguments seem to assume that players won't be paying attention to the thread

I'm not going to play a game with such a flawed voting system.

You do realize you are talking about a site that has sent people to the finals of the Mafia championship, something that this site has never been able to accomplish? Seriously, it's getting quite noticeable that I'm the only one talking who has any experience with this system. I'm not even going to respond to the rest of your post if you're going to stay willfully ignorant.

In practice, that is not an actual problem. If someone votes like that and doesn't post an explanation, they'd almost certainly be either called out in thread or asked to explain their vote, making their voting patterns clear. Most people explain their votes anyway. Seriously, most of these arguments seem to assume that players won't be paying attention to the thread
You wouldn't know it was them though? All you'd know is that the votes changed, assuming you could even remember what the numbers were last, you'd have no idea who did it. All you'd have to do is shut up and no-one would have the knowledge that it was you and not someone else.

You wouldn't know it was them though? All you'd know is that the votes changed, assuming you could even remember what the numbers were last, you'd have no idea who did it. All you'd have to do is shut up and no-one would have the knowledge that it was you and not someone else.

Look. People pay attention to the thread. If the notice a vote that looks off or isn't elaborated, they'll call out the person who made the vote. And in most games, this isn't even a problem as people almost always explain their votes, or at least post who they're voting for, anyway.

Look. People pay attention to the thread. If the notice a vote that looks off or isn't elaborated, they'll call out the person who made the vote. And in most games, this isn't even a problem as people almost always explain their votes, or at least post who they're voting for, anyway.
You wouldn't know who made the vote in the first place though. Polls don't show who voted for which option. All you'd see is the numbers changing.

You do realize you are talking about a site that has sent people to the finals of the Mafia championship, something that this site has never been able to accomplish? Seriously, it's getting quite noticeable that I'm the only one talking who has any experience with this system. I'm not even going to respond to the rest of your post if you're going to stay willfully ignorant.
I don't care if they have or not... That is completely irrelevant.

If it works for them, that's for them to deal with. It would not work here, and our system is just fine. As you have been told for four different people already.

There is an option to set polls so that you can see who voted for what, I thought a mod of this site would know that
Oh is that what "display votes publicly" means? Very well then, I stand corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom