• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Sounding Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sorrow Blue: Then you just need a logical and compelling reason for him to be attacking the islands, like the Egyptian Gods for Marik, and the Sacred Beasts in GX. Psychopaths can be fun, but it also needs to make sense for them to be involved in dueling.

Otherwise, it sounds solid. Interesting setting, definite conflict. The only thing I'd suggest now would be some sort of mythic backstory, that makes duels more than a game--but you've probably got that covered.

@Renewal well, the Psychopath do has a reason for attacking the academy.
And yes, it involves the Egyptian gods so the Psychopath attacks the academy.

@Sorrow Blue;Could you reserve a spot for me? And could we pull a Bastion and have multiple decks? (The following statement is only valid and meant to be taken seriously if the answer is yes)

Ima bring back my three best decks using only older cards (Prior to The Gladiator Beasts release) :Chimeratech Overlord, Scorch, and F.F.G.D.

@Sorrow Blue: I'm interested as well. I'm not much of a duelist, but I love Yu-Gi-Oh as well. If you ever post that RP, count me in.

I have no effing clue xD

You could do a whole RP on the fashion woirld, so basically models, designers, editors, students, photographers e.t.c

You could be more specific and do like a school for upcoming fashion students e.t.c

I think I'd be the only one interested though....

I know! Maybe the characters have to fight demons to get their mega-fashionable and colorful skins, and can turn them into clothes! And the demons are all fashion models who can only be killed by beating them in beauty pageants!

@Renewal ah I see...
In that case, here's the current plot I have on my mind:
Arunafeltz is the floating kingdom, high in the clouds. It is also the location of the world most famous dueling academy. Arunafeltz is a floating kingdom surrounded with three floating islands – the glorious island Clardona, island of intelligence Juno, and island of prosperity Lighthalzen. The high technology is what allows this man made islands to exist. The island of intelligence is where the Students learns to become a good Duelist in the 'Dueling Academy'. Dueling academy is a huge, quite elegant-looking gothic styled castle, with many towers. The castle has extensive grounds with sloping lawns, flowerbeds and vegetable patches. This island is also called the island of wise men, since the grand library- the library that holds all knowledge in the world is located here.
The island of glory, Clardona, is where the dorms located. There's a lake called 'Summer Night Breeze' in the island. The lake is the most beautiful place in the Arunafeltz Kingdom.
The island of prosperity, Lighthalzen, is where the teachers resides and a popular hanging spot or dueling places. There's a place called the Battle Plaza, and this place is where you could see all kinds of duelist. Lighthalzen is the biggest island.

Along with the acceptance letter, first year students are sent a list of required equipment which includes a deck, subject books, and standard Duel Disk.
In order to get to Arunafeltz, you must go to Domino City and take a flight to Arunafeltz.

Are you ready to explore the academy?

Crappy, I know

Perfect timing. I just got back into Yu-Gi-Oh. I'll totally sign-up.

So, with Armeira slipping into Inactive Territory (serves me right for launching two massive roleplays so close together), I'm turning around the idea in my head of a smaller, more character-focused RP with the land and rich history of Armeira as its backdrop - sort of a... dare I say it...

Non-Pokémon Journey Roleplay

DUN DUN DUNNNNNN!!!

I like Renewal's Tron-Land from earlier, too, and I'll be back with another post once I get some ideas down.

All right, polished off the setting for the ARC Project a bit. First off, a simple banner:

arc_project_banner.png

So, principle's the same as my earlier post, except the ARC Project will have been running for a good decade by the time the RP starts. People have gotten used to the system; dissidents are seen as insane and dangerous extremists--why would anyone want to sacrifice this paradise for the hellhole that is Earth?

The virtual world is divided into four Dataspaces: Selene, Endymion, Ilion, and Ithaca.

Endymion is the primary Dataspace, where the vast majority of the Earth's population has uploaded their minds. It's fundamentally identical to the real world; however, many of the minor inconveniences of real life have been eliminated, along with a smattering of the fantastic technology possible in the virtual world.

Selene is the central Dataspace, directly overseeing Endymion and indirectly supervising Ilion and Ithaca. Selene is the only Dataspace with direct access to the real world, and is home to the ARC Project's leaders and overseers. As such, it is the most highly secured Dataspace, with incredible, physics-defying cyber-defenses.

Ilion is the ARC Project's military Dataspace; the comparatively few people who reside in Ilion are granted powerful offensive data-abilities, to facilitate the defense of the ARC Project from any virtual threats.

Lastly, Ithaca is the R&D Dataspace; it was the first Dataspace launched, and serves as a testing ground for advances in the ARC Project's software. It bears very little resemblance to reality, with its users granted access to incredible reality-altering powers. Here, the nature of the virtual world is most evident.

For powers, I've been thinking of granting each player something called a Dataset: a list of set powers based on the Dataspace their character is from. The Endymion Dataset is simple but adaptable, akin to a basic open-source project. Users who simply want to get on with their new lives can ignore it and stick with the core programming, while those with a little more skill can add some basic features, like enhanced physical ability to simple cybernetic gadgets. The Ilion Dataset is combat and security oriented, being able to create digital weaponry and armor; however, it's not capable of much beyond combat. Lastly, the Ithaca Dataset focuses on data manipulation, able to inspect and alter the surrounding data, but with little effect on the user themselves. And the Selene Dataset is near-godly control over the virtual world, and is naturally unavailable to players.

Ultimately, it's a sort of a re-skin of the classic Fighter-Mage-Thief trio, with Endymion players being a Thief-analogue, simple and adaptable, Ilion a Fighter-analogue, powerful but limited, and Ithaca a Mage-analogue.

So, thoughts, criticism, suggestions?

Last edited:
Sounds good. However, no offense, dude, but I kinda liked the system you used where characters level up based on amount of posts. Perhaps you could bring that back? Inalso like how you give people abilities based on missions. Maybe posts are for leveling up, but missions give people new equipment and bonus abilities in addition to ones earned through level-up? And speaking of, perhaps a way to combine datasets, for like fighter-rogue and magic-knight type classes would be cool too?

Combining Datasets sounds like a very good idea; I mean, in real life, people use so many different kinds of software at the same time. They hardly stick to the same original brand. For instance, I'm running Google Chrome on Windows while iTunes is running in the background. So yes, it sounds like an excellent and plausible concept.

My only problem is that leveling by posts might encourage pointless posts and tennising. That's why all of my new RPs dropped that in favor of reward-based system.

Combining Datasets sounds like a very good idea; I mean, in real life, people use so many different kinds of software at the same time. They hardly stick to the same original brand. For instance, I'm running Google Chrome on Windows while iTunes is running in the background. So yes, it sounds like an excellent and plausible concept.

My only problem is that leveling by posts might encourage pointless posts and tennising. That's why all of my new RPs dropped that in favor of reward-based system.
Well, there are ways to make Level-by-Post work - the current incarnation of Armeira is currently froze (ironically, considering the post-incentive :p), but in its original incarnation, the Level-by-Post system variant I was using worked very well.

Basically, posts had to be of a certain length (prevents pointless posts), a full paragraph specifically, and only one post per day counted toward Experience (thus preventing tennising for extra experience).

So, the ARC Project is more or less complete; all that's left are details for the setting and gameplay. I'll probably have the sign-up sometime in the next two weeks, when I actually have time. Thanks for all the help, guys!

Anyway, two new concepts:

Now, Once and Future: Another non-Pokemon RP. This one centers on an organization called the Keepers, who exist outside of reality, observing and maintaining the Tapestry of Time and the real world itself. However, some thing attacks their stronghold, and the Tapestry of Time is distorted and warped, mangling reality with a Parallel Storm: the various temporal planes, neatly arranged in a line, become more akin to a giant, tangled scribble, forcing them to exist in the same metaphysical space, parallel to each other.

So the Keepers enter reality, trying to figure out what the hell went wrong. As Keepers, they have the power to Parallel Shift, traveling through different time planes with a thought. In doing do, they discover Black Rings, massive gates that bind the planes, preventing the Keepers from restoring the natural order. Along the way, they encounter a group who also have the power to Parallel Shift: the Chasers. But the Chasers have a different agenda...

This one's more or less complete, plotwise; what I really need is input on the premise itself, the setting, and possible gameplay options. Thoughts, criticism, comments?

AND

Trinity: "Disturb not the harmony of fire, ice or lightning, lest these titans wreak destruction upon the world in which they clash." So yeah, this one comes from pure nostalgia. It's much more undefined compared to Now, Once and Future. For now, it's tentatively a Pokemon RP, though who knows, it might work better as a non-Pokemon RP...

Essentially, it takes the situation in the second Pokemon movie, and places it on an epic scale. For now, all I've got floating around are three rival but cooperative organizations--one each representing Fire, Ice, and Lightning--all maintaining some sort of delicate social/military/political balance, working in concert to restrain/protect some sort of object/monster/power source/pointless McGuffin.

So yeah, this one needs a lot of input. As always, ideas, thoughts, criticism?

BLACKOUT

Darkness.

Such a primal fear. For centuries, man has had a fear of the dark, for seemingly no reason. I, however, have found a reason. For it is not darkness itself that man fears, but what might spawn from that blackness. And, now I have accomplished a feat that no others have accomplished. I have used this common fear to bring most of America to its knees.

It was but a simple task. We raided the city of New York, and wherever we went, all electrical devices began powering down, shrouding the city in a black veil. And to those who showed no fear of the dark, we convinced them otherwise, by forcing them into the eternally black void that is death. We conquered what was formerly the Empire State Building, and what is now our new base of operations. And from there, we began to assert our hold over the majority of the country, by showing them the power of the dark.

New York was now surrounded by a forcefield that blocked any and all light. Any form of attack against the city that used electricity in any sense was rendered useless. Airplanes that attempted to bomb the city were disabled and sent crashing to the ground. Tanks and other land vehicles stopped in their tracks, to be destroyed by our troops not soon afterwards. Communication in and out of the city malfunctioned. But we were immune to these effects, as any device made by us was crafted to block them. We had an advantage, and that became more and more apparent with each passing day.

But now, we face puzzling events. Perhaps a side effect of my technology, people have began to develop supernatural capabilities. Some of them, including myself, are already in BLACKOUT, which makes them valuable assets. But some people who had already questioned my rule have been granted powers as well, and have banded together in a rebellion, calling themselves The Reborn.

And, to make matters worse, one of our scientists, Dr. Kazovic, was trying to make an unstoppable sentient species. However, he only succeeded in throwing a wrench in our perfectly laid plans. The Corrupted, the result of his experiments, are a race that also have supernatural powers, but can infect other organic beings, Corrupting them as well. Most creatures lose any sense of rational thought once they become Corrupted. However, in some cases, infected individuals have only become Tainted. They gain the powers of the Corrupted, but still maintain sentience, albeit with a distinctly warped mindset. This makes them all the more dangerous to put to rest. We do not have any further information about either of these species, but research will continue.

Our retaliation may be great. But in due time, we shall show them that everyone is afraid of the dark.

Basically, if you didn't bother to read the above introduction, this is a sci-fi, semi-futuristic tale of an organization named BLACKOUT that uses their technology to conquer and dominate. But, they face retaliation from The Reborn, a group of rebels with supernatural capabilities. Between those two, we also have The Corrupted, a species able to infect other organic creatures. The Corrupted are mainly led by The Tainted, which are Corrupted humans that have not lost sentience upon infection.

This RP is unique in that, there is no predetermined ending. Sure, I may throw in some scripted events here and there, but the outcome of the three-way war will primarily depend on the actions of the RPers on the three sides. In short, the plotline changes alongside the members.

I still need a bit of advice before this thing goes live, though. I already have most of the plot figured out, but I need a few more details to flesh things out a bit, things like gameplay specifics, or criticism on the plot I've made. Anything to add, guys?

This RP is unique in that, there is no predetermined ending.

That's actually pretty common these days. See Armeira and Star Force. Anyways, these don't work as well, mostly because people don't interact. You should find a way to make it so people band together in groups. Another problem is NPC interaction. If players do it themselves, it's too easy, they end up just writing about their characters beating people up. If the GM does it, the workload can become too much, and the PCs can only interact with NPCs when the GM is on. Perhaps you could get people to control specific groups of NPCs? Or maybe just a Co-GM or two.

This RP is unique in that, there is no predetermined ending.

That's actually pretty common these days. See Armeira and Star Force. Anyways, these don't work as well, mostly because people don't interact. You should find a way to make it so people band together in groups. Another problem is NPC interaction. If players do it themselves, it's too easy, they end up just writing about their characters beating people up. If the GM does it, the workload can become too much, and the PCs can only interact with NPCs when the GM is on. Perhaps you could get people to control specific groups of NPCs? Or maybe just a Co-GM or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom