• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[Theory/Opinion] what do you THINK the humans in the pokemon universe eat?

Moss

Reaction score
What's your theory/opinion about what the people in the pokemon universe eat? I've always wondered because you see a hint once or twice about eating pokemon but its never actually officially mentioned that pokemon are eaten I assume so but pokemon is aimed at a General audience i dont think little kids would like the idea of eating a pikachu. I honestly don't know what to think about it that's why I'm asking you.

You have several options here.

1) Tauros are raised for their meat, and people eat them. It's just a thing people try not to think about, similar to eating beef in the real world.
2) All people in the pokemon world are vegetarians, and there is no negative stigma attached to it like in the real world.
3) Synthetic food is widely available, in the form of lab-grown meat, vitamin supplements, etc
4) There are animals such as cows in the pokemon world that have no special fighting prowess and thus are not trained to fight like pokemon. They are eaten but humans never see where their food comes from.

Choose whichever one makes you feel the most comfortable

Other animals. And sometimes Pokemon.

Seriously, this question has been asked hundreds of times already. And all really hinges on whether you think other animals exist in the Pokemon world.

Also, what's with the large font and bold letters? Is this a thread for the blind?

Berries, fruits, anything except for Pokémon. The thought of humans eating Pokémon, sentient beings, disgust me. Not to mention eating Pokémon go against the concept of the series, which includes friendship towards Pokémon. You just... don't eat friends. Ew.

The thought of humans eating sentient beings disgusts me.

You should be aware that there is a long sliding scale about what is considered sentient or not. Some people consider dogs "too intelligent" to eat, but then again, an octopus is more intelligent than a dog and people generally don't mind eating those. In the same way, people are opposed to whaling, but pigs are kept in tiny crates and develop emotional problems because they are aware of their situation.

So I imagine in the pokemon world there are also different levels of sentience. I assume people would not want to eat Alakazam meat (especially since it appears to be a sub-species of humans?), but it doesn't appear that Tauros is as self-aware as Alakazam. Garbodor seems to be one of the least intelligent (not that you would want to eat it anyway LOL) since he seems to have developed as some radioactive mutant pile of trash, so I put him on a zombie level of intelligence.

My main point is that it's really hard to draw the line between eating an intelligent animal and eating an unintelligent animal. Where do you draw the line? Is Delcatty the least intelligent animal that you are unwilling to eat? And what if a good food source such as Miltank is more intelligent that the cutesy Delcatty you don't want to eat?

They feed off air. Their bodies are mutated to adapt with having no food, and have mental chips that allow them to entertain themselves without ever moving. Also, some have no need for sunlight or exercise.

I personally always thought Pokemon have had the lack of conscience and what not that animals have; it was like this in Generation I, and I still think this way, despite what more recent games say. But I agree with others, there is a borderline to it. You would probably eat the less sentinent Pokemon like Tauros, Miltank, or Goldeen in comparasion to Alakazam, Raichu, or Samurott.

Yeah, someone mentioned it. Pokemon used to be just like animals, so I totally thought they were a food source.
And Pokedex entries for Pokemon like Farfetch'd confirm that they can and have been eaten.
But then the Pokemon started being presented as more sentient and information like this stopped being given. But does that mean that the previous information is no longer true? Was there a retcon?

In early anime episodes there were at least other animals like fish that could be eaten.
But then that stopped happening too. The only non-human creatures you see anymore are Pokemon. There's not even small creatures like bugs.

With the advanced technology in the Pokemon universe, such as successful and viable cloning and teleportation, I suppose artificial meat IS a possibility.
The idea has always creeped me out in OUR world, but hey, if it's what they're used to...

So here are the facts that I have come to in my mind:
- Pokemon HAVE been eaten before, but that might have been retconned with the presentation of Pokemon as sentient
- There are no other non-human creatures besides Pokemon
- With their technology, artificial meat is a possibility
- The people in the Pokemon world are definitely not all vegetarian, they've been shown eating meat before

Lab grown meat creeps me out, but so does eating a rational, logical, sentient being.
So I'm going to say that humans eat a combination of plant matter and artificial meat, and maybe Pokemon eggs.
Some Pokemon may be less intellegent than others, and a possible food source, but if my headcanon stands, I don't think they're any less sentient.

Now Pokemon on the other hand TOTALLY eat other Pokemon if they're carnivorous.
That is un-disputably true.

You should be aware that there is a long sliding scale about what is considered sentient or not. Some people consider dogs "too intelligent" to eat, but then again, an octopus is more intelligent than a dog and people generally don't mind eating those. In the same way, people are opposed to whaling, but pigs are kept in tiny crates and develop emotional problems because they are aware of their situation.

I believe though that in our world there is a difference between intelligence and sentience.
In our world, I believe only humans are sentient. The ability to create, and reason, and imagine, and innovate for no other reason that the fact that we can separates us.
Animals can be incredibly intelligent, and with their generally better senses and closer connection to their instincts, can do somethings humans only wish they could do. And they can be trained to do some really impressive tricks. However, animals only operate on a level in which they use their energies to satisfy their basic needs.
Even the smartest animals that exhibit tool use or even concepts like empathy are still limited. They don't spend time contemplating their existence or what happens after death for example.

Now POKEMON on the other hand, I believe CAN think like that.
While also having better instincts and senses than humans, they can still exhibit creativity and reason and imagination.
We've seen them be diplomatic with each other. We've seen them pull pranks on people. Seen them dream about their future. Get their feelings hurt when some human says something mean.
Some can straight up hold CONVERSATIONS with humans.

And for example, there this webcomic I read where the main characters are Pokemon. And they're all pretty much people in how they act with each other.
They're all different species, and they all communicate just fine. So why would only certain species not be capable of this? Why would they not be able to understand a Tauros for example?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, someone mentioned it. Pokemon used to be just like animals, so I totally thought they were a food source.
And Pokedex entries for Pokemon like Farfetch'd confirm that they can and have been eaten.
But then the Pokemon started being presented as more sentient and information like this stopped being given. But does that mean that the previous information is no longer true? Was there a retcon?
It was definitely a retcon. BUT! It would be more interesting to think of it as a marketing campaign by the Pokemon PETA, who have apparently worked tirelessly behind the scenes to educate the Kanto public about exactly what they had been eating, and it actually resulted in a change in their diets for the better!
So I'm going to say that humans eat a combination of plant matter and artificial meat, and maybe Pokemon eggs.
Yes, this is the conclusion that I'm going with as well.

I believe though that in our world there is a difference between intelligence and sentience.
In our world, I believe only humans are sentient. The ability to create, and reason, and imagine, and innovate for no other reason that the fact that we can separates us.
Animals can be incredibly intelligent, and with their generally better senses and closer connection to their instincts, can do somethings humans only wish they could do. And they can be trained to do some really impressive tricks. However, animals only operate on a level in which they use their energies to satisfy their basic needs.
Even the smartest animals that exhibit tool use or even concepts like empathy are still limited. They don't spend time contemplating their existence or what happens after death for example.

Now POKEMON on the other hand, I believe CAN think like that.
While also having better instincts and senses than humans, they can still exhibit creativity and reason and imagination.
We've seen them be diplomatic with each other. We've seen them pull pranks on people. Seen them dream about their future. Get their feelings hurt when some human says something mean.
Some can straight up hold CONVERSATIONS with humans.
I thought about this and you may be right. After all, pokemon have the ability to learn new styles of attacking opponents that are taught by a human trainer. Even something as simple as a Flare Blitz Rapidash must have to be aware of its own body for it to be able to concentrate the heat in the air around it to burst into flames.

So, maybe sentience was one of the original advantages that separated pokemon from animals, because the pokemon could then focus further on their strengths.

I think that animals actually do exist in that world, they just aren't seen very often as they are farmed and used for food. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if ancient people ate Pokemon; it was hinted at in Sinnoh IIRC. As to whether they do that now, I think there would be those who frown on it so it isn't as common. And besides, I can't help but think some Pokemon might taste terrible. I mean, does roasted Geodude really sound all that appetizing?

I think that animals actually do exist in that world, they just aren't seen very often as they are farmed and used for food. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if ancient people ate Pokemon; it was hinted at in Sinnoh IIRC. As to whether they do that now, I think there would be those who frown on it so it isn't as common. And besides, I can't help but think some Pokemon might taste terrible. I mean, does roasted Geodude really sound all that appetizing?

Well some animals in our world don't taste good either. So the fact that some Pokemon might taste bad isn't a shocker.
But I still don't really think their are normal animals in their world. We NEVER see any non-human creatures except Pokemon these days.
Plus what would be the difference between animals and Pokemon? Can you catch normal animals in Pokeballs too?

Hm...This is tricky. But what I think, and what I use for my stories, is that there are other animals, but people eat some Pokemon, too, like Magikarp and stuff. Just not as often. That's just what I think, anyways. :) But who knows. ^o^

Well in one episode of the anime ash and everyone were starving and they were thinking of eating majicarp until misty pointed out than majicarp was impossible to eat. This must mean there must be a few pokemon they eat.

I agree with Dark Angel, but I do think that just like our world-- they might use the Pokemon for farming in addition to battling and pet-raising and whatnot just like we raise cows and pigs to make burgers and bacon... That is, if you've got the non-veggie diet. Also, they eat "jelly filled donuts" (applause to you, 4Kids), so I guess that infers they also make snacks just like the Japanese culture has Onigiri and the American culture has apple pies.

I think this may have already been said, though. I sort of skimmed the posts...

1. You obviously can't eat Ghost pokemon
2. Any pokemon in the Mineral Egg group might be impossible to eat. Like someone above said, Roasted Geodude... it's just a rock.
3. It might be safe to assume humans can eat Buffoulant, Tauros, Miltank, and maybe occasionally Stantler and Sawsbuck - and others in the Field Egg group (I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but I think so)

The Pokemon world seems to have its own food chains/webs. I'm thinking of Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky, where Taillow of Team Tasty obviously wants to devour Wurmple. Flying is strong against Bug for a reason.

The idea of eating meat in real life is horrifying when you think about it. I once saw a headless pig getting carried to a butcher's shop and it wasn't pretty. But if you don't think about what it is and just enjoy the taste, it's OK, right? After all, humans are omnivores, evolved to eat plant and animal matter. So I imagine the Pokemon world would be the same. But the real question is... do they eat eggs, and which Pokemon do the eggs come from?

It has occasionally been hinted at that Tauros steak is a common food, so I'd imagine there are other Pokémon people eat, but they don't eat many.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom